Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:58 AM   #1021
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

A Smile for the season

Old 09-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #1022
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

My vent today: what can you do with two pet turtles if one keeps biting the other?!?

Of course, it was predictable, two males... But I always thought the bigger one's going to hurt the smaller. No, it's the other way around. *sigh*

Seems I've got only two choices: either to separate them somehow or to give away one of them. Separation will be tricky... suppose we'll have to buy two smaller terrariums and somehow try to sell the big one we have now. Giving away would be easier, of course... but... I just don't feel like it, you know Surely turtles aren't like other pets - you can't play with them, you can't caress them, you can't teach them - you can only enjoy their beauty. But by taking them in, I became responsible for them. I just can't get rid of one if the situation gets somewhat difficult.

So, tomorrow I'm taking the bitten one to the vet, and see what I can do about terrarium problem. *sigh*

Turtles! Only two turtles! And I feel worried, and miserable, and responsible for them. The animal named 'human' is surely the strangest of all...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #1023
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

What a sweet vent! Poor turtle! I know it's a problem you are having, but I couldn't help smile at the poignancy of your vent, littleadanel! People vent about all sorts of things here, but I never heard a vent about bickering turtles. Maybe you should try and find a separate terrarium so they each can have their own "room." Or, are they naturally indigenous to your area of the world? If so, you might be able to set them free. Not if they aren't indigenous, though, because then they would perish.

I love the word "turtle." I just love saying it, it's such a cute word...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #1024
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Turtles are so cute! A friend of mine has two, and it's so nice to see them walk around in the house. I'd loved to have turtles myself. Or maybe just one. But if I had two, I could ducktape them together, back against back, and they would be invincible! (partly taken from bash.org)
Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #1025
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

*replying to Lotesse*

Yep, I was actually smiling while I wrote it... sort of a silly-unusual-vent feeling. Reminds me of what I feel like when I happen to take my turtle to the vet. People all around me, with cats and dogs, and if someone wants to start talking, he/she usually starts by saying: 'And where is your... um...' and I lift up my hands holding a tiny thing wrapped in a cloth: 'Here. Yes, a turtle.'
And no, I suppose I can't release him... there's a place called Aquarium-Terrarium here, though, but they have more than enough of unwanted pet turtles. And actually mine isn't unwanted... I just don't want him to be close to the other

Last edited by littleadanel : 09-29-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:45 PM   #1026
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
Turtles are so cute! A friend of mine has two, and it's so nice to see them walk around in the house. I'd loved to have turtles myself. Or maybe just one. But if I had two, I could ducktape them together, back against back, and they would be invincible! (partly taken from bash.org)
Yep, they're cute (if not fighting..)
Mine are like this:

Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #1027
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
My vent today: what can you do with two pet turtles if one keeps biting the other?!?
Having been to the Cayman Islands recently: Turtle Soup

personally it doesn't taste that good
Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #1028
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Holy crap, there's a forest fire near your house? (If my inference from the last post is right.)
We're not in the canyons, so we're really pretty safe, and the wind is still blowing away from us. It's just on the edge of our community to the east and south. However, I have friends in Wood Ranch, and they just evacuated the elementary school there as a precautionary measure.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:18 PM   #1029
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock

You've been to the Caymans, Spock? Me, too! A long time ago, when I was a kid, me & my father went on a cruise, and Grand Cayman was one of our stops. We went to a turtle farm, where they help the turtles - I've got all sorts of pics of me picking up turtles and kissing them! I do love animals...
Turtle soup is pretty popular in the Caribbean, I think. I, however, would NEVER eat turtle soup. That's like eating kittens, as far as I'm concerned.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #1030
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Rats - it's moving into Simi more ... now the Bridle Path area is being threatened, and there's tons of horses there.

I'm still in good shape, but this is definitely affecting my friends.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-29-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #1031
Mercutio

This seems kind of trivial compared to mono and brush fires, but my dog just chewed a hole in one of my favorite shirts

I was having a bad week until today. Everything today was going fine, though. Until now.

