Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2000, 02:31 AM   #81
anduin

Re: Tired of this

Man, you are the most argumentative person (besides myself) that I have ever seen!

Old 09-29-2000, 04:13 AM   #82
Johnny Lurker

I return what I'm dealt.

That's what it's all about.

Old 09-29-2000, 12:38 PM   #83
Eruve

Re: I return what I'm dealt.

*French teacher mode*
Actually, JL, Shan had it right. It is "Ça me fâche"!
It's probabpy not a good idea to argue with a native speaker, since they're aware of nuances that don't get taught in French class. Sheesh, an I though I was agrumentative. I think you just like to debate, for the debate's sake...

Old 09-29-2000, 01:27 PM   #84
juntel

"an I though"

Well, that should be " and I thought"...

nya-nya-nyanya-nya...

Hey! It's easier than I thought to be a like a juvenile chip-on-the-shoulder asocial pseudo-argumentative pain in the arse!

But don't worry, I won't become like that...

Old 09-29-2000, 03:05 PM   #85
Saruman Brokenwhite

Not to nitpick, but Christians should not return what they are dealt (like I should talk!). We should turn the other cheek.

EDIT:
OH GOODNESS! Look at which persona I signed in as! This is all Eruve's & juntel's fault!

Well, as long as I'm in this character....

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!!

Old 09-29-2000, 04:25 PM   #86
Johnny Lurker

Eruve, Eruve, Eruve.

Check your facts.

Were I to say that "that angers me", or "ça me fâche", it could be referring to the fact that I was taught a new word. It can refer to multiple previous subjects, whereas "it angers me" or "Il me fâche" refers to the direct subject only.

It's as if I said,

"There's this new guy in my class. He's got a really cool car."
"I like it."

versus

"There's this new guy in my class. He's got a really cool car."
"I like that."

"I think you just like to debate"

No, I do not enjoy this.
However, I prefer doing this to being treated as if I were in the wrong.

While we're on the subject...

"probabpy" "agrumentative"

Don't go there.

Old 09-29-2000, 04:32 PM   #87
Johnny Lurker

"Not to nitpick, but Christians should not return what they are dealt (like I should talk!). We should turn the other cheek."

When slapped, spat upon, stolen from, beaten up, treated unjustly, etc., etc... yeah.
When engaging in a debate, no. It's not revenge that I speak of, it's mimicry.

"KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!!"

"Kill 'em all. Let the paramedics sort 'em out."
-Alvin Mack, The Program (unarguably the greatest football movie ever made)

Old 09-29-2000, 10:22 PM   #88
Eruve

You check your facts, thank you

This is what you get for nitpicking...
Sorry, but I don't need to check my facts. The case you cite is not as cut and dried as you'd like it to be. I know you're making the distinction that you likely learned in French class between "c'est" and "il est", but that doesn't apply here. I'm sorry but, no native French speaker would say "Il me fache" to mean "It makes me angry". "Il me fache", as it stands here, by itself, can only mean "he makes me angry" and nothing else. There's often no easy way to translate "it" into French, since the concept of "it" does not exist in the same way it does in English. (BTW I know I'm leaving the accents out; it's not necessary to point that out to me.) Translation is not a question of putting in equivilant words in one for another, it's about rendering entire concepts. Otherwise we could put everything through Babelfish and it would make sense. We now return you to your regularly scheduled religion debate.

Are we having fun yet?

Don't worry, juntel, I didn't mistake the intent of your post...

Old 09-29-2000, 11:17 PM   #89
Hobbit Hood

Being Spat Upon

I've actually been spat upon!

Honest to goodness!

(Well, it was a drive-by spitting, actually.)

It was about 6 years or so ago this Sunday, a LIFE-CHAIN demonstration on Airport Boulevard. About 8,000 had turned out, holding our signs for miles down both sides of the road. Out of 8,000 I'm one of the ones who get spat upon! :/

Well, I guess that's what I signed up for...

Anyway, turning the other cheek is not always easy, but learning to do so on the small things helps me with the larger ones.

Besides, sometimes (rarely!) I am actually the one who is wrong! (I know no one here believes that...)

I think that in some ways, these message threads are small things. They seem to get larger the more time we spend in them! (I need to plant a garden or do something away from the computer and the job...)

It's just a part of learning meekness. Moses was a meek man, it is written, and so was Jesus.

Of course, the meek do tend to inherit the earth in very small plots indeed, but their inheritance in heaven is all the greater.

Old 09-30-2000, 01:33 AM   #90
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Being Spat Upon

You make me laugh JL it's incredible!... you think you can take an english/french dictionnary and translate everything word for word and be right??? Don't quit dreaming boy! And you argue with ME on my own language??? You got guts... (Or are you just fool?...humm knowing you, you must be just plain fool )

If I tell you "It makes me angry" Translate in "Ça me fâche" take my word for it. I seem to have a better understanding of english that you may have of french. (By the way, I'm currently learning a third language: espagnol/spanish)

I would have given you more appropriate translations, but I didn't want to swear...

Another thing: you think you can translate word for word and get away with it?

Translate this: "It's raining cats and dogs."

* Thinking spaces
* Want the answer?
* Ok here it is:

"Il pleut des chats et des chiens."??? Nice try but it should more likely read "Il pleut Ã* sciaux"

Last time: Don't try to teach my language man. I've been learning it for 21 years now. I think I know it better than you by now.

Old 09-30-2000, 04:31 AM   #91
Johnny Lurker

*shakes his head*

It's all about the subject of the sentence.

To add to the list begun by your use of hyperbole, your rhetorical questions are quite irritating as well.

And your (incorrect) assumption that I made use of an English-French dictionary falls under the same category.

However, you did manage to get one thing correct in that post...

"I think I know it better than you by now."

You have an understanding of the figures of speech and slang that I don't have.
Congratulations.

Old 09-30-2000, 05:57 AM   #92
anduin

This is all very imformative, but could we please return to the subject of the thread.

Thank you.

I have a question, where did your faith come from? Did you seek it out yourselves, or was it something "passed" down to you from your parents? In other words, who here has different beliefs than their parents and where did you derive these beliefs from?

Old 09-30-2000, 07:06 AM   #93
Johnny Lurker

My parents...

... helped me get started along the path of understanding.

They understood that they couldn't drag me down it.

Old 09-30-2000, 01:21 PM   #94
Darth Tater

Re: My parents...

JL, a warning

Entmoot has a very diverse group of posters. We have many different views and we should all respect one anothers faiths. This is a dangerious topic in the first place, and since we are discussing religion I think one should keep in mind flaming isn't just against the rules, it's WRONG.

We are currently considering banning the use of foreign languages. I'm not saying that's gonna happen, but there have been some thing the admins have not been able to read that apparently are insults. If you can stay nice we'll let things remain the way they are.

If this thread continues down the road of flamming, I will close it. I don't want to do this, as I think it is an important conversation and if I had the time I would definately be involved in it. Please, state your views, but do not flame others for theirs. Let people have their opinions, and do not say these are idiotic. Entmoot is a civil place, and will remain that way.

Old 09-30-2000, 06:50 PM   #95
Johnny Lurker

I cited my source.

It's there in black-and-white. Hebrews 9:27. Incidentally, arynetrek was not talking about her views, but about mine.

(Geez, I must not have done a very good job of translating that Monty Python gag. Hmmmm...)

Old 10-01-2000, 01:52 PM   #96
Master Caractacus

Re: I cited my source.

HOUSEKEEPING

I don't think that it's necessay to ban foreign languages, as long as a reasonable translation is available by AltaVista, for example.

[GOLDEN RULE APPLICATION: I would not want English banned on a French board if I were participating and needed/wanted to communicate in my native tongue with the other few who shared my language.]

[TOLKIEN APPLICATION: I just can't see that language should be a problem on a board dedicated to the works of a philologist. Not exactly in the Middle-earth spirit of things!]

There are plenty of French readers who can alert the mods to problems there. I don't see any other language at issue at present.

In accordance with my "least government" philosophy, I propose that the French speakers be on an honor system for one another, and simply report problems. Failing that, I would propose that a French language moderator be found who would undertake to edit any inappropriate French.

If other troubles arise, then other action might be taken if deemed appropriate.

If I were French-speaking, I would think it unfair for the board to go English Only. But I would also, like the Elves, use the Common Tongue as much as I could.

P.S.
And I'm signing these new personas....GILTHALION

================================================== =========
anduin, I think we all inherit a lot from our parents. There are certainly a lot of nominal Christians who are called such because that's the family they were raised in. But there is more to our Faith than documents, doctrine, and dogma. There is an experience with/of God that seals the deal, so to speak.

That scripture is explicit JL, and succinctly states the Christian position on Reincarnation. But I think that there are phenomenon that happen to us all, nonetheless, that merit investigation.

The subject of reincarnation set off a train of association that led me to think of deja vous. (Another of those pesky French language usages!)

I naturally have my own thoughts from my own perspective, but I'd like to see what all of you think about the subject.

Old 10-01-2000, 07:17 PM   #97
Johnny Lurker

Exploration/investigation, yes...

Synergy, however, is simply impossible.

Old 10-01-2000, 08:55 PM   #98
Darth Tater

Re: Exploration/investigation, yes...

Anduin, i'll discuss the family thing with you over AIM, bit personal guys, sorry.

Old 10-01-2000, 09:26 PM   #99
Johnny Lurker

Don't worry, we dig.

(At least, I do... similar thing happened in the "Women" thread to me.)

Old 10-02-2000, 12:44 AM   #100
anduin

At least.....humph!

JL, if you read my post in that thread, you would know that I "dig" too.