Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #61
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

not to be rude either but i noticed some of you have said you are Christians and then say your not religious. doesn't make much sense.

I forgot to say my family was also Cherokee Indian on both sides. it's wierd cause i have Indian on both sides and both sides came on the same ship here from the same country and both sides settled in the same area a looong time ago.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #62
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

My parents were born in Ukraine and fled after World War II. They eventually settled in the US where I was born, but I feel more Ukrainian than American. I was raised Ukrainian Catholic (Uniate), but now rarely attend services, and then only as a way of staying in touch with my cultural heritage. Since I don't believe in any god, the experience (for me) is about the beauty of the ritual and music. It's really just an aesthetic experience, I guess.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #63
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
I'm non-religious. None of my family are religious. My mum was christian in her childhood but because of her parents.
I am glad my family didn't force religion on me. I think that would be unfair. I like to make my own decisions.
At the moment i do not want to be.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #64
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanza
I'm non-religious. None of my family are religious. My mum was christian in her childhood but because of her parents.
I am glad my family didn't force religion on me. I think that would be unfair. I like to make my own decisions.
At the moment i do not want to be.
Acording to the Christian faith, you may be forced to go to church ect., but is it is imposable for someone to force you to becaume a Chritian, you must personly exsept Christ to be your savoir, and it has to be your own chouse. God knows your heart and if you do not treully believe in him and want him to be your savour, then he will not come in. So, if your mom never made that decision, then just going to church or anything else (like praying, singing praises, things like that) would not make her a Christian.

I agree that no one should force you to go to church (or pray, or whatever for any religion), however, I am glad that my Mom brought me to church since I was old enoph to leave the hospital and home. As soon as I was old enoph to eather sit in my mothers arms, lay in something at her feet, or be without her for the service at least, my mom has brought me to church. I'm very happy about that.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:20 PM   #65
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

that's what i was gonna say earlier Samwiselver2008 but i didn't.

I don't think you should be forced to go to church but i don't think it's forcing if your still growing up. cause it's your parents job to raise you the best they know how.If you're parents are Christians then they'll most likely bring you to church to help lead your life in the right direction. there's a verse that i can't remember that says something like, Raise a child up in the path of the Lord and when he is grown he shall not depart from it. Ugg i can't remember!!anyway it's something like that.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:17 PM   #66
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I have no religion. Currently, I would like very much to believe that death is eternal and that it is very much like being asleep. If I were to choose, I would have to say Buddist; pratityasamutpa is something I could believe in, but more as a philosophy than a religion.

As to geneology, my name is the German spelling of a Jewish name (even though I don't think anyone in my family has been Jewish for quite a few generations) and I decend mainly from England and Germany.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:37 AM   #67
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

Quote:
you must personly exsept Christ to be your savoir, and it has to be your own chouse.
"I cannot, by my own thinking or choosing, believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to him, but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, etc." - Martin Luther

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:30 AM   #68
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Blackboar:
I believe more in Eru then God.
Okaaaay.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:08 PM   #69
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Anduril
Okaaaay.
Do you, anduril sword of Aragorn, have any doubts about the excistence of Eru?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:33 PM   #70
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I have no doubts about the existence of Eru as a fictional character.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #71
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

"what i don't get is why otherwise intelligent people take religion so seriously" qoute from douglas adams which i agree with completely........ not verbatim but close enough.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #72
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
"what i don't get is why otherwise intelligent people take religion so seriously" qoute from douglas adams which i agree with completely........ not verbatim but close enough.
One of the reasons is that if one does not take it seriously, one might not get into the mind of fanatics who have a tendency for violence.

Quote:
Know thy enemy.
- Sun Tzu

Another reason, I think, is that this is how people are brought up.

Some people I know in my community (and some of Professor Tolkien's contemporaries) might say:
"what i don't get is why otherwise intelligent people take Tolkien so seriously".

I respect other people and their beliefs until either they turn violent or start to sound condescending because it baits those violent types to do just that. But that's just me.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:16 AM   #73
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
What religeon are you? What Race are you? where did your family originate?
I'm a Christian, and my background (what I know of it) is English, Irish and Scottish. I'm descended from Robert the Bruce of Scotland, who, BTW, was grossly misrepresented in the movie Braveheart (Scottish historical societies are up in arms about the movie, which got several important and well-known facts about him wrong!)

The Douglas Adams quote makes sense if you believe that there is no absolute truth; that one may pick a religion (or atheism, for that matter, which is also a belief system) according to taste, like clothing in a store to try on for a bit and change according to mood. If, however, you believe that absolute truth DOES exist, which is a position that makes a lot of sense (for example, many tenets in different religions are conflicting; how can they BOTH be correct?) then it makes sense to be "serious" about a religion that you believe contains the truth. I believe that Christianity is the correct statement of how things really are, so I suppose you could say I'm "serious" about it.

However, if you mean "serious" as just grumpy and frowning, I think it's unfortunate that some "religious" people are that way. There's plenty of joy and beauty and fun in Christianity, however, so I, personally, am not walking around totally serious all day or anything like that and I think it is wrong to do so (in fact, in the Bible, we are told to rejoice and be thankful and we have plenty of good reasons to do both!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:02 AM   #74
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Religion: Atheist. And yes, I do on occasion say "oh random fluctations in the time space continuum!" But not very often.
I was raised Reform Jew, though.

As for where my family originates:
On me mum's side: (all Jewish, methinks. Or mostly.) Poland, Russia and Lithuania.
On me dad's side: Irish, German and Norwegian. . .I think. I've always been very interested in my Irish heritage, which, unfortunately, I know nothing about. My dad was raised Catholic, but he never liked having religion stuffed down his throad. . .

I wish I were Scottish. Or more Irish. That probably sounds awfully stupid, neh? Oh well. But I'm rather jealous of my friend who has a clan crest and motto and all. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:06 PM   #75
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
RÃ*an:
*snip*

(or atheism, for that matter, which is also a belief system)

*snip*
Atheism is not a belief system.
Quote:
EG:
Religion: Atheist.
Shame on you! You're making us look silly!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:36 PM   #76
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Atheism is not a belief system.
Yes it is.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:48 PM   #77
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Anduril - What's with the *snip*? Does that mean you're snipping out a bit of my post, or that you think I'm being snippy, or that you're being snippy?

What, you know that there's not a God? If it's not a belief system, what is it, in your opinion?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:21 PM   #78
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
BoP:
Yes it is.
Nope.

Your turn.
Quote:
RÃ*an:
Anduril - What's with the *snip*?
I *snip* text that is not applicable to my reply.
Quote:
More:
*snip*

What, you know that there's not a God?
If we are to venture into rational discourse, you would be well advised to pack the straw men back into the barn.
Quote:
more:If it's not a belief system, what is it, in your opinion?
It can be two things:
  • The lack of belief of God or gods, and/or
  • the belief that God or gods do(es) not exist.
There you go
Old 01-06-2003, 03:22 PM   #79
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Shame on you! You're making us look silly!
I believe that there is no god, or any other greater power, etc. I know this to be true, just as someone who did believe in god would say they know god exists. We would each tell each other we were wrong. Something like that. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #80
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
EG:
I believe that there is no god, or any other greater power, etc. I know this to be true, just as someone who did believe in god would say they know god exists. We would each tell each other we were wrong. Something like that. . .
Just as long as you don't label atheism a religion, you naughty girl.