Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2003, 03:54 PM   #81
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Just as long as you don't label atheism a religion, you naughty girl.
Okay, it's not a religion.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #82
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
I *snip* text that is not applicable to my reply.
I don't understand what you mean by this. If it is not applicable, then why did you bring it up? Do you perhaps mean that you do not agree with it? That's a different thing. Or do you not mean that, either?

Quote:
If we are to venture into rational discourse, you would be well advised to pack the straw men back into the barn.
I haven't brought any out yet, and I don't intend to . If we are to venture into rational discourse, I would ask that you post rational replies, instead of using insulting expressions such as "straw men" and then not even bothering to offer reasons why you believe what I said to be a "straw man". I'm open to your apologies over the use of that expression

Quote:
It can be two things:
  • The lack of belief of God or gods, and/or
  • the belief that God or gods do(es) not exist.
There you go
You say it isn't a belief system, yet the word "belief" is in BOTH of your definitions. That sure seems to invalidate your statement that it's not a belief system.

Well, this is verging on needing to go into another thread, because I want to honor the thread starter's request to not argue. Shall we just "agree to disagree"? I'm fine with that if you are.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 01-06-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:12 PM   #83
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

As much as I'd LOVE to see a new thread on this, Anduril is busy with me on our desert island tonight!
Old 01-06-2003, 06:30 PM   #84
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

A house must have a builder.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM   #85
Eruviel Greenleaf

Do you think, then, that the earth is our house?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:08 PM   #86
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elven Archer
that's what i was gonna say earlier Samwiselver2008 but i didn't.

I don't think you should be forced to go to church but i don't think it's forcing if your still growing up. cause it's your parents job to raise you the best they know how.If you're parents are Christians then they'll most likely bring you to church to help lead your life in the right direction. there's a verse that i can't remember that says something like, Raise a child up in the path of the Lord and when he is grown he shall not depart from it. Ugg i can't remember!!anyway it's something like that.
Another verse (not word perfect, and I can't remember the address) is:
Grow a Child up in the way of the Lord, so that he may teach his children and grandchildren.

Probally bearly close, but...

Nice to know that there are others here that are also Christians! (Other then a 3 people that I have PMed that are also Christians)

Calling everyone who loves Jesus and God, could you please put some refrence to it in you sig? A Bible verse, a quote, a personal thing, or a saying will work! For an exsample, see my Sig., it's the first thing there. It would be nice to just look at your sig. and know that you ARE a Christian also! I like seeing other people with the same religion!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:18 PM   #87
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

What's so terrible about the "forcing kids to go to church" thing is when parents force their kids to go to church, but they don't themselves go to church. That seems to me to be about the worst thing you can do to kids. That's really hypocritical - no wonder the kids usually grow up hating church.

On the other hand, if you believe that your belief system (Christianity, athiesm, or anything else) is the truth, then of course you would want to teach your children your beliefs.

Hey, samwiselvr2008, is the Narnia quote in my sig good enough? I love that quote! The more we understand of God, the bigger and more wonderful we realize He is (although He Himself never changes, our perception of Him changes and becomes more accurate as we grow).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 01-06-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:50 PM   #88
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

Yes

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:33 AM   #89
BeardofPants
the Shrike

To clarify:

Atheism is a belief system based on a set of ideas. OR, an ideology. What it isn't, is a religion.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:02 AM   #90
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Wow this has taken a turn for the ugly.

Well maybe I should defend that ^^ I dont really like seeing people argue about eachothers religions. :P It really gets us nowhere. I like learning about other religions.

I dont really have a religion right now.

As far as believing Eru as a God....I agree with (dunno who it was) when they said he is a fictional character...cant bring myself to believe that he ever really existed/will exist/exists.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #91
Rían

I would say that by some definitions of the word "religion" that are in the dictionary, atheism could be considered a religion, but I won't bother to "pick that nit" any further with you, BoP, since I already know we disagree , and it's not a big deal for me anyway. My main concern is that athiesm should NOT be portrayed as a "neutral" position as opposed to religious beliefs, because athiesm is in itself a belief, just like religious beliefs. I would say that we would probably both agree that atheism is not an organized religion, though, which is what many people think of when they think of "religion".

BTW, BoP, re our discussion a month or so ago on this subject, you were saying (IIRC) that all religions had some sort of God in them. From what I can tell, however, Buddhism (which I think you would consider a religion) is an "athiestic religion" - there is no God (people knowing more than I do please feel free to correct me!!)

