Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #1041
inked
Elf Lord

Correct, concise, well-phrased! Admirable job, Lief! *hand clapping* +standing ovation+
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #1042
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I think that when a nonbeliever does good and righteous things in this life, their actions are from and through God.
fair enough, and very well said... i did in fact say earlier that i do believe conversions can come about via religion... i just don't necessarily think god has anything to do with it

but back to this nonbeliever, yet extremely good person... even if i buy the fact that his "goodness" comes from god... if he never chooses to recognize god for whatever reason... maybe deep down he just doesn't sincerely believe god exists, is never convinced throughout his lifetime, and does not want to be insincere... would that person go to heaven?

feel free to answer lief or rÃ*an, yes or no... then as much explanation as you like
Old 01-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #1043
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
My question to you - given your worldview, why should Anne Sullivan have bothered with Helen Keller? I mean, Helen would never have known she was missing anything if they just left her wild. Was it a good thing what Anne did with her? Was it "right"? Would it have been a tragedy for Helen to have been left in her wild state, without communication? Why or why not?
well, it was the profession anne choose to practice, so she had a good bit of personal reasons to be successful... and if you read about her real life, there is a lot that the movie fails to mention

we see many people who go to extraordinary effort to do great things for society, sometimes risking their own well-being... MLK, Ghandi, etc... their motivations are also a combination of what is good for the self and good for society... they choose to take personal risk in order to achieve a greater greater good society, because they know it is ultimately good for them and their offspring/families... one can not discount the personal gains of fame and financial security either, as at least part of the picture

Quote:
(and please, please, please answer my other questions in the post above this one!)
ok, repost the questions you want me to answer and i will try again
Old 01-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #1044
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

dug 'em up

Quote:
Let me phrase it another way - IF it is indeed true that the God described in the Bible exists, and it is indeed true that He can help a person who turns to Him to grow immensely in love for others, and you knew this, would you turn to Him for help, or would you prefer to just use your own resources, even though it meant that you would be less loving to others?
i would always continue to use my own resources (it's what i have )... but if something popped up, say like homosexual behavior, that seemed okay by me... and yet i knew it was against the bible, and i accepted the fact that the "bible knows best", obviously i would follow the bible's teachings

ultimately though, i would still be following my own resources, 'cause it is those exact resources that would have lead me to believe in the bible

Quote:
IF the "no matter how good" story is actually an accurate description of the true state of things, would you still prefer to let "new, and maybe yet untold stories" shape your view of the world, even if some of those stories are totally wrong and could harm others?
i'd judge everything on it's own merits... but, again, if i believed the bible was the ultimate source of the truth... i would use that as the final judge on all "new" stuff... of course, one very important caveat is interpretation... many things in the bible can be interpreted many ways so i would probably formulate my own, since there is no "final authority" here on earth
Old 01-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #1045
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

thanks for being so patient with those questions

I think we're all responsible for how we use our own "resources".

As far as Helen Keller, that's not quite what I meant ... you're focusing more on Anne, while I wanted to focus on Helen (btw, Helen and Teacher is a great book - lots of info on Anne's early life, and their later lives and other helpers, and Helen's life after Anne, etc.).

I'm trying to get a feel of your feeling of the idea of personal worth. Would it have been a tragedy for Helen to have been left alone in her wild, non-communicative state, IYO, independent of whether or not it benefitted Anne or society?

Or maybe just give a post on your ideas of personal worth, and what you base them on, and how these ideas affect your dealings with others.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #1046
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

And who do you think is going to win the Super Bowl?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #1047
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
And who do you think is going to win the Super Bowl?
the patriots again, of course
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #1048
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
I'm trying to get a feel of your feeling of the idea of personal worth. Would it have been a tragedy for Helen to have been left alone in her wild, non-communicative state, IYO, independent of whether or not it benefitted Anne or society?

Or maybe just give a post on your ideas of personal worth, and what you base them on, and how these ideas affect your dealings with others.
i'm not exactly sure what you mean by "personal worth"

however, helping others out of tragic situations is always a positive thing for the one who is helped, and for the one who helps... it all ties in with my "good for society" statement... the sick, the poor, or the discriminated have negative effects on society as a whole... and even if you live in some rich gated community, the existance of those in less-fortunate circumstances will lead to more violence, crime and disease... negatives that can intrude upon the most guarded of communities

and again, one can not discount the recognition and social status that come to those who do good things for those around them... we like to call these "selfless actions", which might be a bit of a misnomer... even something like throwing oneself upon a grenade to save your comrades is motivated at a gut-level by that sense of "society-preservation" that is developed within most of us as we grow up and realize that the well-being of our society is just as important as our own well-being
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #1049
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

btw... what about my question?

Quote:
but back to this nonbeliever, yet extremely good person... even if i buy the fact that his "goodness" comes from god... if he never chooses to recognize god for whatever reason... maybe deep down he just doesn't sincerely believe god exists, is never convinced throughout his lifetime, and does not want to be insincere... would that person go to heaven?

feel free to answer lief or rÃ*an, yes or no... then as much explanation as you like
for instance, a Mahatma Gandhi, who did many great things for society, was a very firm believer in a god, yet that god was the hindu god... would he go to heaven?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #1050
inked
Elf Lord

brownjenkins,

"i'd judge everything on it's own merits... but, again, if i believed the bible was the ultimate source of the truth... i would use that as the final judge on all "new" stuff... of course, one very important caveat is interpretation... many things in the bible can be interpreted many ways so i would probably formulate my own, since there is no "final authority" here on earth"

I'd judge everything on it's own merits...but again, if I believed the "good of society" was the ultimate source of the truth...I would use that as the final judge on all "new" stuff...of course, one very important caveat is interpretation...many things in the "good of society" can be interpreted many ways so I would probably formulate my own, since there is no "final authority here on earth"

Which is precisely the problem, Sir. Why should your view of the good of society be preferable to Hitler's, or Stalin's or Idi Amin's, or Sadaam Hussein's, or Eva Peron's or Franco's or Mao's or Ho Chi Minh's or Albert Sweitzer's or Albert Einstein's?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-18-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #1051
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Which is precisely the problem, Sir. Why should your view of the good of society be preferable to Hitler's, or Stalin's or Idi Amin's, or Sadaam Hussein's, or Eva Peron's or Franco's or Mao's or Ho Chi Minh's or Albert Sweitzer's or Albert Einstein's?
unlike some i would never be so bold as to claim my view is the best... my worldview is not what "i would like to see" but what i actually see in the world around me... whether we talk of religion or politics, the most successful societies long-term tend to be the ones that do the best job of balancing self-interest with society's interest (the USA, for example)... the one's that don't, like many you listed, may have successes short-term, but tend to either completely fail, or adjust in such a way over time to move towards that balance

roman catholicism is a good example, by the book, it is quite strict in terms of law and tradition... even more so 1000 years ago... often going against societies self-interest on something like birth control even today... but in the reality of today's world, many if not most catholics do not practice their religion quite so strictly... or they have splintered off over time to "christian" belief systems that lose the more controversial "absolutes"

basically, over time, while there are always those who cling to "tradition"... and even temporary setbacks when certain charismatic individuals try to institute a system more firmly-based in the absolute... be it communists in china, muslims in the middle east, or "socially conservative" politicians in the world's democracies... change wins out, and societies eventually adjust or get left behind

those that change over time tend to be the most successful and peaceful... those that cling to tradition tend to eventually build up enough animosity in the general populace that radical, and often violent, change eventually breaks out
Old 01-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #1052
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
btw, the quotes from me on this were in response to rÃ*an's stipulation that "if i believed in god, how would i formulate my morals"

i do not believe in god... thus, all morals are relative and there is no "best"... other than what leads to the most peaceful and prosperous future for the human race
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #1053
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
unlike some i would never be so bold as to claim my view is the best... my worldview is not what "i would like to see" but what i actually see in the world around me... whether we talk of religion or politics, the most successful societies long-term tend to be the ones that do the best job of balancing self-interest with society's interest (the USA, for example)... the one's that don't, like many you listed, may have successes short-term, but tend to either completely fail, or adjust in such a way over time to move towards that balance

roman catholicism is a good example, by the book, it is quite strict in terms of law and tradition... even more so 1000 years ago... often going against societies self-interest on something like birth control even today... but in the reality of today's world, many if not most catholics do not practice their religion quite so strictly... or they have splintered off over time to "christian" belief systems that lose the more controversial "absolutes"

basically, over time, while there are always those who cling to "tradition"... and even temporary setbacks when certain charismatic individuals try to institute a system more firmly-based in the absolute... be it communists in china, muslims in the middle east, or "socially conservative" politicians in the world's democracies... change wins out, and societies eventually adjust or get left behind

those that change over time tend to be the most successful and peaceful... those that cling to tradition tend to eventually build up enough animosity in the general populace that radical, and often violent, change eventually breaks out
Well put Bj! Live in the real world!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #1054
inked
Elf Lord

Well dodged,rather, Lizra!

brownjenkins,

I do not think that you are so blind to your valuation of the good as the absolute standard you allegedly defer. The whole of your response reeks of value judgments which you leave unqualified and without basis. The absolutes may be controversial but that is because they are stated and ranked. One may quibble about those hiearchies and ranks. But in your system the "good of society" is so sancrosanct it cannot be defined as absolute, yet you justify the choice on the basis of ranking outcomes by the same arbitrary standard - yourself, as best I can determine. You have a set of values which function as absolutes in your valuations. Failing to name them absolute does not make them not absolute - it makes them "uncontestable" in any sense, the very embodiment of Big Brother as known in the Fuhrer, Stalin, Mao, and Ho Chi Minh.

While I concur with Lizra that this is a form of reality for many, it is not the optimum reality.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #1055
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Well dodged,rather, Lizra!

brownjenkins,

I do not think that you are so blind to your valuation of the good as the absolute standard you allegedly defer. The whole of your response reeks of value judgments which you leave unqualified and without basis. The absolutes may be controversial but that is because they are stated and ranked. One may quibble about those hiearchies and ranks. But in your system the "good of society" is so sancrosanct it cannot be defined as absolute, yet you justify the choice on the basis of ranking outcomes by the same arbitrary standard - yourself, as best I can determine. You have a set of values which function as absolutes in your valuations. Failing to name them absolute does not make them not absolute - it makes them "uncontestable" in any sense, the very embodiment of Big Brother as known in the Fuhrer, Stalin, Mao, and Ho Chi Minh.

While I concur with Lizra that this is a form of reality for many, it is not the optimum reality.
you could not be more wrong... but i'm afraid i'll have to point out your error later

or better yet, read my signature

here's a hint... the key word is change
Old 01-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #1056
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
here's a hint... the key word is change
Ah, "change" - the god of the self-proclaimed godless!

brownie, I didn't answer your question because you said Lief OR RÃ*an, and being a trained computer scientist, I realized your condition was met when Lief answered!

I also didn't answer it because ah'm not on the hotseat, m'dear!

But if you would really like me to, then I will.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #1057
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I also didn't answer it because ah'm not on the hotseat, m'dear!
You're never off the hot-seat... gwahaha!!!

Brownie, I'm just jumping in, so someone may have asked this already. In fact, I bet someone did. So you can either give any length of detail you like, or ignore.

Do you believe in any higher power of undefined, yours, or other definition?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake†thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #1058
inked
Elf Lord

It is really simple. If any society defines the good as it chooses, there is no basis on which to judge other societies status quo. If it applies to individuals, there is no basis to judge individuals, as each is equally arbiter of the good.

That is not what you truly act on in your defense of the good of society, brownjenkins. If it were, you would have no basis for comparison. And you could not recognize "change" as for the better or not. It would merely be difference.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #1059
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

One can base one's standards on being a decent human being without religion.

Erm... sorry Brownie... Um... my other hot seat question to you is do you agree or disagree with the above statement.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake†thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #1060
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
One can base one's standards on being a decent human being without religion.

Erm... sorry Brownie... Um... my other hot seat question to you is do you agree or disagree with the above statement.
i can base my standards on being a decent buddhist ie following basic moral teachings
Closed Thread