Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #81
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, just to play devil's advocate, I might say that Denethor saying that doesn't necessarily indicate less love, but a crude and insensitive way of saying that Boromir would have made a better leader, an idea with which Faramir might have agreed very much (although it wasn't true IMO, because they would have probably been equally effective, but with very different styles). Denethor thinks that Gondor will eventually be lost, especially without Boromir as his successor in the post of Steward, which if it had happened, he thought, there may have been hope.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:43 AM   #82
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Anyway, the space that was left after Boromir's death could easily be filled by his brother Faramir. If Tolkien had let Boromir live and Faramir die, it would have been a disaster.
ummm yeah you could just say that or you could say why it would have been a disaster...
Quote:
Yes. Aragorn could have succumbed to the ring, and he would have had enough reasons to convince himself that he needed it also. But he realised its danger etc. Boromir knew the danger too, yet he convinced himself utterly that he needed it. Not only out of desperation, but out of ARROGANCE, that he knew what was best for the ring/ME but everyone else didn't.
i dont think it had anything to do with what was best for the ring, maybe for Gondor but not the ring... in which case maybe patriotism instead of arrogance.
Quote:
No Offense- You mean because they were both crazy nutcases? I think Faramir is just much easier to like, and Denethor would have been more proud of him seeing how noble and honorable he is. I didn't see any evidence of his prefering Borimir.
hahahaha funny (need more threatening smilies ) ok so denethor lost it at the end... understandable IMO that he was stuffed in the head after Boromir and trying to burn faramir just as understandable
Quote:
*is very mad*
your mad? im just supressing my anger coz your a collingwood supporter
Old 04-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #83
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Okay I was wrong about something. So I forgot a sentence of the six books. No need for everyone to attack me. I just think Faramir is easier to like.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:36 PM   #84
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

dont worry everyone goes after the new guy. GW did it one time to me.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:41 AM   #85
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
your mad? im just supressing my anger coz your a collingwood supporter
Same here. Let's just say we see things in black and white, eh?
*rofl*

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Okay I was wrong about something. So I forgot a sentence of the six books. No need for everyone to attack me. I just think Faramir is easier to like.
We weren't attacking you. But how could you not remember that? PS: It wasn't only one sentence - Denethor shows that he prefers Boromir several times. (But I'm too lazy to get my books from a metre away from me) I also (evidently) like Faramir far more.
Quote:
dont worry everyone goes after the new guy. GW did it one time to me.
Gwai did that? Really? He was always nice to me- I was the one who teased him.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:36 AM   #86
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
No need for everyone to attack me.
well maybe if someone hadnt tried to attack Boromir...
Quote:
Same here. Let's just say we see things in black and white, eh?
hahahahahaha i cant wait for tommorrer
Old 04-24-2003, 07:39 AM   #87
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
well maybe if someone hadnt tried to attack Boromir...
hahahahahaha i cant wait for tommorrer
Not nice, Millane. People shouldn't be attacked just for having a contrasting opinion. *note to self: listen to your own advice!*

Yes. Who are we versing? (Damn the Lions- stupid Ackermanis or whatever) *still can't get over her own stupid joke*
Old 04-24-2003, 07:59 AM   #88
Ruinel
Banned

No one should be attacked here, regardless of their opinions.
Unless, of course, they say something bad about Finrod. Then all hell breaks lose and I can't be held responsible for my actions. Sorry, that's just the way it is. See the sword? I'd be careful, if I were you. *wink*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:20 AM   #89
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
No one should be attacked here, regardless of their opinions.
Unless, of course, they say something bad about Finrod. Then all hell breaks lose and I can't be held responsible for my actions. Sorry, that's just the way it is. See the sword? I'd be careful, if I were you. *wink*
We weren't really attacking anyone. Millane and I, we are good pals. Both Collingwood supporters, Tolkien lovers, female. Rofl!

I wouldn't be so antagonistic if I were you. You already have mobs attacking you in addition to gumboots being thrown at ya.
PS: You like my avatar?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:42 AM   #90
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Not nice, Millane. People shouldn't be attacked just for having a contrasting opinion. *note to self: listen to your own advice!*
dont stick up for him he brought it on himself... and for the record i didnt say anything to him let alone attack him... and yes people should be attacked for having a contrasting opinion if that opinion is wrong
Quote:
Yes. Who are we versing? (Damn the Lions- stupid Ackermanis or whatever) *still can't get over her own stupid joke*
ANZAC day Collingwood vs Essendon... hmmm now werent you the one telling me how lovely Queensland is?
Quote:
We weren't really attacking anyone. Millane and I, we are good pals. Both Collingwood supporters, Tolkien lovers, female. Rofl!
still female am i goodoh
Old 04-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #91
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
dont stick up for him he brought it on himself... and for the record i didnt say anything to him let alone attack him... and yes people should be attacked for having a contrasting opinion if that opinion is wrong
No, no. Not attacked, but rebutted.

Quote:
ANZAC day Collingwood vs Essendon... hmmm now werent you the one telling me how lovely Queensland is?
I said Queensland. Not stupid Brisbane Lions. Man, you are so prejudiced- you dislike a team in QLD, so you hate the whole state.

Quote:
still female am i goodoh
Yes. (PS: I don't know C'wood's history, so I wouldn't know Millane, as I would have been 3 when he died. I do, however, know Rocca, Buckley etc. *sigh* Alan Didak...)
Old 04-24-2003, 09:36 AM   #92
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
said Queensland. Not stupid Brisbane Lions. Man, you are so prejudiced- you dislike a team in QLD, so you hate the whole state.
BAH they are all the same... to think that they are representing queensland just imagine what the other Hicks are like if this is there elite...
Quote:
Yes. (PS: I don't know C'wood's history, so I wouldn't know Millane, as I would have been 3 when he died. I do, however, know Rocca, Buckley etc. *sigh* Alan Didak...)
ohhh well being female wouldnt be that bad... i could manipulate a whole lot better scheme my way into every collingwood GF instead of being told all the tickets were gone and yes i could sigh over Alan Didak (not that i ever do that )
mind you for all my Queensland bashing we do have Buckley and Molloy cause of em... it doesnt matter if you dont remember Millane we'll just have to sit you down and make you watch the 1990 GF until you can never forget him
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 AM   #93
Ruinel
Banned

Ok, I appologize upfront to all the Mooters here, but I really must know the answer to this question.
Who the bloody hell is Collingwood?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:56 AM   #94
Millane
The Dude

poor fool poor uneducated fool... you have led a life sheltered from all that is good Collingwood are the greatest team in the AFL.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #95
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
poor fool poor uneducated fool... you have led a life sheltered from all that is good Collingwood are the greatest team in the AFL.
Ok, then what is AFL? (sounds like football/soccer league).
Old 04-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #96
Millane
The Dude

OMG dont even know what AFL is??? in the words of Mr T "pity the fool" Australian Rules Football... dont tell me you have never heard of Australia now
Old 04-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #97
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Peoples, we are meant to be talking about Boromir, not that Collingwood is going to *cough* lose today!
Ruinel, don't worry about us Aussies, we are (apparently) obsessed with sport.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:17 AM   #98
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Peoples, we are meant to be talking about Boromir, not that Collingwood is going to *cough* lose today!
*sigh* Unfortunately, she is correct. We lost. Ah well.

Yeah apparently we are. I am not really, I don't do sport other than dancing, occasional swimming and basketball. I do watch swimming and AFL, though.

Ok, back to Boromir. I watched FotR again today. Lovely. Boromir's death is spectacular. It is best that he died (also for the other reasons that I have stated previously)
Old 04-27-2003, 08:56 AM   #99
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
well it would have ended with my explanation of collingwood but you had to be a troublemaker and make comments like that you may "*cough* lose today" nest time Geelong plays Collingwood and WINS! and it just so happens that we did lose today and i lay all the blame at Prestigiacomo
Quote:
ohhh be quiet you uncultured sarcastic australian Ruinel was intrigued and i had to explain... you would be obsessed with sport if you didnt go for Geelong
ok now back to Boromir and i wont say anything more concerning AFL or Collingwood unless Casseiopia cant hold her tongue

Last edited by Millane : 04-27-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:41 AM   #100
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
OMG dont even know what AFL is??? in the words of Mr T "pity the fool" Australian Rules Football... dont tell me you have never heard of Australia now
Austr...??? Oh, yes, isn't that a country in Europe? Wow, you folks speak great English considering it isn't your native language.
JUST KIDDING!!!! LOL!!!!

Only sports I participate in... tongue wrestling LOL!!! Oh, I'm sooooo sorry... I'm in a mood today!!! Can't help myself.

Ok, really... softball, I'm an awesome second baseman... but I'm no power hitter, that's for sure. I will watch (in this order): pro baseball, college football, college softball and soccer (last 2 only occasionally).