Old 01-07-2003, 01:15 AM   #92
Rían

I just saw your post, Firekitten (I was typing while you posted) - I thought we were still in the realm of polite discussion (which is interesting and informative), not ugly argument (except for the straw men remark ) but maybe it's getting too serious ... shall we "lighten up", zavon? (since you started the thread)

And can anyone "learn" me about that aspect of Buddhism?(speaking of learning about other religions )

Last edited by Rían : 01-07-2003 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:16 AM   #93
Eruviel Greenleaf

You're right, Rian--I just looked this up in The World's Religions: Understanding the Living Faiths, by Dr. Peter B. Clarke. It says:
Quote:
For Buddhists, there is no belief in, or worship of, a personal creator God.
I like Buddhism. I think I'm going to look into it more. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:21 AM   #94
Rían

Thanks for checking that, EG - rather different than most religions, isn't it?

Old 01-07-2003, 01:24 AM   #95
Eruviel Greenleaf

Yes, quite different. Anything else you'd like to know? I'll gladly look it up for you

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:52 AM   #96
Rían

Yes - how can I make all my massively-stacked-up-from-being-gone-to-visit-family-at-Christmas-paperwork go away - without having bill collectors come to visit

*sigh* never mind, I think the only answer to that is to just dive in and do it....

Old 01-07-2003, 02:12 AM   #97
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Actually, I would consider buddhism to be more of a philosophy, than a religion.

I've always envied my boyfriend, because he was brought up to be buddhist. He even lived with his parents in nepal for a while, and made friends with some buddhist monks. Lucky bastard.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 01-07-2003 at 02:16 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:14 AM   #98
Eruviel Greenleaf

A very organized philosophy? Yes, I think you're right, BoP.

Yes, Rian, I think that's the best way to go about it Though it sometimes helps to remember to do just one thing at a time and eventually it all gets done

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #99
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

There are some things I like about Buddhism: living moderately, the eightfold path, etc.

However, from a rational standpoint, I have one big problem with it: the Noble Truth that says that all suffering comes from selfish desire. There's many bad things that cause suffering besides selfish desire (hate, anger). It just doesn't seem right to me that all bad things happen because of selfishness
Old 01-08-2003, 05:28 AM   #100
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
RÃ*an:
I don't understand what you mean by this.
That's okay. I'll try to make things clearer for you.
Quote:
More:
If it is not applicable, then why did you bring it up? Do you perhaps mean that you do not agree with it? That's a different thing. Or do you not mean that, either?
Here's your misunderstanding. The act of *snipping* deletes text. Whenever I have used the *snip* tool, I have disgarded the text that is irrelevant to my reply as a whole. I see no point in quoting something that I am not replying to.
Quote:
More:
I haven't brought any out yet, and I don't intend to .
Thought as much.
Quote:
More:
If we are to venture into rational discourse, I would ask that you post rational replies,
Explain to me why my reply was irrational. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
More:
instead of using insulting expressions such as "straw men"
I don't see anything insulting about it.
Quote:
More:
and then not even bothering to offer reasons why you believe what I said to be a "straw man".
I thought it was obvious.

You misrepresented my position. I do not make the claim that God or gods do(es) not exist, and I fail to see how, by the viewing of my posts in this thread, you came to that conclusion.
Quote:
More:
I'm open to your apologies over the use of that expression
My apologies? Lol!
Quote:
More:
You say it isn't a belief system, yet the word "belief" is in BOTH of your definitions.
Correct.
Quote:
More:
That sure seems to invalidate your statement that it's not a belief system.
No, it doesn't. Since when does a single belief constitute a belief system? If I believe that the sky is red, is that a system of belief? A lack of the single belief definitely does not constitute a belief system.
Quote:
More:
Well, this is verging on needing to go into another thread, because I want to honor the thread starter's request to not argue. Shall we just "agree to disagree"? I'm fine with that if you are.
If argumentation cannot be used to persuade, then I don't see another option.
Quote:
Lizra:
As much as I'd LOVE to see a new thread on this, Anduril is busy with me on our desert island tonight!
AGAIN!? Kidding! I can't wait for the aerobics
Quote:
RÃ*an:
*snip*

On the other hand, if you believe that your belief system (Christianity, athiesm, or anything else) is the truth,

*snip*
I would be interested to hear your explanation of how atheism can be classified as a belief system. No argumentation, just explanation.
Quote:
BoP:
To clarify:

Atheism is a belief system based on a set of ideas.

*snip*
Why don't you provide your definition of "belief system". That should clear things up a tad.
Quote:
RÃ*an:
I would say that by some definitions of the word "religion" that are in the dictionary, atheism could be considered a religion,

*snip*
Really? Which dictionary is this?
Quote:
More:
My main concern is that athiesm(sic) should NOT be portrayed as a "neutral" position as opposed to religious beliefs, because athiesm is in itself a belief, just like religious beliefs.
Please stipulate the belief of weak atheism.

Last edited by Andúril : 01-08-2003 at 05:30 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote