Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-13-2004, 01:56 AM   #81
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Yeah that would be awesome to see the story of Beren and Luthian. A tough one to do though would be Turin Turumbar. Its just sooooo tragic and depressing. But Beren and Luthian has a happy ending so it wouldnt be as bad I think;people wouldnt leave the theatre in a down mood.
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #82
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dúnedain
In the Hobbit Bilbo looks the same as he did in LotR. Gandalf specifically states that he looks as if hasn't aged a day since he last saw him some 60 years prior. So it is very reasonable that Bilbo would look the same as he did in the Fellowship. Even when they showed him in the prologue of finding the ring, he looked maybe a few years younger than he did later on in the Fellowship, so it was obvious to me that the issue of Ian Holm's age really shouldn't be a concern at all, but I think they do need to cast him if they end of making this film...
But according to the book 60 years ago wasn't the last time he saw bilbo! he supposedly popped in when he was near the shire to say hi
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #83
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Strider

I read somewhere (can't remember where!) that tolkien wrote the simarillion as Middle earth's bible so itwould be hard for someone to turn it into a film unless they only concentraited on one accpect eg beren and luthiun

If anyone thinks I'm speaking rubbish Just say I don't mind Lol
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:09 PM   #84
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

No I agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nameless One
Yeah that would be awesome to see the story of Beren and Luthian. A tough one to do though would be Turin Turumbar. Its just sooooo tragic and depressing. But Beren and Luthian has a happy ending so it wouldnt be as bad I think;people wouldnt leave the theatre in a down mood.
But people would think that Beren and Luthien had a sad ending because they die.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:09 AM   #85
The Nameless One
Hobbit

But don't they live out there lives in the far south regions of Ossiriand as mortals? Beren would have stayed in the halls of Mandos if not for Luthian traveling to valinor in spirit form to bring him back to middle earth(I think it was spirit form). She gave up her imortality to live as a mortal with him and die a mortal death together with Beren. To me that is a happy ending because they are together till death and are never bothered again untill years later when they are old and grey.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #86
Telcontar_Dunedain

Men do not go to the Halls of Mandos. Beren was the only one to ever see where men go after death before returning to ME but he never spoke of it to anyone.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-15-2004, 01:44 PM   #87
thranduil
Elven Warrior

anyway. i love this movie. alot better than bakshi garbage.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #88
Telcontar_Dunedain

What movie? It hasn't been made yet.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:55 PM   #89
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
What movie? It hasn't been made yet.
thats funny cuz eh i have it. Or do animations not count as movies.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:01 PM   #90
Telcontar_Dunedain

Ah. I thought you meant Motion Picture Movies.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:56 PM   #91
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

but when could we expect it in cinemas, and i'm talking about here in europe.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:05 AM   #92
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

It won't even be untill the rights are purchased. Once that is announced which may take another 2-3 years they can start planning on making Hobbit. Once they start planning it may take another 2 years for development. Once the film is developed it must begin principle photography and editing which generaly would take Jackson 1 year or so. After this it must be distributed another few months for Europe usually. So 3+2+1+.5?= 6.5 years. There you have it potentially 6 and a hald years! Though if things go smoothly for P. Jackson, Hobbit rights, King Kong, production team, and actor age, we may see a Hobbit film in theaters as early as 5 maybe 4 years from 2004!(I don't forsee anything sooner.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:17 AM   #93
Telcontar_Dunedain

And Halbarad is a foresighted Dunedain

Old 09-19-2004, 02:37 AM   #94
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

True enough my sharp eye'd friend Telcontar.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:05 AM   #95
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Men do not go to the Halls of Mandos. Beren was the only one to ever see where men go after death before returning to ME but he never spoke of it to anyone.
Im confussed
How can men not go to the Halls of Mandos but Beren saw where men go after death; which is the Halls of Mandos?...unless I'm missinterpriting the book. I think you canceled out your first sentence with the second.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:20 AM   #96
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Telcontar did not negate his first sentence with the second. These are the facts; 1. Elves when they die go to The Halls of Mandos on Valinor. 2. Men go to another unknown place that is NOT The Halls of Mandos. 3. Beren was the only man to see the place(which is not Mandos) that men go to. Beren saw this place but never spoke a word of it to any other man!

Old 10-02-2004, 07:12 AM   #97
Telcontar_Dunedain

That is indeed what I meant.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #98
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Ok cool. Thanx for clearing that up for me.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:39 PM   #99
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
It won't even be untill the rights are purchased. Once that is announced which may take another 2-3 years they can start planning on making Hobbit. Once they start planning it may take another 2 years for development. Once the film is developed it must begin principle photography and editing which generaly would take Jackson 1 year or so. After this it must be distributed another few months for Europe usually. So 3+2+1+.5?= 6.5 years. There you have it potentially 6 and a hald years! Though if things go smoothly for P. Jackson, Hobbit rights, King Kong, production team, and actor age, we may see a Hobbit film in theaters as early as 5 maybe 4 years from 2004!(I don't forsee anything sooner.
yeah, that sounds logic to me. so between 2008-2010, we wil get it, both in europe and in USA. if they don't do as they did on the LOTR-movies, it will probably come 2-3 months later here in norway, at least.
but, after all, that is not that far off!
Old 10-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #100
Lenya
Elentári

I hope they do not make a movie about The Hobbit. As has been proven by the LotR movie, it is impossible to make a movie as good as the book. All that will happen is that the director will change and leave stuff out as he pleases - and the result will be another fake movie completely different from the book.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote