Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think loves Tolkien the best?
(withdrawn) 0 0%
Finrod Felagund 2 6.45%
hectorberlioz 10 32.26%
Jonathan 7 22.58%
(withdrawn) 0 0%
Sister Golden Hair 9 29.03%
None of them, Tessar is the best 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2004, 12:18 AM   #81
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
How do you feel that Tolkien's ‘Lord of the Rings’ has effected your life?

Not only LotR, but The Hobbit and The Silmarillion too, have strengthened the friendship between me and my other Tolkien-loving friends. It has been fantastic to be able to discuss Tolkien’s world with my friends, to argue with them about the Balrog’s wings and the two Glorfindels.
With the new LotR movies, our friendship has grown even stronger as we arrange movie nights to watch the extended versions of the films. I’m looking forward to our “super LotR day” when we will be watching the extended versions of all three films on the same day.

If you could meet Mr. Tolkien in real life, what would you say and do?

I would buy him a drink and thank him for the wonderful world he has created. If possible, I would like to sit down and chat with him about the various languages he has invented and discuss their grammar and vocabulary, and ask him about things like where the Orcs actually come from, if the ears of the Elves are pointy or not, and who Tom Bombadil really is. I want to get a picture of the real world of Tolkien and get rid of all the myths and flaws.

How many of Tolkien’s books have you read? Please give the titles.

The Hobbit was my first book, which I read in school. After that I had gotten really interested in Tolkien and got myself a copy of The Silmarillion. Immediately after I had finished The Silmarillion,
I started reading LotR.
I also have a book which contains the LotR appendix and some other Tolkien things. This summer I will start reading the HoME series.

If some one were crossing the street with a book titled 'Bored of the Rings', what would be your reaction? Would you:
A: Smile and wave.
B: Smile, wave, and seethe inwardly.
C: Frown
D: Frown and seethe inwardly
E: Run across the street, and beat the hell out of them.
F: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with their book.
G: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with your Limited Edition version of Tolkien's 'The Silmarilion' for only $4.99 that you got at Walden Books and have read at least a few hundred times and always carry with you because you try to live your life based on the rules within it.
H: Other. If so, please explain what 'other' is.

I haven’t read Bored of the Rings, but I would just smile. I don’t see anything wrong in making a parody of LotR. In fact, I think a parody could be very entertaining

Lets say you've just gotten home from work, and it's been a hard day. Your boss threw up all over your report, your dog was lying dead across the little 'welcome' rug when you got home, and your radio is broken and is playing rap music non-stop. The only release from your torture is the little 'Sting' replica hanging on your wall. What would you do?

If all my attempts to wipe off the boss’s vomit, revive the dog and fix the radio – I guess I’d burn my report, bury the dog and smash the radio with my Sting replica. But only after I have gotten tired of the rap music

How do you feel about the new editions of Lord of the Rings coming out with sad little pictures from the movies plastered all over the cover?

I have seen worse covers. Anyway it is the inside which counts.

I sense much perfectionism in you, not to mention argumentativeness! You seem to argue about the small things (balrog wings? pointy ears?) and forget the big things (Like, Why did Strider Cross the Street? To get to the elfstone on the other side!).
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 06:06 AM   #82
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
I sense much perfectionism in you, not to mention argumentativeness! You seem to argue about the small things (balrog wings? pointy ears?) and forget the big things (Like, Why did Strider Cross the Street? To get to the elfstone on the other side!).
Yes, I've been called a perfectionist by many
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #83
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

here Lalaith_Elf....

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #84
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Thanks - but I forgot I'd already voted... sorry
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote