Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #1001
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Life really sucks sometimes.

My friend, who's already dealing with her parents' break up & Year 12, has just discovered that she may have ovarian cancer.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #1002
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Life really sucks sometimes.

My friend, who's already dealing with her parents' break up & Year 12, has just discovered that she may have ovarian cancer.
I'm so sorry to hear that.. I hope she assumes wrong. *hugs* Life does suck sometimes. Sköt om dej, och kom ihåg att du kan skriva om du vill prata.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #1003
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
I'm so sorry to hear that.. I hope she assumes wrong. *hugs* Life does suck sometimes. Sköt om dej, och kom ihåg att du kan skriva om du vill prata.
Me too. As you can expect, she's not taking it that well right now. She's upset and scared. Usually she's one of the most caring people, always there to cheer people up. So now it's our turn.

Tack, Hana. Det är inte så dåligt för mig. Jag ömkar henne för att det är så svårt, så. Men när jag vill prata, då ska jag skriva här.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #1004
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Thanks all And the Moot is sure here all the time. One nice thing, atleast. I guess I have to listen to you and take it easy, and be very careful Though I don't really want to...

Spock, that sounds really like what I have. It is also called glandular fever. My throat is really bad, can't swallow properly. The glandulars in my throat are really swollen. But I haven't noticed any fever, and I'm not really tired.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #1005
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I remember when my baby sister had mono; it made her chronically fatigued for a long time and she had to do school at home for like 2 months, but she got better! I hope you get well nice & quickly, Pytt!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #1006
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Vent - another fire in our area I can see the flames from our house on the northern front, and the whole southeastern front is a giant orange glow.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 PM   #1007
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

That's not good!! Theres fires near here? Luckily for me, the only thing to catch fire here are the palm trees at date farms, but there's the ever present risk of house fires. Stay safe!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #1008
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

thanks - our house is pretty safe, but the people in the hills are in a bad place ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #1009
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I saw something about brushfires on the news a couple hours ago - that's your area, Rian? Chatsworth and around there?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #1010
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Good, I'm glad about your house!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 PM   #1011
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Wow, that's pretty bad . Hopefully no one will get hurt... and they all had house insurance.

*sigh* Not really a 'vent' per-say, but I'm a bit depressed because there's someone I -really- want to be close to, but I don't think I should 'be' with them. In part because I'm not willing to subject myself to the drama of teenage dating, and for other various reasons.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:56 PM   #1012
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I saw something about brushfires on the news a couple hours ago - that's your area, Rian? Chatsworth and around there?
Yup.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #1013
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Brushfires around Rian's place today...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

I really hope you and your family are safe & O.K., Rian...

Old 09-29-2005, 12:18 AM   #1014
Rían

thanks for the good wishes, everyone - we really are in a pretty safe area, because we're a coupla miles away from the hills.
I just looked outside, and the fire is definitely spreading It now covers about a 90-degree arc around our house.
The good news (for us) is that the winds are blowing it away from us, so the air isn't very bad.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 AM   #1015
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

YIKES!

I'm a little surprised you're not trying to get out, Rian. Those things can spread like crazy and one second you can be fine, but the next second you're trapped in a ring of fire that's closing in on you.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 AM   #1016
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I have a headache and I feel grumpy

Segovia Mazes
Old 09-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #1017
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

So do I, and so do I. I actually really do. Feel grumpy & have a headache, too, that is. Hope U feel better soon, Elanor - me, I'm going to bed. Meh.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #1018
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
YIKES!

I'm a little surprised you're not trying to get out, Rian. Those things can spread like crazy and one second you can be fine, but the next second you're trapped in a ring of fire that's closing in on you.
no, it's mostly moving away from us, or parallel to us. I was trying to give a picture of how big the fireline is, tho. When I stand outside, I can see flames or orange glow for 90 degrees around us. But it's several miles away, and moving parallel or away from us. We can hardly even smell it, because the wind is blowing away from us. And we're in a fairly new area, with tile roofs.
I'll keep an eye on it, though!!!

Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 AM   #1019
Rían

update - still the same length fireline (I think about 10 miles!) but it's gone from steady to hot/cold (there's some dark spots, then really intense spots). And still moving farther away from us.

Those helicopter pilots have been flying during the night! They usually don't do that because they can't see well enough, but I guess it's just so bright that they're keeping at it. Also, they're dropping water directly over houses. They also usually don't do that, because it would break through the roofs, but this one is SO hot that the water is vaporizing before it hits the roofs!

Old 09-29-2005, 03:55 AM   #1020
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Holy crap, there's a forest fire near your house? (If my inference from the last post is right.)

Put a sprinkler on your roof (if you/fire fighters haven't done so already) and keep them on 24/7. The dome of humidity this will create around your house can, and often will, turn away even really intense (high flames) fires.

Then I'd pack irreplacables in the trunk of your car and prepare your kids to evacuate just in case. Sounds like it's not too bad, but I wouldn't risk it with kids. Plus, you have to handle your son's wheel chair. (If that would cause any delay. But I guess not since you do it all the time.)

Best of luck to your family and neighbourhood!

EDIT: Actually, re-reading those last two posts... now, I don't know what the conditions of the fire are, but if the wind changes in a way the fire crews really don't want, the fire could escape their control.
I don't want to get your paranoid about your house or anything, it's juuuust in case. If you're ready to leave and you don't have to, well no biggie eh?
Maybe that wasn't all that comforting. But North American fire fighters have a long track record of expert fire fighting though. They have a lot of tools, skills, training, and knowledge at their disposal.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 09-29-2005 at 03:59 AM.
Closed Thread