Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 11:02 PM   #1061
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
The key word is instant there. You'd be vaporized in a second.
Actually, the vapourisation isn't instantaneous.

The blast goes up first, then the city is sucked towards the bomb blast as 3,000, mph winds are sucked in to feed the fire......so most likely your crushed by a building, or if your outside your skin is ripped from you by the force of the winds, then your carried by the winds.....then the blast occures and your vapourised....so it's not instant death......still pretty quick tho....

Beatallica
Old 03-12-2003, 11:05 PM   #1062
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Oh, I do still hope that the move is towards a veto. That way everything stands of the shoulders of Tony Blair. If he goes to war then we remain America's allies, if he doesn't go to war then our standing with Russia, China, Germany and France is strengthened in the UN...when America does leave the UN, we have allies on both sides......The UK seems to be coming out of this in a win/win situation
Plain and simple, if the UN votes against supporting the war, and the US goes against the UN decision, the UN crumbles. It will then be shown to the world as a weaker organization than it is already seeming to be. Think about it, the only reason the US hasn't declared war yet is because we realize how important the UN is for that part of the world and for stability purposes. That is why we are giving them more time, we know that if we go against the UN that we will also be leaving the UN, most likely, and if that happens it will basically be smacking the UN in the face and showing that it is actually a weak organization. Also, the UN isn't really helping it's own cause by going against regulations and resolutions that they passed, It is like telling the world that their words are only that, words, and those said words will not be followed up with action. Now how is an organization supposed to survive if they treat themselves that way?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 PM   #1063
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Underestimating? I thought your argument has always been that we're just paranoid Americans.
You've been misunderstanding me.....power-mad, not paranoid

Beatallica
Old 03-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #1064
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
You've been misunderstanding me.....power-mad, not paranoid
LOL you are unbelievable
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-12-2003, 11:09 PM   #1065
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Plain and simple, if the UN votes against supporting the war, and the US goes against the UN decision, the UN crumbles. It will then be shown to the world as a weaker organization than it is already seeming to be. Think about it, the only reason the US hasn't declared war yet is because we realize how important the UN is for that part of the world and for stability purposes. That is why we are giving them more time, we know that if we go against the UN that we will also be leaving the UN, most likely, and if that happens it will basically be smacking the UN in the face and showing that it is actually a weak organization. Also, the UN isn't really helping it's own cause by going against regulations and resolutions that they passed, It is like telling the world that their words are only that, words, and those said words will not be followed up with action. Now how is an organization supposed to survive if they treat themselves that way?
Hmmm...I'm not sure if the UN will crumble if the US leaves.......I can see dramatic changes within' the UN tho', probably the UN will concentrate on looking to the affairs of the member countries instead of trying to police the world.......but hey!, we'll have America to do that for us

Beatallica
Old 03-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #1066
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
but hey!, we'll have America to do that for us
No actually you won't and you will be damn sorry we aren't...

--Linaewen
Old 03-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #1067
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
LOL you are unbelievable

Beatallica
Old 03-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #1068
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

The blast goes up first, then the city is sucked towards the bomb blast as 3,000, mph winds are sucked in to feed the fire......so most likely your crushed by a building, or if your outside your skin is ripped from you by the force of the winds, then your carried by the winds.....then the blast occures and your vapourised....so it's not instant death......still pretty quick tho....
oh well in that case bring on the bomb!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-12-2003, 11:12 PM   #1069
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Oh, I do still hope that the move is towards a veto. That way everything stands of the shoulders of Tony Blair. If he goes to war then we remain America's allies, if he doesn't go to war then our standing with Russia, China, Germany and France is strengthened in the UN...when America does leave the UN, we have allies on both sides......The UK seems to be coming out of this in a win/win situation
Oh - and those countries will really come running to help you if England is attacked by a terrorist or anything? The UN wouldn't be left standing if we left the UN.

Quote:

NKorea is already a much bigger problem....certainly wouldn't fancy sitting in a Tokyo restaurant at the mo'.
Let's think about HOW they became a bigger problem. I don't know - there were inspectors there. There was diplomacy. There were agreements. It's also amazing - I don't see the UN trying to fix the North Korea problem. Maybe because the UN is irrelavent and can't do anything unless pushed by the US.

By the way - my brother is stationed in Japan. So I'm aware of his situation with North Korea - I just think that we have to deal with Iraq first. If we leave Kuwait - the next time we go to deal with iraq - the problem will be like trying to deal with North Korea.

Quote:

Iraq is currently disarming, and yes, yes..I know the whole conspiracy theory of hidden weapons....but he can hardly use them can he?....Even Saddam isn't mad enough to let his entire country be destroyed in the backlash.
See tha's the problem - you just view it as a conspiracy theory - even when the UN says they have the chemical and biological weapons. In terms of being prevented form using them - are we supposed to keep 250,000 troops in Kuwait to prevent him from using them? Is France, Germany and Russia going to pay for our military or are they going to continue benefitting from their smuggling operations?

