Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #81
katya
Elven Maiden

I always looked older than I was when I was the age where I wanted to look older. But now when I'm at the age where it's better to look young, I look younger. I guess I went through puberty early but I haven't changed a whole lot since senior year of high school. So maybe I'm a little bit biased, but I find it strange for a woman over 21 or so not to want to look younger (or at least be pleased to find that they do). Although, I'll admit, it is a little bit bitter-sweet because I know in the back of my head that I'm not a high schooler anymore and will never be again, and also that I won't look like one for much longer. So it's just a tease.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #82
Mari
Elf Lady

I don't ever want to go back to being 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 or even 23. I'm perfectly happy moving forward.
I've been waiting for so long to be able to start doing the things I want to do when I want to do them. Hopefully next September I'll finally be there. Maybe then I'll find an age when I don't want to go forward anymore, but even then I don't think so.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #83
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yeah, I hated being a teenager when I was one... and frankly being a kid wasn't very fun either. You never got to do anything you wanted to do when you wanted to do it, if you wanted something you had to beg for it and hope you'd get it, and if you didn't want to go somewhere... well tough luck.

Being older is -way- better.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #84
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't know, I had a pretty great childhood and teenager-hood. But I wouldn't go back to being as dumb as I was because I think I'm a lot happier now. But really, I didn't have problems with drama or lack of freedom or anything really, and I didn't have to worry about work and bills and stuff (I'd take school any day). I think though, that being in my 20's is pretty darn cool, and 30's are probably going to be alright too. I think it's mostly that I don't want to lose my looks. In other words I am very vain. I'm working on it though.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #85
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Yeah, I hated being a teenager when I was one... and frankly being a kid wasn't very fun either. You never got to do anything you wanted to do when you wanted to do it, if you wanted something you had to beg for it and hope you'd get it, and if you didn't want to go somewhere... well tough luck.

Being older is -way- better.
*sticks out tongue*

Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #86
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I think it's mostly that I don't want to lose my looks. In other words I am very vain. I'm working on it though.
On an elixir of eternal youth? If you find something, let me know!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #87
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OH MY GOD, YOU GUUUUUUUYS!!!! O_o

Someone introduced me to an application for the iPod touch tonight, and it's called iReal Book... it's like an electronic version of the "Real Books" (basically it's a music book, but instead of typical notation they just have the symbols used for chords, so that you can make up your own accompaniment). BUT this thing also plays a bass line, drums, and the chords for you! And it lets you put in your own stuff or make changes to the existing stuff, and change the style/tempo/key with just the touch of a button.

This is SO freaking exciting!!! I can practice my jazz piano skills by myself now, or sing the stuff I want to sing in the key I want to sing it. This is AWESOME!!!!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #88
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
On an elixir of eternal youth? If you find something, let me know!
Well if my senseis are any indication, then I think it's karate. Some of them started when they were already rather old, but I don't think they've aged a day since then.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #89
Mari
Elf Lady

I just came back from a drive with my dad... me being the one doing the driving!

And I went to a classical concert yesterday which was so, so cool! We all sang Land of Hope and Glory together waving the British flag... i.e. our programme. Don't ask me why the British flag, because I don't know either.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #90
katya
Elven Maiden

It's the weekend! And a long weekend! and Halloween weekend! Last night I had a going away party I went to, tonight is movie night, tomorrow there are at least 3 parties I'll have to make an appearance at. Not sure what I'm doing Halloween night yet though. Also haven't decided for sure on my costume.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #91
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
And I went to a classical concert yesterday which was so, so cool!
Night of the Proms perhaps? Or are those held on a different period in Holland than here?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #92
Mari
Elf Lady

Classical Proms 2010. Same concept, but the music is really still more classical. There are some interpretations and Jan Vayne played some really smooth transitions between all pieces, some of them rather funny.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #93
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
We all sang Land of Hope and Glory together waving the British flag... i.e. our programme. Don't ask me why the British flag, because I don't know either.
Presumably because that Land is Britain

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #94
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Night of the Proms perhaps? Or are those held on a different period in Holland than here?
You have those in Holland and Belgium? Some years I've watched the Last Night of the Proms from Royal Albert Hall on tv. It would be fun to experience such a prom in person sometime.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #95
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Classical Proms 2010. Same concept, but the music is really still more classical. There are some interpretations and Jan Vayne played some really smooth transitions between all pieces, some of them rather funny.
Oh cool, I sometimes think they're putting the pop and rock a bit too much before classical in the ordinary Proms. So many pretty classical pieces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
You have those in Holland and Belgium? Some years I've watched the Last Night of the Proms from Royal Albert Hall on tv. It would be fun to experience such a prom in person sometime.
Not quite the same as those of in Brittain. (I adore Last Night of the Proms!) The Night of the Proms here in Belgium, the Netherlands or Germany is a series of concerts with a mix of classical, pop, rock and film music. There's a full orchestra, a choir and an electrical band. Each years there are also a different team of international artists, one classically trained solo musician and usually one local artist as well. Each concert usually ends with a communal Land of Hope and Glory. I kind of think they ought to replace it by now with something more locally inspired, something that everybody can still sing together. I'm a bit jealous of Brittain that they've got such nice national songs that everybody knows and can sing but it seems a bit silly for us here to sing Land of Hope and Glory...
Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #96
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Wow, I'm jealous. I wish we could had that in Scandinavia as well. I'm very fond of Last Night of the Proms myself.

*Rule Britannia!*
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #97
Mari
Elf Lady

I don't mind singing Hope and Glory, but nowhere in the song is the UK mentioned as THE country, so why wave a British flag while you are in Dutchland singing it?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #98
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i got myself a new quad-core processor, a new motherboard, new ram and a new case this weekend.. so basically, a new computer. i still have my old hard drives and monitors, but i'll change those with time..
now my photography work flow is so much faster! and i'm learning so much all the time; building your own computer does that. fortunately, i had the help of the super-geek i married.. otherwise, it would've taken more time than it took. :P

i also moved from windows to linux on my laptop, so now i have kubuntu on my desktop and ubuntu on my laptop, and everything is so much better! i could sit and customise everything forever.. we finally have a windows-free house. *dances*

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #99
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*flys out of the blue to land on Nerdy and pepper her with questions*

Woot! What Processor? Intel or AMD? What are ya running on the desktop, app wise?

*Helps you up and pats you on the back* Welcome to the family! Linux for the wins. What version? 10.04? It rocks, but stay the hell away from 9.10.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #100
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
*flys out of the blue to land on Nerdy and pepper her with questions*

Woot! What Processor? Intel or AMD? What are ya running on the desktop, app wise?

*Helps you up and pats you on the back* Welcome to the family! Linux for the wins. What version? 10.04? It rocks, but stay the hell away from 9.10.
*grin* good to see someone being excited about this, except me.

it's an amd processor (phenom II x4 955 be), and i'm running kubuntu 10.10 (on my desktop; ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop). i also got 4 gb of ram, so everything runs smoothly.. even bibble5. :P

thanks for the pat on the back!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote