Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #881
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Okay guys, here's the way it is: the election is over. Discuss, be civil. Otherwise, I see no reason to leave the thread open.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #882
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Okay guys, here's the way it is: the election is over. Discuss, be civil. Otherwise, I see no reason to leave the thread open.

Sorry, Just caught that, mein leader.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #883
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The BEST MAN won.

George W. Bush won by a popular vote margin of over 3,500,000 votes.

The NeoCommies were rejected soundly by the American voter.

The United States had no use for a worn-out traitor who met with North Vietnamese officials in Paris while US troops were still trying to keep Vietnam from being overrun by Communist thugs. Result? Over one million innocents butchered in South Vietnam when the Communists overran the Republic of Vietnam, over four million slaughtered in the Killing Fields of Cambodia.

The United States is a nation at war, and as a result, now Afghanistan is free and the people of Iraq are close to free elections. The War on Terror continues under the steady command of a true MAN.

Many of you are too young to remember the damage that Kerry, Fonda, ad nauseum caused to this nation, and to the cause of Freedom worldwide. Fortunately for this nation, and for the nations seeking to free themselves from the despotic grip of terror, the majority of voting Americans remembered.

This nation is once again safe, and the Freedom of Israel, Taiwan, Afghanistan, and Iraq are guaranteed. The Liberation of Lebanon, Syria, Iran, and North Korea await us all.

Face one additional fact: Over FIFTY MILLION SOULS are Free today because George W. Bush stood up and took the war straight to the sponsors of Terror.

I, for one, and as a speaker for the majority of this nation, am proud to have done my part to elect such a strong and decisive Commander of our military forces, and I look forward to the revamping of Social Security (and its preservation for many of you younger folks), as well as the complete overhaul of our abusive and byzantine tax code.

Rest well, Americans and the Free World. The terrorists and the despots toss and turn in nightmares at the resolve of the Greatest Nation to Ever Grace This Earth.

America, Hope of the Planet, marches forth united and strong. The NeoCommies, Islamofascists and Tyrants tremble at the sight of her armies issuing forth to spread the blanket of Freedom over the nations of the world!

God Bless Geroge W. Bush, Richard Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, Condoleezza Rice, Afghan President Armad Karzai, and Iraqi Prime Minister Allawi!

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #884
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Frankly Fenir... I don't think you have any reason to complain about the posts of others.

Nor do I think it's proper to publicly post PMs which other members send you. The 'P' stands for 'private' you know...

And when I check your posts from, oh the past 24 hours or so... a good number of them suggest that you're shadowing JD and posting sarcastic remarks in response to his posts.

Not trying to pick a fight, are you?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #885
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Bopous - have you been lurking around? You aren't on anymore and even when you were - you weren't in GM much. It is great that Bush was re-elected.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #886
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Frankly Fenir... I don't think you have any reason to complain about the posts of others.

Nor do I think it's proper to publicly post PMs which other members send you. The 'P' stands for 'private' you know...

And when I check your posts from, oh the past 24 hours or so... a good number of them suggest that you're shadowing JD and posting sarcastic remarks in response to his posts.

Not trying to pick a fight, are you?
[Edited by Azalea]

JD mentioned them first, and all I did is to reply in kind.

[Edited]

Last edited by azalea : 11-05-2004 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Fenir -- please be careful how you respond to a moderator. The portions I edited were inappropriate.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #887
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Question to the floor: When did "morals" become simply a euphemism for being against abortion and gay marriage? And more broadly, why do conservatives think they have a monopoly on moral issues (since it apparently won them the election)? Arent moral issues bigger then that? arent there plenty of immoral conservatives and plenty of moral democrats? isnt wanting to save the environment being moral? or feeding the hungry? helping the poor? why have we allowed one political group to rewrite the definition of morality exactly?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #888
jerseydevil

Valandil -

He seems to not know his on geography. Waterford is in southern coastal Ireland - nowhere near northern Ireland. I wonder - does anyone really think that Ireland is part of the UK?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #889
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Question to the floor: When did "morals" become simply a euphemism for being against abortion and gay marriage? And more broadly, why do conservatives think they have a monopoly on moral issues (since it apparently won them the election)? Arent moral issues bigger then that? arent there plenty of immoral conservatives and plenty of moral democrats? isnt wanting to save the environment being moral? or feeding the hungry? helping the poor? why have we allowed one political group to rewrite the definition of morality exactly?
Who says that democrats have a monopoly on feeding the hungry, helping the poor or caring about the environment. It seems as if the problem is that the liberals have been trying to dictate and acting as if they were superior. That is one of the reasons why I also supported Bush - and I think that is why a lot of people turned out for Bush - the thought of Michael Moore being a permanent fixture at the white house turned many people off and brought people out to vote AGAINST Kerry and the democrats in general.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #890
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Valandil -

He seems to not know his on geography. Waterford is in southern coastal Ireland - nowhere near northern Ireland. I wonder - does anyone really think that Ireland is part of the UK?
About the same amount of people think that jersey is actually a part of the US.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did that offend you. Well I never, and so on...
Old 11-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #891
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

And with that, I am going to sleep.

Carry on Yanks. carry on. Eventually you'll even convince your selves...
Old 11-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #892
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Yes - those other things you mention certainly ARE part of morality.

Some of us just consider certain thing to be the places where we, as a nation, are really missing the mark on morality... like abortion, for instance.

150 years ago, many conservative Christians were also focused on a single moral issue... they were called 'Abolitionists' - and were widely derided for it.

So... we just take the issues as they come. And no, I don't think anyone is claiming a monopoly... but some feel it their duty to make an issue of a particular thing they see as wrong.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 11-05-2004, 03:18 PM   #893
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Who says that democrats have a monopoly on feeding the hungry, helping the poor or caring about the environment.
the republicans. arent they the ones who always complain about those bleeding heart liberals who tax you into the ground and give your money to welfare scum?

Im the one attempting to say no one should really have a monopoly on doing the right thing. thats my whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
150 years ago, many conservative Christians were also focused on a single moral issue... they were called 'Abolitionists' - and were widely derided for it.
and should be hailed as heroes for it today. Although john brown was nuts. But I love it when people go AGAINST the majority opinion to defend a clear injustice. I would love to see the Christians do that with certain issues today. I think Christians can be wonderful people. Champion of many things noble and right. Even in the face of open hostility and bigotry against their purpose. But I do think they take wrong sides as well on some things because of the rules of their religion. And that troubles me.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-05-2004, 03:25 PM   #894
jerseydevil

Quote:
the republicans. arent they the ones who always complain about those bleeding heart liberals who tax you into the ground and give your money to welfare scum?
There is a difference between WILLINGLY giving your money to charity and being FORCED through taxes and having the redistribution of wealth. I wouldn't consider it very admirable to only give because you are FORCED to by the government.

That seems to be the big difference between democrats and republicans. I freely give money and time to charities - I just don't want the government TAKING my money from me and doing what they think is the 'right" thing.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #895
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I work (ed) hard for my money and don't want the government giving it to those who have made a lifestyle of taking entitlements. Lyndon Johnson really screwed this country good.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #896
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I work (ed) hard for my money and don't want the government giving it to those who have made a lifestyle of taking entitlements. Lyndon Johnson really screwed this country good.
yes - instead of the country being about getting a good education and working hard for what you have - it's becoming a sin to have money, people want the free ride and expect thngs to be handed to them, everyone has their hand out. Instead of people earning their money - they think they can get it through frivolous lawsuits or from the government. Some people need help - many people are just lazy though and don't want to work.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #897
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm sorry to say I'm making the decision to close this thread. The election is over, and despite the attempt of some to remain on topic, too many people are continuing to engage in off topic posting and flame baiting. Those seeking polite political discourse may move to another appropriate thread or may start a new thread if one does not already exist. I will remind everyone AGAIN not to make posts of a personal nature and to remain on topic in all threads. Thank you.
Closed Thread