Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #941
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I just went and read the newest posts... still laughing, cracked a few ribs, and before I go into surgery for them, Udu and Lady Marion, that was too hilarious. Especially, Udu's one. and the Bi-centenial bathroom break, of course. Brilliant *wipes tears of laughter of face*

Rian, cool, you'll have a fight scene as well! Nice post, some angst seeping back in, after all the happy swimming post, I see.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #942
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
You were too vague, sun-star, to the point of dating it Tuesday, not Thursday. - Just joking.
Oops Thanks for pointing that out.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #943
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Serenoli, the only thing is, is that it means me completley rewriting my last post. I'd prefer it if there was an easier way.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 02-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #944
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Oh, TD, what is the problem? Make the last post shorter, but you will have half of the next one ready!

Udu, Great sarcastic post!
LMM, ingenious way to wriggle out of it and have your way no matter what.
We shall see what Udu says.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #945
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Udu, Great sarcastic post!
LMM, ingenious way to wriggle out of it and have your way no matter what.
We shall see what Udu says.
Dead men don't come back from Mandos. Namo has spoken.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #946
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Ok, if you insist. I will edit and post later.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #947
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

The intent wasn't to wriggle out, but to fix it so that characters apart from Udu's weren't left hanging.

Now that we've got caught up to each other we'll skip to the aftermath.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 02-22-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #948
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Very funny posts, Udu and Maggie! I loved the bi-centennial bathroom break and the flatulent horses

Now on to torture ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS
No one of the FOGAL's agreed
I still don't get this I don't remember being asked, Maggie doesn't, either - who WAS asked and refused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
CS, this is exactly right. I knew it would be pointless to ask any of the FOGALs to agree ...
I'm willing to work with you, Udu, but it's not as simple as it sounds, because of YOUR side's incessent demand to not be discovered or even raise suspicions, no matter what you guys do. Really, if you guys wanted to have lots of torture and murder and stuff in the story, then Tharbad was a bad place to set up! Lots of soldiers, etc., and other responsible people who would look into things like that (too bad Melwen's death investigation got dropped - I think it would have balanced things out more).

You guys demand to not be discovered, and the ML in the story tells people to lay low, yet you want to put the main "good" guys with connections and relatives/friends in a torture chamber? How can that possibly work, without reverting to the (IMO) lame device of wiping out memories? And even then, you can hardly wipe out the wounds - those would certainly be noticed! How do you solve that one?

OK, in the spirit of the recent funny posts, here's MY funny post. Let's say I give you permission to capture and torture Alagos. Really, when he returns, I don't see any other thing to write but this (given the FOEAD demand to not be discovered):

R: Hey, Tyaron, have you seen Alagos around recently?
T: Come to think of it, Rian, he's been missing a week or so. Oh well. I apparently just didn't notice.
R: Do you think we should, like, maybe look for him or notify the authorities?
T: Why in the world should we do that? We might discover something!
R: Oh, yeah - right!
A: Hi, Rian and Tyaron, I'm home!
R: Ewww! Why are you limping and covered in blood? Where is your nose? And what is that awful smell of burned flesh? Yuck!
A: Oh, I was captured and tortured.
T: Oh, OK - well, grab me a can of coke out of the icebox, willya? Your deal, Rian.
A: Do you want to investigate or notify the authorities or warn the populace or anything?
T: Why would we do that? That would be reasonable and intelligent, and we're not reasonable or intelligent!
A: True ....
R: Hey, are you in on this hand or not, Alagos?
A: Deal me in!

See, guys, torture is NOTICEABLE, and we keep hearing from you guys that you don't want to be found out! So it seems that the only way is to use your own characters, or some travelling salesperson character like I suggested.

Quote:
I do not create characters of my own to torture. That is writing, not RPing, and I have my own webpages for that.
I think this is a hybrid between writing and rpg-ing, isn't it? I think if it were an rpg, we would be making MUCH shorter posts, and only writing for our own characters, wouldn't we?

Udu, I'm willing to give Alagos or Tyaron to you to torture, if you really want to, but only if you can explain how I can NOT end up having to make a post like the one above. Or option 2 - You can say that in an rpg, we shouldn't know ahead of time what will happen - sure, I can go with that, but only if YOU GUYS don't object when I notify authorities and a massive search is started, turning everything upside down and putting everyone on alert to notice anything unusual, because that's what any reasonable person would do.

I'm TOTALLY willing to work with you here, but because of the nature of this rpg and the demands from the FOEADs that things be kept quiet and undiscovered, we're gonna have to come up with something ahead of time, don't you think? Let me know if I'm missing something here. I like writing posts with you, and I think we could work together.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #949
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

We don't mind being "found out," Rian. No one has gone about legitimately trying to "find us out," either. Have you? Where is a post from you wherein an elf of yours actively pursues a hunch, if one exists in said characters, about any ONE of the Nine? Where? Have you written one? Has anyone written one? Butterbeer was on the right track when he initiated the Melwen investigation, when he created investigators that were willing to follow clues. Oreturion exists; why doesn't he follow hunches? But it has to be reasonable. Nazgul have certain powers that the average Middle-earthian does not possess; therein lies the fun of playing one, and the reason why they are so terrifying. But at the same time, how many powerful Elcves are here in the story, too? A lot. What's preventing any one of them to excercise THEIR Tolkien-Canon powers of observation and divination? Nothing. Now, talking swords do NOT exist. A horse CAN be conditioned to accept a Nazgul rider. There ARE animal spies always working for the bad guys in Tolkien's work. At the same time, we have Galadriel's mirror, elven insight, etcetera. The elves belong to whomever decided to write them in this RPG; it is the player's responsibility to research what powers and strengths are available to their character and use them as they need or want to.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #950
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Careful what you wish for.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #951
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Bring it on! (It's about time)

Old 02-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #952
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
We don't mind being "found out," Rian.
I can't even write a scene with Khamul and Rian discussing things on the front porch without massive complaints from the "evil" side about it being noticeable! You've got to be kidding. The FOEAD side has objected to things over and OVER because they might lead to them being found out.

Quote:
No one has gone about legitimately trying to "find us out," either. Have you?
No, because of the requests from your side.

Quote:
Where is a post from you wherein an elf of yours actively pursues a hunch, if one exists in said characters, about any ONE of the Nine? Where? Have you written one? Has anyone written one?
No, because we're honoring requests from your side.

Quote:
What's preventing any one of them to excercise THEIR Tolkien-Canon powers of observation and divination? Nothing.
Only requests from your side.

Quote:
Now, talking swords do NOT exist.
Yes, they do - Turin's sword.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #953
Rían

OK, my WWF post has been posted - it was fun! Constructive criticism welcomed - I've never written a fight scene before.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #954
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Then don't write scenes on front porches, surrounded by houses. Write them in enclosed areas, Rian. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. You couldn't have your confrontation inside? How many TIMES have all of us in this damn RPG gone over that, while it was being written?

SO - Valandil has Turin's sword? I didn't know that; how'd he come upon Turin's sword?

"Our Side" has not requested that "your Side" not try to legitimately find us out, Rian. Talking swords is ridiculous; might as well have a crystal ball. Maybe the problem is that some of the writer/players with characters on the FOGAL side just lack an abundance of imagination and/or the courage to come up with sound, Canon-proof and LEGITIMATELY CREATIVE ways to write their stuff.

You sound like a broken record, when you go on and on that the FOEAD writers requested that the FOGAL writers not "find them out." Use your imagination, and avail yourselves of the myriad of Canon-sound powers at your collective disposal. That's what some of the FOEAD writers do, and very well I might add. As do some of the FOGAL writers, but still no one has been brave enough to come up to and try and follow or be interested in a Nazgul as actually perhaps being a Nazgul, and not just a student or Chancellor, or vixen.

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-22-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #955
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Chill ladies. We all know why things have or have not been written, we've been over it a thousand times.

What say we three head over to the tea-cup for some calming drinks and start thinking about ways to make up for lost time on the investigation front?

- The Crucible

Old 02-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #956
Rían

Quote:
Then don't write scenes on front porches, surrounded by houses. Write them in enclosed areas, Rian. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. You couldn't have your confrontation inside?
I didn't WANT to have it inside I wanted it outside on purpose. I liked how it went - I liked that she couldn't even get in the house because Khamul disliked her so much. The complaint against it was that it was too noticeable - a recurring complaint from the Nazgul side, and we on the non-Naz side have tried to honor that (I purposefully made the conversation appear like a normal conversation and NO passers-by heard even a single word or saw anything unusual).

Quote:
SO - Valandil has Turin's sword? I didn't know that; how'd he come upon Turin's sword?
I don't know if it's Turin's sword or not, but the talking sword thing has certainly been done before in Tolkien.

Quote:
"Our Side" has not requested that "your Side" not try to legitimately find us out, Rian. Talking swords is ridiculous; might as well have a crystal ball. Maybe the problem is that some of the writer/players with characters on the FOGAL side just lack an abundance of imagination and/or the courage to come up with sound, Canon-proof and LEGITIMATELY CREATIVE ways to write their stuff.
I don't think that's the problem, and yes, your side HAS requested that we don't do things that might lead to your side getting found out sooner than they want to be. We're willing to go with this, because obviously, if you guys are found out, then the rpg will come to an end. That's been the problem from the start.

Last edited by Rían : 02-22-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #957
Rían

Quote:
Bring it on! (It's about time)
I'll wait for a consensus from the other Nazgul-ites.

What do you guys think?

edit - anyway, now that the PETA lawyers are on to your side, you don't have a chance!

Last edited by Rían : 02-22-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #958
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

To all concerned with the dungeon scenario - let me know if you want any edits.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #959
Rían

any response to the PETA lawyer, or is he already dead in a ditch somewhere?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #960
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Udu, why can't they all speak with one another? Why are Buz and Viv being relegated? Why is it that for the six months or whatever that I have been in this RPG that I cannot seem to get it through any of my FOEAD brethren's heads that unity works better than irrational, mean-spirited disunity? And why does Buz and Viv have to be treated like s*** by their peers, for coming in with good intent, NOT to destroy or torture either Khamul or Udu, but to help Lilly in her pain and talk and or fight with Khamul and Udu as EQUALS, EQUALS ALL, O.K., with the Second only getting a bit more say & power as he is second to the ML but he is NOT the ML himself. So why do you shut my two guys up, and only take speaking to Tolvadok seriously? Why couldn't all of us talk, huh?

WHY DID YOU BIND AND SILENCE MY CHARACTERS? We are on the same side, Udu. Man, I give up. I just give up at this point. That's it. I'm just going to hang back and watch, from this point out. Kill my Viv and Buz, why don't you. Go right ahead. It's just as distressing to me to have my characters shunted aside and silenced and tortured like they were common failures and lowly nothings, then to kill them and take their whole spirits and bodies outright.

[Offensive material edited out - Eärniel]

Last edited by Earniel : 03-03-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Closed Thread