Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #81
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Well lets take orcs. Orcs you could say are a branch of elves. They were twisted adn changed. They are just twisted evil branches off of elves. But you would never call an orc an elf. When orcs were first made you might call them elves because they werte just made but now after so many many many years they are different because of time and the slow changes they have. Orcs are a different race of elves the same way hobbits used to be short hairy footed men but now after thoudans of years they are a new species.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #82
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Actually, Haradrim, orks were twisted from Men, and can be considered to be of the race of Men as well.....

It's no good; Tolkien says Hobbits are Men, there's no getting around it. Yer can argue 'til yer frickin' blue, BUT, the fact of the matter is:
  1. Tolkien says they're Men.
  2. Tolkien didn't believe in evolution.

Again: Haradrim, pay attention:

"Abnormally for humans...."

Ergo, hobbits ARE human. Tolkien says as much. Why can't it get through your undersized cranium? There's no blurring of the lines - it's that frickin' simple. Bloody 'ell.

*BoP ducks and covers as the ensuing debate roars over her head*
Old 08-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #83
Haradrim

Im just going to bow out because I will never change and neither will you so I say we shake hands and I will bow out. No hard feelings?
Old 08-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #84
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Believe what you want, I don't care. I'm just going with what Tolkien said. ::shrug::
Old 08-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #85
Haradrim

i know but i interpret it differently thats all.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #86
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Nazgul

You know, Haradim, you would get more respect if you were able to actually quote things that support your ideas instead of just boldly asserting some impossible, unsupportable thesis. If a certain learned Tolkienist of my acquaintance sees this, he would probably say something like, maybe in some other books, but not in the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien. We are not writing fanfic, here, we are trying to understand Tolkien's world better.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #87
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Are the sheltered Gentlemen here unfamiler with trolls or subcategories thereof, such as:
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame78.html
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #88
Haradrim

I actually dont know how to quote and I am truly sorry if people are getting mad at me because that is the complerte opposite of my intent. I dont mean to upset anyone. I am sorry.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #89
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
I actually dont know how to quote and I am truly sorry if people are getting mad at me because that is the complerte opposite of my intent. I dont mean to upset anyone. I am sorry.
That's okay. Poor guy, I'm not mad. jist giving you some hints.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #90
Haradrim

well thanks but how do you quote things?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 AM   #91
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well here's a hint: use the quote button found at the bottom of everyone's posts.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:30 AM   #92
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Scaevola
Are the sheltered Gentlemen here unfamiler with trolls or subcategories thereof, such as:
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame78.html
LOL, guess that makes me a cyber-sister then.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:37 AM   #93
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Just like BoP just did!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:58 AM   #94
Haradrim

Im just stone deaf then. Io dont pay attention and I just go my own way. Oh yeah and I am stubborn too.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:16 AM   #95
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

So, just to tidy things up a bit and return to the original topic - Bill Ferny was a Man - in the tall, shoe-wearing sense of the word!!

I know what you are trying to say, Haradrim. It can get a little confusing, especially in The Lord of the Rings. In this book Tolkien never refers to Hobbits as men, despite the prologue and and other references outside LOTR. When he refers to someone as a Man in LOTR - he means someone with a configuration similar to modern day man and not a Hobbit!!! I am sure he does this to avoid confusion and to distinguish between the various branches of mankind!!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:19 AM   #96
Haradrim

yeah I know. But do origins neccessarily mean same species. Thats my question. I am not disputing and never did that Hobbits were humans. But at what ppoint do you actually call them different species. I would call it now and others here would call it later.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 AM   #97
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Bur for all BoP said I would say now but after relentless pressure I've got to agree with her.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:28 AM   #98
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
yeah I know. But do origins neccessarily mean same species. Thats my question. I am not disputing and never did that Hobbits were humans. But at what ppoint do you actually call them different species. I would call it now and others here would call it later.
Reread the Prologue, "Concerning Hobbits." They apparently originated in the upper Vales of Anduin, during the Second Age. Also, look at the Tale of Years in the Appendix.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #99
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I always thought Bill Ferny was a Man, but now that it's asked, I'm not sure why I thought so. Eärniel gives some good evidence, though.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:42 PM   #100
Haradrim

I know I agree that Hobbits were men along time ago. They were one and the same. Cousins in fact but according to a prophecy if it were to say no man will kill the witchking then I would take it to meaning no human or male will kill the witchking. Also could someone clear up whether it was no man will or no man could cuz I think that is very important. I would but my books have gone missing right after my brother left for college. hmmmmm.....