Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2003, 03:42 PM   #941
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Funny thing Russia wanted to lift sanctions while Saddam was in power, now they don't want to lift them. Some fishy things going on...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:15 PM   #942
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I'm amazed that this is surprising you all...........several countries have deep financial commitments post-sanctions.....and we all knew that the oil would be the under the legal ownership of the UN security council...

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...444497,00.html

This is where the (political) battle really starts.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:24 PM   #943
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Perhaps it has something to do with Bechtel?

50 years ago Bechtel built the pipeline to Syria. 20 years ago Donald Rumsfeld, Saddam Hussein, and a Bechtel executive met to discuss a pipeline to Jordan, but feared Israeli attacks. Later a Swiss lawyer tried to pay Israel's Labor Party a bribe for a promise not to attack the pipeline. Bechtel built Turkey's hydro-electric dam. Bush appointed Riley P. Bechtel to the President's Export Council. George Schultz, a Bechtel director, was Reagan's Secretary of State. Caspar Weinberger was recently an executive at Bechtel. Bechtel got the contract for reconstructing Iraq. Bush wants sanctions lifted to fund reconstruction. The contract is for 680 million dollars.

Is this the "fishy" thing you were looking for?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:44 PM   #944
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Appropriate for here me thinks....

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj...of_the_oil.jpg

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #945
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Appropriate for here me thinks....

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj...of_the_oil.jpg

I had that in my sig a coupla weeks ago

Beatallica
Old 04-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #946
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh Im unoriginal as usual then....

what about this one? http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj...lder/bush3.jpg

EDIT: or this one http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj..._gulfwars2.jpg

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-18-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #947
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Are we posting Saddam spottings yet? That video from Abu Dahbi is an obvious double.

I saw him riding a bike today. He even had his silly black beret on.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:53 PM   #948
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:

Nowt wrong with a bit of unoriginality...........that one is great

(seen the other one before tho')

Beatallica
Old 04-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #949
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I'm amazed that this is surprising you all...........several countries have deep financial commitments post-sanctions.....and we all knew that the oil would be the under the legal ownership of the UN security council...

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...444497,00.html

This is where the (political) battle really starts.
I, for one, didn't say it was surprising. I however said it is stupid for the UN to vote to keep sanctions in place - since the government they were instituted against no longer exists. There is a big difference. The sandtions should be lifted immediately if the UN TRULY cares about the Iraqi people. The people of Iraq had nothing to do with the development of WMD or the invasion of Kuwait which brought about the sanctions.

But of course France and Russia are going to try playing politics with people's like they did before the war.

Quote:
"A central role" is not the same as the central role, of course, and the Europeans are clearly seeking a compromise. They were unable to stop the war, and its outcome has further marginalized their influence on the ground in Iraq. Yet, they remain unwilling to simply hand legal control of Iraq over to the U.S. or a U.S.-made Iraqi authority — at least not without some compromises. And the sanctions regime, to which France and Russia have for years demanded an end, is now ironically their only leverage through which to seek a role for the UN — and by extension, a modicum of influence for themselves — in Iraq's immediate future.
Like I said - it sort of makes you wonder who is REALLY in it for the money. My vote is with France, Germany and Russia - especially since they even had illegal deals with Saddam before the downfall of Iraq.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-18-2003 at 08:28 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #950
jerseydevil

Quote:

EDIT: or this one http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj..._gulfwars2.jpg
Too bad that if we wanted Iraq's oil there were a lot cheaper ways of going about it. For one we could have lifted sanctions and said to hell with the WMD. Also - it still remains that Europe and Japan rely more on the Middle East for oil than America does.

The argument for Gulf War I was also supposedly so we could take over Kuwaits oil - in addition to liberating them. It's amazing though - we didn't take over Kuwait's oil nor did we invade Iraq to take over their oil back in 1991. I guess it's just that the anti-war crowd needed something simplistic to rally behind - otherwise they might have actually had to face the brutality of the Iraqi regime. It seems as if most "peace activists" really don't care about the atrocities of the world - as long as they're kept behind closed doors.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-18-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #951
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Like I said - it sort of makes you wonder who is REALLY in it for the money. My vote is with France, Germany and Russia - especially since they even had illegal deals with Saddam before the downfall of Iraq.
Strange......I didn't here a single protest about these "illegal deals" when they were made

Surely it would be a simple matter of courtesy (not to mention a great beneficiary) to Iraq to honour those deals? Would save a lot of hassle in the long run

The UN won't lift sanctions until the proof of WMD are in place (or lack of) so I guess it is up to Blix and his boys to finally do the job they had started......

Quote:
The sandtions should be lifted immediately if the UN TRULY cares about the Iraqi people.
I agree. Let the Iraqi' people find the best deals for their oil that they can

Beatallica
Old 04-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #952
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Too bad that if we wanted Iraq's oil there were a lot cheaper ways of going about it. For one we could have lifted sanctions and said to hell with the WMD.
America could not have lifted any sanctions...........they were placed there by the UN

Quote:
Also - it still remains that Europe and Japan rely more on the Middle East for oil than America does.
And it is to their credit that they do not call for the lifting of sanctions until the WMD accusations have either been proven or proved false.

We'll be hearing of communist practices of the state handing out rebuilding contracts without tendering them on the open market next .......... oh wait a minute!......

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 04-18-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:51 PM   #953
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Perhaps it has something to do with Bechtel?

50 years ago Bechtel built the pipeline to Syria. 20 years ago Donald Rumsfeld, Saddam Hussein, and a Bechtel executive met to discuss a pipeline to Jordan, but feared Israeli attacks. Later a Swiss lawyer tried to pay Israel's Labor Party a bribe for a promise not to attack the pipeline. Bechtel built Turkey's hydro-electric dam. Bush appointed Riley P. Bechtel to the President's Export Council. George Schultz, a Bechtel director, was Reagan's Secretary of State. Caspar Weinberger was recently an executive at Bechtel. Bechtel got the contract for reconstructing Iraq. Bush wants sanctions lifted to fund reconstruction. The contract is for 680 million dollars.

Is this the "fishy" thing you were looking for?
Why shouldn't an American or a coalition country get the contracts. WE are the one's who have spent all the money and blood to free these people!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 04-18-2003, 11:56 PM   #954
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
so I guess it is up to Blix and his boys to finally do the job they had started......
Doubtful, today the US sent in 1000 bio & chem experts, as opposed to the meager 50=100 UN inpectors or however few they have...

--Linaewen
Old 04-19-2003, 12:14 AM   #955
jerseydevil

Quote:
America could not have lifted any sanctions...........they were placed there by the UN

No - but the US has veto power. France and Russia both wanted sanctions lifted. The US was the only one keeping them there. So NOW that the US says "okay - Hussein's regime is no more. " France and Russia say "wait - we shouldn't rush into lifting sanctions now".
Quote:

And it is to their credit that they do not call for the lifting of sanctions until the WMD accusations have either been proven or proved false.
No - they just repeatedly called for the lifting of them while Hussein was in power and was in the process of hiding WMD from the inspectors.
Quote:

We'll be hearing of communist practices of the state handing out rebuilding contracts without tendering them on the open market next .......... oh wait a minute!......
Most of the companies that were given the contracts - were the same companies who took care of the oil wells in Kuwait. How many months do you feel is okay to waste to try getting Iraq back on it's feet while it goes to committee?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-19-2003 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:23 AM   #956
jerseydevil

Quote:
Strange......I didn't here a single protest about these "illegal deals" when they were made
Yes there were - but I guess you weren't getting US papers or news. It has been brought up by America for a long time.
Quote:

Surely it would be a simple matter of courtesy (not to mention a great beneficiary) to Iraq to honour those deals? Would save a lot of hassle in the long run
How would this be a benefit to Iraq? Having to pay about 300 billion dollars in deals when the Iraqi people don't have the money? What would be better for the Iraqi people is if France, Germany and Russia agreed to wipe that debt that Iraq owes as part of the rebuilding effort.
Quote:

The UN won't lift sanctions until the proof of WMD are in place (or lack of) so I guess it is up to Blix and his boys to finally do the job they had started......
Why not? The sanctions were put into place against Hussein's regime. Iraq is in no position right now to develop WMD and having to wait for proof of WMD one way or the other will serve no purpose for rebuilding Iraq. Who are sanctions going to punish now? Hussein and his regime? The only people the sanctions will punish are the Iraqi people and delay Iraq from getting back on it's feet.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #957
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Why shouldn't an American or a coalition country get the contracts. WE are the one's who have spent all the money and blood to free these people!
Shouldn't that be up to the Iraqis?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #958
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Shouldn't that be up to the Iraqis?
You may not have noticed - but there is NO government right now.

Do you think that we should just wait a year before rebuilding the schools and everything else so then the Iraqis can get the people they want to rebuild their country?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-19-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #959
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

No, immediate action is necessary, but it does raise questions.

You're right that the reasoning of the Russians, French and Germans against lifting sanctions is absolutely ridiculous, but there is a valid legal problem, which is why the American government is now proposing to lift the sanctions in stages.

Lord knows, I'm not an international lawyer, but AFAIK the problem is this:

if the money for rebuilding is coming as aid from America, like the initial two billion the Bush Administration asked Congress for, then certainly if the American taxpayers choose to take money from their pockets and put it into the pockets of Bechtel or Halliburton, that's their decision (barring any problems with the WTO).

But, if the money is coming from Iraqi oil sales, there could be a problem down the road. What if the new government of Iraq refuses to honour those contracts, on the grounds that they were made by an American authority with an American company ( or any other company, for that matter) and are therefore not binding?

Without the consent of the Security Council, which imposed the sanctions in the first place, the legal position is much trickier.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:04 PM   #960
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
You may not have noticed - but there is NO government right now.
Didn't George Bush say in his campaign that he doesn't "do" nation-building?

Either he lied or he does nation-destroying, but doesn't build them up again.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote