me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
vampire-dwarves???

*Blink* *Blink*

I think that would be a change for the good on orcs...

I hope
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #83
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
(Nether would an elf!)
Hmm, I dont know about that. They were wise enough to realise the power of the rings of power. After all, the three given to them were imediatly taken off when they realised the evil behind them. Theres no doubt that they would become currupt eventually.. but maybe of had the strength to do what a hobbit did.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #84
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
vampire-dwarves???

No no no. To hew them with axes - duuuh!

Erm...

Galadriel and Elrond kept their rings of power though they knew the One had not been destroyed. I'm not sure what you mean there Twista.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #85
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

I meant that the rings, Nenya, Narya and Vilya were the three not to fall under Saurons power, because they took them off when they knew they were betrayed..

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:55 PM   #86
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

You guys made this a funny thread somehow.

I think a dwarf could have been a more suitable ringbearer, but of course it would have to be the 'perfect' dwarf, just as Frodo was the 'perfect' hobbit, for the job. I think most of our impressions of drwarves are based on Gimli. He'd suck at it because he's too single-minded; whenever he came to a big choice during his journeys his decision was pretty much always "Charge!" He'd get himself killed and lose the Ring if no one else was there to stop him. But a less common dwarf would be great; strong-willed, hardy, ready for action, much more so than a hobbit.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #87
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

We have no proof that a Dwarf would have been better able to resist the corrupting temptation of the ring.

What we do know is that is that elves, dwarfs and men all had rings, all of them wanted rings and their power. Hobbits did not have rings. Why is that I don't know, but it might be significant
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:42 AM   #88
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's a good point Bombadillo. An average hobbit would have sucked as the Ringbearer too. I don't think Gimli would be completely crap at it. I think it's significant that had Aragorn's plans not gone awry, it would have been him, Gimli, and Frodo in Mordor.

You bring up a good point too TWFM - the Dwarves were corrupted by the Seven, it follows that the One could corrupt them too.

But had their been, say Five rings for the Hobbits, maybe they would also have been corrupted.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #89
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

But I wonder if there is dwarfs that is more clearminded than Gimli, if not every dwarf would say "charge" and get themselves killed. But it's a good point. Whatever race they chose, it had to be the best of that race. I'm sure there are, if you search close enough, elves that can be bad choices is the same way too.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #90
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
You bring up a good point too TWFM - the Dwarves were corrupted by the Seven, it follows that the One could corrupt them too.

But had their been, say Five rings for the Hobbits, maybe they would also have been corrupted.
Yes, I agree, but I think that the key point is "why there were not rings for the hobbits?"
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 PM   #91
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider

...zzzzzzzzzz...
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 02-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #92
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

They were a forgotten species. I might be wrong, but I don't think they even interacted with the other species during the second age when Sauron was coming to power. He was probably never aware of them, and if he was it might have seemed useless to take power over a race so isolated and weak. If the latter was the case, then that says something for the dwarves too--Sauron thought them more useful than the hobbits. (Of course, he was known for making mistakes. )
Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #93
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yes, the hobbits barely interact with others 'species.
I think it's rather obvious why Sauron didn't create any rings for the hobbits - the hobbits were considered weak and therefore unimportant. They didn't seem to want to know how to fight either - they didn't have skills. What would you prefer, a dwarf fighting for you or a hobbit?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #94
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
What would you prefer, a dwarf fighting for you or a hobbit?
In most cases, A dwarf would be a better fighter, on average, than a hobbit.

If the question was: Who would you rather cook for you? I think the hobbit would win hands down.

I think it is difficult to say with any significant degree of certainty if a Dwarf would have been better as the Ring bearer.

There is too much information that is unknown. The effects of the one ring on Dwarfs, which Dwarf will be chosen to bear the ring are two items that come immediately to mind.

If a Dwarf was chosen to bear the ring, would the members of the FOTR have been different? If, yes how well would this new group have worked in their mission.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #95
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
In most cases, A dwarf would be a better fighter, on average, than a hobbit.

If the question was: Who would you rather cook for you? I think the hobbit would win hands down.

I think it is difficult to say with any significant degree of certainty if a Dwarf would have been better as the Ring bearer.

There is too much information that is unknown. The effects of the one ring on Dwarfs, which Dwarf will be chosen to bear the ring are two items that come immediately to mind.

If a Dwarf was chosen to bear the ring, would the members of the FOTR have been different? If, yes how well would this new group have worked in their mission.
Dwarfs (with a few exeptions) are also greedy!
They might as well have sent boramear...
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #96
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Imagine this scenario: Frodo has a heart attack in Lothlorien. Celeborn and Galadrial, being the only White Council representatives (I think?!) around, choose Gimli as the Ringbearer. Galadrial pulls Gimli aside and makes him swear on all he considers dear and her that he will faithfully complete the mission.

I don't think anyone could have destroyed the Ring in the end but could Gimli, under such conditions, have made it at least as far as Frodo (to the chasm at Mount Doom)?

Maybe/maybe not but he would have been as solid a choice as anyone.

P.S. I believe Gimli demonstrated on multiple occasions he was neither selfish nor greedy.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #97
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
Well if Frodo wasn't going, Sam, Merry and Pippin wouldn't have gone either. I imagine Elrond would have chosen warriors from his own household.

If Merry hadn't gone, maybe Éowyn wouldn't have been able to slay the Witch-King, and the Battle of Pelennor fields might have taken a nasty turn...
Quote:
Old 03-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #98
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S.
Imagine this scenario: Frodo has a heart attack in Lothlorien. Celeborn and Galadrial, being the only White Council representatives (I think?!) around, choose Gimli as the Ringbearer. Galadrial pulls Gimli aside and makes him swear on all he considers dear and her that he will faithfully complete the mission.

I don't think anyone could have destroyed the Ring in the end but could Gimli, under such conditions, have made it at least as far as Frodo (to the chasm at Mount Doom)?

Maybe/maybe not but he would have been as solid a choice as anyone.

P.S. I believe Gimli demonstrated on multiple occasions he was neither selfish nor greedy.
Yes, but he is one of the exeptions I mentioned...
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #99
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Gimli certainly is an exceptional dwarf! I think it's rather unfair to say Dwarves are greedy though. Just because they like treasure doesn't mean they are all greedy about it. Thats like saying Thranduil is greedy, but I don't think he is either.
Quote:
Old 03-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #100
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Gimli certainly is an exceptional dwarf! I think it's rather unfair to say Dwarves are greedy though. Just because they like treasure doesn't mean they are all greedy about it. Thats like saying Thranduil is greedy, but I don't think he is either.
Perhaps better able to appreciate underground treasures (gold, mithril, rubies, saphires, etc.) than others would be more accurate.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote