Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #81
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
tamuril, how do you know that the potion was meant to revive voldemort and became poisen? did i miss something?
durinsbane.....voldy would want to drink a potion that would make him stronger and then he'd collect his soul, so the person who took the real locket put in the poison

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #82
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Wow, that's an interesting theory.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #83
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
sorry that was alllllll me yesterday...i just poured out my thoughts. okay about the potion...voldemort hides his horcruxes personally so he would put in a potion to help him get stronger and then he would collect his soul and volia! voldy has his soul and in him a potion that made him stronger. if you think about it it makes a lot of sense....lol to me lol....so when the person who stole the locket would want it to look like it had been berfore they stole the locket...so the person who stole the locket obliviously wanted voldy to die...so by putting in a poison, its tricking voldy into thinking that the soul was never touched right? and then he'd drink it thinking i'll be strong again but then he chokes on it and dies...tragic...lol
hahahah confusing and long but perfectly my thoughts lol
I have to disagree...

Voldemort wouldn't put there as posion to make people stronger; he wanted to stop people from getting to the horcrux, not helping them. It makes no sense to put there a potion that strengthens the drinker: if Voldemort really wants one he can probably create another bottle of the potion.

I'm sure Voldemort had his own ways to pass through the potion. Even if he doesn't, he could always take one of his servents with him to drink it.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #84
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

ah, righto...see, i thought that was in the books and i missed it...logical assumption, ok...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #85
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

But, the point to having part of his soul in the locket and in the poison was so that it would be protected- ensuring his continued existance. And he has an arrogence that would lead him to believe that no one could get past his spells of protection. So, how often do you think he would really go to check up on his soul? What good does it really do him now? I mean, it's out of the way, and 'safe'. And I doubt very much that he would need it- unless he dicided to fuse his soul back together or something- which seems rather immpossible.... So I think that it was poison the whole time- but as Dumbeldore said- not fatal poison.
And I have a theory about how D.D is still aive, but.... If Voldemort did go check, just to see how things were, he'd expect anyone who had made it to the horcrux and drank the potion to still be lying there- screaming for water and such. But he can't really go off to check all the time- so maybe he had created a potion that would sort of 'preserve' people. And keep them alive, but unconsous until he came and woke them. Then the potion would be 'preserving' D.D and keeping him alive- be D.D was slightly stronger and therefore didn't lose conciousness. But when they got back to the tower and Snape (who I don't really believe to be evil, but, jic....) - and Snape attacked him, the potion took affect to keep him alive....
Lol. So, what do you think? Lol.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #86
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

It sounds improbable; we don't know of any potion that can resist Avada Kedavra... Voldemort would've used it on himself wouldn't he? Even if it has some side effects.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #87
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I suppose it could be possible, but even if it was I don't think You-know-who would have used it on himself. Those are some very serious side-effects...
But I think Dumbledore is dead. They buried his body right? They at least found it, I think they would have noticed that he was still alive.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #88
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Yeah, but if Snape didn't really want to kill D.D then the spell would've been weak- like Harry's crucio in OotP. It would've affected him, without being fatal. And Harry never saw the body after he looked at it under the tower. And it never mentions D.D wand. In the song Hagrid and Slug. sang, the wizards wand was snapped and buried with him. We didn't hear about Dumbeldore's wand again after it flew over the tower.

Last edited by Merenwen Vardamir : 03-10-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Merenwen Vardamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #89
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Also there is the one theory I read of, about the draft of living death (has that already been discussed here?) Like- the potions Slug. showed his class- all of the were significant later on.... Polyjuice was used by Crabbe and Goyle, Felix- used by Harry. But the Draft wasn't used later. So it could've been that in the basin....
Old 03-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #90
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

true, but it would've most likely taken affect sooner...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #91
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I have to disagree...

Voldemort wouldn't put there as posion to make people stronger; he wanted to stop people from getting to the horcrux, not helping them. It makes no sense to put there a potion that strengthens the drinker: if Voldemort really wants one he can probably create another bottle of the potion.

I'm sure Voldemort had his own ways to pass through the potion. Even if he doesn't, he could always take one of his servents with him to drink it.
alright! alright! true enough smarty pants

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #92
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Could dd skoop up the locket with the bottle then pour the potion onto the floor that way they would have the locket even if the potion had refilled.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #93
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmm, belated comment:

Avada Kedavra... is an unforgiveable curse; only ONE person has ever known to survive-HP, so DD is mort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider8
Could dd skoop up the locket with the bottle then pour the potion onto the floor that way they would have the locket even if the potion had refilled.
That wasn't tried, but remember they couldn't penetrate to the bottom of the basin, only skim the potion with the bottle. It will be most interesting if JR explains how RAB did it.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #94
tomstheman
Enting

Comment long overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickhollow
That's interesting, and it could really be the horcrux, but don't you think that Harry would have recognized it as the locket from Grimmauld Place when he first saw it in the memories that Dumbledore showed him?

It doesn't really say how long harrry and the others looked at the locket. i mean Most of the stuff there were cleaning up was fairly dangerous which would be a good reason not to really examine things. Also harry had no reason to think all the way back to Grimmauld Place. i mean he didn't know about the locket being a fake and he didn't have a reason to remember the locket they threw away because it wasn't really a big thing i mean there's no reason for it to stick out in his mind. Especially with all the other things they were dealing with.
I guess if it had really been SS's then it probably would have had his crest like the ring. So they probably would have known it was special, this being the locket in Grimmauld Place.
I've heard of alot of good theories and i can't wait to see what JK does in the next book. Does any one know when its supposed to come out?
Why is the latin word for fear of long words Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Yes it is i checked online.

Remember Remember the fifth of November
tomstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #95
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The other day a news article said she's written the first four chapters and had been running around the city for 40 min. looking for a store that sold lined paper upon which to write......so I guess we have a bit of a wait ahead.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #96
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Could the sorting hat be a Horcrux? (probably not, just an idea).It was one of the founders
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #97
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well I don't think the sorting hat but perhaps the sword that Harry pulled from it and that is still in DD old office, belonged to the founder of Griffindor.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #98
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I doubt Voldemort could get it though. It's safe in the hat in Dumbledore's office. And also only a Gryffindor student could get it from the hat.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #99
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

RTB-you forget, the 'evil' forces got into Hogwarts once, I don't think a simple thing like a password (knowledge of) would keep them out of the office, if they assaulted the school again. As far as the hat thingy, anyone can get the hat if they get into the office, I just think that with all the interaction, each term, with students, it would have made a poor place to preserve part of ones soul.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #100
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
RTB-you forget, the 'evil' forces got into Hogwarts once, I don't think a simple thing like a password (knowledge of) would keep them out of the office, if they assaulted the school again. As far as the hat thingy, anyone can get the hat if they get into the office, I just think that with all the interaction, each term, with students, it would have made a poor place to preserve part of ones soul.
Agreed on the last part - though you have to admit it would certainly be unpredictable!

I still don't think it was possible for Voldemort to kill anyone in Dumbledore's office and put part of his soul in the sword while Dumbledore was Headmaster, without him knowing about it later.