Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #921
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh yeah- and Rian, about discussion forums dying out, I kind of do see that to a certain degree, but I also see many specialty-interest boards continuing to thrive as well as ever, so. I dunno. I really hope not!!

Ok my eyes are officially strained to the max, I can barely see this tiny font on my phone. Especially after a looooong morning of commuting all over chaotic LA and then grocery shopping, more driving, tired, bleh.

Wait-What time is it? It's after noon, right? Because there comes a point in one's day when one requires a decent globe of cool white wine, and I've definitely reached said point!

Everyone, help yourselves to a glass if you like! *sets out chilled wine, a Roussane/Viognier blend, indicates to glassware behind the bar* This is, after all, the Teacup Cafe & Skybar Lounge (remember when we built the Skybar? Ah, great memories...)

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #922
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Hmm... maybe we should start a lurkers' thread. It would be pretty empty, though...
Now THAT. Is an awesome quote!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #923
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

It's 8pm, and I'm having a 2-hour break at home from the hospital. My guy had a kidney stone issue tonight, scary. I drove him to emergency room- in ten years together, i have never seen him express pain like that. so it was pretty unsettling. But he's in a private room now, being tended to, and I need to go back & pick him up in about 3 hours. My eyes are so stressed out I can barely see at all! But I'm mooting from his laptop right now, not the phone, yhank goddess. anyway...

*Spots almost untouched bottle of this afternoon's Roussanne still set on the bar, snatches it up, wearily swipes a wineglass from the back cabinet, pours a glass of the now-warm vino. Sighs, blinks. Sinks into chair, glass in hand.*

If only someone were here...

Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #924
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Guys don't go thru childbirth, but I hear that kidneystones are the man's version of childbirth Hope he's doing well - I've heard that once it's over, it's over (and the stone won't get you up at night for feedings ) - IOW, it just needs to get out and it's done. But I've also heard that once you get one, you might be prone to get another, so you might want to read up on prevention. I"m sure he'll want to, after going thru that!

Here I am on the night shift at the Cafe again ... up with pain issues and just kinda antsy. My daughter's CRPS complication with her broken foot was confirmed with the pain dr. today, and tomorrow - er, today - she's getting an injection in her spinal area to "reset" the nerves involved. I'm so glad my wonderful podiatrist caught it early - the pain dr. said that most dr's don't catch it that soon, and the sooner you catch it, the better it responds to treatment. And this treatment has almost immediate effects, so that's good - I don't like seeing her in pain

*grabs a cup of tea and tries to get back to bed*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #925
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao Rian- I know, seeing a loved one in pain is, well, pretty damned painful on its own. Sure threw me for a loop tonight! No, this is D's 2nd major kidney malfunction, it's just that this time around we didn't still have health insurance so I had to beg, cahweedzle and convince my extremely proud, republicanesque man that the Catholic hospital would work with him on the costs, AFTER helping him, which of course they did.Little Company of Mary RULES. They saved my life 3 years back when my ovaries exploded.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #926
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hm, if there is one thing that can empty a thread on the 'moot in a flash, it'll be talk of medical woes (Or was that just labour and birth-stories? I remember days when some of you managed to chase all the men from any thread by just mentioning labour. )

But it sure puts things in perspective and so I'll forgo complaining about the sore muscles after two days of limping and go straight to the offered wine.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #927
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

, Earniel! That's true, huh. Hmm.. What this Cafe needs is one of our old RPG-like collectively imagined remodeling jobs, and some anthropomorphic animals, and more clientele! *brushes dust off backside* and a thorough cleaning!

If I were at a real computer, I'd start posting pictures & stuff. Everyone! Let's do it, yeah? It'll be fun! <(Famous last words)

Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #928
Earniel

Well, I doubt the efficacity of pictures to bring in a sustained traffic. My guess (because, well, everybody's got their own theory about everything, isn't it?) is rather that we need some actual conversations. We barely talk about anything much. Discussions about world news, books, movies, scientific discoveries, fun sites one finds on the 'net, anything besides the few tired, controvertial threads are few and far between.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #929
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Perhaps the Cafe is where we "update our status" almost Facebook-like - rather than talk together much ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #930
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

quick update - the procedure was painful and difficult, but the results were very good - the foot "pinked up" right away and got nice and warm again. Hooray!

Yeah, Earniel, I think it was the labor/delivery stories that chased the guys off - it was kind of a running gag we had going

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #931
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Perhaps the Cafe is where we "update our status" almost Facebook-like - rather than talk together much ...
Heh, that sounds rather accurate for what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
quick update - the procedure was painful and difficult, but the results were very good - the foot "pinked up" right away and got nice and warm again. Hooray!
A good start is always a good thing. Here's hoping all goes well, RÃ*an.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #932
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Hmm.. now I feel a little obligated to come up with some conversation... which I'm really not good at.

I will say this (trying to stay away from controversy) - I'm watching the Biden/Ryan debate and the moderator is cracking me up.

Example:

"I am going to ask you a simple question, but something tells me I'm not going to get a simple answer from either of you."

Also it's really annoying that they keep interrupting each other.

It occurs to me that one can't really trust what either of them says because they're essentially saying opposite things. For example, Ryan mentioned the unemployment rate is going up and Biden said it was going down. Both cannot be true.

Gosh darn it, I'm gonna have to do actual research to make an informed decision this year!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #933
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lol Midge! I know, right? I'm listening to it right now; more than once I've cracked up over the course of this debate. I love this moderator-lady Martha!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #934
Midge
Faithful Gardener

If I were her, I totally would have used the phrase "SHUT UP!" at least twice.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #935
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

She kinda did, in her way, here & there, if you read between the lines & heard her tone. It was pretty damn cool!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #936
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post
She kinda did, in her way, here & there, if you read between the lines & heard her tone. It was pretty damn cool!
Reminded me of a kindergarten teacher getting her students to calm down and be quiet.

"Boys, BOYS!"

Conversation:

Last weekend, my husband and I watched the entire second season of AMC's "The Walking Dead".

It got me thinking really hard about zombification. Creeps me out it does. *blugh* I'm glad my husband took up an overwhelming interest in guns ATM.

Last edited by Midge : 10-11-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #937
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, I saw a few episodes of The Walking Dead! That's a surprisingly good zombie TV show, actually.

Want a glass of wine or a mug of tea, Midge-bella? *questionally holds up bottle of wine to share*

Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #938
Mari
Elf Lady

I dreamt of a zombie last night. When I woke up I had to look round to make sure there wasn't one standing over me, but I wasn't really scared, fortunately. Actually, I really hate horrors and thrillers.
I wish I could be around more, but when I get home from work I fall down on the couch and sleep most of the time. I really love my new job though. Did I tell y'all about it? It's a job as a teacher of English at a middle school. So far both the kids and the parents and my colleagues really like me and I really like them, so all's good

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #939
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post
Everyone, help yourselves to a glass if you like! *sets out chilled wine, a Roussane/Viognier blend, indicates to glassware behind the bar* This is, after all, the Teacup Cafe & Skybar Lounge (remember when we built the Skybar? Ah, great memories...)
yes, yes YES! I do remember. and it's weeeeird to think I was 16 when the LOTR movies came out, and I read the books in a Chrismas break in two and a half days, before the movies got here in January... and about that time I found this place. And I'm 26 now. And married. And waiting for Thursday when I have a job interview (whole day long gig at a company's assesment center).

It's soooo good to see you guys around. Especially you, Lotesse. I occasionally lurk around here, and today I came to see a lot of your posts.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #940
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I dreamt of a zombie last night. When I woke up I had to look round to make sure there wasn't one standing over me, but I wasn't really scared, fortunately. Actually, I really hate horrors and thrillers.
I wish I could be around more, but when I get home from work I fall down on the couch and sleep most of the time. I really love my new job though. Did I tell y'all about it? It's a job as a teacher of English at a middle school. So far both the kids and the parents and my colleagues really like me and I really like them, so all's good
Congrats on the new job! Sounds really nice. As long as you don't start dreaming of classes full of zombies, though... I hope your students are more lifelike!
Closed Thread