Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #981
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa was puzzled. "You forget? But... they don't come back in a moment when you are not paying attention? In your sleep or after a similar thing has happened in the now?"

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #982
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

'When things are forgotten, ka'maren, they are put from my mind. I am m'had, and the m'had do not trouble themselves with the past and the future. We live for the moment, for the life that is now. Our lives are often brief and soon ended. We do not bother ourselves with such things as unpleasant memories, unless the memory will help us in some way.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #983
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Hearing Abasi's bogus warrior-talk, Quickleaf spoke out across the campfire, "If you're so apt to forget unpleasant memories, why don't you come over here and mend my wounds. We're friends right? You wouldn't let the past get in our way Abasi?" and he gave the elf a big smile in the morning sun.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #984
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi ignored Quickleaf's words, entirely uninterested in what he had to say. He was bitter, young, and foolish, and Abasi was growing tired of him quickly. The fact that he so drastically misunderstood Abasi's words was amusing the elder elf, but he did not respond, he simply turned away from him and continued his conversation with Elyssa.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #985
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa sat up and pulled up her knees to put her head on them while still facing Abasi.
She was a bit perturbed when she heard Quickleaf's harsh words, but when they didn't seem to hurt Abasi, she decided to ignore it as well.
"I see. You must have a very strong mind to be able to focus only on what's important to you now. But though I admire that, and see why it is necessary for a warrior to focus on the here and now..."

Ellysa sat thinking for a moment before continuing.
"the past can't always be ignored. It has a voice through our dreams making you relive those moments. When you wake up, you can push it aside again, but I can't control my dreams. I'll try to do as you advice though. I really should learn to deal with these things. I'm old enough now."

Again she paused for a moment. Then she lifted up her head and pulled up her sleeves to show her scars.
"I got these when I was running through fire in a burning village. Everyone had left, but I had seen that two brothers would be fighting in the midst of that burning village. That they were fighting was my fault, so I wanted to stop them but the fight was over before I could and I got buried under falling debris. One brother killed the other and he walked over to me. He looked me in the eye and told me it was my fault. He hated me and left me there to die.
I'm telling you this, because if I were to completely forget or ignore this memory, however ugly it may be, I would deny my responsibility for the death of that man. Does a warrior who died for honour not deserve to be remembered? It is my duty to remember and to bear the guilt."

Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #986
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim after tieing up his horse walked over to Quickleaf, he then kneeled down by Quickleaf and whispered "there is a..." he paused searching for the right word "...tradition in my kingdom, even if it is not a very good one all the same. When people want to have revenge they will wait and wait until the grudge is thought to be forgotten, then they will strike hard and brutal...you follow" and with that he stood up smiled with what could only be described as a smirk or evil smile, he then nodded and walked over to the camp fire.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #987
Coffeehouse

The sun was rising swiftly, the camp bathing in light. Morning at last, the long night had died away.

The elf now seemed to despise Quickleaf's humour so much that he would not even pull out his sword and challenge him.. to yet another revenge of lost pride. Hearing Hedrim's advice Quickleaf looked at him and smiled "You're a cunning man Hedrim".

Looking at his wound he knew he had get to sow it up. Quickleaf wondered whether Ellysa perhaps had such tools, needle and thread, and so he limped over to her and asked.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #988
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

The few moments she had shared with Abasi were enough to tell Tabrîl she had not chosen wrongly, to accept him. She longed to be able to sit and speak with him alone, away from these uwindi, to learn more about him. She could ask now what would not have been right to when she had been to him merely a m'had'i of another tribe.

Now she carried his t'rai, and he hers. It delighted Tabrîl to think of it. She had found herself growing very fond of him as they had travelled together, and she had seen that he was both honorable and kind.

However, this was not going to be a simple decision. Tabrîl still had a Mother and a tribe, even if Abasi did not, and if this were to progress further, Tabrîl would have to consider whether or not her in'kasha would allow Abasi to take service. It was beyond her to even understand the thoughts of an in'kasha, let alone predict them, and so this troubled her.

It was a rite of intent and not of obligation, she reminded herself. It would not do to presume too much, it could be that either of them would find the other an unsuitable partner. It happened that way, on occasion.

'We will speak together later,' she said to Abasi softly, interrupting his conversation with Ellysa. There were too many gathered by them now, she did not feel comfortable discussing such matters here even if they could not understand the words any more than she could Ellysa's Westron. 'I must check that the borders are seen to.' She did not trust Nami with the task any longer, not since the incident that evening.

