Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #81
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

This is an empty, tedious post.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-15-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 AM   #82
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Also, I strongly doubt that Salazar Slytherin is a half-blood, given his apparent attitude.
Voldemort is a half blood himself, with a Muggle parent, yet he seems to be strong on the pure-blood philosophy. Adolf Hitler was similar. By some of his more extreme laws against people of Jewish heritage, he should have gone to the concentration camp himself!

However, I agree with you that Salazar is an unlikely choice. I think it might be a tad boring having him the half-blood prince . . . that's my reason .

I like the British Children's cover best too. It's very cool .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #83
inked
Elf Lord

Here is a link to JKR's site in regard to blood relations and their unintended similarity to the actual Nazi usage:

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/faq_view.cfm?id=58

Art imitating life, but so as to prevent recurrence!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #84
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Voldemort is a half blood himself, with a Muggle parent, yet he seems to be strong on the pure-blood philosophy. Adolf Hitler was similar. By some of his more extreme laws against people of Jewish heritage, he should have gone to the concentration camp himself!
This occured to me later. Heh. I like your reason better anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
However, I agree with you that Salazar is an unlikely choice. I think it might be a tad boring having him the half-blood prince . . . that's my reason .

I like the British Children's cover best too. It's very cool .
JK Rowling. Un-boring.

EDIT: I also think it won't be someone who's long dead. We have many good possibilities from the living characters.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-15-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #85
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
I think that Lupin will die and Harry will feel like there's nothing left to live for.
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #86
inked
Elf Lord

Here's another idea for the HBP. What do you think of this idea?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #87
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Here's another idea for the HBP. What do you think of this idea?
huh?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #88
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Can't say I see your that idea of yours inked...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #89
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider8
I think that Lupin will die and Harry will feel like there's nothing left to live for.
That's just too depressing...

What was your idea Inked?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #90
inked
Elf Lord

Apparently one does have neuronal dislocations at the approach of the 50th anniversary of one's being pushed out into the cold, cruel world!

the link to have been posted was:

http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/hom...f_blood_prince

Take heart, ya'll, it's probably just half-heimer's instead of al-tzheimers's !
Old 04-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #91
Thraxon
Hobbit

how about they kill off the entire ****ing cast there books suck and jk rowling coppies so much off lotr eg the dimentors are clearly a take off of the nazguel
Thraxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #92
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxon
how about they kill off the entire ****ing cast there books suck and jk rowling coppies so much off lotr eg the dimentors are clearly a take off of the nazguel
Not really, I don't think... and it really doesn't matter. (how hard can it be to think of dark creatures in black hoods that make people fear? )

There's a whole thread about it, anyway. (just search)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #93
Small No-name
Hobbit

I really dislike harry potter
Small No-name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #94
Thraxon
Hobbit

point taken but uh radigast what is your pic is that a pear with a face on it?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #95
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
point taken but uh radigast what is your pic is that a pear with a face on it?
Actually - a pomelo. Isn't it the best?

Anyway.. these kind of comversations usually go to private messages, or the 'Teacup Cafe' thread.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #96
Thraxon
Hobbit

lookes like a pear to me
Old 04-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #97
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, Tolekeen would feel ripped off if he was still alive!

I'm just joking with ya. But anyway, it's fair enough to not like the books. But they aren't really all that close to LotR. Let's review:

Common points:
1. Protaganist is fated to destroy Dark Lord
2. There are undead beings in service of said Dark Lord
3. There is magic
4. Protaganist has best friends
5. Protaganist's parents died tragically when he was fairly young
6. Authoritative wizard figure

Differences between common points:
1. The nature of fate, and the nature of our two protagonists. I don't think I need to say much about the differences between a 50-year-old Hobbit of Middle-earth and an 11-year-old wizard boy.
2. The Nazgul were once Men and subverted with Rings of Power, while the Dementors, as far as we can tell, are naturally evil beings and allied to Voldemort because he would let them steal people's souls. The Nazgul, of course, do not steal people's souls.
3. The nature of magic
4. Sam, Merry, and Pippin are very different people than Ron and Hermione.
5. Drogo and Primula Baggins drowned by accident while Voldemort murdered Harry's parents. Despite this, Frodo had a very happy childhood with his kind uncle. Harry had a miserable childhood with his mean aunt and her family.
6. Gandalf and Dumbledore have authority for different reasons. Gandalf led the Fellowship because he was a wise and powerful Maia. It's worth noting he's one of five wizards in all of Middle-earth. Dumbledore has authority because he's a very powerful wizard, and the only one who can defeat Voldemort; he's also the school headmaster. Aragorn and Gandalf were both Sauron's enemy in different ways.

Complete differences between the books:

The plot
The Harry Potter series follows our hero through his years at a wizard boarding school while he narrowly avoids getting killed by the Dark Lord by sheer luck, handy plot devices, the help of loyal friends, or getting bailed out by Dumbledore.
Lord of the Rings follows Frodo Baggins's adventures after he inherits a Ring that turns you invisible that turns out to be the evil Ring of power belonging to Sauron. The only way to destroy him is to destroy the Ring.

The setting
Harry Potter is set in Britain in the 1990s in a school for young witches and wizards.

LotR is set in Middle-earth, an alternate history for Earth. Specific date not specified, but highly debated.

I'm glad you're posting in this forum because you're the first person in here to not like Harry Potter. I'm sure you'll add an interesting perspective.

There certainly are similarities between the two books, but I don't think enough to call Harry Potter a rip-off. I'm interested to hear your reasons why you think so.

EDIT: I see Small No-name is also not a fan. Any particular reason that Thraxon hasn't articulated?
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-22-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #98
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I reserved my copy yesterday at Barnes and Nobles! I know it might be a little early, but last time the store ran out and I had to wait for 2 WEEKS to get it.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #99
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
There's a thread here with a link wher someone wrote why HP was better than LotR. I think Pytt started the thread and Elemmire found the site. You should check it out.

EDIT: The site is here.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 04-23-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #100
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

IMO, they are two different genres with similarities I don't care to debate. I enjoy each one as a distinct tale and effort and find I enjoy reading much more. After all "compare and contrast" went out in middle school.