Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:34 AM   #961
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

wotcha TD, welcome back ....

just to be clear it is clearly Canon Tolkien that not ALL eagles were good or noble like Gwaihir and the eagles of the North ... as to mind reading ...well thats what my post was about: explaining things about the guilds and the eagles' (so far) very limited and in no way controversial part thus far...

Earniel
Quote:
but I now clearly see that I was on the wrong track with trying to adhere to canon overmuch. Silly me for trying that in an AU-game.

So don't mind me any more. Do carry on.
I'm sorry but that really does sound incredibly sarcy, anyway ... you do not need to be a mind reader since you asked the question and i at length posted here in the discussion thread the reasons as i saw them that so far at least there was no problem.

Also regarding eagles, unless you wish to argue it is 100% Canon tolkien that ALL eagles ALL the time are "lawful" or "good" etc ... then it is clearly not an isuue as it is canon that not all eagles were ....

Above you complain you are not a mind reader, YET this is this after my long post explaining my thoughts for you, what more do you want?

1. it is not canon that ALL eagles are noble or good
2. the eagles have done nothing out of character anyway IF they are lawful??? they do not know of nazgul and the wolves they are honour bound to help as guild members

So, yes i do think we try to adhere to canon as much as we can .... and we do mind you, very much, else why would i bother replying?

as for Au that was a throw-away after thought in that post ... though still true: we do of course make alterations: the point is just how we get the balance right .... and you had a fair point seeking clarification on the eagles ... hopefully i have explained how my writing of them does not yet at least in anyway shake that balance ... and that i am aware of the need to keep the balance as best we can ...

at least now you all will be clear thus far what the eagles are doing there and not therefore form many varied individual differing concepts of them ....

now the guilds are largely neutral in terms of good and evil and generally they avoid interaction with humans, elves etc, living in parrallel worlds, although some observe the goings on ... and some do interact .... within the guilds you have those of various persuasions ...the wolves are on the side of the orcs and nazgul ... the eagles may well be "lawful" - or it all prefer, rogue ...

but at this point this has not been decided and so far nothing has been written that causes any problems on this score .... but feedback on the eagles is always welcome.

thanks Lotesse, BTW ...
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 AM   #962
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

New page bug.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #963
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Val, thank you for placing the placeholder. Now we can end the reception, at last.
TD, awesome post. I like that new plotline: Khamul lying about Aiwendis being his accomplice.

Serenoli, thank you for the changes in your big post. Now it fits the map perfectly. The Nameless Cartographer is pleased .

Have you invented a fake name and story for Tolvadok to use in Tharbad? The Chancellor will ask you to do it. How about posing as a visiting Professor from another University? Say from Dol Amroth, if Tolv is a Numenorean, or from Northern Khand or Harad Uni, if he is obviously an Easterling? The Professor came to study some rare manuscripts in the famous Tharbad Library... Let's assume that the scrolls, that Elendil brought with him from Numenor, are stored in this library, as it was there already at the time of the Downfall, while Annuminas had yet to be build?

And please, Serenoli, is Tolvadok the Fourth or the Third?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #964
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
C'mon ladies... all of Middle Earth is depending on you. The stakes are that high! If the Nazgul get what they want here - even if Gordis wins Valandil - there would be no line of Elendil in the North, no more descendants of Isildur... no Aragorn!
You just wait and see, baby-kinglet, you haven't even started to guess at our evil plans!

Who needs this Aragorn? Or his pathetic ancestors, who couldn't keep a prosperous kingdom, practically devoid of enemies, from depopulation and decline? I call it EXTREMELY POOR MANAGEMENT!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #965
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
You just wait and see, baby-kinglet, you haven't even started to guess at our evil plans!
*quakes in her elven shoes*

Quote:
Who needs this Aragorn? Or his pathetic ancestors, who couldn't keep a prosperous kingdom, practically devoid of enemies, from depopulation and decline? I call it EXTREMELY POOR MANAGEMENT!
[Donald Trump voice]You're FIRED![/Donald Trump voice]

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #966
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*types in 2 more posts*

OK, OK, I just had to have her fall out of a tree, you know! I've talked about it so many times, after all!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #967
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
Serenoli, thank you for the changes in your big post. Now it fits the map perfectly. The Nameless Cartographer is pleased

And please, Serenoli, is Tolvadok the Fourth or the Third?
Good, I pleased someone... But if I give way in everything, the Nameless Cartographer will only become more and more evil!

And as for his number he is Third if Mordocar is Fourth, and vice versa. I don't much mind which one he is as long as its between One and Nine.

Wow, Rian, very intersting posts. I love how she falls down, its so characteristic of her!! And I'm looking forward to the next one.

And TD, and CS, good fighting, but why is the mysterious force that pulls Lily ignored and not explained? In the exchange between Khamul and Udu, no mention is made of Lily. Ahh, its confusing! Hoping the next posts will clear it up!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 10-28-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #968
Rían

Thanks, S! Yes, I'm getting fond of my klutzy half-elf.

Great post yourself! Wonderful description of a really creepy, Dorian-Gray-like change

And I loved the last line - LOL!

Old 10-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #969
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Serenoli - That was an awesome last post! Very good, indeed.

Everyone, esp. Rian - I'd like to reiterate how much I always enjoy reading all our posts, and Rian, obviously a lot of thought and care & preparation go into your writing, but may I please suggest again what I did last week, that we all keep our daily minimum to one post per day, especially when the posts are so very long? Otherwise, I don't know about the others but I never have time to catch up on all the reading - by the time I've caught up on the story and discussion posts of the day, I no longer have time left at my computer to even THINK about composing a contribution myself. It's frustrating. They are BEAUTIFUL posts, mind you, very well composed, there's just so MUCH of them. Am I wrong in mentioning this? I don't want to sound like I'm trying to dissuade people from writing - God, NO - just that perhaps we can limit our daily contributions to one per member per 24-hour period.

TD and CS- May I ask when this Nazgul quarrel at Orrodel will be concluded, and the maid dealt with, so that Viv has freedom to proceed? She does not feel like spending the ENTIRE night out in the park staring at the stars. She'd like a bath and a change of clothes.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-28-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #970
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Serenoli, Awesome post - I loved every line of it!

So we have the Faithful Third. (I mean faithful to Sauron). Very interesting!

Rian , always a pleasure to read your posts
Lotesse I hope the matters in Orrodel will speed up. But in RPG-time it hardly took more than 10 minutes...

I started to consider sending Tolvadok to Orrodel... Would you like to go, Serenoli?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #971
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Lotesse , I forgot to ask you before about Mor.
I understood from one of your last posts that you were planning to introduce Mordacar, the last nazgul. Is that so?

You see, we now really need the last one. To have Eight would be strange.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #972
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

There are covert plans underway to bring him in, but it'll take a few days and anyway, I have to wait for the Nazgul upstairs to finish their quarrel, plus I'd like Viv to be able to participate in the horse race Raendil invited her to on the following day, before anything happens. It could be at least a week before we see Mor. Patience! T'will occur eventually...

Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #973
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Everyone, esp. Rian - I'd like to reiterate how much I always enjoy reading all our posts, and Rian, obviously a lot of thought and care & preparation go into your writing, but may I please suggest again what I did last week, that we all keep our daily minimum to one post per day, especially when the posts are so very long? Otherwise, I don't know about the others but I never have time to catch up on all the reading - by the time I've caught up on the story and discussion posts of the day, I no longer have time left at my computer to even THINK about composing a contribution myself. It's frustrating. They are BEAUTIFUL posts, mind you, very well composed, there's just so MUCH of them. Am I wrong in mentioning this? I don't want to sound like I'm trying to dissuade people from writing - God, NO - just that perhaps we can limit our daily contributions to one per member per 24-hour period.
Yeah, I know mine have been long - it's just that there's a lot of catching up they have to do after 3000 years!!

Actually, at first, I had planned a nice, simple, chummy reunion between Rian and the guys, with Rian and Tyaron meeting as long-lost lovers, but then Val suggested to me that I don't get Rian too close to her elf-boy too soon, so she could be available to possibly interact with King Val, so I thought of some ways to do that and came up with what I've posted. (boy, is that a run-on sentence!)

There's a lot I want to have happen "tonight" (rpg-time), and I have several more long posts, and I've been afraid to hold up the rpg by spending SO much time on one night, so I've been doing 2 long posts a day (because I already have the whole night written out). However, it looks like the crew at Orrodel are moving at the same pace as I am, as they're still at the fight in the bedroom!, so I might just do one long one tomorrow (or I might split it into 2, if it's longer than I think it will be) and then the final "poetry-fight" one the next day.

Quote:
TD and CS- May I ask when this Nazgul quarrel at Orrodel will be concluded, and the maid dealt with, so that Viv has freedom to proceed? She does not feel like spending the ENTIRE night out in the park staring at the stars. She'd like a bath and a change of clothes.
Why don't you make Ray unable to sleep, and write a rendevous with him? Lots of fun stuff going on in the park tonight! Unfortunately, "Khamul" has been out of town in RL, so understandably they've been held up

So what's the prognosis on moving in to your house? (and getting more internet time there?) I hope things come together soon

Gordis - thank you, and I am eagerly looking forward to Aiwendis' next move! Your posts are so descriptive and visual, and I really enjoy them

Last edited by Rían : 10-28-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #974
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Lotesse, TD, CS and Gordis - Udu has just posted. I think I have left enough openings there for any to make follow-ups. TD will not be back until Monday, but perhaps Lilly or Aiwendis or you can find room to maneuver in what I just sent. If not, I will amend the post.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #975
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Thanks for posting Udu.
Great posts, everybody.
Loved yours, Serenoli!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #976
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Gordis - thank you, and I am eagerly looking forward to Aiwendis' next move! Your posts are so descriptive and visual, and I really enjoy them
Thjank you, Rian. I love yours as well.

Udu, CS, wery interesting posts... Lilly's torture... mmmm...

CS, Udu, Serenoli, TD, should I send Tolvadok to Orrodel? Your opinion, please.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #977
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Rian, I have an idea,
Remember that stable boy, that you have invented for Annawen (what was his name?-something FUNNY!).

Anyway he must be in Orrodel, sleeping in the servant's wing or at the stables- not in the main house. What if he hears all this shrieking and sees strange lights and comes to investigate?

Well, it will not turn well for him, certainly, but perhaps you don't care about him that much? (pleading LOOK). If so, it gives you a golden opportunity to interact with the Orrodel group...
Old 10-28-2005, 07:47 PM   #978
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
CS, Udu, Serenoli, TD, should I send Tolvadok to Orrodel? Your opinion, please.
Gordis, his arrival should make for an interesting mix.

Udu has just posted again. I don't really like to post twice in a day but the plot was getting quite interesting. As always, I can amend the post if it should conflict with the plans of others.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-28-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #979
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Why don't you make Ray unable to sleep, and write a rendevous with him? Lots of fun stuff going on in the park tonight! Unfortunately, "Khamul" has been out of town in RL, so understandably they've been held up

So what's the prognosis on moving in to your house? (and getting more internet time there?) I hope things come together soon

Heheh, I will make it so. Indeed, if a bath is what she wishes, she cna use his, and he will fiddle around in the stabels or something. I'll make him restless and go to the park. Ps, I take it this is the park that Raendil often frequents? Though I dont see any parks on the map.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #980
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I'm currently at a coffeehouse computer which is costing me $15 an hour, because the library closes early on Fridays and my boyfriend's not at his office. Just so y'all know. Believe me, Rian, when I'm moved into my new home EVERYbody will know!

About Viv having to wait - it has been almost 2 weeks since the beginning, build-up and now protracted continuance of Cs's, TD's, and Udu's fight. Maybe that is 10 minutes in RPG time, but it is an eternity to me. I tried to post and worked hard on it, and my idea was discreetly booed out of existence - everyone (well, almost everyone) was very genteel aout their disapproval of my post, so in consideration of the whole group, I erased the entire post - my desicion entirely, and whatever, I'm over it. However - why now must a Nazgul who LIVES there be prohibited from going to her own home? It would be nice to crash at Ray's or whatever, but that is NOT my plan for my character. It's been a while; PLEASE, you guys, try and wrap it up soon with the fight? Please? Someday I'd like to be able to contribute.

Actually, come to think of it, NOW would be an ideal time for people to start coming back to Orrodel, and discover that stricken maid. Rian? Is RPG-Rian up to coming to the aid of an obvious victim of Black Breath? I wonder how THAT would develop. Hmm.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-28-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Closed Thread