Quote:

Well, we can hope not....it's usually our lads that end up doing the fighting tho'.
I'm sure that's what your soldiers and media try telling you.
Quote:

Oh I'm pretty sure that Saddam already has terrorists working for him all over the world......In fact I can see terriorist attacks happing immediatly after the Iraq invasion.....I'd be surprised if they didn't go on for decades.
And if we don't go in.....? You seriously think that the outcome will be any different. Well yeah it will be - but instead of the terrorists not having a ready supply of Hussein's weapons and support from him - they will have to go somewhere else. I guess we really shouldn't go after Bin ladin. We should probably let the person we just captured a couple of weeks in Pakisatn go - the terrorists might get upset and attack us. We don't want to get them all upset at us and take revenge.

Quote:

JD I just love your use of history to give emphasis on the justification of an attack
I just love how you choose to ignore history.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-12-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:15 PM   #1070
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Oh - and those countries will really come running to help you if England is attacked by a terrorist or anything? The UN wouldn't be left standing if we left the UN.

Let's think about HOW they became a bigger problem. I don't know - there were inspectors there. There was diplomacy. There were agreements. It's also amazing - I don't see the UN trying to fix the North Korea problem. Maybe because the UN is irrelavent and can't do anything unless pushed by the US.
Also, North Korea only wants to deal with the US and they have specifically stated they don't want to deal with the UN. That right there tells a lot about the weakness of the organiztion that the UN is...

--Linaewen
Old 03-12-2003, 11:30 PM   #1071
jerseydevil

Quote:

I've seen videos of nuclear bomb blasts. If your in the area - it's pretty much instantaneous. And it's a lot quicker than spending a week in agony. I'll just feel sorry for the people who have to live through the radiation poisoning - that'll be similar to the a biological/chemical attack. I'm very glad I'm right in between New York and Philadelphia.

But North Korea is NOT going to attack the US - especially with a Nuclear weapon. We have A LOT more nuclear weapons than they do which we would use them if they did that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-12-2003, 11:35 PM   #1072
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:

But North Korea is NOT going to attack the US - especially with a Nuclear weapon. We have A LOT more nuclear weapons than they do which we would use them if they did that.
Who said anything about NKorea nuking the states?

Beatallica
Old 03-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #1073
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Actually, I don't even think NK has a nuke yet. I believe they are in the process of making one, but from the articles I've been reading it doesn't appear that they currently have one, I could be wrong though *shrug*

Also, it's horrible that the Pres. of NK is more concerned about trying to blackmail the world instead of helping his own people. There is one city in NK that has average living standards, everything else is below the poverty line. An attack would be stupid on their part anyway, because any retaliation from the world would just be at that one city where their nuke plant sites.

Anyway, back to Iraq

--Linaewen
Old 03-12-2003, 11:55 PM   #1074
jerseydevil

Quote:
Who said anything about NKorea nuking the states?
Well then why can't North Korea wait until we handle Iraq? All North Korea is right now is a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum. We gave them what they wanted before - now they're demanding more. We have military in the region. Stealth Bombers went out there today. We'll handle them after Iraq. While the world is waiting for the US - the UN can take up that problem. We know the UN has done SO much these last 20 years.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-13-2003, 03:58 AM   #1075
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Linaewen - there ARE links between Hussein and terrorism. He gives $25,000 - $50,000 to each family of a palestinian suicide bomber. He coudl be putting that money into supporting schools or other benefits for his people.
That's not what i was trying to get at. I wanted to show how 'conclusive' their evidence is. Without any solid evidence, the war is illegal. Of course i want to get rid Hussein, but why do they choose to do so now? Especially seeing as the links are not clear. Are they? I'm not sure.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:55 AM   #1076
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Without any solid evidence, the war is illegal.
Illegal to who? All I have to say is this:

"When it comes to our security, we really don't need anybody's permission."
--George Bush, 3/6/03

--Linaewen
Old 03-13-2003, 05:39 AM   #1077
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Illegal for a country to attack another for no clear reason
America is so hyprocritical- they were the ones who wanted the League of Nations to be set up- to 'settle disputes between countries peacefully
Now the ignore the UN
They should at least allow a little more time for the weapons inspectors and for the UN to come up with the best decision, so that the least lives are taken (especially innocent ones). Because we know that America bombs countries, then spends tiny amounts to repair it compared to the cost they spend on military, i.e. Afghanistan

In the words of my fabulous history teacher 'war gives a whole new generation of people another reason to hate', as will this one
Old 03-13-2003, 05:48 AM   #1078
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The US should return to the policy of isolationism. Return troops from all EU countries, cut foreign aid out, and put troops on our borders to protect our country. Let the rest fight amongst themselves as to how they'll stop a dicator .
As for the UN, it is UNimportant and we should pull out of it and have it shipped to France. We don't need it as it's ineffectual, highly critical of all the US does and is run by such giants as K.A. and giant states like Angola, Cammeron and Syria. What a joke.
Lets see how the world does without our presence.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:58 AM   #1079
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

And how will you stop the evil dictator? By bombing innocent Iraqis he evidently cares nothing about? Like in Afghanistan, how you bombed schools etc?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:06 AM   #1080
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Well then why can't North Korea wait until we handle Iraq? All North Korea is right now is a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum. We gave them what they wanted before - now they're demanding more. We have military in the region. Stealth Bombers went out there today. We'll handle them after Iraq. While the world is waiting for the US - the UN can take up that problem. We know the UN has done SO much these last 20 years.
That's true..
It's probably best to let an actual dictator who holds nuclear weaponry wait while he happily blackmails your govenment for aid

Beatallica
Closed Thread