Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 PM   #61
azalea
Long lost mooter

samwiselvr, one thing about the chairs, unfortunately money is allotted by the school board for all different purposes and can only be spent in that area. So if there is a certain amount budgeted for school furniture, the county has to make due with what they can afford to spend that money on, but it can ONLY be spent on school furniture. Just wanted to clarify that. It would make sense to allot the money differently, though.

Your point about the teachers complaining is absolutely right! First of all, although teachers probably deserve to make more in general, they do get very good vacation time, so that's why I never felt the need to complain about making less. However, more and more systems have year round schools, in which case there is a lot less vacation time, and the teachers should be paid accordingly.
Secondly, teachers shouldn't be complaining about it at ALL to students! That's a waste of class time AND is very unprofessional. It's not something the students should have to worry about, their focus is on their own education. The only exception I can see is a discussion about it in a current events class if there is something relevant in the news, or in a political issues class.

SP, that's what happened to me in high school, I tested very well but made mediocre to poor grades because the classes were either boring or poorly taught. I lost my motivation and interest, and didn't think a grade was important enough to make me spend my time on homework. I also had teachers who just assigned things and gave no guidance whatsoever about HOW to do things. This happened a LOT. Basically, they weren't teaching, just assigning things and grading them. Teachers need to be passionate about the subjects they teach, and inspire the students to become excited as well, not just disseminate info with the goal of taking a test. The goal should be the learning itself, and if that were the case the students should all do very well, aside from the occasional student w/ a learning problem or emotional problem.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:10 AM   #62
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
also had teachers who just assigned things and gave no guidance whatsoever about HOW to do things.
Exactly, and it's actually worse in classes that you don't understand (like, algebra, for me. I'm not a great abstract thinker). I have to take a teacher next year who cannot teach, and I know this because I've had her before. She makes us copy notes out of the book, gives us no other examples, and can't teach us without her manual. You go in for help and she gives you the answers, which may seem nice, but not when you have to take a test.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:15 AM   #63
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've had that. My seventh form (final year of High School) biology teacher was a Dean, and she was also completing her Masters, so she had no time for us. Basically the lesson would involve her giving a chapter to read, then she'd bugger off to her office to do her homework/thesis. That was it. It used to make me so mad!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:57 AM   #64
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, It seemed to me that math teachers were the worst. The one subject that really needs a little illumination, but all I got was monotone droning with an overhead projector. Man, a math teacher could put you to sleep in less than 5. I'm sure there are good ones, but I never saw them.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:24 PM   #65
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
samwiselvr, one thing about the chairs, unfortunately money is allotted by the school board for all different purposes and can only be spent in that area. So if there is a certain amount budgeted for school furniture, the county has to make due with what they can afford to spend that money on, but it can ONLY be spent on school furniture. Just wanted to clarify that. It would make sense to allot the money differently, though.
well, at least they should have used the money on new desks. you learn while sitting at the desks, but not in a chair in the office!our desks or owfull! they have wholes and writhing and all sorts of stuff in them (not to mention the gum stuck on the bottem) and it dosn't make that much of a diffrense, but i would still rather have new desks then see new chairs in the office.

and would markers be counted as furnicher? i really dout it, but they ARE making us buy them 2 makers this year, and to get two markers, you have to buy a whole pack of markers! me and my mommy are evil! we bought the cheapest ones that we could find at the 1$ tree! hehe, i love being cheap!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:31 PM   #66
azalea
Long lost mooter

And while they're at it, why not take the first day of school to educate kids a little on WHY they shouldn't vandalize desks, etc. Hey they could even be given an incentive, like if no desks are vandalized, it'll save such and such amount of money which we will spend on [something really cool] for the students! And I like the idea someone had in an earlier post of students having some responsibilities for the upkeep of the school -- I think it would cut down a LOT on vandalism.

No, I wouldn't consider markers furniture.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:04 PM   #67
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
And while they're at it, why not take the first day of school to educate kids a little on WHY they shouldn't vandalize desks, etc. Hey they could even be given an incentive, like if no desks are vandalized, it'll save such and such amount of money which we will spend on [something really cool] for the students! And I like the idea someone had in an earlier post of students having some responsibilities for the upkeep of the school -- I think it would cut down a LOT on vandalism.
ALL THAT THEY DO THE FIRST DAY IS GO OVER THE RULES!!! THE FIRST DAY IS ONLEY FOR RULES! quite pointless though, it dosn't help at all! sorry if that sounded rude or anything like that, but it is true.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote