Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #61
mallondwen
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

I hade never heard of Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Sim, or Tolkien when it came out. i am just a 17 (almost 18) year old teen. But I saw a preview for the movie and I was like “oh that looks cool” so I saw it the day after Christmas in 2001 and I was mesmerized by the quality, the depth, and the emotion that the movie portrayed. And of course the actors, I admit I was completely obsessed with Orlando at first, now my mom and I have an ongoing joke about it, but I am no longer like that, thank god.

But as soon as I could I got my hands on a copy of FOTR and I read it in about two days, then TTT and ROTK. By the time I had seen FOTR a few times I had it memorized and knew a lot about the characters. And I have fallen head over heels in love with Tolkien’s world, the languages, the characters, the places
especially. And now I am an obsessed fan with everything about Tolkien's work, not just the actors, though I admit openly ORLANDO IS HOT and Viggo is too, so is Elijah I guess, heck they are all HOT.

We have kept up that tradition too, every day after christmas me and my family have gone to see the new ones, though we had seen it several times already. (we have gone to two of the premires, didn't go to FOTR) my brother, who is now in the air force, had convinced my mom to see it with him in 2001 and after that we were sold, and in 2002 we saw TTT with him. and now he is stationed in Guam and on the day after christmas we all went to see ROTK, and so did he so that was a cool little thing we did.

Quote:
originally posted by Adrian Baggins
I have seen the fellowship of the ring 10.75 times. beat that somebody. I haven't seen the 2 towers yet though
Well that’s easy, FOTR- theatrical and in the theater- 10- at home- good god I lost count, well over fifty in the first two months, no lie
Extended version- uhh, I’m not sure but I have seen that one a lot too
TTT- theatrical in the theater- 7- at home- not as many as FOTR but still a lot as for at home, I still watch it almost every weekend, if not more
Extended version- hmmm- a lot, that’s mostly what I watch now
ROTK- four so far and counting, not nearly as much as I want though, I can’t ever talk anyone into seeing it with me twice in a row, I want to do that.
And I went to the trilogy, which was the coolest thing ever

Quote:
originally posted by Cassiopeia
I thought Tolkien said Legolas achieved the least of the fellowship.
He did in fact say that at one point but what he did not meant that Legolas was by any means not an important, or a vital character. If it wasn’t for Legolas’ constant optimism and encouraging then who knows what might have happened.
Even in the face of almost certain death and hopelessness he was planning things to do when it was all over.
Quote:
The Road To Isengard Legolas to Gimli on the road to Isengard:
Come! Let us make this bargain- if we both return safe out of perils that await us, we will journey for a while together. You shall visit Fangorn with me, and then I will come with you to see Helm’s Deep.
Quote:
The Last DebateLegolas to Gimli in Minas Tirith:
”They need more gardens,” said Legolas. “the houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.”
Also his bow and his skills as an accomplished warrior were a valuable asset to the fellowship. Come on, he shot a Nazgûl out of the sky at night when it was clouded and the thing was surrounded by its ominous dark cloud too, how cool is that.

I do not believe that Tolkien in any way meant to degrade the value of his elf but it was just a passing comment, which has been taken and dissected under microscopes trying to figure out what he meant by it. Legolas was invaluable, there is no question about that, and he accomplished a heck of a lot more than people give him credit for. But what do I know, I am just a crazed fangirl… (sorry so long, just had alot to say i guess)
Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling,
The voices of my people that have gone before me?
I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the lost Isle calling,
In Eresëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,
Where the leaves fall not: land of my people forever!”
mallondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:06 PM   #62
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

i used to only hate legolas a little- but after that stupid mumakil killing scene of his i hate him a lot.

that was purely for the leggy/orlando fan girls... or maybe they were strying to appeal to the extreme sports fans (?)

that just pissed me off, and all of my friends are so obsessed its crazy. ahh they make me so annoyed! ill start talking about how Legolas had no good lines in ROTK and they will all be like 'ya but hes so sexy so who cares?'

errrr i care!!! im glad that aragorn fans like me are able to keep a little bit more under control.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #63
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
i used to only hate legolas a little- but after that stupid mumakil killing scene of his i hate him a lot.

that was purely for the leggy/orlando fan girls... or maybe they were strying to appeal to the extreme sports fans (?)

that just pissed me off, and all of my friends are so obsessed its crazy. ahh they make me so annoyed! ill start talking about how Legolas had no good lines in ROTK and they will all be like 'ya but hes so sexy so who cares?'

errrr i care!!! im glad that aragorn fans like me are able to keep a little bit more under control.
Sure you are.

I agree, that Mûmakil-scene was plain stupid. Ok he made an action-movie, but couldn't he please have kept it within the laws of physics or at least made the scene not look like another "Legolas the gummybear"?

Last edited by Falagar : 01-20-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:59 PM   #64
eowyngirl14

Legolas the gummybear?? thats really funny. i usually call him 'legolas the spiderman wanna-be'

i like yours better!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-20-2004, 09:01 PM   #65
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hmmm... Aragorn fangirls can be pretty rabid too sometimes.

I did get the impression Legolas' character was hyped-up a bit.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #66
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Hmmm... Aragorn fangirls can be pretty rabid too sometimes.

I did get the impression Legolas' character was hyped-up a bit.
fine but we are no where near as bad as orlando fangirls... atleast i dont think i am.

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #67
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Legolas fangirls are the worst. I was just kidding anyway. Smilies all around!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-21-2004, 02:34 PM   #68
Critter
Sapling

re:

I know I am weighing in on this topic a bit late, but I’d just like to add one small point . . . . So what if some “girls” first become interested in Lord of the Rings because they have a crush on Orlando Bloom, Elijah Wood, et al? If they first attend the movies because it stars their favorite actor, however, with subsequent viewings they become engrossed in the story and pick up the book to read it, is that necessarily a bad thing? (Meaning is it a bad thing because these girls only first became interested in the story because of the “hot guys”).

This very topic reminds me of a former student and how she first became a hockey fan (bear with me). She had absolutely no interest in hockey even though her father was the curator for a local sports museum attached to the local hockey arena. One day, when she was about ten or 11 she went to work with her father. One of the players came into her father’s office to ask if he would mind conducting a tour for his family who flew in from western Canada. Nicole (my former student) saw the player and (in her words) she stopped breathing because he was so hot. She asked her father who “that guy” was and when she learned he played for the local hockey team she started watching the game. She is now quite knowledgeable about the game and no longer picks favorite players because they are “cute.” It took her noticing the attractiveness of a player to peak her interest, but the game is what kept it.

Could not the same be said for “fangirls”?

EDIT: Sorry, I am what one would call less than tech savy, I needed to correct an error or two (hope it takes this time) **crosses fingers**

Last edited by Critter : 01-21-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #69
Critter
Sapling

re:

Hey, I thought Legolas’ primary functions were to shoot things, be aloof, and look pretty.

(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist).
Old 01-21-2004, 06:49 PM   #70
mallondwen
Elven Warrior

I guess the same could be said for "fan girls" Critter, because even though in the first half of FOTR Orlando isn't even in it, and I wanted to know more about this cool and very interesting story. But it was when he came on screen that I wanted to know everything about that character and the story. And subsequently I read the books and now I am in love with the entire story, its history and all the races, Elves mostly though. And though Legolas is still my favorite character and I still think Orlando is pretty darn hot I am more so obsessed with the story than the characters.

And Viggo fans are no more "in control" than any other, Viggo's fans are just a little older and less outspoken, Orli fans are in the range of eleven and up, therefor the "reckless teens" mostly...
Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling,
The voices of my people that have gone before me?
I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the lost Isle calling,
In Eresëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,
Where the leaves fall not: land of my people forever!”
mallondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:59 PM   #71
eowyngirl14

i guess your right about the whole age thing. it must be weird bing 26 (??) and having 11 yearolds walking around talking about you.

im 15 and a Viggo fan. heeeheee

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-21-2004, 07:34 PM   #72
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I'm 12 and I'm a Viggo fan. A very rare breed, we are.

I'll admit, before I utterly despised and detested Legolas and Orlando Bloom in every synonym imaginable, I was a fangirl-at-large after I saw the movies. But nobody can point fingers at me because I had read the Fellowship of the Ring before I saw the movie. But after that, Legolas replaced Sam as my favourite The Lord of the Rings character, and I swooned every time he spoke and did things in the book and movie. But after a while, I finally stopped and said, "Why do I really like Legolas?" When I thought long and hard about it, I finally came to the conclusion that it was not because he accomplished great things and had a personality that attracted me, but because he was played by a good-looking actor that had mastered that sexy pouty-face that makes me wet myself. So Sam once more went to the top and Legolas and Orlando went down...down....down....

And after seeing The Return of the King, I was reminded of how truly great Aragorn really is, and I was ashamed of how I had hated him before. Now I'm a huge Aragorn fan and I love Viggo.

Go figure, eh?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:45 PM   #73
eowyngirl14

i wish all legolas fand could turn out like you!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #74
Critter
Sapling

RE:

Quote:
And Viggo fans are no more "in control" than any other, Viggo's fans are just a little older and less outspoken
Hey, watch who you're calling "older" . . . . .

I've always been a fan of Viggo Mortensen (check out The Prophecy to see his really creepy rendition of Lucifer) though I must admit it took me a bit to recognize him in Fellowship of the Ring because I’m used to seeing him blonde.

Last edited by Critter : 01-22-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:33 AM   #75
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

Dont forget that those nutty Orly fangirls are the ones who have paid millions of $ to make the films so successful to date. Let 'em have their perv on elfboy or whoever, as long as they go home to us b/f's!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #76
eowyngirl14

that is true, but Aragorn fans helped too! we are just outnumbered by orli fans.

my good friend laura pointed this out to me when we wre talking about Hidlago. when i said that i was goign to see HIDALGO on opening night with all the other Viggo fans. she says, 'well youll be the only one in the theater.'

it wasnt very nice of her. ill just get my friend nick to come with me!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #77
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

not only are viggo fans more mature, they are also more numerous. the only reason that orli gets so much attention is because his fans are a mad mob of teenage crazy girls, who'll stop at nothing(and will even shed blood) to have a look at orli in real life.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #78
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Apparently, Orlando Bloom is a technophobe. If this is what movies did to him, I wouldn't blame him in the slightest.

People have to realize that he's a person, not a lust object. A hot and reasonably talented person, but a human being none the less.
Quote:
Old 01-25-2004, 11:31 PM   #79
eowyngirl14

what's a 'technophobe'???

*im not a dumb blonde* *im not a dumb blonde*

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-25-2004, 11:56 PM   #80
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's not a stupid question. It means he's afraid of technology.
Quote: