Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #941
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Hmm...so who else is on the island?

Here's my tentative character profile...this guy's slightly "out there"...

NAME: Elendendil II

RACE: Human

APPEARANCE: Tall, wears a gray cloak and clothing, has brown hair and a fair face.

PERSONALITY: Slightly arrogant, under the impression that he's one of the lost descendents of the Númenorian kings.

HISTORY: Somehow, he ended up on this deserted island, and is working up his empire, with the ambition of remaking Númenor...although he calls it "Númenorioriar" or something like that...and gets upset at anyone who "mispronounces" it.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #942
Huorn
Elven Warrior

The little Oak is trying to escape. You have the choice of letting her slip away or catching her. Right now she isn't part of the plot.

Just call me Oakie
Old 08-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #943
Lady Willow Rose
Elf Lord

Enelya won't leave the island without the little Oak. Don't worry about that.
Real love is a mixture of pleasure, pain and a soul-deep happiness that blasts any complaints out of the water. When you're in love, his voice makes you smile and his laughter warms your heart. And when he weeps, you feel yourself dying in each fallen tear.

Love is madness of the very best sort.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 AM   #944
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

GW, Sharkbait is watching you in the brig. There's not that much space down there so he's going to see you.

Oh yeah, and since you've tried to escape...well you ruined your chances of getting free to explore the island. I was going to let you both out there and have a chat. But since you've escaped, back you go.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 08-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #945
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Umm... so Bb has been mentioning this in diverse places and times, and thought I'd check it out. Do I have to read all the billion and one posts?

And, what kind of characters are suffering a shortage?

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #946
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenoli
from the Quest therad Ooc: I just joined in without asking,,, too funny to resist. Hope no one minds. Oh, and I've only read 3 pages, so any contuinity errors, I hope u'll excuse and point out, etc. And, I hope G111 is on a pirates ship... he is, isnt he?
Actually. I do mind. I don't know if anyone else will, but I do.

I think it's quite rude to throw a character into an ongoing RPG with no warning to the current players. Especially when you have no idea what is going on, or what the game is about. We have been at sea for AGES so anyone stowing away would have been spotted by now. However, had you read the RPG you would have seen, actually there are several opportunities you could have used, to keep the continuity. WHICH, is why it is always worth reading the thread, or (because as you rightly point out, it is a bit lengthy) at least requesting/checking for a summary before entering the game.

We ask everyone to post a character description before they enter the game. Too late now, but if you wish to play it would still be appreciated so we can know your character.

[rant]
This is also because we have in the past had players who have almighty, undefeatable characters who you can't kill, can't imprison, who constantly put other characters down so theirs comes out on top... and whose players refuse to see this. Any situation you put them in, they magically get themselves out because they want to be at the front of the RPG and their character is so great. And that's not something we want to see again. ALL characters are fallible. It benefits everyone to remember this. They have flaws, get injured and can die. (Though don't panic no one will kill your character. Not unless you and everyone decide as part of the story it works. Example, Sane sacrificed her character Roya in the last installment of this RPG, and play someone else now.)

[/rant]

Now in reference to your IC post: GW (or GIII) is not on deck, he's in the brig still. Yes he seems to have sprung himself, but he hasn't left the brig area yet.

Any stowaway could have been picked up in two places. We just left an island, but even more recently, we sacked a merchant ship and so you could have stowed away then. OR, we are about to reach an island in order to collect some new characters. So, you could have joined in then with the other castaways.

Now I pointed those things out because they are alterable, and I am not saying you can't play. Indeed, the more the merrier. Well...to a point I just think barging in is not the way to endear yourself to the other players.

----

Curub: Welcome to the game. Get you character around to the others on the island, we're going to be landing soon.

Entwife: Your character is welcome on board, OR if you think she's unsuitable for this game, play someone else. Personally, I think she would find the pirates a little traumatising. How well would she react to being on a ship? It's made of dead wood. BUT she is welcome if you want to play. Or another character would work too. It's up to you not us...I saw you trying to make us decide for you there.

I can fly - my friends.

XK

Last edited by Elfmaster XK : 08-24-2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Format, ranting etc
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #947
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

EXK, I can vouch for Serenoli that she won't be any trouble. She's a sweet and responsible girl and is good at funny RPG-posts.

Serenoli, how nice to see you here. Usually it's best to always check out the discussion threads before jumping in, especially in games with captains who can keelhaul you if you don't listen.

Could you give us a character discription? We can see already something in the game thread, but we like resumes.

But yes, we'd still like you to read the RPG, or at least make a serious attempt at it. Don't worry we won't take an examination, but we'd like people to understand what kind of format we use in the pirate-game, which is best gleaned from the game itself. You will find it's different from the nazgul game in some ways.

I'll give a short summary for now, but I hope you'll eventually read the game-thread as well.

The ship we're on is the Nance-a-lot, or for short: Nal. It's a pirate ship, with mostly an elven crew, and a lot of other odd, often fantasy, characters. XK is the captain, I'm second mate, Sane is the carpenter, BB a passing sea gull and so on.

We like drinking, and originally we sailed in quest of the Holy Wine. When we found it, it was stolen by two deserting crew members. That was in the last game. You don't have to read that one too to play in this game, although I'm sure it's a fun read.

This current RPG, we've gotten ourself some new crew members and sailed in search of the deserters and the stolen wine. We were side-tracked to an island, had a fight with blue Elves, picked up more crew, looted a merchant and are now on our way to another island to pick up some more crew.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #948
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Sorry, Ill remove it now. and stay put in the brig.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #949
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I am sorry, Elfmaster... I really had no idea, and I've never really been in one of those with captains... I'll remove my post, and read up first, then, shall I? I really am sorry that I made anyone rant.

Thanks for the sweetness, Earniel.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #950
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Well, there's the intro post. If one of those islanders feels like noticing the funny-looking Númenoriorianiorian...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #951
Lady Willow Rose
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
GW, Sharkbait is watching you in the brig. There's not that much space down there so he's going to see you.

Oh yeah, and since you've tried to escape...well you ruined your chances of getting free to explore the island. I was going to let you both out there and have a chat. But since you've escaped, back you go.
Wait, we escaped?
Real love is a mixture of pleasure, pain and a soul-deep happiness that blasts any complaints out of the water. When you're in love, his voice makes you smile and his laughter warms your heart. And when he weeps, you feel yourself dying in each fallen tear.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 PM   #952
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
No, Ive deleted the post! We are still in the brig!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #953
Lady Willow Rose
Elf Lord

Oh, good!

Wait... why am I happy about that?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 AM   #954
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
I am sorry, Elfmaster... I really had no idea, and I've never really been in one of those with captains... I'll remove my post, and read up first, then, shall I? I really am sorry that I made anyone rant.

Thanks for the sweetness, Earniel.
No ,no don't remove your post! (I bet you already have as I've been offline since 6 yesterday.) If you just alter it a little to fit with the story. ie. say you stowed away in one of the boxes we took from the merchant or something like that. And you would have to cut out GIII part because he's below decks.

[edit] Dammit you have already cut it out. Did you save any of it?

Eärniel summarised for you. You should still read up, but you can do it while playing now. I trust Eärniel's judgement on you, and I'm not adverse to you joining the game, I just think jumping straight in was not the way to go. And my rant went off on a tangent anyway, but it was worth everyone remembering, including myself.

I was trying to make a point but perhaps was a little too strong. Hope I haven't scared you off now!

So, a character description perhaps?

Right for those who might not know. Careening is when you beach the ship and scrape off all the barnacles and crap that are digging into the bottom of the ship. That's what we're going to do, as well as mend the sails and pick up some more monkeys Just so we're all on the same page.

I can fly - my friends.

XK

Last edited by Elfmaster XK : 08-25-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #955
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I too can vouch for Serenoli

(wotcha Serenoli !! )

a delightful writer, very concientious back-reader generally, i may have (inadvertantly in the teacup or somet??? ) given her the idea of swinging aboard cutlass in mouth with no afore-thought ... as the bucaneering thing to do ...somewhere? ... ... littlethinking she would!

Not too much tiny people heh?
Reminds me of the three trolls in the hobbit ... Lots but hardly non at all!
I take it you mean tiny amounts in tiny portions.
Hokay.

Welcome Big C!

Jack'll be back ... he's probably just having a snooze...

is it just me ... or did one of my posts go awol????
Old 08-25-2006, 07:23 AM   #956
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
I too can vouch for Serenoli

(wotcha Serenoli !! )

a delightful writer, very concientious back-reader generally, i may have (inadvertantly in the teacup or somet??? ) given her the idea of swinging aboard cutlass in mouth with no afore-thought ... as the bucaneering thing to do ...somewhere? ... ... littlethinking she would!

Not too much tiny people heh?
Reminds me of the three trolls in the hobbit ... Lots but hardly non at all!
I take it you mean tiny amounts in tiny portions.
Hokay.
I was never going to say she couldn't join. I was just annoyed she jumped in without knowing anything. And now she's apologised and deleted her post and I feel bad for shouting at her because I didn't want her to delete the post. Maybe amend the mistakes she made because she didn't know. But I would say my post was a wee aggressive. Me apologies mates.

Anyways. Yeah about the little people. Not too much. But still some I like the tiny world its genius, but I'm sure you see what I mean about it being the kind of thing to divert the thread.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #957
Serenoli

No, I have it saved in my computer... I got in the habit last year, when entmoot had a horrible habit of losing posts half-way.

And, I'm not scared... you're not frightening enuff, Elfmaster, ul have to try harder. So, I'll hide in a merchant's box, shall I? And I'll try to, um, condense a little.

(wothca, BB )

BTW, where do you give the character descriptions?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #958
Serenoli

Never mind, I see Curub's posted it here, so I'll do the same

Character name: such a difficult question. Well, he tends to, uh, misplace his birth certificate. Though it always turns up in the end... in the interim, he may be called anything you please. Really. You-Know-Who, or perhaps Unohu. conversely As-you-like-it... which might be Aasulycit. Or simply Midget, Nemo, Anon, the boy, whichever appeals.

Appearance: He is a boy. Age indeterminate. Slightly small for his age... although ppl hu say this dont know his age, so how can they tell. Curly hair, very cute little black eyes, but there is a curious blankness about them.

Occupation: A ship's boy. I don't know much about ships, I can't tell between starboard and port, and I'm definitely confused about middlesmen, oarsmen, mates of all sizes. All I'm confident of is that every ship has a 'boy', and this is wat Unohu is.

History: Used to live with a very sweet hobbit-lady, who brought up orphaned kids who ran away from the mean nasty streets of Gondor. She used to love all the kids like her own, give them candy every day, buy them those famous Gandalf-fireworks on birthdays, and never tired of telling them spine-chilling stories of the One ring, Bilbo and his Party, dragons and dwarves, and even the Ents that Hal saw. Why he left her is a pure mystery.
Perhaps he dreamed of supplying a story of his own for her to tell?

Character: this is as bad as the name question. But he's very innocent, very naive, and obedient. A White Hat, if ever there was. Hasnt taken to drinking yet.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #959
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

hee hee, that's the way Serenoli ...
me and Big vern vouch fer ya ... she ain't no troublemaker Cap'n, that she ain't ...

... then ya goes and tells Captain 'XK she ain't fearsome enough ...

hooboy!

Aye XK, donna worry there - Serenoli is an experienced sea-dog in extremely stormy NUCLEAR RPG seas ...

hasn't taken to drinkin' yet? ...small voices start a whisperin' ... drums...drums in the deep .... *the bacchus beat blazes through the tiny dark ... *

" 10/1 he's a spewin' an' a reelin' ere the careerin' dawn ..."
Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #960
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Hasnt taken to drinking yet.
Don't worry, Willow never used to drink either... (Willow being my character, not Lady Willow)

Welcome aboard at any rate!

Katt, would you mind terribly editing out the bit about Maeve being hostile? She's mischievous right now, but there's no reason for her to be hostile just yet.

And now I think I had better do something with the Seaflame... and possibly see about getting Willow out of the brig and Maeve's hands.

Exk and Earniel? If I were to put Willow in a position to surrendur herself to or be captured by the Nal would your characters be willing to hear her out before keelhauling her?
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Closed Thread