Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #81
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You don't need a games system to play games, just a computer. And considering you can post here, you must have that. I've got no other game system than my computer and I need nothing else.
Well, I understand that some of them are online... I mentioned my friends play Runescape. A lot of the ones people mention here are on Play staions or x-boxes or something, though, right? Sims is both a program and an online game, isn't it?

I have played a couple of computer games. I mean, in addition to the ones long before most people here were born, I mean. But I'm pretty sure I couldn't play most games on this computer...I can't even see video. Or a lot of recipe sites, these days. Darn Flash players.

My friends in high school were very early computer people. We programmed then with punch cards. By the time I got to college, some places had mainframes. Some of the mainframes were even networked, after a fashion, and to play games on them you had to get to a place that had one, and talk someone into letting you in, in the dead of night, to give directions to a keyboard, black and white monitor, and you had to allow for "drift" in the shoot 'em ups, because there was so much lag time.

After PC's, you had to build them yourselves, Heathkit.

I learn something new every day, maybe one day will be a fascination with WoW. That'll have to be after golf, though. I'm considering learning that. I like Twain's description of 'a long walk spoiled.'

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May

Last edited by sisterandcousinandaunt : 04-19-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #82
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post

I learn something new every day, maybe one day will be a fascination with WoW. That'll have to be after golf, though. I'm considering learning that. I like Twain's description of 'a long walk spoiled.'
Hehe WoW.. no no you musn't go there I've heard some scary things about that game.. Addiction, druggish effect on gamers, suicides, etc. That game is a social-loser-factory I'm sure. Big spaces, lots of missions and things like that and characters whom you can improve. It's a recipe for disaster
Go to youtube and search for it and you'll see. Run away run away!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #83
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Oh, you are truly evil! You... you... Darth Mari!
See!? For all of you who made fun of me when I said I was evil, here is someone who acknowledges my evilness! Mwuhahaha

I just knew it!

*doing an evil happy dance*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 04-19-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #84
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Hehe WoW.. no no you musn't go there I've heard some scary things about that game.. Addiction, druggish effect on gamers, suicides, etc. That game is a social-loser-factory I'm sure. Big spaces, lots of missions and things like that and characters whom you can improve. It's a recipe for disaster
Half of my class in 2nd year was addicted to it. That year another 30% dropped out, two of them seriously told me it was because they were so addicted to that game that they didn't hand in papers or came to class, just to play!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #85
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Online gaming holds little interest for me. Although I came to the 'moot in the middle of an exam period, and let me tell you, it was at times difficult to concentrate on text books right then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
See!? For all of you who made fun of me when I said I was evil, here is someone who acknowledges my evilness! Mwuhahaha

I just knew it!

*doing an evil happy dance*
Alas, what have we unleashed into the unexpecting world?

Say, oh Evil Mari, will you be going to the Elf Fantasy Fair this weekend?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #86
Mari
Elf Lady

No. I contemplated it, but I don't want to go alone AND I should focus on translating >_<
Are you going? (Did you ever go?)

Old 04-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #87
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Well, as I pointed out, I can't see youtube.

Quote:
Half of my class in 2nd year was addicted to it. That year another 30% dropped out, two of them seriously told me it was because they were so addicted to that game that they didn't hand in papers or came to class, just to play!
There's always something. I worry that people put too many of their resources into these games from very young, myself. I know a lot of parents who are struggling, but manage the newest game system for a 7 year old's birthday. Well, if you're spending money on that, you aren't buying books, and if you're spending time on that, you aren't going caving. Of course, people have cable TV in bedrooms, too.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #88
Earniel

Quote:
No. I contemplated it, but I don't want to go alone AND I should focus on translating >_<
Are you going? (Did you ever go?)
*sigh* I wanted to go, like the last two years or so, but I didn't want to go alone either. And the friends I invited along took three weeks to read their mail and more than a week to decide whether going would work out with their jobs and kid and I can't even call them. Needless to say I haven't heard anything in time (like today) to get tickets and organise the long trip. *shrugs* Maybe next year, and then I'll be sure to send them a letter (aangetekend!) two months before hand and then maybe we can work it out.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #89
Mari
Elf Lady

Haha, yes the lettre seems like a good idea, especially the "aangetekend" part
I have one friend whom I might actually get to go with me, but most of my friends are pretty down to earth, so my whole fantasy-fascination... they just don't get it

Sis, yeah I wonder about that sometimes too. >_<

Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #90
Earniel

You know what, if we're still here next year and we both can't get hold of friends who might want to go then, we'll go together. What'cha think of that?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #91
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
You know what, if we're still here next year and we both can't get hold of friends who might want to go then, we'll go together. What'cha think of that?
*makes mental note to surprise them at this festival next year, whatever it is. Buys sedatives for trip.*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 04-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #92
Mari
Elf Lady

Sure! (I can get you that pancake with ragoût then too)

EDIT: Sis, please do!
The Elf Fair is a weekend long festival where you can play real life RPG's, buy a lot of fantasy stuff, they have workshops and with a fantasy sound. Many people come dressed as an elf, or whatever. I always watched them on the train on Sunday when they would go home and I would go to my room.

Last edited by Mari : 04-19-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #93
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Ah, just my speed.

I do an enormous amount of gratuitious dressing up.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #94
Mari
Elf Lady

I haven't since I was a child. There are two shops near my room that sell self-made clothes in a bit of a gothic/fantasy style. There was a broken white dress in the window 3 years ago in which I would have loved to get married
And they have many more wonderful dresses in the windows! Never went in though, because I know I can't afford them >_<

Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #95
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Well, I've been doing costume design for many years. And I have an attic full of costumes I rent and lend, as well. I even sew "heirloom" garments... mostly christening gowns and such, but the occasional wedding dress, as well. I love to sew. And it's much cheaper than hiring me to do it.

In this country (in addition to the Fantasy, SCA and RenFaire stuff), there's also a big historical reenactors business. Do you do that, there?

And I wanted to ask you, about college. What if you have always wanted to be ... like a therapist, or something, but you don't test high enough. Do you have to be a kindergarten teacher, instead?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 04-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #96
Mari
Elf Lady

I heard of the history reenaction thing, sounds like something I'd love to do! But I don't think we have that here. Dutchies are down to earth. At least, most people I know are.

Okay, say you want to be a therapist. At first you are tested at the end of elementary school (age 11) to decide to what level secundairy school you can go.
There are 5 or 6 different levels, differencing in where the focus is: practice, job-focused, to theory, scholarly focused. (The how and why difference).
There are 3 levels of tertiary schooling: MBO, college and university.
If you want to be a therapist, you have to first go to one of the 2 highest levels of secundairy school (or finish a lower level and climb up) and then continue to university.
You can also go from MBO to college to university but that path will take you quite some time.
So though there are short and long paths, you can always in theory at least get there.
However if you can't pass the university BA, you'll never get there.
There is nowadays a Psychology course on college-level, but since it is new, companies rather have the (in their view) more accomplished people from a university.

Hope this makes some sense >_<

Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #97
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Here, the difference between a college and a university is largely size. Universities have graduate programs (after the 4-year program of a bachelor's degree.) and tend to be bigger. Some 4-year colleges (residential) have only a couple hundred students.

There are schools that used to be called "Junior Colleges" and are now more often called "community colleges" that have 2 year associate degrees, AA or AS. People may stop there, or may transfer those credits (if they can) to a 4-year program. It is up to individual schools what credits (or how many) they accept.

All secondary schools are considered roughly equal (although admissions' standards vary) so taking a more practical secondary program wouldn't necessarily keep you out of an advanced program. Some colleges and universities have 'open admissions', meaning anyone can get in, although some departments within them would be more demanding, so you might need to meet general requirements before being admitted to them.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #98
Mari
Elf Lady

Quite a difference then!
In my opinion it's quite strange there is no difference in secondary (so that's how you spell it!) schools, considering not everyone can study very well and likes the same things. Some people are good at working with their hands, or they simply like that more. As I said, difference between the how and why of things.
But then again, if you get put in the wrong level, which occasionally happens, it is sometimes hard to get to a more appropriate level >_<

Thanks Sis! I find it interesting to learn more about different educational systems in different countries.

EDIT: All this talking has made me thirsty... Can I offer someone something to drink? I'm still debating on whether I'll go for a soda, or make myself some tea...

Last edited by Mari : 04-19-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #99
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Good morning everyone....errr...orr good almost noon...if 11:22 is still considered morning... anyway, hello. Anyone care for some delicious ripe green grapes?
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #100
Mari
Elf Lady

Yes! Me! Me wants some delicious ripe green grapes!
I can use them as desert, because here it is dinner time

And a good day to you. That's "mer haba" in Turkish by the way

Closed Thread