Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2002, 05:03 PM   #61
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
side note - I hate the fact that they show Gandalf in close up on the trailer. It ruins it for the people that haven't read LotR. Unless most people just think it's just an image or something.
Yeah, that pisses me off as well. I mean, sure, most of the people who are going to see it already know about Gandalf, but it ruins it for those who haven't read the book. The scene where Gandalf comes back as Gandalf the White is, IMO, one of the most important scenes in the book! And I don't think I need to get into detail here about how much I disliked the movie!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:05 PM   #62
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
He also made Frodo have 3 ridiculous "death" scenes.
Frodo only had 2 'death' scenes. Maybe you're thinking of Sam's near drowning?
Old 08-05-2002, 05:12 PM   #63
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Frodo only had 2 'death' scenes. Maybe you're thinking of Sam's near drowning?
Well I was including Weathertop as being different from The Ford scene. I just think they were over the top. The stop and go action of the zoom ins and all that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-05-2002 at 05:15 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM   #64
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I mean, sure, most of the people who are going to see it already know about Gandalf, but it ruins it for those who haven't read the book.
Most people needed to be convinced that Gandalf was really dead in the first place so they aren't having anything ruined. On the contrary, non-readers who find out that Gandalf returns don't seem spoiled but more eager to see the movie, as they already suspected that he was coming back. The only people that seem angry about it are people who spent time convincing non-readers that Gandalf was dead.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:24 PM   #65
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well I was including Weathertop as being different from The Ford scene.
That scene cannot be accurately described as a 'death' scene, because no one thought Frodo was dead.

As for the real 'death' scenes, I think the problem was PJ's mixing of slow and regular motion. I didn't mind it but for some it was just too much.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:42 PM   #66
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:

Why?? just because you liked the movie doesn't mean that I did. I thought it was an okay movie. I'm not going to praise jackson just because he turned LotR into a movie. I think it could have been a lot better. I've said a bunch of gthings that I didn't like about the movie when it first came out. The two main problems I had - I hated Arwen being at the Ford and I hated Pippin and Merry. Pippin and Merry were my favorite characters in the book and he turned them into walking comic relief. He also made Frodo have 3 ridiculous "death" scenes.

You don't have to accept my opinion of the movie- but you should at least respect my opinion.

And just because I haven't made a LotR movie or any movie - doesn't mean I have to like it. Your argument makes no sense on why I shouldn't state my opinions or feelings concerning the movie. Do you like every movie that has ever come out????
i am sorry gersydevil, it is just that people nead to prase him some, i understand your fillings that he did mess up, but everyone is complaning and everything, just because he tried his hardest, and did the best he did, and is not perfect. there are places that i would like to change allso, but then again, that is true with every movie AND book! like i would like to shange some things in lord of the rings, mostly just to a silly perpose, but i still would, even though it was written origanly, i would still like to change it! it gets me mad whene people just ceep on yelling at him! and as it has been said before, that the movie is pj's interpitation, and what he thought about it! so respect that to, because you wont people to respect your opinions, and the movie was based around pj's opinions, he THOUGHT that there should be more comody, he THOUGHT that there should be a love story in it, those were his opinions! i complane about the movie to, but i try to complament him as much as posable, even though it is true that i think that he messed up on sam ect. but he did do a good job with his costume ect.

6 hourse and 19 min.!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:57 PM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
The only people that seem angry about it are people who spent time convincing non-readers that Gandalf was dead.
Perhaps. However, when I read it, I was the ONLY one to read it within my circle of friends. I had no idea about Gandalf, and no one teasing me about him with hints about his "rebirth". Thus, when he came back into the story, I was genuinely surprised - I wasn't expecting it at all. And I can still remember that sense of nervousness in Fangorn, and thinking that it was Saruman out to trick Aragorn et al. And then when it turned out to be one of my favourite characters apparently back from the dead! And I can't help but feel that the "newbies" are going to lose out on the experience - which they probably would have anyway (if PJ hadn't put Gandalf the White in the trailer), since the movie phenomenon is so big anyway. *sigh*
Old 08-05-2002, 06:03 PM   #68
olsonm
Elf Lord

I knew that Gandalf was coming back when I read the book because he was on the cover of my ROTK. It doesn't effect the impact of his return.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:05 PM   #69
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Says you.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #70
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Says you.
Knows me.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:10 PM   #71
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I could insert a longwinded comment focussing upon my sense of surprise versus yours, and which one is better, but I think this will suffice:

""
Old 08-05-2002, 06:11 PM   #72
olsonm
Elf Lord

Surprise is overrated.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:16 PM   #73
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
I knew that Gandalf was coming back when I read the book because he was on the cover of my ROTK. It doesn't effect the impact of his return.
My copy didn't have Gandalf the White on the cover and when I read it - I didn't know anyone that had.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #74
olsonm
Elf Lord

The Ballantine paperback that came out a couple years ago. It has a picture of Gandalf and Pippin riding to Minas Tirith. I think it's a Ted Naismith painting but I don't know for sure. It says "An epic motion picture trilogy coming soon from new line cinema" across the top. That's how I first heard of the movie.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:29 PM   #75
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008

it gets me mad whene people just ceep on yelling at him! and as it has been said before, that the movie is pj's interpitation, and what he thought about it! so respect that to, because you wont people to respect your opinions, and the movie was based around pj's opinions, he THOUGHT that there should be more comody, he THOUGHT that there should be a love story in it, those were his opinions! i complane about the movie to, but i try to complament him as much as posable, even though it is true that i think that he messed up on sam ect. but he did do a good job with his costume ect.

6 hourse and 19 min.!
It got me upset when people (when the movie first came out) were just saying how the movie was so great and defending everything and screaming that Jackson was above criticism because he made LotR into a movie.

I respect his "opinion" on the movie. However - his interpretation of the book isn't an opinion though. He changed it to make it more palatible for non-LotR fans. I'll never accept the changes made to Flight to the Ford or to Pippin and Merry. I also had a problem with Gandalf -because he came off as a dunce too (trying to push the Gates of Moria inward - when he knew they pushed outward, bumbing his head repeatedly). I just don't think the movie lived up to LotR. The movie itself is good - but it's not great and if you compare it to LotR I think it's only fair. It has a lot of action. Action after action sequence. The Black Riders - instead of relying on their ability to use fear against people, they were turned into action charaters. What was the deal with the Black Rider chopping off the hobbit's head on the way to the Shire?

And I actually think he did Sam pretty well. I think that Sam should have come off more that he worked for Frodo though. As I said from December to March - the movie was a sell out to LotR fans. Except for the scenerary - the rest had a lot to be desired. The battle scenes were good - but hardly any of them happened. He had to increase the battle scenes a 100 fold, whereas the excitement and tension builds up over time in the books. The movie was one chase scene after another. One of my friends, who hadn't read the book, compared it to Fast and Furious.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-05-2002 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:35 PM   #76
BeardofPants
the Shrike

JD, you must have known that the movie would come up lacking. It's an adaption for eru's sake, NOT the real McCoy. If you're gonna hate it, hate it for more valid reasons. Hate it, cos it's a terrible movie, NOT a terrible adaption - LOTR and all that hype aside. Still, it's not as terrible as Dungeons and Dragons...

Now, where's a place I can go, so I can practice what I preach?
Old 08-05-2002, 06:44 PM   #77
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
JD, you must have known that the movie would come up lacking. It's an adaption for eru's sake, NOT the real McCoy. If you're gonna hate it, hate it for more valid reasons. Hate it, cos it's a terrible movie, NOT a terrible adaption - LOTR and all that hype aside. Still, it's not as terrible as Dungeons and Dragons...
I refused to see D&D because it looked like a crappy movie.

I was expecting a little bit closer to the book considering how much Jackson went on and on about how it was going to stay faithful to the book. Of course I expected some changes. There are things that I would have left out too - such as Tom Bombadil. Also - having Arwen in Glorfindel's place at the Ford was fine - but she didn't have to diminish Aragorn and take ALL of Frodo's best lines. Not to mention that some of the best lines in the book were left out in that scene.

I don't think it's a terrible movie. I don't think it's a great movie - as LotR or standing alone. And I'm sorry - but watching Pippin and Merry is just painful. I really wish DVDs allowed me to cut out characters.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-05-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:49 PM   #78
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I don't think it's a terrible movie. I don't think it's a great movie - as LotR or standing alone.
You don't think it was terrible?! What kind of anti-fan do you call yourself? I do. I must admit though, a lot of it is swayed by that blasted score.

Quote:
And I'm sorry - but watching Pippin and Merry is just painful. I really wish DVDs allowed me to cut out characters.
Not quite as bad as I would imagine a hernia to feel like, but almost. I kept thinking they were trying to be Laurel and Hardy or something!

Oh, and I was bloody dragged to the D & D feature. Argh! As if I'd waste my money on garbage like that!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-05-2002 at 06:50 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:14 PM   #79
jerseydevil

Nazgul

The thing is - I still plan on seeing Two Towers at 12:00am on December 18th (my sister's b-day). And I still plan on getting the DVD that comes out this week and the DVD Boxed Set that comes out in November.

I'm just going to try not expecting too much from The Two Towers. Maybe that'll help me have less of a negative reaction to it once it comes out. Trying to keep an open mind now that I've seen Fellowship - but it's hard.

BTW BoP - my favorite musical score in the movie - and one of the few I actually remember - is during the scene where they do the fly in over and under Isengard. That's still my favorite scene in terms of camera shot as well.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-05-2002, 10:10 PM   #80
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think that Gandalf in the trailer is wrong for people who havn't read the book, but for me, I loved seeing Gandalf the White. I admit, when reading the book for the first time that I skipped ahead to check if he lived!
I loved LOTR movie, but I'm not sure if it's the best movie I've seen, I'll have to wait till December 2003 to judge that. I do think there were some things done wrong in the movie, but they have already been mentioned. But I respect people's opinions who don't like the movie - if they have valid reason. We don't have to praise him with great praise just because he did this movie.