Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 PM   #81
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think we should keep some things open, only because we just don't know enough.

But if there's a new one, a new character, I think he/she should be kind of a foe, because almost in every book there's the 'annual mean character' like Umbridge or Lockheart.

I beleive there sohlud be a new plan of Voldemort... which we should start to think of right now, and make so hints about it in these chapters. Like in every book.
I also think the idea of mgical creatures is very good. Maybe the Giants? Or Goblins, even.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 PM   #82
azalea
Long lost mooter

I thought I'd try to join, as I'm on OOtP right now (and I already read the end.) I may not do very well, but it looks like fun. Plus, as I am a huge Snape fan, I have an interesting, though unlikely, side-storyline for him in book 7. It probably won't make the cut, but I'll share it with you guys anyway when the time comes. I have a few thoughts about these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
OK......Areas that need "cleaning up" before moving on.

Chapter 1....let's be specific and decide what Dudley worst memory was, exactly what flashed through his mind during his Dementor attack.

Chapter 3......what are Harry's elective classes this year?

Chapter 4.......What does Harry "learn" about his family that he didn't know before, and...... "what has Voldemort been doing?" (Do we want to cut to a revealing scene between Voldemort and his deatheaters, sort of like the scene between V and Pettigrew at the beginning of GoF?) Also, maybe a mention of what magical creatures are siding up with Voldemort for the "war"? This Chapter might be the place to introduce the "half-blood prince" bit, if we want to pursue it.

Chapter 8.......still wondering who is teaching Harry occlemency....do you like my suggestion of a new character from MoM doing this? How should we write this character, friend or foe?

And most important.....Do we want to go with the "Half-blood Prince title, and introduce our speculation on this theme? Possible suggestions I've read for the HbP are Tom Riddle, Hagrid, Colin Creevey, or someone new. Who? Who? (I sound like Hedwig eh?? )

Radagast the Brown has asked me to post the next 5 chapters, but I just posted the last five!! I will if nobody else is up to it.....

Important things to include (IMO) Fawkes role, Neville's parents and the gum wrappers perhaps , other magical creatures, the whole half-blood prince thing and of couse, The Prophecy- Harry and Neville. Speak up fans!!
1. Dudley's worst memory -- maybe the pig-tail?
2. I think the half-blood prince will be a new character, or as someone said, if he has been in previous books, it was only a mention. Every other title has refered to something "new," unmentioned in the previous books (with the exception of Azkaban, but there had been no mention of Sirius).
3. I think Dumbledore will teach him if he is able. I think that the quotes Lizra gave indicate that. Otherwise, someone new is likely.

Since I haven't read the whole book yet (OOtP), I'm not ready to take on the next 5 ch. (gum wrappers mean nothing to me at this point), but I will participate by debating someone else's until I've finished, then I'll take 5.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #83
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

How nice Azalea! I'm a little busy this week, trying to make some art happen.......Hang tight Rad, though my next 5 might not be worth the wait Really Radagast, if you have some ideas, don't be shy!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #84
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm almost finished with OotP, and I have some predictions, but they aren't in any chapter order. Would it be okay to just list them and then they can be included with whatever chapter they seem to fit (if the majority agrees they're possible, that is)? Well, since I'm an admin now, I guess I can just go ahead and do that without waiting for an answer! If it's a problem, I'll adjust it.

I think Crookshanks is an animagus, but I'm not sure of whom (maybe Dumbledore, but Crookshanks seems to be around a lot, and certainly Dumbledore wouldn't have that kind of time. But it makes some sense because he could be watching Harry, and perhaps as an animal, he would be harder for Voldie to detect)
I also think Neville's toad (Trevor) is one, but I'm not sure about that, and I can't think who it would be but his grandmother. I wonder if the vulture on her hat is her late husband? A vulture is an odd decoration for a hat.

I think SPEW will succeed, or at least that at the end the house elves will be free.
I think someone will get vanishing sickness (I don't know why, but it just sounds like an interesting illness that would serve some purpose and make for an interesting sub-plot).

