Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #81
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Only ........comments as the one you just made.

That's a bit harsh and insulting.

Last edited by Spock : 01-14-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #82
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Look Spock, I was waxing eloquent in defense of a beloved movie. Do you think that I would actually mean it, when saying someone is "worthless in soul" because they disagree with me over a movie? How could I possibly know that you were "weak in body?" I was being absurd. I also consider you to be a good friend. Have I ever insulted you before? No, and I have still never sent you a real insult.

I decided to respond 1,000,000fold to your post, so that it was obvious I was not serious (I definitely apologize for coming across unclearly about this), while at the same time effectively defending what needed defending.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-14-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #83
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Only those weak in body, small in mind, limp in heart, corrupt in character, worthless in soul and pointless in existence make such treasonous, gutless and diseased comments as the one you just made.
If someone prattled this off to me, I would not - repeat, NOT - take it lightly and "laugh," or whatever. How rude is this!! Lief, once again you shove your feet in your mouth. If you want to quote witticisms and creative insults from movies, maybe you should be more sensitive to how A. - it's going to be taken, B. it's going to feel to someone to read this about themself no matter HOW much of a joke YOU think it is, and C. how or whether or not the recipient of such an insult might even recognise it from some movie or book.

It is NOT O.K. to insult people, Lief, and I know you say you don't mean it or you're being "misunderstood" and so forth, every time that foot gets lodged in your mouth, but don't you think perhaps it might be time to look at yourself a little more carefully & learn how to be more gentlemanly to people? I knew right away that your quote was from the movie, but I STILL thought it was crass and snobbish to direct it at another mooter, period. Not cool.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #84
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(remember those winkie smilies, and I didn't know it was a quote from the movie, either! Careful with typed communication!!!!!!!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #85
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
How rude is this!! Lief, once again you shove your feet in your mouth. If you want to quote witticisms and creative insults from movies, maybe you should be more sensitive to how A. - it's going to be taken,
I was careful to avoid words that sounded to me at all as though they might be intended as real insults, for this reason.
Quote:
B. it's going to feel to someone to read this about themself no matter HOW much of a joke YOU think it is,
I think that I would be amused if someone constructed a clever and highly unrealistic (no bad language or obvious real meaning) attack on me.
Quote:
and C. how or whether or not the recipient of such an insult might even recognise it from some movie or book.
No worries there, for it came from my head rather than from a movie or book.
Quote:
It is NOT O.K. to insult people, Lief, and I know you say you don't mean it or you're being "misunderstood" and so forth, every time that foot gets lodged in your mouth, but don't you think perhaps it might be time to look at yourself a little more carefully & learn how to be more gentlemanly to people?
I'm working at it.

Granted, I made mistakes in posting what I did, and I do apologize to you, Spock.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-14-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #86
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:

I'm working at it.
No you're not, not if you come up with things like that to say from out of your own head to a totally innocent mooter just because he happens to disagree with you - about his taste in a MOVIE, for crying out loud. "Working at it" means thinking about it before doing it, and then not doing it. Come on, Lief - when does "working at it" actually become "doing it?"

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #87
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Quote:

I'm working at it.

No you're not, not if you come up with things like that to say from out of your own head to a totally innocent mooter just because he happens to disagree with you - about his taste in a MOVIE, for crying out loud. "Working at it" means thinking about it before doing it, and then not doing it. Come on, Lief - when does "working at it" actually become "doing it?"
Speaking tongue-and-cheek insults is not wrong or bad. My family members and I do it all the time to one another at my house, and have a blast doing so. I did no wrong here except in failing to make obvious enough how non-serious I was. In that, I did make a mistake.

You are incorrect in accusing me of making no effort to be a gentleman, and I think it is unkind of you to make that presumption. I completely agree with you that being a gentleman requires action rather than mere thought. I do work at it. I try to do what is right and at times analyze my behavior and listen to the Holy Spirit to find my faults, accept forgiveness and then change as he gives me the strength to do so. I think that every person should do that. I certainly make plenty of mistakes, and perhaps I don't try hard enough, but I do try.

I apologize now to the normal posters on this thread for being such a source of contention, and for driving this thread off course by my carelessness.

I'm finished apologizing. Anything more related to this that anyone has to say, please let it be over PM, rather than driving the thread off-topic.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-15-2006 at 02:54 AM.