Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #81
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh lord… James Inhofe is a well known right wing stooge and blowhard and one of the last real hold outs when it comes to global warming. Its also not a coincidence that he represents some of the biggest oil and gas interests in the country… And this is from his own blog! Not the language of some official government body despite the fact you make it look like it is with that link. Inhofe has been called out more than once for his ignorance, distortions and downright lies he has made about global warming.

Check out the debunking sites listed below. It gives lots of information about Inhofe’s claims:

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/9/25/17124/9789

Quote:
Inhofe comes off like nothing so much as an assiduous right-wing blogger who's spent hours in his Cheeto-scattered basement combing the net for every rumor, half-truth, and slander he can find, collecting them all into some half-ass database of delusion.

It's a bravura performance, though one can't help wonder when Oklahomans' more pressing concerns are being addressed.
Indeed…

I don’t have time to go through each of these preposterous claims that often amount to word tricks or using short term variations as the only data source. But here are just a few links debunking many of the claims that Inhofe posts (and that have been debunked many times before but he ignores that…)

http://debunking.pbwiki.com/The+Heartland+Institute

http://bravenewclimate.com/2008/11/2...fail-to-grasp/

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/11/4/175028/329

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporat...e/myths/2.html

http://environment.newscientist.com/...change/dn14527

http://www.skepticalscience.com/glob...ed-in-1998.htm

http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/2008/...th-gets-fried/

http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/2008/...is-over-again/

http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/2008/...ses-are-level/

Desperate delusional head in the sand nonsense…

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #82
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nice post, IR, a good resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Desperate delusional head in the sand nonsense…
Absolutely right.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #83
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yep, one of the great things about the last two election cycles is that that crank has been firmly removed from any position of influence.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #84
inked
Elf Lord

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/sc...rssnyt&emc=rss

Oh, my! Discovered during the crank era!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #85
inked
Elf Lord

And this just in! http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=54528

Also started during the crank era!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #86
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/sc...rssnyt&emc=rss

Oh, my! Discovered during the crank era!
I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make here- from the article you quoted

Quote:
The authors stressed that the pause in warming represented only a temporary blunting of the centuries of rising temperatures that scientists have projected if carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases continue accumulating in the atmosphere.
These natural variations can also amplify warming, and that is likely to happen in future decades on and off as well, experts say.

The global climate will continue to be influenced in any particular decade by a mix of natural variability and the building greenhouse effect, said Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. He said efforts to build forecasts by mixing modeling and measurements were vital in a world with rising populations in places where poverty leads to vulnerability from climate-related threats like flooding and famine.

It should also help the public and policy makers understand that a cool phase does not mean the overall theory of human-driven warming is flawed, Dr. Trenberth said.

“Too many think global warming means monotonic relentless warming everywhere year after year,” Dr. Trenberth said. “It does not happen that way.”
What the authors are saying is that the overall trend of human-driven global warming will interact with natural cooling and warming trends, as well as local weather patterns.

inked, if you're quoting articles in support of your argument, it helps to find ones that actually support your argument, instead of blowing it out of the water.

Or do you ever read past the headline?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #87
inked
Elf Lord

Al Gore really takes the message to the people about global warming! He apparently did not watch his own movie or ...

http://climatedepot.com/a/8595/Gore-...transportation

I’ll start to believe that global warming is a crisis when global warming believers start acting like they believe it.

Last edited by Tessar : 10-29-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: No baiting, please.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #88
inked
Elf Lord

More Gore!

GORE UNHINGED! LOSES IT ...

http://climatedepot.com/a/12210/Gore...Depot-Responds

......."Former Vice President Al Gore sounded a defeated tone and lamented the utter failure of the man-made global warming movement during a speech to the Aspen Institute in Colorado on August 4, 2011. Gore used multiple curse words in an emotional speech that revealed his deep frustration and all but conceded defeat to global warming skeptics.

Defeated Gore unleashes: 'It's no longer acceptable in mixed company, meaning bipartisan company, to use the goddamn word 'climate'...we cannot possibly come to an agreement on it' - August 5, 2011"

Gore Claim: 'It may be volcanoes.' Bullshit!'

Reality Check: Gore has not been keeping up on the latest data and peer-reviewed studies. Yes, volcanoes can and do have a big impact on global warming. See:

Flashback 2008 Study: 'Lack of observed [volcanic] dust in atmosphere could be responsible for as much as .18 to .36 degrees F rise (about 1/3rd) in avg. temp since the 1960s' -- 'Earth's atmosphere is comparatively free of volcanic dust, and that relatively large amounts of sunlight are being refracted through the Earth's atmosphere'

Gore Claim: 'It may be sun spots.' Bullshit!'

Reality Check: Gore simply is trapped in the Co2 or bust mode of thinking. See:

2009 Peer-Reviewed Study: 'Sunspot cycle has a big effect on the earth's weather'

Gore Claim: 'It's not getting warmer.' Bullshit!'

Reality Check: Gore may want to scream 'Bullshit' as his pal, UN IPCC Chair Pachauri who has acknowledged global warming has stopped. Flashback 2008: UN IPCC Chairman Pachauri 'to look into the apparent temperature plateau so far this century'......."

Much more with video link to Al's little "moment" and peer-reviewed articles refuting his bald-faced assertions contray to reality.

ENJOY!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #89
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Where are the factual inaccuracies in what Gore said?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #90
inked
Elf Lord

The linked studies, should you care to look. Al doesn't, apparently, even bother to listen to the IPCC.

NO surprise.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #91
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

No they're not. I looked. It is, as Gore says, "bullshit".

Or, to be more precise, deliberate misrepresentation. But I think Bullshit is a bit snappier.

Nah, course there's no global warming.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #92
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Here we go again...

Quote:
GORE UNHINGED! LOSES IT ...
Yea, ten years of banging your head against a brick wall of stupidity, dishonesty, and ideologically-inspired blindness can do that to a guy.

Quote:
Gore Claim: 'It may be volcanoes.' Bullshit!'

Reality Check: Gore has not been keeping up on the latest data and peer-reviewed studies. Yes, volcanoes can and do have a big impact on global warming. See:

Flashback 2008 Study: 'Lack of observed [volcanic] dust in atmosphere could be responsible for as much as .18 to .36 degrees F rise (about 1/3rd) in avg. temp since the 1960s'
funny they didn't include the rest of the quote from the article:

Quote:
They say that the lack of observed dust in the atmosphere over the past 12 years could be responsible for as much as a .1 to .2 degree Celsius rise (about .18 to .36 degrees Fahrenheit) in the average temperature on Earth since the 1960s. That certainly wouldn’t account for the entire range of observed temperature shifts (the average temperature in that time has risen by about .6 Celsius, or 1.08 Fahrenheit degrees) –
but if true, it could complicate global climate change analyses.

Other scientists say this idea doesn’t hold water. New Scientists quotes one of the scientists on the UN-affiliated Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as saying that their recent report, which attributed virtually all recent warming to man made greenhouse gases, had taken the issue of volcanic dust into account.

In fact, the IPCC scientists said, haze levels have been slightly higher over the past 40 years compared to the previous 20 years, so the overall volcano-related temperature trend should have been towards cooling.

There’s almost no question that this is going to stir up the climate-change deniers. So, before people get too excited, and claim that all this global warming is happening because we’re just going through a period of low volcanic activity – read the IPCC reports. And all the other very good science on the subject.

The Colorado data is interesting, and a welcome contribution to the debate, but in no way reverses the overwhelming body of scientific opinion that that says we’re in serious trouble if we don’t do something about our greenhouse gas output.
Did you read the linked articles?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...nar-eclipse-p/
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...Id=space_rss20

Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #93
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

and BTW, 0.1 to 0.2 of a 0.6 change is between 1/6 and 1/3,
not "about 1/3rd"

So what explains the other 2/3 to 5/6 of the change?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #94
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Gore Claim: 'It may be sun spots.' Bullshit!'

Reality Check: Gore simply is trapped in the Co2 or bust mode of thinking. See:

2009 Peer-Reviewed Study: 'Sunspot cycle has a big effect on the earth's weather'
After going through link after link through various denialist sites, we finally come to the author of the study:

Quote:
For those wondering how the study bears on global warming, Gerald Meehl, lead author on the study, says that it doesn’t – at least not directly....

Global warming is a long-term trend, Dr. Meehl says in a phone conversation. By contrast, this study attempts to explain the processes behind a periodic occurrence. But, he says, a model finally able to reproduce a complex phenomenon observed in the real world does suggest that our climate models – the same ones we use to predict what will happen to global climate as we ratchet up co2 concentrations – are improving. And that will, inevitably, have an affect on the climate discussion.
http://reason.com/blog/2009/08/27/su...ly-affect-weat

Quote:
Gore Claim: 'It's not getting warmer.' Bullshit!'

Reality Check: Gore may want to scream 'Bullshit' as his pal, UN IPCC Chair Pachauri who has acknowledged global warming has stopped. Flashback 2008: UN IPCC Chairman Pachauri 'to look into the apparent temperature plateau so far this century'......."

Much more with video link to Al's little "moment" and peer-reviewed articles refuting his bald-faced assertions contray to reality.

ENJOY!
Just Google "global warming plateau" to handle this one.

Note that the following 3 arguments are made in this one article:

1)scientific studies show global warming is caused by a lack of volcanic activity, not human activity

2)scientific studies show global warming is caused by sunspots/cosmic rays, not human activity

and

3) there is no global warming

Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #95
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I waded through a few more of the other claims- you eventually end up at either an already refuted denialist claim or the original research that doesn't say what the article says it does- if you want to waste your time on this, it's simply more of the usual bafflegab and bull

Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #96
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Thanks GM, you performed an important public service there.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #97
inked
Elf Lord

I think Al is pissed because his carbon offset business is in peril. Or else he believes his flying jets and use of electricity are not conducive to global warming. Probably because he invented the internet - one of the large usages of electricity in the world these days.

Of course, there are natural variations in warming and CO2 and O2 levels. Just ask the now extinct two-foot wingspan dragonflies of the past or trilobites or dinosaurs.

Shall we stay the hand of nature so completely as not to imperil humanity? Is it possible? Is there only a human cause to climate change/global warming or Gaia implacable?

Enquiring minds and all that.............

There is however, reason to hope: http://www.sf-fandom.com/vbulletin/s...Climate-Change

Last edited by inked : 08-12-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #98
inked
Elf Lord

Legitimate reasons why the stall in the climate change confuses folks...

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...perature_rise_

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...e_gas_emitters

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...cooler_climate

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...s_missing_heat

Naysayers are not without evidence of their own, but interpretations may differ, of course. Al G nonwithstanding.....