Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 AM   #1001
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Aaaaaaargh! This is really bugging me! What should I do?

Let it slide, or confront her?

Sexism really pisses me off. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I didn't say anything.

I know how you feel. I personally try to speak up whenever I hear someone wrongly abused behind their back or to their face. Not that it's at all necessary to seek out a confrontation over it. If you feel it would be at all helpful to her or important to do that though, by all means do. I don't usually bother seeking out a confrontation to make up for missed opportunities at speaking up for what I feel is right, but if the opportunity to speak up shows its face again, I'll take it the second time. That's just my way of reacting.

If she talks about it again though, it would probably be useful to voice your own views so that she knows what you think and perhaps might be led to think again. Though it sounds like you've already expressed what you think, at least in part . If the situation comes up again (or you choose to start the conversation), try not to sound as angry as you do now!

Once I knew a girl who was really down on boys, and I talked with my mother about it. My mother's response was very simple. "Her loss."
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-31-2006 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 AM   #1002
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Justin Timberlake
Typical woman--jumps to conclusion.
Hey, isn't that jumping to a conclusion as well?

Quote:
It is a temporary, naturally pig-headed opinion that will (most likely) change when she experiences a larger sample of the male subset.
But here I think you are right.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:57 AM   #1003
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I don't know how I missed littleadanel and RJT's posts when I wigged out. RJT, that really sucks! On the plus side, at least you'll feel much better after you've tossed your cooks.

That isn't the slightest bit comforting now though. I'm sorry you feel ill. *hugs* <gross>
You must be confused. It is never gross to hug heem.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:01 AM   #1004
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
I think it's more like jumping behind a parapet before N manages to tackle me.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:09 AM   #1005
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadenel
Quote:
Typical woman--jumps to conclusion.

Of course that was a big overgeneralization. But I must confess, I do sometimes feel the same way Mr. Timberlake does! At least two or three women have gotten mad at me because of judging me too quickly, and no men have done that. And there were a couple women who judged me as really, really nice because of just one or two gentlemanly things I did for them, which was also really strange to me. So it looks to me like a pretty high number of younger women often do leap to conclusions rather rapidly about people. That's been my personal experience, anyway. Though that is far from universal. I've known some very, very clear headed women too . Young women also who are very clear headed . Like you .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #1006
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
N, let it slide. It is a temporary, naturally pig-headed opinion that will (most likely) change when she experiences a larger sample of the male subset. Typical woman--jumps to conclusion.
Yes, my new nickname is catching on! Woo!

Okay, I'll let it slide this time. Maybe she's just mad today. Before she's only said stuff like that jokingly.

Also, I did not miss the hilarious irony of "Typical woman--jumps to conclusion." Well done! I also did not miss the incorrect grammar, that should read, "Typical woman, jumping to conclusions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I know how you feel. I personally try to speak up whenever I hear someone wrongly abused behind their back or to their face. Not that it's at all necessary to seek out a confrontation over it. If you feel it would be at all helpful to her or important to do that though, by all means do. I don't usually bother seeking out a confrontation to make up for missed opportunities at speaking up for what I feel is right, but if the opportunity to speak up shows its face again, I'll take it the second time. That's just my way of reacting.
I'm pretty sure she knows exactly where I stand on this. Your Mom is awesome BTW.

I will let it slide this time, but if it comes up again we'll have a discussion at an appropriate time.

I normally operate similarly, letting something slide once but sinking my teeth into it if it comes up again. Or, having it out the first time. But I'm not going to jump on her for it hours after the fact.

Good advice guys! I feel a lot better. Now I'm going to relax and go to bed. Thanks a lot! I love the Venting thread, which is soon off to its third incarnation!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #1007
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
... Young women also who are very clear headed . Like you .
Well, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N ;)
Good advice guys! I feel a lot better. Now I'm going to relax and go to bed. Thanks a lot! I love the Venting thread, which is soon off to its third incarnation!
G'night.

Yes - I just noticed we've passed 1000.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:15 AM   #1008
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think it's more like jumping behind a parapet before N manages to tackle me.
*tries to tackle* Dang crennels in the way!

Oh, when I said <gross> I was referring to the beginning of what I was saying about barfing, not about hugging you.

*finds you*

*hugs*

I also believe women judging too quickly, more than men, cannot be verified just by Lief's anecdotes. For all you know you male friends are judging you in their heads too quickly or something.

I seriously feel loads better guys, thanks!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #1009
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

We've reached the 1000 replies. Closing.

The new thread can be found here.