Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 PM   #61
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

What are people's opinions on the "Deeps of Time" phrase? I know over in a related thread, "Did Ilúvatar make Melkor Evil", we've been discussing how we think Ilúvatar is outside of time, and the people of Arda are in time.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:36 PM   #62
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

In our universe time is a property of the substance of the universe space time. This time does not exist outside the limits of the universe. I would suppose it it the same in Ea, which is a fictional version of our universe. What ever is ousite has a different time, which may be of an altogether different nature, more different than just being similar to ours but asynchronous.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:26 PM   #63
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
What are people's opinions on the "Deeps of Time" phrase? I know over in a related thread, "Did Ilúvatar make Melkor Evil", we've been discussing how we think Ilúvatar is outside of time, and the people of Arda are in time.
I have always thought the concept of time were a part of Ea, and had no meaning outside it.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:23 PM   #64
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yes. If you think time is universal, and is for Ilúvatar as well, then you get into the question also of how anything came to be. How was Ilúvatar created? How did the first creation begin? Ilúvatar couldn't have created himself . . .

But if you accept another dimension, then everything becomes more reasonable. Things just are; they don't have to be made. Arda is a creation in which many of these rules have been alterred.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 11-21-2002 at 06:24 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:31 PM   #65
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Iluvatar can't possibly be contained by time, if he created it. And if he didn't create it, and he is contained by it, where did it come from?
Old 11-22-2002, 01:38 AM   #66
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The "Deeps of Time" reads to me as though it were a time far from the beginning or end of time analogous to the depths of the ocean. I don't see Iluvatar as creating time expliciting, only being unconstrained by linear time.

I wonder about the "Flame Imperishable". It seems to be something outside of Iluvatar that he uses as a source of power or a tool. It may only be a sort of cosmic forge, but it is not clear.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:44 AM   #67
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Actually, there your reasoning is a little flawed, Wayfarer. I agree with your conclusion, that Ilúvatar is outside of time, but I don't agree with your means of reaching that conclusion. Some things simply are, without being created. If you assume that Ilúvatar's character is righteous and that he hates evil, then it would be stretching things the "Means justify the ends" argument by quite a bit to say that he created evil. Ilúvatar didn't create himself. There has to be another dimension in which things simply are, without having to become. Time could be one of those things.

However, I don't believe it is. Otherwise, Ilúvatar shouldn't be able to have any knowledge of the future. The only explanation in that case for his knowledge of the future is predestination. And I don't think either you or I accept predestination. Besides, if there was predestination, and Ilúvatar's character is righteous, then there shouldn't be any evil. Only free will can explain evil, unless you attack Ilúvatar's character. And the possibility of free will is explained by Ilúvatar's being outside of time.

If any of you readers disagree with this, please move to the "Ilúvatar created Melkor evil?" thread. That is one of the prime things we've been discussing there, although we also get into other things.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:48 AM   #68
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I remember reading something like 'the flame is with Ilúvatar " - I'll try to find it.

To me, I get a picture of "the deeps of time" as almost an ocean, but in a slightly different way; almost as if Ilúvatar created a "Deeps of Time" area and "immersed" Arda in it - so the inhabitants of Arda are "in" time, but Ilúvatar and other parts of His creation are outside of it. Just kind of a murky picture I have in my head - does anyone else have a similar picture? (IOW, it's not a particular time, but it contains all times)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-22-2002, 01:54 AM   #69
Rían

Oh, here it is - the 5th paragraph from the beginning:
Quote:
Yet he [Melkor] found not the Fire, for it is with Ilúvatar.
The way that's worded, it seems like the flame is an integral part of Ilúvatar, and he may bestow it where he wishes (or part of it, because I wouldn't think His portion would be lessened!). In the 3rd parag., it says that the Ainur were kindled with the Flame Imperishable. Also, when Ilúvatar says "Eä! Let these things Be!", he puts the Flame into the heart of the world. Also, in Morgoth's Ring somewhere, he gives some to Varda - I'll try to find that tomorrow.

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2002 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:57 AM   #70
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I did see that but with and within are different. If it resides with him it only means the Ainur can't get to it for their own purposes; that he controls it.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:04 AM   #71
Rían

Yes, they are different words - I wonder if it refers to (hang on folks! Remember Tolkien was Catholic! Really, I'm not trying to "force" things here, it's just a thought that just occurred to me) the Holy Spirit? Hmm, I had never thought of that before. This is a thought-provoking thread. Anyway, it is definitely some type of sustaining force that resided only with Ilúvatar.

Did you see my edits, Cirdan? You posted before I was thru editing. I think you said you didn't have Morgoth's Ring yet, tho - you were hoping to get it for Christmas I hope you get it! I'll find that section tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

Goodnite all! I'm turning in early for once

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2002 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:50 AM   #72
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I thought something along those lines too, RÃ*an, but slightly different. In John it says something very, very similar to "The Flame was with Ilúvatar." "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . ."

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
In the 3rd parag., it says that the Ainur were kindled with the Flame Imperishable. Also, when Ilúvatar says "Eä! Let these things Be!", he puts the Flame into the heart of the world.
In Tolkien's writing, things spring to being through the music; in the Bible, things spring to being through God's speaking. Spells in the Silmarillion are sung (As is the music), miracles in the Bible are done by simple commands (As is God's speaking). The Flame is with Ilúvatar, and I'm filling in a blank, but I think the reason Melkor couldn't find it is because it was Ilúvatar. Ilúvatar was the creating force, and Melkor couldn't find the Flame outside of him. The Flame was with Ilúvatar and the Flame was Ilúvatar.

This, based upon observations, I think is a reasonable hypothesis. What the Word is, I don't precisely know, but I think the Flame is meant to be the same thing.

This hypothesis isn't proven until we find a quote somewhere that says the Flame is Ilúvatar, and I'm not trying to force this idea on anyone. Nevertheless, I agree with you RÃ*an; it is interesting to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I did see that but with and within are different. If it resides with him it only means the Ainur can't get to it for their own purposes; that he controls it.
I don't profess to understand it either. In the Bible, it is possible. For example, there is the fact that God is One God, yet at the same time he is a Trinity. I think I have a better understanding about the Trinity not being contradictory with One God though than about the Word, or the Flame. Also you become one with your wife or husband when you marry, you become one with God through Jesus Christ . . .

I know we're not discussing the Bible. However, considering that Tolkien was a Christian, it could be the same sort of thing.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 11-22-2002 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:23 AM   #73
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I don't think it's important to know what the Flame is exactly. What's important is what it enables Ilúvatar to do: To create forms of life that are independent of himself and with free will. Aule could create the dwarves, but he did not have the Flame and the dwarves to begin with had no will of their own, but were merely puppets. Independent will were given to the dwarves by Ilúvatar alone.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:49 PM   #74
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I don't think it's important to know what the Flame is exactly. What's important is what it enables Ilúvatar to do: To create forms of life that are independent of himself and with free will. Aulë could create the dwarves, but he did not have the Flame and the dwarves to begin with had no will of their own, but were merely puppets. Independent will were given to the dwarves by Ilúvatar alone.
Oh, but it's such fun to brainstorm different possibilities

Yes, the dwarves example is interesting. And I really like Aulë's humility, and his willingness to even destroy his work, and how Ilúvatar then accepts his work and gives it life. But more on that in Chpt. 4!

A little bit from Morgoth's Ring, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, Author's Note #11 (i.e., JRRT, not CRT):
Quote:
This is actually glimpsed in the Ainulindalë , in which reference is made to the 'Flame Imperishable'. This appears to mean the Creative activity of Eru (in some sense distinct from or within Him), by which things could be given a 'real' and independent (through derivitive and created) existence. The Flame Imperishable is sent out from Eru, to dwell in the heart of the world, and the world then Is, on the same plane as the Ainur, and they can enter into it.

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2002 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:59 PM   #75
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
[B]I thought something along those lines too, RÃ*an, but slightly different. In John it says something very, very similar to "The Flame was with Ilúvatar." "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . ."
..... What the Word is, I don't precisely know ...
I've always understood the Word (in the Bible) to be Jesus - ref. John 1:14 - PM me if you want other refs.

Quote:
I know we're not discussing the Bible. However, considering that Tolkien was a Christian, it could be the same sort of thing.
And I can give you the letter reference where he says he's a Christian! RÃ*an, the letter-meister of Entmoot!

Old 11-22-2002, 06:07 PM   #76
Rían

Here's the MR quote about Varda - it's from Myths Transformed II, where JRRT is fiddling around with the idea of the round earth and the sun and moon around before the two trees, etc. :
Quote:
And Melkor was jealous, therefore, of all other brightnesses, and wished to take all light unto himself. Therefore Ilúvatar, at the entering in of the Valar into Eä, added a theme to the Great Song which was not in it at the first Singing, and he called one of the Ainur to him. Now this was that Spirit which afterwards became Varda (and taking female form became the spouse of Manwë). To Varda Ilúvatar said: 'I will give unto thee a parting gift. Thou shalt take into Eä a light that is holy, coming new from Me, unsullied by the thought and lust of Melkor, and with thee it shall enter into Eä, and be in Eä, but not of Eä.'
And then a bit further down, Varda gives a portion of the light into Arië's keeping (the spirit with the Sun), and Melkor tries to take her and gets burned, and after that, light pained him and he hated it. A brief summary, but I got tired of typing long quotes!

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:20 PM   #77
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I never really saw the Flame Imperishable as part of Ilúvatar. I alsways saw it as a sort of tool, one that only Ilúvatar could wield or create.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:07 PM   #78
Rían

Yes, I think I agree with you guys now that it's separate from Ilúvatar, but as Eärniel and Cirdan said, only Ilúvatar can wield/control it.

Old 11-22-2002, 08:46 PM   #79
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The falme imperishable could be the Tolkien version of the holy spirit/ghoast part of the chistian trinity. it appear to serve a similar purpose with spect to the creation of sentient beings.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:35 AM   #80
Rían

Does anyone have any other comments from the supplemental sources?