She looked at Abasi for a long moment before she stood to leave, and there was a contentment in her expression, a hint of happiness that shone through in her eyes, something which had not been seen since she had met with the group.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #989
Mari
Elf Lady

Abasi had fallen silent after listening to her story and he seemed to be thinking it over when Tabril said something to him and left with an odd look on her face.
Ellysa looked away as Quickleaf limped over and asked for her medical materials.
"Yes, I have those things. Sit down and I'll help you."
She shot Abasi an apologizing look before producing a small box from somewhere underneath her robes and took out a small bone needle and prepared a thread. She also took out a small bottle with liquid in which she dipped the tip of the needle.

Last edited by Mari : 05-29-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #990
Coffeehouse

"That's quite alright Ellysa, I'll do it myself" and Quickleaf brought with him the finely cut needle and thread so that he could mend his wounds beneath his favorite tree.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #991
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa looked at Quickleaf's back as he limped back to his spot under the tree and sighed.
She wished all would go back to normal, but she knew it would be a bit different from now on and that made her sad.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #992
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

As soon as Quickleaf was off his horse Nami had turned and gone, she had not seen him look up at her. She at the moment did not wish to be near him. Which was good, since if she had heard his next comment to Abasi, Quickleaf would not have liked what Nami had to say.

So leaving the camp, Nami headed back off into the forest. She wanted to check out the area where she had felt that strange watchfulness. She should really tell Tabril about it. Oh Tabril! Nami remembered her words to the other elf earlier. She's not going to be pleased!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #993
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf sat down by the oak tree and took out his hunting knife. He made a thin cut into the healing wound and tied up the thread to the slight bone needle. Taking a charcoal he'd found in the bonfire he trimmed its edges until it resembled the form of a dagger.

Quickleaf picked up the charcoal, and then cut it across his wound, burning his flesh and skin, and sowed his wound up with the needle and thread. He poured water on it.

The pain seared through Quickleaf, and he clenched his teeth and closed his eyes, and lay his head back to rest.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #994
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

They were still safe enough, Tabrîl thought. The perimeter had not been breached while there had been none to watch over it, and she could continue to-

She froze, suddenly, as she heard a rustling in the trees. Hand on her sword hilt, her steps silent, she headed towards it's source. Whatever it was, it should not be there.

It was a figure, she saw now, getting closer. A person. She tensed, moved closer, until she could make out their features.

It was only Nami. Tabrîl breathed a sigh of relief. She strode over to her. 'What are you doing out here?' she asked. 'You should be at the camp, tending to that uwindi fool you are so fond of.'

Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #995
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

To Tabrils first question Nmai just shrugged and said, "Patroling?"

"Who? Quickleaf! The fool can tend him self, im not his mother!" Nami was still kinda bitter about Quickleafs actions and she didm't need Tabril to remind her of them. Noticing where she was Nami remember what she wanted to tell Tabril about.

"Oh i've been meaning to say, there's something not right around this area. Its like something is watching us, but i can't see what it is. Have you noticed this too?"
Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #996
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl frowned. 'Watching?' she questioned. 'There is nobody here, I am sure of it. I would have seen them, or heard them at least. What have you noticed?'

Before Nami could answer her question however, she spoke again. 'There is no need for you to patrol further. I will see to it.' Tabrîl did not trust her enough to give her such responsibility, and if Abasi was right and she was ka'maren, she never should have been allowed it to begin with, and Tabrîl herself had been in error.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #997
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami ignored the last bit and carried on any way.

"Its not a thing or person, its a presence, like a feeling, like something is waiting for something happen. Its hard to explain but i know its there. I have been patroling in these's woods for years, in the times when the spiders and dark being were in more abundence, its not a feeling i have felt before."
Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #998
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf opened his eyes, and looked up between the leaves, at the blue skies above. The sun was reaching ever higher, and Quickleaf was sure the stream nearby was warming up. He got up, went over to the campfire and threw his bloodied cloak on the fire, and then limped out into the forest and down towards the nearest stream to wash his wound.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #999
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'Is it fear?' Tabrîl questioned her harshly. She was not in any mood for vague talk of feelings. If there was a threat there, it would make itself known, and she would deal with it. If it did not ever reveal itself, then it was not a threat.

'You have been fearful before. It is better you return to camp.' This bordered on insult, but Tabrîl owed Nami no courtesy and so it did not matter.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #1000
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami sighed slightly at this latest comment.

"My fear is not of the forest Tabril. It is of other things, but not this, this is my home. And this feeling is not fear, for once. It is a feeling of being watched by unseen eyes. And the eyes are not of my fear or in my head. I would continue to patrol Tabril. We have traditions in my kin too. We dont give up on a job half finished."
Closed Thread