Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #961
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Udu - You write online books; a-ha! Cool, that explains your apparant ease at a prolific style. I am truly enjoying Maethor, plus it seems you handle Aiwendis really well which is good, 'cause I can't see too many of us would be as capable of doing so. She's a complex and distinctive character. I really, really dig on this developing tension between Khamul and Udu/Maethor; it's SO interesting. Their developing tension is really drawing me in; it's like watching a car crash about to happen.

Crazy Squirrel - can you write some more today? The more I read, the more I WANT to read, and want to write, too, but I don't want to start dominating all the posts. I'm waiting for some others to put theirs in, like CS, Rian, (Rian are you here today? ) more from TD, Butterbeer of course who we haven't seen since yesterday when his constable & Barliman ran into each other, and Valandil - are you going to the Red Herring now? and Shah, are you gonna write some Marty & Ray stuff now? Remember, Ray wants to go get Viv so they can hang out this evening; they like each other a lot already and want to spend time together. Where's Beautiful Boomerang, and Falco and Penny - Grey Wolf, are you here today dear friend?

Gordis - did I tell you already how much I loved your post? I probably did. Yes, Viniglaen took some gems, but at first they'll hardly be missed at all. She's careful like that; she isn't foolishly greedy, that is how she gets away with all the high-profile crimes she likes to commit. By the time Val even realises those selected gems out of that pouch are missing, days will have gone by anyway, plus she's got her alibi, and nothing else in the room looks at all touched or altered. That was fun!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #962
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks again, Lotesse.
No more today, helas! On "our side of the pool" it is past midnight or more. So no more BB, CS, TD, GW or myself today.
Good evening to you all!

Last edited by Gordis : 10-02-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #963
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Udu - You write online books; a-ha! Cool, that explains your apparant ease at a prolific style. I am truly enjoying Maethor, plus it seems you handle Aiwendis really well which is good, 'cause I can't see too many of us would be as capable of doing so. She's a complex and distinctive character. I really, really dig on this developing tension between Khamul and Udu/Maethor; it's SO interesting. Their developing tension is really drawing me in; it's like watching a car crash about to happen.
Lotesse,

Aiwendis and I see many things eye to eye, and that is why we can work well together. The tension between Khamûl and Udu/Maethor is very enjoyable and I hope it continues. Khamûl, go ahead and get rough, either verbally or by action. I am a scarred veteran of many years.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #964
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Holy Monkey, I like your writings! I thought that you were a little to good to be an off the bat Rpger...Makes sense that you write online.

Lotesse, I will write it out, for the most part tonight. I am having a lapse in healing, I'm kinda breaking down again...But from what the pain killers afford me, i'll stay up.

UDU, where did you pick up the name "Farideh"? That's a Persian name, last I checked. As a matter of fact, thats my cousin!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-03-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #965
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Well, whatever you can do will be WONderful, Shah, whenever you can do it. I wish you were feeling better, already. I wish you weren't so hurt. Anything you want to write with Viv in it too I look forward to, anything at ALL. I love your writing, and I always look forward to reading your posts. I wish I copuld send you a magic healing potion, or something. I hate it when people I like are hurt.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #966
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"Holy Monkey, I like your writings! I thought that you were a little to good to be an off the bat Rpger...Makes sense that you write online." - Last Sane Person

Glad you like the writings.

I have been wargaming and rpging online for almost ten years, and I was a long-time gamer before that. In fact, I ran my own live action RPG for 16 months, concluding it back in June. Right now, I am co-authoring an online book based on concepts from this RPG. Of course, there will be many modifications in the story, owing to the fact that has been broadened and expanded greatly. It is an AU. Sauron gets the Ring back, and what happens next.

"UDU, where did you pick up the name 'Farideh'? That's a Persian name, last I checked. As a matter of fact, thats my cousin!"

I need the names of many different characters from many different countries for use in my book. My version of Middle-earth is loosely based upon ancient civilizations, and basing cultures on the familiar landmarks (Orocarni Mountains/Ural Mountains; Tigris and Euphrates Rivers) as seen in Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. I always try to get older names, medieval and before. I wanted to use a Scythian name for the gray mare, but since there are only a few known Scythian words, I wanted to reserve them for the book.

"Farideh" is indeed a Persian/Iranian name and means "Unique, precious." I got it from - http://www.persianweb.net/names.html It appears to be a very good source, but I have many others. A lot of my characters are named with ancient Mesopotamian and Zoroastrian names. I cannot make up languages the way that Tolkien did, so I must go on ones that already exist.

I am sorry about the fact I used the name of your cousin. If you want me to change it, I certainly will. Just say the word!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #967
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I too wish ya could. Oh well, am working on something right now. a short lil dilly, in which Ray manages to wriggle out of the reception. Taking a thorough beating in rochdol serves it purpose on field and off for Ray.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #968
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Great posts, guys! I like all the different tensions and relations between the various Nazgul.

I wish rpg-Rian had a fellow elf around to interact with ... *wistful glance towards Belgium*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:01 AM   #969
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Rian, maybe you should invent rpg-Rian a new friend to put in the game, you know - a new elf-woman to be Rian's friendly elven connexion there. I'd be sad, too, if I were the only Nazgul in, say, Nin-in Eliph or whatever. I'd love to see a new elven character!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:01 AM   #970
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
"Holy Monkey, I like your writings! I thought that you were a little to good to be an off the bat Rpger...Makes sense that you write online." - Last Sane Person

Glad you like the writings.

I have been wargaming and rpging online for almost ten years, and I was a long-time gamer before that. In fact, I ran my own live action RPG for 16 months, concluding it back in June. Right now, I am co-authoring an online book based on concepts from this RPG. Of course, there will be many modifications in the story, owing to the fact that has been broadened and expanded greatly. It is an AU. Sauron gets the Ring back, and what happens next.

I need the names of many different characters from many different countries for use in my book. My version of Middle-earth is loosely based upon ancient civilizations, and basing cultures on the familiar landmarks (Orocarni Mountains/Ural Mountains; Tigris and Euphrates Rivers) as seen in Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. I always try to get older names, medieval and before. I wanted to use a Scythian name for the gray mare, but since there are only a few known Scythian words, I wanted to reserve them for the book.

"Farideh" is indeed a Persian/Iranian name and means "Unique, precious." I got it from - http://www.persianweb.net/names.html It appears to be a very good source, but I have many others. A lot of my characters are named with ancient Mesopotamian and Zoroastrian names. I cannot make up languages the way that Tolkien did, so I must go on ones that already exist.

I am sorry about the fact I used the name of your cousin. If you want me to change it, I certainly will. Just say the word!

I know what it means, I was just surprised to no end to see it in here. Never mind applied to a horse...You don't have to change it, it's just that I will look at the post a bit funny whenever i see that name.

Also, I don't think Zoroastrain or Scythian names would really fit with depiction of the east which Tolkien described. It was more of an Arab-Turkic style, more of a near east.

Just to let you know, I am an Iranian, and indeed a Zoroastrian! Huzzah!

EDIT: I went to that site, and now I am longing for home...arg...

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-03-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #971
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
I went to that site, and now I am longing for home...arg...
Poor shah-jon!

(does that make sense to you? Did I get it right, or is that even appropriate?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:45 AM   #972
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Yes, I get your meaning. Though you wouldnt call the Shah "jon" or "Johnam", lol. You would call me shah-e-che...Little prince (king), also an endearment.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 AM   #973
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"Also, I don't think Zoroastrain or Scythian names would really fit with depiction of the east which Tolkien described. It was more of an Arab-Turkic style, more of a near east." - Last Sane Person

There are three or more major theories about correlating places used in Tolkien's concept with the world of today. Since I am writing a book, I must stick with one theory, so all will have cohesion.

I use this site here: http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~...kien/Grid.html

"Minas Tirith and Osgiliath are getting submerged in the Adriatic Sea at 43 deg. N, 17 deg. East, somewhat South of the Croatian city of Split. Barad-dûr is found in Western Serbia, not very far from Belgrade."

However, east of this map, everything becomes very vague and Tolkien did not allow for the curvature of the earth. Therefore, I must rely upon two rivers that join and consider them as what would someday (after many great changes of land) become the Tigris and Euphrates, and the Ornocari Mountains as the Urals.

Of course, not everyone agrees with this theory, or even that Middle-earth can be superimposed upon a modern day map. It is simply easier to stick with one theory over three or four.

I use a blending of names from many languages, but hope that all will have the Eastern flavor.

"Just to let you know, I am an Iranian, and indeed a Zoroastrain! Huzzah!"

The country has a great history, and wonderous archeological treasures.

"EDIT: I went to that site, and now I am longing for home...arg..."

May the longings of your heart come true.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #974
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
May the longings of your heart come true.
I wish for that, though that is about all it is. Wishful thinking.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 AM   #975
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I was under the impression that we were going to stick with Tolkien/Middle-Earth words & names. I mean, we might as well call the Nazgul John, Peter, Mary, Jane, Susan, Frank, Jason, Scott and Randy (unless one of these names happens to be a shortened nickname of a real Tolkien word-name)- well you get the idea. Please, no offence meant at all, Udu! I really love what you've added to the RPG; I just personally feel we would be better off sticking with Tolkien words & influences, rather than an outside source's "interpretation" of what Tolkien may have been inspired by, language and name-wise anyway.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-03-2005 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 AM   #976
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Yes, I get your meaning.
Good My Persian friend told me it was an ending that was a little endearment, like the Spanish "ita/ito". Our middle son's nickname is "JonJon", and when she heard that, she told me what it meant in Farsi.

Quote:
Though you wouldnt call the Shah "jon" or "Johnam", lol.

Quote:
You would call me shah-e-che...Little prince (king), also an endearment.
Now my stock of Farsi words has doubled!

Goodnight, shah-e-che, and I hope you feel better soon!
(remember to bug those doctors about a pain med that has less side effects for you!! There's no reason to not try another one, except the doctor's laziness!!)

Last edited by Rían : 10-03-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 AM   #977
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Your friend told you correctly, and you did well by adding that. Only problem being is that Shah is a title, therefore the endearment ot personalization of it is improper.

My persian name (my REAL name) is Soraya, if you wish, you may address me as such!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:34 AM   #978
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Shah, I loved your depiction of Ray, and how he has his own pad, and is normally the quiet type if he's not with Marty. I like how he likes Viv! Poor Ray took a thrashing on the rochdol field today, huh! Well, Viv's gonna be waiting to hear from him...

Rian, I liked your post, and poor rpg-Rian seems so lonely now with Earniel gone - did you see what I suggested a few posts up there? Maybe you could invent her a new elven friend. There's not enough elves in this game anyway, we need more diversity, no?

Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 AM   #979
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I am off for the night! Lotesse, you can do the whole family permission-asking, heading-out thingy...Yeah, I feel sorry for Rp Rian....alas!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:13 AM   #980
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I was under the impression that we were going to stick with Tolkien/Middle-Earth words & names.
Lotesse,

Since that is the case and Udu is trying to blend in with the people of Tharbad anyway, I will use the Sindarin translation of that lovely name. "Minei" would be the name, which means "Unique."
Closed Thread