Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2003, 08:49 PM   #81
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
as usual yer half right bop
Hang on a sec. I know I've got my whip around here somewheres. *pats pockets* Nope. Oh well, care for a jelly baby?

Seriously though, I haven't really sat down and listened to their earlier albums, so I can't really state whether I like where they came from, but I have listened extensively to their latest two (thanks to my stupid ex-work and their stupid crappy taste in crappy music...) And you have to admit, it's not the best that they could have offered.

[whiney voice] heard your voice through a photograph
I thought it up it brought up the past
Once you know you can never go back
Ive got to take it on the otherside [/whiney voice]

Marilyn Manson? Pah. Won't even dignify him with a comment. Too bad he's not even original.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:25 PM   #82
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

hee hee dedicated one for ya in the lyrics thread SHEEEENA

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #83
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
hee hee dedicated one for ya in the lyrics thread SHEEEENA
Why you little...! Oh half a tick, gots to change my voice to something a little more authoritive. [voice of impending doom] WHY YOU LITTLE ...! I OUGHTA KICK YOU FROM HERE TO TIMBUCTOO! [/voice of impending doom]
Old 04-29-2003, 08:06 AM   #84
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
ah so then your argument is that popularity should be the level by which you judge creative talent? By that measure then\
ohhh no i sorta got this quote by you
Quote:
Nevertheless they are still fantastic live and the inovation that have come up with in the past almost 20 years has been almost without parallel in popular music including your little friend marilyn.
to mean you were talking about popularity
Quote:
Hahaha! :P
hmmm i thought it was funny aswell because in popularity stakes Marilyn Manson sells more records that them
Quote:
No ignorant because of the kinds of statements you make like the one above this and because you said "Ok but being able to perform and making good music are different things and the Chilli Peppers suck..."
i meant they suck at both would that make it any less ignorant? if not it is my opinion and i didnt say that because i thought you would just 2 and 2 together and take it that way (obviously not )
Quote:
Yer not. Yer supposed to get my point about making blanket ignorant statements no matter who its about. Understand?
ohhh yeah i just thought you were serious coz you said something about MM being the Puff Daddy of Goth and copy cat shtick... ohhh and BTW MM is not goth he has said its just crap that people who dont like him talk about (that and him worshipping the devil ) and then they go all wierd when he wears something "un-gothic"
Quote:
wait are you saying thats what chili pepper albums have been like? all the same sound?\
not at all but im saying thats were Manson excels...
Quote:
So you are now arguing that image IS important and not just the music and the artistic talent? Then why did you say the opposite earlier? And give me musical talent any day over fabricated image. Give me some no name shmuck who can play
the crap out of his instrument and put together highly complex compositions rather then someone who breaths fire on stage to get the teenie boppers excited. Image is a bubble. Talent is whats real. When you spend six hours puting make up on before a concert you are riding on image.
when you spend 6 hours putting make up on before a concert you are getting ready for a performance. I dont see whats wrong with getting up and potraying a message (or even just for the **** of it) in a concert when they are doing all the music stuff aswell.. where did i say image isnt important i cant find it but if i did it was a typo
Quote:
Marilyn Manson? Pah. Won't even dignify him with a comment. Too bad he's not even original.
hmmm i might just have to meet IR and up the price with some lyrics of MM as for everyones lack of originality and innovation please explain who MM's music is in any way not original... RHCP song Throw away the TV seems to be one of Marilyn Mansons main themes which he was talking about back in 98 while making Mechanical Animals hmmm copy cat shtick
Old 04-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #85
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
[B]ohhh no i sorta got this quote by you
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nevertheless they are still fantastic live and the inovation that have come up with in the past almost 20 years has been almost without parallel in popular music including your little friend marilyn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to mean you were talking about popularity
no i was talking about their inovation on the scale of "popular" music. Of which I feel they rate extremely high. Thats all. By the way, the term "pop music" is an anathema to me really. Im assuming as a Manson fan it is the same for you too.

Quote:
i meant they suck at both would that make it any less ignorant?
Probably what would make it sound less ignorant is if you said I am for some reason incapable of comprehending their talent and inovation which to so many others is simply obvious. Art cant "suck". There is no yard stick to judge it. Its simply pure expression. Like Manson. I would never say he sucks. I would say other things but not that. And for you to say the Chili Peppers cant perform well live AND have no inovation (as you did above) simply shows me that you continue to be ignorant on this matter..... in my opinion.

Quote:
if not it is my opinion and i didnt say that because i thought you would just 2 and 2 together and take it that way (obviously not )
but its an ignorant opinion see.

Quote:
ohhh and BTW MM is not goth he has said its just crap that people who dont like him talk about (that and him worshipping the devil ) and then they go all wierd when he wears something "un-gothic"
so then what would you call him exactly? just metal? i think he is the poster child of goth metal whether he likes it or not really.

Quote:
when you spend 6 hours putting make up on before a concert you are getting ready for a performance. I dont see whats wrong with getting up and potraying a message (or even just for the **** of it)
nothing wrong with it as long as the music works. thats all that counts to me. You can dress like a godzilla for all I care as long as the music moves me. the danger is that the fabricated image will detract from the music of course or that it will seem like its done to overshadow the music and therefor somehow devalue the music. look at groups like Kiss where the act became more important then the music itself (which is fine for them because that was the point all along). And I think thats the original issue you had with Flea's jock strap which started this whole discussion so I know you understand this. Cant you see how someone looking at Manson and not understanding the music could think god what a freak and miss the message because of that? And thats the danger Im talking about. If yer gonna look past the make up then look past the jack strap too. Although I really think theres no comparrison between who is going for more shock value but then thats just my opinion again.

Quote:
hmmm i might just have to meet IR and up the price with some lyrics of MM
I say go for it. Lets serenade her with double shots of chili peppers and manson until she squeels.

Quote:
as for everyones lack of originality and innovation please explain who MM's music is in any way not original...
I think Manson gets this rap because some of their most popular songs (and oldest ones) were remakes. And it disgusted people like me because we knew that most typical manson fans had no clue who screaming jay hawkins was or even CCR for that matter and I hate when teenie bands (not that manson necessarily is a teenie band but...) do remakes of GOOD old songs and their fans think its the coolest thing ever and its not even as good as the original (in the case of Put A Spell On You its not even as good as the first TWO originals). But personally they kind of lost me when they came out with Antichrist Superstar. I didnt find anything worthwhile on there and from there I lost interest. I had actually liked some of Smells Like Children. It was different. But their later stuff just seems like shtick to me. And the appeal has worn thin.

Old 04-29-2003, 02:53 PM   #86
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I liked your lists, Ins Rex!

Nobody mentioned Zappa.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:20 AM   #87
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I think Manson gets this rap because some of their most popular songs (and oldest ones) were remakes. And it disgusted people like me because we knew that most typical manson fans had no clue who screaming jay hawkins was or even CCR for that matter and I hate when teenie bands (not that manson necessarily is a teenie band but...) do remakes of GOOD old songs and their fans think its the coolest thing ever and its not even as good as the original (in the case of Put A Spell On You its not even as good as the first TWO originals). But personally they kind of lost me when they came out with Antichrist Superstar. I didnt find anything worthwhile on there and from there I lost interest. I had actually liked some of Smells Like Children. It was different. But their later stuff just seems like shtick to me. And the appeal has worn thin.
yeah i gte your point about his covers but doesnt that just acknowledge the original artists by doing a cover of it... IMO (is that better ) Tainted Love and Sweet Dreams are the best covers ever, on his new single mOBSCENE he did another cover of Tainted Love and it was great (Rammsteins re-mix of mOBSCENE is also on the single and that SUCKS )
no way MM is starting to make his best music ever (god damn those Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids cd's were ****) his last album Holywood was in no way un-original or un-innovating...

i will waddle over to the lyrics page and stick my nose in now...
Old 04-30-2003, 06:29 AM   #88
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

You two are arguing about MM v's Chilli???

My gods, they both play boring overhyped crud

(although on the plus side the las RHCP album is a bloody good cure for insomina )

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:15 AM   #89
Curunír
Enting

* Jimmy Hendrickx
* Lars Frederiksen (Rancid)
* Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)
ulle frulle kulle a cup of milk huy!
Curunír is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #90
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

Ah, thank you coney.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:41 PM   #91
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

hey look youve managed to unite me and millane on the same team now. now im gonna go edit out all the nice things i said about you on the we love coney thread. either that or add we love coney despite the fact that rabbits have no taste...

EDIT: and sheep obviously are tasteless. i prefer the taste of chili peppers.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-30-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:22 PM   #92
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I like green ones myself.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:27 AM   #93
Millane
The Dude

Quote:

FOOL! all of the people the people that hate Marilyn Manson hav listened to his new single and everyone of them love it, if only for the attractive 1940's Berlin Cheerleaders
ok Coney and Sheeana please indulge me with your favourite bans and you may join the argument.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:59 AM   #94
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
FOOL! all of the people the people that hate Marilyn Manson hav listened to his new single and everyone of them love it, if only for the attractive 1940's Berlin Cheerleaders
ok Coney and Sheeana please indulge me with your favourite bans and you may join the argument.
Well, in all fairness to MM I've not heard his latest track.......mebbe I'll download it and give it a try.

Actually it's a long time since I updated the list in the Favourite Bands thread........should do that sometime soon.

lol...........be a bit of a drawn out argument Millane.........I usually only visit this thread every 3-4 days

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:12 AM   #95
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Well, in all fairness to MM I've not heard his latest track.......mebbe I'll download it and give it a try.

Actually it's a long time since I updated the list in the Favourite Bands thread........should do that sometime soon.

lol...........be a bit of a drawn out argument Millane.........I usually only visit this thread every 3-4 days
Yeah go download it... you didnt tell me who your fav band was (forget the fav bands thread) i dont care if you only get back here every week to be quite honest i need a more worthy competitor to the throne of MM (RHCP dont deserve to be in the same thread as MM )
Old 05-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #96
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

cant handle the red hot ones? i love habaneros myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
I like green ones myself.

Old 05-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #97
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Yeah go download it... you didnt tell me who your fav band was (forget the fav bands thread) i dont care if you only get back here every week to be quite honest i need a more worthy competitor to the throne of MM (RHCP dont deserve to be in the same thread as MM )
yeah since the chili peppers are much more talented. Maybe you should bring your argument to the avril lavigne thread. you might find some equal opponents in there.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:47 PM   #98
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
cant handle the red hot ones? i love habaneros myself.
I can handle them, baby.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:20 AM   #99
Anglorfin
Alasailon

RHCP's older stuff was better. But a ton of their newer stuff I just don't "get". Music that I don't understand I don't really feel right listening to, and I tend to think of them as just not making sense half the time.

Manson . . . I can't stand him personally. I think he's just too much of a showoff for attention and he's not even that great. If I wanted to listen to something like that I'd listen to some black metal.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:52 AM   #100
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Manson . . . I can't stand him personally. I think he's just too much of a showoff for attention and he's not even that great. If I wanted to listen to something like that I'd listen to some black metal.
hmmmmm now are you informed or are you just one of the masses of people who dont know anything about him and form an opinion from that nothing? If you wanted to listen to something like what? i dont get that...
Anglorfin you have willingly thrown yourself into the fray (i will never back down) who would you call a classy act? (i dont care if i even like em a bit ill still argue )
he's not even that great BAH what music of his have you heard...
ohhh BTW IR i forgot to mention MM's cover of I put a spell on you is pretty crap.. but i have just found out he did one of Come Together it should be good