Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2002, 07:14 AM   #1
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Just to add my bit - yes it is great - my particular faves being the Aragorn and Elrong ar Gilraens grave as aragorn refuses to be a part of his heritage - Aragorn and Haldir when the Elves refuse the ringbearer entry to Lorien - Gandalf giving it the big voice at the council of Elrond ( check out Elronds instant migraine ! ) - it really is a better movie than the Theatrical version and I know im going to become unbearable to live with until December 18th ( whats new I suppose )
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:55 AM   #2
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Gandalf giving it the big voice at the council of Elrond
Okay, my copy hasn't arrived yet, but this I must know. How is the scene played out? Is it similar to Bag End, where Gandalf shouts at Bilbo (his voice goes deeper and fuzzier), the room gets darker, and seems to "creak", as if it is straining to keep some enormous energy inside the walls?

Details. Now.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:03 AM   #3
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Ironparrot:
Oh. And the DTS 6.1 ES track on full blast just rules.
Okay, now I need to know what equipment you were using (HTPC, separate components, display, etc).
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:17 AM   #4
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Anduril - at the council Frodo places the ring on the table and Boromir cant stop himself and reaches for it - elrond cries "no Boromir" and then we hear a voice similsar to Gandalfs at bag end but a lot scarier giving it the old ash naz ubatalook etc and its overlaid with the voice of the ring and the clouds come over and the ground shakes and elrond gets a migraine and its quite a stunning scene very similar to the book.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 11-13-2002, 11:42 AM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The GAFFER????????? THE GREEN DRAGON????? GILDOR AND COMPANY PASSING TO THE WEST????? GOLLUM FOLLWING THE COMPANY DOWN THE ANDUIN?????? TO THE BOTTLE WE GO????? ARAGORN SINGS THE LAY OF LUTHIEN????????

Okay, dammit, I'm about to pee me breeches, I'm so freaking excited to see the Extended Edition! The additions sound like I will be laying aside a lot of my reservations about Fellowship. Cheese and crackers, I may even forgive Jackson! LOL!

So, now all I have to do is:

Get a job. [good things happening this morn in that arena. ERU the job market in this town SUCKS!]
Get a few paychecks ahead.
Buy a DVD player.
Buy the Extended Edition.

It is highly probable that route could have me seeing The Two Towers prior to seeing the Extended Edition Fellowship of the Ring.

However, here's one alternative:
Get my friend Michael to get it and go down to Jan and Mike's and watch it on his 50" flat-screen plasma set with surround sound and all that rot.

One way or another......
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 11-13-2002 at 11:45 AM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:44 AM   #6
Goldberry
Sapling

It's out! I can't wait to get my Xbox, then I will have dvd palyer and I will have my oen copy of the extended version, mwhahaha mwahahha *cough* *splutter* echem......yey!
Goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

forgot to mention a really funny bit concerning legolas, lembas and 2 well pigged out hobbits ! 4 lembas indeed !!
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 11-13-2002, 01:42 PM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I got the cheaper version with the free TTT ticket for $24 at Walmart. They had the bookend one for $49. I'm very happy with it! As IP said, it makes the movie much more complete. Most of the enhanced and added scenes are the neat "feel good" stuff like hobbit and elf lore, Aragorn, and we all love more Boromir and Gandalf! I was glad to pass through all the Orthanc ick, (not added too, so I just skipped it) and Lorien was so much more pleasant, Much more smiling Galadreil. Her character was so "off" in the first release of the movie. Lorien was still too much in the dark (blue silver lighting) I would have liked more golden shimmery tones, but so much more pleasant this time out! YEA!! I am very happy. I agree about the Gandalf reciting the black speech bit! That was WEIRD! Neat weird. I'm gonna watch that several more times! Black Breathelizer, I bet you really enjoyed this too!

Added. I just remembered one "dark" addition I really liked!! Lurtz (I really like Lurtz! Good addition ) licking his blood off of Aragorn's new dagger! What a look! Aiiii!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-13-2002 at 03:34 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 05:33 PM   #9
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

I caved in and got the last one in Blockbuster! Yahoo.

Quote:
Originally posted by viggosbeard
forgot to mention a really funny bit concerning legolas, lembas and 2 well pigged out hobbits ! 4 lembas indeed !!
Is that a burp or a fart he does there? This is discraceful, reducing high art to gutter humour.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:31 PM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

NOW THAT'S A BIT MORE LIKE IT!!!!!!

It's great.........the characters feel so much more rounded, especially Aragorn and Sam.

The Shire looks soo much more like the Shire that I have in my mind.

Yeesh many of my former complaints just disapeared.......PJ I lick the sweat from your furry feet.

Gonna watch it again.......what a way to spend many a lazy Sunday afternoon

All I can say is bugger the initial release of the TT, take me straight to the directors cut

The best bit?...........Haldir smiles........Galadriel really smiles........Galadriel laughs!!!!!! tis beautiful

Sheeooot........so much more to this cut

Throw the original away and buy this version.........sooo much better

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:09 PM   #11
olsonm
Elf Lord

The one thing people haven't mentioned is Celeborn!!! He actually has lines and comes off as quite wise (in a pragmatic sense) just like the book!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:24 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Gimli

I liked seeing Gimli's head. I know the dark scenes in Lorien were the night scenes, but it was too hard to see (bad eyes I guess). Plastic surgeons should run a picture of Lobelia Sacksville-Baggins in their ads. I'm sure it would increase their face-lifts greatly!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:32 PM   #13
Millane
The Dude

geez watched it last night AWESOME!!!
amon hen and balins tomb scenes are magnificent... Lurtz licking aragorns knife hehehehe... yeah Pippin farted the dirty little bugger anyways just a question did anyone else notice at amon hen all the other Fellowship members get heaps of extra footage and it doesnt show gimli at all... i mean it doesnt show him barely at all let alone any brutal axe swings...
mmmmmmm lembas...
Old 11-13-2002, 08:36 PM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Plastic surgeons should run a picture of Lobelia Sacksville-Baggins in their ads. I'm sure it would increase their face-lifts greatly!
Definitely

Isn't she just Lobelia tho'...............wonder why she wasn't brandishing her 'brolly

The interviews (apart from the film) etc are worth the cash alone

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, I know this may be a VERY silly question, but was the Extended Edition also released on VHS?

Prolly not.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:00 PM   #16
olsonm
Elf Lord

Yes. It even has one special feature: "A day in the life of a Hobbit."
Old 11-13-2002, 11:54 PM   #17
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Yes. It even has one special feature: "A day in the life of a Hobbit."
Of course it's out in VHS, otherwise I couldn't have seen it since I refuse to buy a DVD player yet.
I'm going to be watching the movie so much I don't have time for interviews and extra stuff.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:13 AM   #18
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Stupid Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, the Extended Edition hasn't trickled its way down to my neck of the woods. I'm giving the local Wal-Mart until Friday to get it, then I'm going out of town. Perhaps I should visit the Venting Thread...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:41 AM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"Is that a burp or a fart he does there? This is discraceful, reducing high art to gutter humour."
It's not like that at all.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:43 AM   #20
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
It's not like that at all.
I know, it's neither high art nor gutter humour. Still not sure which it is, though.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote