Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #81
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Ok, TD, let us forget for a moment life support machines and wraithification.
Let us approach the problem thus:

Here is the Dark Lord Sauron in the Dark bathtub in the Dark Tower in the Dark land of Mordor . He has just learned that the One Ring is in "the Shire" in possession of a "Baggins-creature". What he fears most of all? That some powerful dude claims his Ring, masters it and becomes a new Dark Lord.

For the moment his fears are much allayed because "Baggins" must be a creature of the same sort as Gollum, weak and undersized, no good for a wannabe Ringlord (see UT).The first he sends after the Ring is Gollum. With him Sauron will have no problems: even if Gollum claims the Ring, he will not be able to master and wield it. But Gollum has not returned. So who is the next for the secret mission?

Sau scratches his dark head (or the back of his eyeball) and thinks who is to be send after the Ring. Who will not become the next Ringlord?
-Mouth? Mouth is loyal, but he would be tempted, well, anyone will be. Mouth as a wannabe Ringlord will be a difficult enemy. - Some lesser men? Dunlanding? Orc? No, even for that Sau is too paranoid... (scratch-scratch... )
- Ahh, I got it! I will send the nazgul. All the Nine! No matter they are almost blind, unused to such missions, fear water, daylight, etc. scare off everyone and not exactly inspire confidence in mortals whom they are supposed to question...
So, after much thought (UT) he sends the Witch-King -a very powerful immortal sorcerer, familiar with using rings of Power (actually an ideal new Ringlord) - backed by 8 associates, even while he was afraid to send much weaker creatures. Is Sau THAT DUMB? There must have been a VERY GOOD REASON for Sau to believe the WK will not even try to become a new Ringlord. He must have had a weapon against Witchy and a very powerful one. And this weapon was nothing else but his nazgul ring.

How about that?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #82
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

very good Mr Gordis!

I too am inclined to beleive that Sauron, musing in his champagne and essence of Morgul vale bubble-bath and scratching his head ( ) must for some reason have beleived the Nine or the WK would not or could not have attempted to seize the ring.

QUESTION IS though: WHY?

You yourself state variously that he was Over-confident and not always that bright in every decision he made? Is this another case of not dreaming the WK would attempt it? Like the thought never entered his head that anyone would attempt to destroy the ring?
Or simply having to risk it as no one else could be trusted anyway so may as well send some powerful emissaries into the West far away from his sphere of Influence, foes that "few indeed even in Imladris could ride openly against"etc
rather than some human or orc? A large Orc party would have encountered trouble anyway IMHO.

be objective here Gordis: if he can't trust anyone then it makes a sense to send the Nine because at least they stand a much better chance to find it (it calls to them) and have the power to ride against most adverseries they may come across (gandalf is forced to flee from Weathertop etc)

My question has always been hypothetical: what was stopping him trying ( still up in the air that one i beleive) and HYPOTHETICALLY IF he did take and MASTER it would he be victorious?

A few quick points:

1) I think TD is basically correct in his Life support theories: i think you'd struggle to argue against it, esp ref: that post that even wearing all the oher rings he was dis-embodied when the one was cut away

2) LCOU: welcome to the Quintet! I agree that if he mastered it he would rule: OK you do not feel he could master it: fair enough. Personally i agree with Gordis that he could do: the main question for me is: how quickly could he master it and how safely in that his main initial adversery as he learns or struggles to master it would be its former master Sauron?

3) TBC... ( have forgotten it off the top of my head to be honest )

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-10-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #83
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Gordis, I was saying that if the WK did claim the One then he could rule. I do not however believe that the WK could claim the One, as you said earlier Sauron could just drop his Ring into Orodruin, as that is his only supply of life. The still unanswered question is how would Sauron (presumably using the Eye) know that the Nazgûl was trying to master the One.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #84
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I do not however believe that the WK could claim the One, I do not however believe that the WK could claim the One, as you said earlier Sauron could just drop his Ring into Orodruin, as that is his only supply of life.
Now Telcontar, you confuse me! You were the inventor of the famous "life-support theory" which backed Butterbeers POV, and now you repeat my POV " as you said earlier Sauron could just drop his Ring into Orodruin, as that is his only supply of life."

WHAT SIDE ARE YOU ON? (asked Gordis fixing TD with red eyes from the empty cowl)

Quote:
The still unanswered question is how would Sauron (presumably using the Eye) know that the Nazgûl was trying to master the One.
Not using the Eye, IMHO, but through his 12 rings. When Sauron himself claimed the One back in the Second age all the elves wearing rings not only felt it, but even heard his very words. Sauron also felt Frodo claiming the Ring immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
QUESTION IS though: WHY? …be objective here Gordis: if he can't trust anyone then it makes a sense to send the Nine because at least they stand a much better chance to find it (it calls to them) and have the power to ride against most adverseries they may come across (gandalf is forced to flee from Weathertop etc)
Here comes the answer from UT describing Sau's reasoning:
Quote:
At length therefore he resolved to use the Ringwraiths. He had been reluctant to do so, until he knew precisely where the Ring was, for several reasons. They were by far the most powerful of his servants, and the most suitable for such a mission, since they were entirely enslaved to their Nine Rings, which he now himself held; they were quite incapable of acting against his will, and if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized the One Ring, he would have brought it back to his Master. But they had disadvantages, until open war began (for which Sauron was not yet ready). All except the Witch-king were apt to stray when alone by daylight; and all, again save the Witch-King, feared water, and were unwilling, except in dire need, to enter it or to cross streams unless dryshod by a bridge. Moreover, their chief weapon was terror. This was actually greater when they were unclad and invisible; and it was greater also when the were gathered together. So any mission on which they were sent could hardly be conducted with secrecy; while the passage of Anduin and other rivers presented an obstacle. For such reasons Sauron long hesitated, since he did not desire that his chief enemies should become aware of his servants' errand.
So, he sent the Nazgul because he held their 9 rings. He was confident that it was safe.
Quote:
the main question for me is: how quickly could he master it and how safely in that his main initial adversery as he learns or struggles to master it would be its former master Sauron?
-very quickly IMHO, practically right away.
- (IF we forget that Sau held the 9) WK's problem would be that in the North he had no loyal troops for military struggle. The possession of the One does not assure military victory (remember poor Sau). So I believe he would have tried to establish a realm and an army somewhere before confronting Sauron in Mordor. He needed men and orcs. Perhaps he would have gone to former Angmar, or to Dunland or to Umbar or to the East…
Old 05-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #85
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well now YOU confuse ME Gordis!

from UT posted by Gordis:
Quote:
At length therefore he resolved to use the Ringwraiths. He had been reluctant to do so, until he knew precisely where the Ring was, for several reasons. They were by far the most powerful of his servants, and the most suitable for such a mission, since they were entirely enslaved to their Nine Rings, which he now himself held; they were quite incapable of acting against his will, and if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized the One Ring, he would have brought it back to his Master.

Gordis: i am confused now as to your previous posts (if we allow any credence to the above : which also may be read and interpreted in other ways: but back to that later maybe)

you say consistently that the Nine were (where possible for sure) self serving and not team-Sauron-Players and imply they deliberately hindered (where they could) Sau's search for the ONE: and yet use as evidence a statement saying that "They were inacapable of acting against his will"

this seems to me to be inadmissable!

besides: ( circumstantial but open to the floor...)
he had been reluctant to do so

for several reasons

(they were most suitable; i argue that myself: but that's as a weighing up against the potential threat in this context IMHO)

the rest it seems purely and simply expounds Sauron's thinking on the matter other than any Factual exposition of fact (as indeed conjectured here by the
famous Five)

as we have already covered Sau perhaps didn't contemplate the thought of the WK daring to try his hand (or finger as it were) or that potentially Sau wouldn't be able to control him ( over-confidence again?)

as regards the WK and armies : i see it more as the having the fulcrum of power and being able to wield the captains and leuitenants etc in charge of sauron's armies for himself: a quick and self -protecting wind shift in the unloyal dogs of Mordor to their new master: and his eight suddenly even more deadly Servants.

remember how when the ring is dsetroyed in the fire: the armies of sauron lose direction and will? With the ring i beleive The WK could quickly establish himself the the leader, even from afar as he surges victoriously south. If he has mastered the ring and sauron is wearing the nine: he's open there and then to the WK's Will.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-10-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #86
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Now YOU confuse ME, Butterbeer, because I don't understand why YOU are confused…

I repeat again: I believe that after wraithification, the nazgul ring contained a part of the nazgul's soul, therefore the destruction of the nazgul ring (or rendering the ring powerless) would bring about the death of the nazgul. The command given by the holder of the nazgul ring will be obeyed by the nazgul, the direct question will be answered and so on. So Sau had reasons to believe he had total control. But was this control as total as he thought?
Quote:
At length therefore he resolved to use the Ringwraiths. He had been reluctant to do so, until he knew precisely where the Ring was, for several reasons. They were by far the most powerful of his servants, and the most suitable for such a mission, since they were entirely enslaved to their Nine Rings, which he now himself held; they were quite incapable of acting against his will, and if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized the One Ring, he would have brought it back to his Master.
He knew the WK was powerful, he understood that any powerful being was a potential treat if he got the Ring BUT he thought the WK to be an exception.
Why?
Because Sauron had his Ring.
Sauron thought that as the nazgul Ring had primary control over WK's will (or to put in in other words, the WK was entirely enslaved to it), he will be incapable of acting against the orders of the current wielder of his Ring (Sauron).

I repeat again I give credence that was exactly the way Sauron was reasoning. Not that it were entirely true, but that Sauron believed it! Now was he mistaken in his reasoning?
Grossly Sauron was right. He sent the WK to look for the Ring in the Vales. The WK replied "Yes, Lord", instead of advising the fool-who-has-lost-his-ring to get out of his bathtub and go look for it himself.
All the other orders Sau gave the nazgul were also carried out in letter at least, if not in spirit. Search the Vales - they searched the Vales. Go to Saruman? They went there. After being "officially" told where the Shire was, they went there and looked for Baggins and chased him. And IF the WK obtained the Ring, he wouldn't have claimed it for himself but would have brought it to Sau all right.

But in some details Sauron's reasoning had flows. IMHO, he was overconfident that he could read ALL of their thoughts. He could'n t do it even with Gollum! The WK could still lie by omission and hinder the mission by turning to inactivity when acting on his own and unobserved. The nazgul did not add their intellect to help the mission, just acted as automates obeying Sau's orders to the letter. The Witch-King probably knew outright where the Shire was, but he didn't venture to pass the info to Sau. Khamul told him that there were no halflings in the Vales, but still the WK ordered the nazgul to continue the search there for 2 months, not hurrying at all.
A really faithful servant would have either returned to report or passed on the other side of the mountains to look there. But the WK showed no initiative in the matter. And Sauron wanted him to show initiative, to help actively. That's why he was mad at the WK after this (UT).

Also Sauron never believed that ANYONE would wish to destroy the Ring. (that is canon). So he could not suspect the WK of wishing it! He reasoned that the WK would not claim the Ring, therefore he was not suspicious of him and didn't delve too deep into his mind.

Quote:
you say consistently that the Nine were (where possible for sure) self serving and not team-Sauron-Players and imply they deliberately hindered (where they could) Sau's search for the ONE: and yet use as evidence a statement saying that "They were inacapable of acting against his will" this seems to me to be inadmissable!
that statement is evidence of what Sauron believed.
What is the objective truth? IMHO : They were inacapable of acting against his orders but capable of not acting for his will (of not showing any initiative to help the mission).
Quote:
remember how when the ring is destroyed in the fire: the armies of sauron lose direction and will? With the ring i beleive
The orcs, trolls etc. lost direction and will when Sauron has forgotten about them and turned his attention elsewhere: to the Mountain. It was before the Ring was actually destroyed. Interesting passage that one. It means that to get things going Sau needed his unwavering attention on it. Probably the same was with the nazgul in the Shire, while Sau was looking with the Eye, he was urging them to act, but once distracted by something else (Saruman, Denethor, orcs, Mouth etc.) he loosened his control and the nazgul were up to their tricks.

As regards the WK and armies in the previous post I only tried half-heartedly to muse on the IF question, but still I believe that IF was impossible.

And from your POV, Butterbeer, why didn't the WK get the Ring in the Shire and become a wannabe Ringlord?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #87
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Now YOU confuse ME, Butterbeer, because I don't understand why YOU are confused…

I repeat again: I believe that after wraithification, the nazgul ring contained a part of the nazgul's soul, therefore the destruction of the nazgul ring (or rendering the ring powerless) would bring about the death of the nazgul. The command given by the holder of the nazgul ring will be obeyed by the nazgul, the direct question will be answered and so on. So Sau had reasons to believe he had total control. But was this control as total as he thought?

He knew the WK was powerful, he understood that any powerful being was a potential treat if he got the Ring BUT he thought the WK to be an exception.
Why?
Because Sauron had his Ring.
Sauron thought that as the nazgul Ring had primary control over WK's will (or to put in in other words, the WK was entirely enslaved to it), he will be incapable of acting against the orders of the current wielder of his Ring (Sauron).

I repeat again I give credence that was exactly the way Sauron was reasoning. Not that it were entirely true, but that Sauron believed it! Now was he mistaken in his reasoning?
Grossly Sauron was right. He sent the WK to look for the Ring in the Vales. The WK replied "Yes, Lord", instead of advising the fool-who-has-lost-his-ring to get out of his bathtub and go look for it himself.
All the other orders Sau gave the nazgul were also carried out in letter at least, if not in spirit. Search the Vales - they searched the Vales. Go to Saruman? They went there. After being "officially" told where the Shire was, they went there and looked for Baggins and chased him. And IF the WK obtained the Ring, he wouldn't have claimed it for himself but would have brought it to Sau all right.

But in some details Sauron's reasoning had flows. IMHO, he was overconfident that he could read ALL of their thoughts. He could'n t do it even with Gollum! The WK could still lie by omission and hinder the mission by turning to inactivity when acting on his own and unobserved. The nazgul did not add their intellect to help the mission, just acted as automates obeying Sau's orders to the letter. The Witch-King probably knew outright where the Shire was, but he didn't venture to pass the info to Sau. Khamul told him that there were no halflings in the Vales, but still the WK ordered the nazgul to continue the search there for 2 months, not hurrying at all.
A really faithful servant would have either returned to report or passed on the other side of the mountains to look there. But the WK showed no initiative in the matter. And Sauron wanted him to show initiative, to help actively. That's why he was mad at the WK after this (UT).

Also Sauron never believed that ANYONE would wish to destroy the Ring. (that is canon). So he could not suspect the WK of wishing it! He reasoned that the WK would not claim the Ring, therefore he was not suspicious of him and didn't delve too deep into his mind.

that statement is evidence of what Sauron believed.
What is the objective truth? IMHO : They were inacapable of acting against his orders but capable of not acting for his will (of not showing any initiative to help the mission).

The orcs, trolls etc. lost direction and will when Sauron has forgotten about them and turned his attention elsewhere: to the Mountain. It was before the Ring was actually destroyed. Interesting passage that one. It means that to get things going Sau needed his unwavering attention on it. Probably the same was with the nazgul in the Shire, while Sau was looking with the Eye, he was urging them to act, but once distracted by something else (Saruman, Denethor, orcs, Mouth etc.) he loosened his control and the nazgul were up to their tricks.

As regards the WK and armies in the previous post I only tried half-heartedly to muse on the IF question, but still I believe that IF was impossible.

And from your POV, Butterbeer, why didn't the WK get the Ring in the Shire and become a wannabe Ringlord?

so (is confused : it's the buzz word of our times)

no not really:

Gordis if you use the quote in support of your argument you cannot then dissect that quote as being an untrue with ref: the nazgul being incapable of acting against " His Will"

therefore inadmissable m'lord!

We can indeed as you mention see this quote as merely being sauron's perception: but then it can be no more than this in terms of evidence of anything else as you try to use to as it as and therefore this viewpoint also exactly 100% agrees with my own position: Sauron may have thought this and may been over-confident: but ther'es no real or actual evidence that it could not be done.

Maybe the WK himslef reasoned this too: If Sauron thinks it cannot be done then it maybe it can't?

I never have said (in fact have said the reverse) that the WK was actually seeking to become the ring lord: i was curious as to why he might not consider such a move? ( and i think your argument is good regarding his life-force and his ring that sauron controls, but only as good as it's outweighed by the life-force inherrent to the wearer of the One regardless of any lesser ring: therfore no yet convincing)

there's the divergence: from your argument and from the WK's own perception he (WK) would have to be pretty sure he could do it and survive with the power of the One (a big risk to himself) and would wonder why Sauron is so confident in sending him to collect it etc! so its understandable WHY he did not attempt it

From my viewpoint though IF (hypothetically) he had attempted it: what actually was there to stop him? There seems at best no clear 100% water-tight argument definitevly saying he could not have attempted it. What comes out more clearly is sauron's over-confidence.

this then is my second question: if he had and had not been obliterated even If sau did manage to destroy his ring: then would he have been victorious?

You do so seem to be shying away fom this latter question Nazgul!

Best
BB
Old 05-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #88
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Gordis, what I am saying is that I do not believe the WK could take the Ring for his own. I do however believe that if he did then he control it and possibly overthrow Sauron, and he wouldn't die because he had a new supply of life.
*Cowers before eye*
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #89
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Don't cower, TD, nazgul are really the nicest variety of wraithly creatures...
Quote:
this then is my second question: if he had and had not been obliterated even If sau did manage to destroy his ring: then would he have been victorious? You do so seem to be shying away from this latter question Nazgul!
To your latter question my answer is YES!

I will leave the beginning of your post unanswered, sorry, Butterbeer. It seems that the Prancing Pony landlord has more stamina than an average nazgul . My poor 4500-year-old spectral head aches from this discussion already...
Let us move to lighter matters. Welcome to my new thread about horses!

Last edited by Gordis : 05-11-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot smilies
Old 05-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #90
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Don't cower, TD, nazgul are really the nicest variety of wraithly creatures...
To your latter question my answer is YES!

I will leave the beginning of your post unanswered, sorry, Butterbeer. It seems that the Prancing Pony landlord has more stamina than an average nazgul . My poor 4500-year-old spectral head aches from this discussion already...
Let us move to lighter matters. Welcome to my new thread about horses!

well its all the yeast in the beer ... and being used to sitting up late drinking and talking cra..... er, talking!

what's this about horses?

Here's a hypothetical horse question for you ....

*Morgul blade and Monty Python foot simultaneously appear poised above butterbeer's head *

Best
BB
Old 05-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #91
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
well its all the yeast in the beer ...
Really? I should probably turn to beer from my favorite Nurn 2974 vintage...
Old 05-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #92
Maerbenn
Enting

Nazgul

All the Great Rings (= Rings of Power) except the Three were destroyed, according to ‘Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age’ in the published Silmarillion:
Quote:
And so indeed it has since befallen: the One and the Seven and the Nine are destroyed; and the Three have passed away ...
Perhaps the Nine (and the three of the Seven that were left) were destroyed in the fall of Barad-dûr. But it is a moot point; once the One was destroyed all the other Rings lost their powers:
Quote:
Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last.
(Also from ‘Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age’)

A couple of quotes to consider when musing on the ‘palant*r idea’...

From the ‘Akallabêth’ in the published Silmarillion:
Quote:
There [in Mordor, after the Downfall of Númenor] he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dûr, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
(This was long before Sauron gained possession of the Ithil-stone.)

From ‘Myths Transformed’ in Morgoth’s Ring:
Quote:
... Morgoth held the Orcs in dire thraldom; for in their corruption they had lost almost all possibility of resisting the domination of his will. So great indeed did its pressure upon them become ere Angband fell that, if he turned his thought towards them, they were conscious of his ‘eye’ wherever they might be; and when Morgoth was at last removed from Arda the Orcs that survived in the West were scattered, leaderless and almost witless, and were for a long time without control or purpose.
(I doubt Morgoth had a palant*r...)

Quote:
What happened to the WK after he was stabbed by Eowyn? He could not have been killed as only the destruction of the One or his one of the Nine could do that.
Quote:
As far as I remember, Tolkien has written somewhere in the Letters that the WK was “rendered powerless” or something like that, not dead and gone.
Yes; a footnote to Tolkien’s reply to a reader’s comments on Frodo’s failure to surrender the Ring in the Cracks of Doom (Letters no. 246) says that “the Witch-king had been reduced to impotence” in the Battle of the Pelennor. I am no expert in Ring-lore, but this makes me believe that he was ‘physically’ slain in that battle, but he didn’t ‘die’ (his spirit/soul didn’t leave) until the One Ring was destroyed, because he was bound to it via the Ring of Power that he had accepted. If that had been destroyed instead, the ‘link’ would have been broken and his fate probably the same.

Last edited by Maerbenn : 05-19-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #93
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thank you so much, Maerbenn, for your quotes, especially that about Morgoth's Eye. What a pity you were not around when the discussion raged! You should be around more.
I am now convinced that the Eye doesn't need the Palantir to function.

But what about your POV on Butterbeer's IF question? And TD's life-support machine theory?
What do you think: If the Witch-King claims the One ring but Sauron destroys his nazgul ring will the WK die or not?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #94
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hey, you guys, not to interrupt, but - isn't "the Eye of Sauron" just metaphorical, as in "the arm of Sauron has grown long", etcetera? That's how I've always perceived it, anyway. If Sauron is a disembodied Maia, then all of his body parts would be extant in the spiritual sense, anyway, just like his "Nine", and he'd have his whole body, but it would only be visible to those in the spiritual realm. For instance, were Frodo to slip on the ring while in close proximity to "the Eye", he would then see an entire Sauron. I mean, Sauron's obtaining his lost ring was supposed to be his ticket to re-embodiment in the physical realm, right? But what do I know...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #95
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well Maerbenn: very interesting post: i too look forward to your view on the IF question and TD's theories.

Lotesse: good to see you here as well: hey wadda' I know, y'know?

The thing about Tolkien as i believe someone said something similiar somewhere previously on the Moot:

is:

there's always so much to discover and question and debate: his attempts to make a real history and a sustainable Myth of England work so well because we are still here and now enjoying the cut and thrust of debating and pondering this world and the many stories from all angles and with many new approaches: so who's to say but us here assembled in MOOT what we now, met here decide for the people of our time might consider right?

(it's a responsibility for sure! )

welcome both of you.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-17-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #96
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Great, Butterbeer! It is difficult to express it better.
And you are very welcome Lotesse and Maerbenn to join this thread, as a quintet we were turning in circles. So please don't run away! Tell us what you think about IF and the WK!

Last edited by Gordis : 12-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #97
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

You're RIGHT Gordis: we need this new input:

We should be CAREFUL WE DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THEM TOO SOON TO SAVE THE WORLD AND ANSWER THE GREAT QUESTIONS OF OUR TIMES!

*GODDAMN caps lock again!*

Old 05-17-2005, 05:02 PM   #98
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

a few posts back, Butterbeer & gordis were talking about whether or not the Witch King might want to claim the ring on the sly (or at least this is how I interpreted the conversation), and I've got an angle on the topic. Put yourself in the shoes of Mr. W. King. Now - if I were he, I'd certainly have a separate agenda in the matter of finding that much-touted ring. If I were he, I'd try every slick maneuvre in the book to have the opportunity of out-Dark-lording my "boss", but in reality it most likely wouldn't work out the way I'd dreamed of, because only Sauron had the perfect finger for a ring that had been made by, and for, him alone. Everyone else, EVERYONE else would eventually crumble pathetically under the Ring's power, because all the ring ever "wanted" all along was to get back onto the hand of its right and proper owner. So, WK probably COULD have claimed & wielded that pesky old ring for a while, but in the end the ring would have won out and there would be Sauron, lurking in the background, patiently waiting for that moment...
But this is all conjecture on my part, placing myself in WK's hypothetical shoes.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #99
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

obviously the main thrust of this thread is the seeking of enlightenment and of examining various conjecture from as relaible and well-balanced OBJECTIVE POV's as is possible ...

But personally i put Lotesses's points down as a score draw!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #100
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Put yourself in the shoes of Mr. W. King. Now - if I were he, I'd certainly have a separate agenda in the matter of finding that much-touted ring. If I were he, I'd try every slick maneuvre in the book to have the opportunity of out-Dark-lording my "boss", but in reality it most likely wouldn't work out the way I'd dreamed of, because only Sauron had the perfect finger for a ring that had been made by, and for, him alone. Everyone else, EVERYONE else would eventually crumble pathetically under the Ring's power, because all the ring ever "wanted" all along was to get back onto the hand of its right and proper owner. So, WK probably COULD have claimed & wielded that pesky old ring for a while, but in the end the ring would have won out and there would be Sauron, lurking in the background, patiently waiting for that moment...
Thanks, Lotesse.
I believe that Mr. W. King had considered all of the above and being a sly old fox decided against trying to claim the Ring.

And what do you think about the "life support machine"? (If the Witch-King claims the One ring but Sauron destroys his nazgul ring will the WK die or not?)