This is less of a prediction than an observation, but it may be highlighted at some point if it was intentional -- I think that Harry's inability to control his anger (to shut off his emotions, IOW) when he's taking occlumency (and in terms of his connection to Voldie) mirrors Ron's inability to ignore the Slytherins when on the Quiddich field. Harry is described as observing Ron's inability to ignore them a couple of times, but when he is told by Snape to shut off his emotions, he is unable to get his anger toward Snape under control in order to succeed at his lessons. These to me are very similar situations (and from another view, it's like The Empire Strikes Back -- "Luke, let go of your hate" ). This may not be the right thread to discuss this, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

Finally, I think that when Harry graduates, he'll get the Defense Against the Dark Arts job. I don't know if Dumbledore will die or not, but I think it would make for some interesting future sequels (assuming JKR decides to extend the Harry Potter franchise into further adventures at Hogwarts), and would allow Harry's relationship with the teachers to continue, etc.

So what do you think?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:27 AM   #85
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think that's very interesting Azalea, especially all the animal bits. Is the vulture alive?(on the hat?) I always imagined it as a stuffed decoration...what a muggle I am! I have been much too busy to do anything with predictions (sorry Rad) so the game is open. I'm trying to think of Voldemorts plan/approach this time out...but it could be anything (well, the hand or whatever that thing was from Knockturn alley and giants keep sticking in my mind).
Old 07-31-2004, 09:47 PM   #86
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I'm back

Hey guys! I havn't gotten all caught up on the posts yet and I'm still getting use to the new entmoot so bear with me. I dont' have time to do anyhitng now I jsut wanted to say that I'm glad you guys didn't let my little progect die and I'm also glad more people joined. But I have ot go now so have fun and keep predicting till I can get back!
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:11 PM   #87
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't think crookshanks is an animagus. It mentions on jkr's site what species he is tho, but I can't remember what it is.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:55 PM   #88
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Someone said he's half kneazle. Here's the *kneazle news* from "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".

"Kneazle....The Kneazle was originally bred in Briton, though it is now exported worldwide. A small catlike creature with flecked, speckled, or spotted fur, outsized ears, and a tail like a lion's, the Kneazle is intelligent, independent, and occasionally aggressive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The Kneazle has an uncanny ability to detect unsavoury or suspicious characters and can be relied upon to guide it's owner safely home if they are lost. Kneazles have up to 8 kittens in a litter an can interbreed with cats. Licences are required for ownership as Kneazles are sufficienttly unusual in appearance to attract muggle interest."
Old 08-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #89
azalea
Long lost mooter

Aw, see that's cheezy! I can't stand all this info that can't be gleaned from the books! Authors need to put it in the published work or else it should be fair game for speculation!

No, the vulture is stuffed, but I just had the wild thought that it could have been her husband (if he were an animagus), and then she had him stuffed in that form and put him on her hat so he'd be with her always! Okay, that is far-fetched, but it's still a funny thought!

Another prediction I had -- it will be revealed that Peeves' presence at Hogwarts is integral to the magical protections the school has.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:33 PM   #90
azalea
Long lost mooter

Sorry about the double post:
I just finished reading OotP (finally), and after reading The Dept. of Mysteries, I completely see why Neville was put in Gryffindor.
My prediction is that Neville's problem was the wand -- he states it was his father's, and then he can't use Hermione's (although it may have been because his pronunciation was poor due to the broken nose). Maybe it's because Neville's true wand hasn't chosen him yet that he has difficulty with spells, etc. Again, another wild prediction. This is fun! Sorry I'm just throwing them out instead of putting them in chapter order. I'll do it at some point when I have time.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #91
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That's cool! (the wand being Neville's problem) I'd like to see Neville use Harry's wand, since it's the twin to Tom Riddle's, and Neville could have been the one the prophecy was about (before the marking) Everybody is setting Neville up to be such a hero, I wonder what the nitty gritty distinctions actually are between he and Harry. Harry is by far the better wizard at this time, but we all feel that Neville is going to pull a few seriously major rabbits out of his hat, before the war is over.

Maybe I should have Neville have to use Harry's wand during Snape's dueling club....and have him be wildly successful, totally freaking Professor Snape out!
Old 08-03-2004, 07:00 AM   #92
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I don't think so... because, first, Neville is not the chosen to kill Voldemort(/be killed by Voldemort), and second, Harry's wand chose Harry, not Neville... so there's no reason Neville would be especially good with it.

I don't think Neville's problem is with the wand, too. I could be wrong - but I tihnk it's not, because it seems like many wizards didn't choose their wands and were better than Neville - Ron, Malfoy. Ron didn't get really better after the second year when he got his new wand. He was better than second year, yes, but that's because his wand was browkn at the time.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #93
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I'm sorry I left, I went on vacation and I had no computer acess. I'll have the predictions in a week. I know I said that before, but I will do it this time!

I think that the wand and Neville is a good idea. Maybe they just really don't fit each other. It's like two people who are complete enemys I guess. Maybe Ron's first wand, for example, were like two people who got along, but wereen't perfect for each other. I don't know.

Quote:
I think someone will get vanishing sickness (I don't know why, but it just sounds like an interesting illness that would serve some purpose and make for an interesting sub-plot).
Hmmm... I like that idea! Maybe not even a subplot!

~Siri~

Are we just going to outline the book, or actually write it? On another site I'm in, an RPG one, a lot of the members are making a joint effort to actually write a novel-length fic about the characters. It's just in the planning stages now, though. It's a Harry Potter one- www.hogwartsforall.com. Join and say I referrenced you!
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:57 PM   #94
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

If we like it, (our outline) we could pick chapter/s we each wanted to flesh out and see how things went from there.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #95
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

You mean with the actual writing of the book? That would work. Then we'd email it to each other since I guess it would be to long to put on here, and work it out between everyone participating.

~Sir~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #96
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I was thinking we could write chapters individually, that we fancied, and post them here. They wouldn't be "that" long! We wouldn't get all the chapters, just the *fun* ones that we felt like doing. Maybe enough chapters would gradually happen to flesh out an actual book, maybe not....the important thing would be that we have fun...eh??
Old 08-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #97
Fimbrethil

I don't think that would be the best of ideas until we've got all the chapters fixed to where everyone agrees on them. Then if oyu want to you can. But only person to a chapter and you'll have to post the chapters you want. And it's first come first serve so when we get to that read the posts before you write a chapter.
Still not all caught up but I'm getting there. It seems like all the discusion latly has been on previous chapters and who is teaching what I think if we all can't agree on something in the next couple of posts then we should leave the chapter vague for now work on the rest and come back when we're done wiht the rest.
PS. We still have like...25 chapters to go. I'll catch up then be of more help.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #98
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I agree...the outline comes first! Then, when that's finished and agreed upon, if you want to do a chapter, speak up quick!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #99
Fimbrethil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I agree with Lizra. There's no point to continue DA. When I look at it... the Dueling Club could be something organized by Snape, that everyone should participate in, to pracice what they've learned in Defence against dark arts class. It's sounds good and real to me,.
Siri! Don't bow to that logic! I have some other points to be made. Ok I've only read various post here and there but as far as in order goes...the above quote is as far as I've read.
First of all...I agree on Snape doing DADA, when you think about it who else is left? Unless a new character is introduced(and I'm not sure JKR would do that this close to the end of her books) I'm sure new ones will be introduced but if they are truly nessacary to the plot they will introduced in the begining of this book if at all. Second....I agree on Snape creating a dueling club...what better way to terrorize Gryfindors(sp?)? Third....I disagree with the idea of Harry simply disbaning the DA. First of all they have all been through to much together to just quite like that. Second Sirius htought it was a good idea, "Something he and James would of done in Harry's postion." Or somethign along those lines and Harry isn't likly to soon forget that. Thirdly Harry and company would, if for no other reason, do it out of spite. They all hate Snape. When they find out he, who they hate and have mistrusted for so long, is souly in charge of teaching them defense against the dark arts do you think they would just say..."oh ok, cool"?
Lizra I read the post you made a little before that and I know you want to make this book interesting and fun and not streotypical but you've got to remember we aren't writing a book, it's not yours to write. We are simply making paraphrased geusses as to what may or may not happen in it.
I'm sticking to what I said before, if we cannot agree on somthing and if we cannot find evidence in the books or other autherized text then teh thing beign discussed will be left vague. I stress autherized becasue the unautherized stuff is just crap to me. I don't put any truth to it and aviod it at all costs. (Yeah..so this is unauthorized...we're not gonna publish it. So it doesn't matter.)

Old 08-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #100
Fimbrethil

All caught up now...some things are really out there...but then I suppose most things in these books have been. First off...all the things Lizra said should be fixed I think we should leave vague. None of us could agree on any of that...there are to many people with to much speculation for that sort of thing I think. But we could try. Nwo who's turn is it for the next chapters? We need ot get this show on the road.