FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2003, 08:45 PM   #81
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Quote:
SGH: Chuck Norris isn't short, is he?
Are you being serious or not..?

He stands at about 4ft.

To add, Hurin was said to be 'shorter in stature than other men of his kin' not 'short' neccessarily...
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:48 PM   #82
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
Are you being serious or not..?

He stands at about 4ft.

To add, Hurin was said to be 'shorter in stature than other men of his kin' not 'short' neccessarily...
Um, I don't think we are thinking of the same guy. I am talking about the Martial arts guy, with blonde hair. He is not 4ft. LOL!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:13 AM   #83
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
As to Arnie... well I too certainly imagined Hurin being very muscled, quite like an Arnie figure. But Hurin was said to have blond hair, and I don't think Arnold would look at all good with blond hair...
What about Dolph Lundgren then? He is huge like Arnie but he has blonde hair
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:23 AM   #84
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Um, I don't think we are thinking of the same guy. I am talking about the Martial arts guy, with blonde hair. He is not 4ft. LOL!
5'10"

Dolph Lundgren? LOL!

No, we need someone short. Like five feet. I picture hurin as someone I saw in the olympics a few years back, short guy, weight lifter, he clean and jerked almost three times his weight.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:25 AM   #85
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
5'10"

Dolph Lundgren? LOL!

No, we need someone short. Like five feet. I picture hurin as someone I saw in the olympics a few years back, short guy, weight lifter, he clean and jerked almost three times his weight.
What about Hank the angry drunken dwarf? He is short
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-01-2003, 01:55 AM   #86
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
What about Hank the angry drunken dwarf? He is short
You must be a Howard Stern fan. LOL!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #87
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Wayfarer, Chuck Norris is NOT 5'10", he's tiny!
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 02-01-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #88
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Húrin looking like Arnold or Chuck Norris?
What in Arda are you thinking with!? Those are Ork-thoughts, I'm sure. Begone, evil spirits of Melkor!
Old 02-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #89
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Silence, Falagar! Húrin will be back.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #90
Falagar

His revenge will be great.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #91
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

His mission: protect Frodo against rogue circus performer, Chuck Norris.

Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:00 PM   #92
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
Well, guess I'm drawn into this by my saying that of those on Elrond's list, Beren was the mightiest fighter and lover.

What exactly do you mean by 'lover'? Of animals? Luthien? Or something else...

You may have a case for Beren or Hador beign the greates Edain, but as has already been mentioned here, Hurin was the greatest fighter.

So, with that in mind, I'll clarify what made me choose Beren over Húrin:[LIST
[*]His choice to eat no flesh or slay any living thing that was not in the service of Morgoth -- after a point, any of the great -- and Húrin was indeed great -- can swing an axe and shout "Day shall come again" until the darkness falls, but to be so selective in such harsh conditions...that is a degree beyond mere ability;

Mere ability? So slaying 70 Trolls, and countless Orcs is nothing? i think Hurin was the only one of the 'greats' or of all Elves and Men who could ever achieve that. And who says that Hurin went around slaying birds and beasts?

*]He is the only mortal to pass Melian's enchanted wall bordering Doriath, perhaps because of this (though JRRT does say it was "fate");

As you said it was FATE. Melian knew and allowed of his coming.
[*]He didn't flinch in front of Thingol and indeed was quite bold;

He DID flinch in front of Thingol at first, and it seems fate guided him here again, since it says "And it seemed to him that the words were put into his mouth" By whom? Eru? Or Melian?
[*]He loved and his love was never dimmed. Remember, I said Beren was the greatest fighter and lover. Húrin's tragedy was that Morgoth darkened his love by doing such horrible things to his family, and so eventually Gondolin was betrayed. This is ultimately the difference between Húrin and Beren. Greatness is never wholly won on the battlefield.[/LIST]There's probably other factors in there, but those are the main ones that come to mind right now.
I think that most people would have succombed, to the dark lord after 24 years of physical and mental torture. Hurin could've given up at any tiem he wished but he didn't. Hurin wasn't just great on the battlefield. He is one of the kindest and most noble of all the charcters in the Sil. He understands Turin giving his knife to Sador, and rebukes his wife when she says he is useless and the same so when she says something similar about the Haladin.

Heck, I like Beren a lot, but Hurin is the greatest in mind and spirit in my opinion.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #93
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Here is a quote from the Silmarillion that I came across the other night:

Quote:
Now Hador Lórindol, son of Hathol, son of Magor, son of Malach Ardan, entered the household of Fingolfin in his youth, and was loved by the King. Fingolfin therefore gave to him the lordship of Dor-lómin, and into that land he gathered most of the people of his kin, and became the mightiest of the chieftains of the Edain. In his house only the Elven-tongue was spoken; but their own speech was not forgotten, and from it came the common tongue of Númenor. But in Dorthonion the lordship of the people of Bëor and the country of Ladros was given to Boromir, son of Boron, who was the grandson of Bëor the Old.

The sons of Hador were Galdor and Gundor; and the sons of Galdor were Húrin and Huor....
Now, my thing is this. If, Húrin Thalion is considered the greatest of the Edain, then why does Tolkien say that Hador was the mightiest of the chieftains of the Edain? Húrin was the last chieftan of the Edain so you can't say he wasn't a cheiftain and that they can't be compared. Just something I wanted to point out

--Linaewen
Old 02-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #94
Falagar

There is a great difference between 'greatest' and 'mightiest'
Old 02-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #95
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Chuck Norris is NOT 5'10", he's tiny!
What do I kow about it? I'm no great fan of his. All I can go in is the information places like this and this give me.

Dunedain: I believe that refers to hador being the greatest leader of me. His people prospered under his rule. Hurin was the mightiest champion, his personal strength was greater, but his people...
Old 02-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #96
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This really doesn't have anything to do with the Edain, but hopefully it will clarify Chuck Norris' height, which is indeed 5 foot 10.

http://www.scms.ca/hbnorr.html
Old 02-01-2003, 02:41 PM   #97
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
There is a great difference between 'greatest' and 'mightiest'
How so, they derive from the same meaning...

greatest

1. Very large in size.
2. Larger in size than others of the same kind.
3. Large in quantity or number: A great throng awaited us.
4. Extensive in time or distance: a great delay.
5. Remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree, or extent: a great crisis.
6. Of outstanding significance or importance: a great work of art.
7. Chief or principal: the great house on the estate.
8. Superior in quality or character; noble: “For he was great, ere fortune made him so” (John Dryden).
9. Powerful; influential: one of the great nations of the West.
10. Eminent; distinguished: a great leader.
11. Grand; aristocratic.

adj 1: not to be surpassed; "his top effort" [syn: top] 2: greatest in size of those under consideration [syn: biggest, largest] 3: most of; "spoke for the greatest part of an hour" 4: greatest in importance or degree or significance or achievement; "our greatest statesmen"; "the country's leading poet"; "a preeminent archeologist" [syn: leading(a), preeminent] 5: highest in quality [syn: sterling(a), superlative]

mightiest

1. Having or showing great power, skill, strength, or force: a mighty orator; a mighty blow.
2. Imposing or awesome in size, degree, or extent: a mighty stone fortress.

Mighty \Might"y\, a. [Compar. Mightier; superl. Mightiest.] [AS. meahtig, mihtig; akin to G. m["a]chtig, Goth. mahteigs. See Might, n.] 1. Possessing might; having great power or authority.

Wise in heart, and mighty in strength. --Job ix. 4.

2. Accomplished by might; hence, extraordinary; wonderful. ``His mighty works.'' --Matt. xi. 20.

3. Denoting and extraordinary degree or quality in respect of size, character, importance, consequences, etc. ``A mighty famine.'' --Luke xv. 14. ``Giants of mighty bone.'' --Milton.

Mighty was their fuss about little matters. --Hawthorne

--Linaewen
Old 02-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #98
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
This really doesn't have anything to do with the Edain, but hopefully it will clarify Chuck Norris' height, which is indeed 5 foot 10.

http://www.scms.ca/hbnorr.html
Thank you BoP.

Now Captian Stern, is that who you are thinking of?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #99
Falagar

Quote:
mightiest

1. Having or showing great power, skill, strength, or force: a mighty orator; a mighty blow.
2. Imposing or awesome in size, degree, or extent: a mighty stone fortress.
I think Tolkien meant the latter here, since he usually used 'greatest' (Greatest of the Elves, Lúthien, greatest of the Ñoldor, Fëanor, etc.)
Old 02-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #100
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

I think 'greatest of the chieftens of the Edain' meant in that time period. So he was the greatest then.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote