Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #941
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
It's all good. You know, if we still wanted to retire Quickleaf (I'm much more glad we don't!), my latest post would give us a good excuse for his blindness to return. However, I think a combination of the pipeweed and the conking should just give those four a sort of painful and temporary headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I wouldn't have allowed it. If there is any whacking Q on the head involved, I want to be the one to do it.
Oh my, is that my aggressive side surfacing? *tries to hide her little outburst*
LOOK! Something shiny! *points*
The violence! I'll have to keep an eye out for Quickleaf. Even his companions want to maim him
Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #942
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Hee hee...

You got it, Mari. Next time there's whacking Quickleaf going on, you'll be the one to do it. I promise. Cross my heart and kiss my elbow!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #943
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Coffeehouse, do you intend something further with that tree you wrote about? When I had Truor advise against a hunt that was so we could wrap up the night here and go to the Raft-Elves. Varna is waiting for us.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #944
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Varna is waiting for us.
Varna the character (more commonly known in the 3rd and 4th Age by her Sindarin name Barufiniel) is talking to Sirandion while they are waiting, so she can manage.

Varna the player could of course post some of that talking, if it doesn't confuse people too much.

But some of that talking will have to be repeated when she meets new people, so it would probably make a better flow of the story if her conversation with Sirandion is not rendered in full. They could talk more about horses, of course.

Edit:
Oh, and I forgot to tell:
It took me longer than I had expected, but I've finally caught up with the story now, and have read it all, including the bar fight and Quickleaf's adventure with the live fossilized tree trunk.

I'll work my way through the discussion threads as well, and at least read the bios of the other characters.

I'm tempted to write out (over time) a history type narrative about Varna and her family, seeing that this is on too large a scope to fit into the bios of any one RPG she's in.

Would this be a suitable topic for a new thread in the Writer's Workshop? Or even one thread for the text and one for inviting comments?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 10-04-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #945
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Coffeehouse, do you intend something further with that tree you wrote about? When I had Truor advise against a hunt that was so we could wrap up the night here and go to the Raft-Elves. Varna is waiting for us.
But is it.. a tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Quickleaf's adventure with the live fossilized tree trunk.
Thank you for the patience Varna, Quickleaf will soon be back in the camp, I'm sure of it
Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #946
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
But is it.. a tree?

Thank you for the patience Varna, Quickleaf will soon be back in the camp, I'm sure of it
The tree question is what we're all wondering... you're the one who wrote it, CH.

Is IT going to jump up and be Mari in disguise, getting ready to whack Quickleaf???

HA! I KNEW IT!

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #947
Coffeehouse

I suspect Mari will make sure Ellyssa gets a proper time to get a thorough wacking across the head on Quickleaf

As a note, I was hoping this could be a start of sorts in the companionship finding some physical evidence, but of course if this somehow goes contrary anything you have planned Eärniel.. Hopefully not.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 10-04-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #948
Varnafindë

Quote:
As a note, I was hoping this could be a start of sorts in the companionship finding some physical evidence, but of course if this somehow goes contrary anything you have planned Eärniel.. Hopefully not.
The way you've written it, it's still fairly open. It can be physical evidence that the Entwives passed this way - or if that goes contrary to the Threadmaster's plans, it can just be a male Ent who had an unfortunate encounter with the enemy.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #949
Earniel

Quote:
I'm tempted to write out (over time) a history type narrative about Varna and her family, seeing that this is on too large a scope to fit into the bios of any one RPG she's in.

Would this be a suitable topic for a new thread in the Writer's Workshop? Or even one thread for the text and one for inviting comments?
The Writer's Workshop would be perfect for it. It's for both original stories and fanfaction, so Varna's story would definitely fit in. I tend to use only one thread because everything I post in the Workshop is finished, but a lot of writers prefer using a thread for their story in progress and another one where people can comment. So you can go either way.

Quote:
Good idea. Not immediately contrary to my plans, let me see... Hmm, the company is still very close to Greenwood for it to be the remains of one of the fleeing Entwives... The scrolls from Dol Guldur tell they first went east and then were intercepted by orcs and driven north. The orcs would not have passed closely to then-Mirkwood to avoid being seen by the Elves of that region or risk one or more of the Entwives trying to reach the safety of the woods. They would have chosen a more easterly route instead, through allied lands.

It could be one of the Ents as Varna suggested, that left long ago to look for the Entwives and who came too close to Dol Guldur. That could indicate Sauron actively was trying to prevent any search for the Entwives. Yes, we could definitely work with that. Hmm, Earthshaker's not going to be happy about this...

From an archaeological point of view, the searching Ent-premise would also be more logical since the Entwives have been gone for two millennia and no metal sword would have survived that long enough on a forest floor.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #950
Varnafindë

Quote:
The Writer's Workshop would be perfect for it. It's for both original stories and fanfaction, so Varna's story would definitely fit in. I tend to use only one thread because everything I post in the Workshop is finished, but a lot of writers prefer using a thread for their story in progress and another one where people can comment. So you can go either way.
There would be several chapters added over time, but they would only be unconnected pieces, not part of a continuous narrative. One thread should be enough then. And I can even add posts with my own OOC comments, in between the IC scholarly history ones.
I've also got some short stories, posted elsewhere, some on fanfiction.net, one on Rinkë's site - should I link to those in the Varna's family history thread rather than post them?

Quote:
It could be one of the Ents as Varna suggested, that left long ago to look for the Entwives and who came too close to Dol Guldur. That could indicate Sauron actively was trying to prevent any search for the Entwives. Yes, we could definitely work with that. Hmm, Earthshaker's not going to be happy about this...
This should take some more time for you before you'll be moving on, then. Perhaps Baru could talk some more to Sirandion in the meantime? Not necessarily about horses (as I don't know much about them ), but perhaps about her uncle, as that is some common ground. Might it be a good idea then to mark the posts as At River Celduin?

Last edited by Varnafindë : 10-05-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #951
Earniel

Quote:
I've also got some short stories, posted elsewhere, some on fanfiction.net, one on Rinkë's site - should I link to those in the Varna's family history thread rather than post them?
That too is up to your preference. We've got no established rules concerning that. I've got full-text stories up here as well as on other sites, although I have been thinking of changing them to links to the other site to strengthen my copyright.

Quote:
This should take some more time for you before you'll be moving on, then. Perhaps Baru could talk some more to Sirandion in the meantime? Not necessarily about horses (as I don't know much about them ), but perhaps about her uncle, as that is some common ground. Might it be a good idea then to mark the posts as At River Celduin?
Sure, I'm no horse expert either. They may also intend to make some preparations for receiving their guests. And good idea, we'll use a heading with 'at the Celduin river' or 'the camp of the raft-elves' for Sirandion and Barufiniel until the others have caught up.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #952
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Good idea. Not immediately contrary to my plans, let me see... Hmm, the company is still very close to Greenwood for it to be the remains of one of the fleeing Entwives... The scrolls from Dol Guldur tell they first went east and then were intercepted by orcs and driven north. The orcs would not have passed closely to then-Mirkwood to avoid being seen by the Elves of that region or risk one or more of the Entwives trying to reach the safety of the woods. They would have chosen a more easterly route instead, through allied lands.

From an archaeological point of view, the searching Ent-premise would also be more logical since the Entwives have been gone for two millennia and no metal sword would have survived that long enough on a forest floor.
Cool. And it would be natural in a way that the Ent is at the very edge of Greenwood forest, where parties of orcs probably roamed from time to time. I was wondering what to do with the sword because for all purposes it should be buried several feet beneath the ground, but making it black and rusty could have left it open for having been there a long time, but not indefinitely. Also there could be some possibility that since this is an evil sword of Mordor that the ground simply wouldn't swallow it, but then you'd have be very superstitious
Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #953
Varnafindë

Quote:
They may also intend to make some preparations for receiving their guests. And good idea, we'll use a heading with 'at the Celduin river' or 'the camp of the raft-elves' for Sirandion and Barufiniel until the others have caught up.
I'll edit in At the camp of the raft-elves at the beginning of those two posts I've made already, and then use it for further posts.

Uncle and preparations should make for adequate topics.

Last edited by Varnafindë : 10-05-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #954
Midge
Faithful Gardener

With those two posts of CH's right in a row, I got the image of one of those movies that's made for TV with pauses in the flow for commercials, but when you actually buy the movie, there are no commercials so it's just fade out and fade right back in to where you left off!

Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #955
Coffeehouse

Quote:
With those two posts of CH's right in a row, I got the image of one of those movies that's made for TV with pauses in the flow for commercials, but when you actually buy the movie, there are no commercials so it's just fade out and fade right back in to where you left off!
Hehe I know what you mean The reason it became two posts was that 1) I had no inkling as to how I wanted to describe Quickleaf discovering an Ent and 2) Nobody would read a 7-8 paragraph post so better divide it into two parts..
Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #956
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Oh, I know. I just thought it was funny. I knew why they were two instead of one.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #957
Varnafindë

Btw, Midge, it says that your location is Glaeren, and you have Aerin's horse also as Glaeren.
Why do you like the name - because of a good meaning, or just because it sounds good?
I'm a bit curious ...

Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #958
Midge
Faithful Gardener

For like, a page and a half, I couldn't remember the name of Aerin's horse. So I put the name as my location... easily accessible.

And it sounds funny, that my location is the fictional horse I've created for my RPG character.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #959
Coffeehouse

Quote:
For like, a page and a half, I couldn't remember the name of Aerin's horse. So I put the name as my location... easily accessible.

And it sounds funny, that my location is the fictional horse I've created for my RPG character.
Good thinking, and I like the horse name. It's very convincing, I even thought you'd just borrowed it from some ME character

Thinking of getting Quickleaf a horse too. We'll see, depends on what Kool Aid wants.. who by the way is still an enigma to me. Still figuring out parts about him.. But the horse will have to wait until after the upcoming riverjourney!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #960
Varnafindë

Quote:

Good place to put something you want to have handy ...

Quote:
you have Aerin's horse also as Glaeren.
Why do you like the name - because of a good meaning, or just because it sounds good?
I'm a bit curious ...
I still would like to know why you chose it for her horse, where you got it from if you didn't make it up yourself - and what it means, if anything.

There's a reason why I'm asking ...

Closed Thread