Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2003, 05:53 PM   #61
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

if anything should be made into a film from the silmarillion i believe it should be the story of turin and of the battle of sudden flame i really want to see fingolfin and melkor battle it out
Old 01-27-2003, 07:32 AM   #62
Agburanar
Elf Lord

There is a very easy response to this question. It goes:

No.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:03 AM   #63
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

I have yet ANOTHER idea for filming the Silmarillion! I listened to an audio tape this very day of Christopher Tolkien reading the story of Beren and Luthien and as he read the text and lines of course my imagination was envisioning everything he was saying. My thougt is what if the film was narrated or rather the story the book itself was read from the book and the events happened before our eyes while the narration/reading covered it. It's odd and different but just one idea of many.

By the way how on earth do we potray the Valar and Maiar? Of course we could cut them out like good ol' Tom Bombadil and just have Olorin do a musical number on how he will be around till the war of the ring, but I think the wrath of the fans would be as terrible as Feanor's over the silmarils. lol.

In fact to lighten things up I will make comic occurences in ME in the time of Silmarillion. And before you beg public hanging to be legalized remember it's only a book as I am just a mortal lol.

Olorin does song and dance number "Gandalf and the Ring" to the tune of "Putting on the Ritz".

Feanor while he still has the Silmarils impresses the Valar with his juggling skill. And to those who worry about the harm of the fair things he says calmly " Oh!Unbreakable Glass!"

sauron tells morgoth his aspirations to become a dark lord. he mutters ideas about making a master ring to rule all those stupid middle earthlings instead of using massive force. morgoth proceeds to glance at him several times in silence and after a few minutes none save the nearest balrogs heard "your such a dork."

Turin meets Glaurung and is AMAZED at the size and stature of the creature. When the creature begins to speak the mortal is even more amazed. "what," he says "I thought talking dragons were only in fairy tales!!!"

Thingol is FURIOUS that Beren DARES to ask for the hand of Luthien. Beren in turn is later furious that a wolf DARES to take the hand of Beren!

Huan can only speak three times. He summed it up in three great sentences: "There are three things only you'll need to know: (1) Go in DISGUISE to morgoth (2) I'll lead you to Beren (3) I'm hungry"

WWF originated from the Silmarillion concerning the great battle of Huan and wolf-sauron. It stands for Wolf Wrestling Federation.

LOL..I hope you find this to your tastes...and yes Tolkien I'm just kidding.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:42 AM   #64
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Treebeard

OH! have some good humor! I do! LOL

I think it would be neat to show ents in the Silmarillion since they began in that time. I would show a lot of the Valar.

Old 02-26-2003, 04:37 PM   #65
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Of course when he said that, I'm assuming, we didn't have the kind of digital power we have today. Last YEAR we didn't have as much digital control as we have today.

I mean look at Final Fantasy, it wasn't a GREAT movie, but watching the previews I had no idea that it was supposed to be digital.

I think it could be done, I just don't think many people would be happy with it because of all the things that were described so well in the books that it drew a picture in your head of what it should look like... But then the people who make the movie decide that it would be so much BETTER if they changed this or that just a bit... And then after that bit a little more would have to be changed it fit in... And more.

*shrug* can it be done? Yes.

Can it be done well? I think so, but it would be hard and you would have to find some one who actually wanted to make the Sil and not "the sil", if you know what I mean.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:10 PM   #66
azalea
Long lost mooter

There are some scenes in there that I would LOVE to see live on screen. I could see three movies dramatizing the major parts/ events: The Ainulindale through ch. 12, ch. 13 through Beren and Luthien, then the rest to the end. But I agree -- it should only be done by someone who would do it justice and stay as true to the text as possible.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:02 AM   #67
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

What do you think John Rhys Davies as Hurin? (if you forget the whole dwarf thing). He's lost weight and he has deep voice. He has a lot of range and is not to old.

Chris Lee is another possibility He is tall and proud to be a lord of men

Jude Law as Maeglin? Just ideas.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:57 PM   #68
Ruinel
Banned

So many of us love The Sil (not the sil) that if a movie were actually made I feel most of us would be highly disappointed. What would I see taken out without much protest? What would I not miss? My answer is: none and none. Every word, every chapter (even The Creation by Eru) would be sorely missed.

Even with the technology available today, or even in 10 years, no movie made about The Sil could be to my satisfaction. (Besides, who would play Finrod Felegund? NO human is hot enough to play his character.)

Oh, yes, by the way, I was actually happy that the part about Tom Bombodil was NOT in FotR movie. *draws Elven sword, holds up shield and waits for the attack*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:24 PM   #69
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

For the full story I say don't do it.

There is just way to many gaps in the story that work in the book but no way on film, and I would hate to see other people try to fill in those gaps.

Of Beren and Luthien, Of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Of Turin Turambar, and Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin would make great movies as long as they stuck to the story.

Of Turin Turambar would be my first choice. The ending of that story with the leaves falling as Turin throws himself onto his sword. You could even have it begin with Hurin meeting Morwen at the grave, then the story be a flashback of Hurin's memory.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote