Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:27 PM   #1061
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I'm re-reading Northanger Abbey - one of the greatest pleasures in life! - and I think I'm about to start Bleak House, but I haven't decided yet. Dickens is such an investment of time
Oh, Bleak House is SO worth it!! You just need to adopt my style of reading Dickens - the guy got paid by the page (or at least I heard that once), and the sections where he was evidently hard up for that month are pretty evident - I just scan read those sections. But Bleak House is well worth reading. If you get bogged down in a slow part, just skip over it.

IIRC, Northanger was one of CS Lewis' favorite novels for just a fun read.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #1062
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I'm reading Catch-22 for the tenth time. I think it's my favorite book ever.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 12-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #1063
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Zinnite
I'm reading Catch-22 for the tenth time. I think it's my favorite book ever.

As for reading, if nonfiction counts, I'm reading a interesting nonfiction book that presents an objective (but somewhat sympathetic) account of FDR: Freedom From Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945. It's amazing, but the present Republican Party's antagonism to social welfare programs like Social Security, medical insurance, minimum wages, etc. is just a continuation of a 70+ years crusade against them.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-03-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #1064
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

RÃ*an:
You want to know about "Farmer Giles" and "Adventures of Tom B."? They're both great...
"Farmer Giles" is about a comfortable farmer who ends up having to fight a dragon to save his country. The farmer is sort of like Bilbo, in that he doesn't go looking for adventure, but adventre comes knocking on his door. I really liked it, and it was short and easy to read. Good for children and adults alike.
"The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" is actually a collection of 16 poems (introduced as from the Red Book ). The first two are about Tom Bombadil, but all the others are about different things: a troll, an oliphaunt, a princess, the man in the moon, a mariner, etc. All very different, but they work well together as a single collection. I really loved these poems as well.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)

Last edited by Shadowfax : 12-03-2003 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #1065
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

As to what I'm reading now...I think I'm going to read some more tales from The Canterbury Tales (I've already read the Miller's, the Wife of Bath's, and the Nun's Priest's). Probably the Knight's, then I dunno.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

Old 12-05-2003, 02:37 AM   #1066
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I'm well into crime and punishment now....
i'd say its dostoevsky's next greatest after the brothers k.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 PM   #1067
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I'm working my way through a stack of old Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazines from 1098 and 1999.

edited to correct grammar

Last edited by cee2lee2 : 12-06-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #1068
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
RÃ*an:
You want to know about "Farmer Giles" and "Adventures of Tom B."? They're both great...
No, you misunderstood me - I wanted to know your opinion, because I've read them and really like them and like to hear what others think. What do you think of Smith and Leaf? Those are really quite thought-provoking, IMO. Giles and Tom are more just plain fun.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:16 PM   #1069
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Magician by R Feist.

Quote:
Originally posted by cee2lee2
I working my way through a stack of old Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazines from 1098 and 1999.
Woah! Did Asimov time-travel or something?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #1070
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Cee2Lee2
I working my way through a stack of old Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazines from 1998 and 1999.

About Isaac Asimov. His 2 volume autobiography is interesting and well-written, but the trouble is, in it he's so smug and arrogant I couldn't get through the first volume.
Some of his novels hold up very well, such as"Childhood's End", but, as a history major in college, I thought the Foundation Trilogy was flawed and lacking in believable depth (a scientist's concept of writing history- interested mainly in the technilogical aspects, as opposed to JRRT's layered world).

Also, a book I occasionally reread is "The Incomplete Enchanter", by L. Speague DeCamp. Hilarious! Written in the 1940s and 1950s, but holds up well. The hero, a Chicago psychologist, travels to the worlds of Norse legend and Spenser's Fairie Queen, where magic really works. Now if only he had gotten to Middle-earth

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-06-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #1071
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
No, you misunderstood me - I wanted to know your opinion, because I've read them and really like them and like to hear what others think. What do you think of Smith and Leaf? Those are really quite thought-provoking, IMO. Giles and Tom are more just plain fun.
Ah, so sorry! I absolutely loved Smith and Leaf both. I think I like Smith a bit more, though, partly because I found it a tad easier to understand. A good friend of the family has been trying to get me to read them for a while, now, and I'm so glad I did. I think it's really cool how Leaf can be seen as a parallel of Tolkien's life and work. Yeah, I agree with what you said before, too, about Smith being sad. It is. So yeah, I thought they were both really good.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:12 PM   #1072
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

To tidy up some mess in my life I'm going to make a list of which books I'm currently reading:

LotR - FotR (Just started anew)

The Iliad (song two or three)

The Complete Works of William Shakespear (half way through A Midsummer Night's Dream)

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (half way through)

War! ("Krig!" By Knut Nærum)

The Odyssey (just started)

Suleiman, Emperor of the East (old book, I suspect I'll never finish it because I don't know where I stopped last time and many of the pages have disappeard.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #1073
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Oh! So many great classics! What to read? What to read?

I am still not finished with my book! It's good. It's very good. It's just that...I can't seem to pick it up as often as I'd like to. Just too heavy...ok....I know what you are all saying...excuses, excuses...

Last edited by jellyfishannah : 12-08-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:19 PM   #1074
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by jellyfishannah
Oh! So many great classics! What to read? What to read?
I'd suggest anything by Douglas Adams (especially The Hitch-hiker's guide), anything by Terry Pratchett, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman or The Call of the Wild by Jack London (an excellent book).

Oh, and the Silmarillion (if you haven't already read it).
Quote:
Originally posted by jellyfishannah
I am still not finished with my book! It's good. It's very good. It's just that...I can't seem to pick it up as often as I'd like to. Just too heavy...ok....I know what you are all saying...excuses, excuses...*feels stab of self-pity*
Which book is that? Self-pity is healthy!

Last edited by Falagar : 12-08-2003 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #1075
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Just finished the last in the Area-51 series and now reading "Black Ice" about the cyber terrorist threat. I've got to take a Valium now.!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 PM   #1076
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'd suggest anything by Douglas Adams (especially The Hitch-hiker's guide), anything by Terry Pratchett, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman or The Call of the Wild by Jack London (an excellent book). Oh, and the Silmarillion (if you haven't already read it).
I have read His Dark Materials. Enjoyed it a lot except for a few things I did not agree with....but this isn't the place to talk about it....

Anyway....oh yes. The Silmarillion. I really should read that. Can you believe it? I claim to be an ardent tolkien fan and I have not read The Silmarillion? Blasphemy!!

I guess it's not that bad since there are "tolkien fans" who have never even read the LOTR books.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #1077
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Hey, did you take my towel?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:29 PM   #1078
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I can't believe I haven't posted here before

Currently reading Seabiscuit, it is very good

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Old 12-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #1079
Pimpernel
Enting

me? currently reading...The Count of Monte Christo (sp?).
and TFotR and the Sil...(but I'm always reading Tolkien)
just kidding, I only wish I was Eru...power is good..except I would get corrupted so know...and why am I writing all of this randomness that's popping into my head that you don't give a rat's tail about.....??
Old 12-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #1080
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I've started to reread A Wrinkle in Time. Will probably go on to the other 3 in the quartet when I'm done with it.
Closed Thread