And I have two essays still to write and a book to annotate for class tomorrow. I thought I'd have been done more by tonight

I fell like collapsing.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #1032
Rían

ugh - sorry, Merc! Good luck - make yourself some tea and just dive in and attack it!

Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #1033
Mercutio

I'm starting the first one...

"Change and alienation are themes that are featured frequently in literature. Compare and contrast the characters Okonkwo [from Things Fall Apart] and Marlow [from Heart of Darkness] as they experience change and alienation in their lives."

I've really no right to vent/complain about a hole in a shirt. After all, so many people in the Gulf lost all their clothing...plus their house, furniture, belongings, job, even family.

*Merc now dives into her essay*

Last edited by Mercutio : 09-29-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #1034
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I'm starting the first one...

"Change and alienation are themes that are featured frequently in literature. Compare and contrast the characters Okonkwo [from Things Fall Apart] and Marlow [from Heart of Darkness] as they experience change and alienation in their lives."

I've really no right to vent/complain about a hole in a shirt. After all, so many people in the Gulf lost all their clothing...plus their house, furniture, belongings, job, even family.

*Merc now dives into her essay*
her? I thought you were a guy. Oops.
Ooh, I did an essay like that in high school.
*shudders at mention of Heart of Darknesss*

Segovia Mazes
Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 PM   #1035
Mercutio

1/2 way done my essay. I've got the change/alienation for Marlow down now.

I actually really liked Heart of Darkness.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #1036
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Yeah, it was interesting, I guess... Just disturbing. It did have lots of symbolism and stuff
Old 09-30-2005, 01:48 AM   #1037
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Glad to know you're not in the riskier zone R*an. Two years ago, there were some pretty big fires near my home town. We lived in the middle of the city and our house wasn't threatened at all, but we felt bad for people who had to evacuate, and some people's houses or the place they worked was destroyed. The community really pulled together though, it was great. There was a lot of support and fundraising, plus the fire crews were awesome. BC has among the best fire fighters in the world.

littleadanel, is the terrarium with your turtles big enough to put a dividing wall down the middle? You can do that with fish tanks (though obviously terrariums and turtles are quite different).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 10-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #1038
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock

Ouch! Well, that's one solution... it didn't occur to me though
Btw, turtles heal incredibly quickly. The wound was there in the evenig, by next morning it was closed. The vet didn't have much to do with it. And they seem to get on well now. So, as long as I don't see another wound, they can stay together

Oh and R*an, I heard it on the radio yesterday that the fire is finally "under control". Hope it means they could extinguish it by now.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #1039
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Why don't people freaking listen to me?!

I ASKED the choir master not to make me sing the same part as my dad--I BEGGED him. Where does he always put me? Not just on the same part, but right NEXT to my dad.

I ASKED one of the men not to invite my dad to join the Knights of Columbus--once again I BEGGED him not to. What does he do -EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY-? Try to get my dad to join.

Why the hell does no one listen to me?! Do they think it's funny to always do exactly what I ask them not to? I am so p.o.ed right now I could scream.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #1040
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Why don't people freaking listen to me?!

I ASKED the choir master not to make me sing the same part as my dad--I BEGGED him. Where does he always put me? Not just on the same part, but right NEXT to my dad.

I ASKED one of the men not to invite my dad to join the Knights of Columbus--once again I BEGGED him not to. What does he do -EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY-? Try to get my dad to join.

Why the hell does no one listen to me?! Do they think it's funny to always do exactly what I ask them not to? I am so p.o.ed right now I could scream.
A very, VERY familiar feeling...
I just hate when my words seem to have no effect at all. I hate the feeling that however hard I try, I just can't make people to see & respect my point as well.
What I always try to do is to rise above these kinds of people. (Being upset is taking a revenge on ourselves for other people's stupidity, as my mom says.)
But it doesn't always work... Sometimes screaming can help, too. At least to feel somewhat better.