FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2000, 03:50 AM   #61
bmilder

Florida

I think Gore is being the most honest and reasonable about all
this. He wants hand recounts in some counties where there were
irregularities. Hand recounts are permissible under Florida law,
and today the Florida Supreme Court said that the hand recounts
were ok. And then Gore went a step further: he said that, if it would make George W. Bush feel
better, he would consent to recounting the entire state by hand
and then accepting whatever result that produced as final

. Bush rejected it. What is he afraid
of? He would end up being a phony president, losing the popular
vote and only winning the Electoral College because of partistan
state officials, confusing ballots, and other technicalities.
The whole basis of Bush's lawsuit was that a hand recount in
some counties was unconstitutional because it wasn't being done
in other counties. This is incredibly hypocritical because <!
--EZCODE ITALIC START--> he had the opportunity to request
a hand recount in Republican counties if he wanted to
<!--
EZCODE ITALIC END-->. And now Gore is offering to let the whole
state do a hand recount. How is
Gore
doing something wrong?
<
br>
I think Gore's position is completely rational and sane.
He's not calling for the abolition of the Electoral College.
In fact he said he'll abide by the Electoral College <!--EZCODE
ITALIC START--> which is more than Bush ever did<!--EZCODE
ITALIC END-->. In fact, prior to the election, when everyone
thought Bush would win the popular vote and Gore would win the
electoral vote, Bush cronies everywhere were quoted as saying
how they would challenge the legitimacy of Gore's victory and
would try to persuade the electors to switch their votes. But
here we are in the opposite situation and Gore is being completely
dignified, rational, and presidential about it. The thing is,
Gore won the Electoral College too.

Accuracy is much
more important than speed. The new president isn't sworn in until
January, we have plenty of time. If, by some technically, Dubya
becomes the next president, I'm sure we'll see a Gore-Bush rematch
in 2004.

Old 11-17-2000, 04:14 AM   #62
Johnny Lurker

Hmmmm...

Perhaps you should look at some of Bush's reasons for declining
hand recounts (as opposed to machine recounts) in places like
Idaho.

Or not. I don't care.

Old 11-17-2000, 07:24 PM   #63
Darth Tater

Re: Hmmmm...

I didn't think you were all stoopid, but i guess you are! There's a thread for discussing the elections! Do that there!

Old 11-17-2000, 09:44 PM   #64
Johnny Lurker

Be careful who you're calling stupid.

pub2.ezboard.com/fbenjami...c&index=59

Old 11-17-2000, 11:22 PM   #65
captain Tarpols

ok ben, why did you change the title?

Old 11-18-2000, 03:07 AM   #66
Darth Tater

Because I called him stoopid

Old 11-18-2000, 07:35 PM   #67
bmilder

New title

Yeah since most of the discussion already happened here it seems silly to suddenly move to a new thread. It's about the election anyway, even though this started out as an Entmoot election topic.

Old 11-22-2000, 11:52 PM   #68
Johnny Lurker

So Miami-Dade decides to scratch the hand count...

... and GoreCo gets all pissed off.

The only thing that would make sense right now is a state recount.

Old 11-23-2000, 03:01 AM   #69
gdl96

Re: So Miami-Dade decides to scratch the hand count...

Quote:
Sore
Loserman
No. Every vote counts, right? Or at least its supposed to. If Bush were in Gore's position, he would do the same.

Old 11-23-2000, 04:00 AM   #70
captain Tarpols

hmm i'm doing an election update! I'm doing this even though everyone already knows whats going on! Please stand by for many spelling errors!

Miami-dade county has stoped its recount GASP!!!
Cheny had a heart attack, and for some weird reason, bush denied it. GASP!!!
they are now counting dimpled and pregnant chads!
hmm mwhat else can i think of that you already know..... umm the re-counts have to be in by sunday or monday morning......Bush has boils on his face...HMM, they noth don't seem to be able to handle stress .
ok, i could just rehash some more stuff, but i have to go to sleep! :P I'm also trying to give this thread life!

Old 11-23-2000, 05:20 AM   #71
arynetrek

go to the "what has america become?" thread & find the link to How the Grinch Stole the Election... :lol:

CT - Bush denied that Cheney had a heart attack? why would he do something like that? he's sure couldn't cover it up...

aryne *

Old 11-23-2000, 05:24 AM   #72
Johnny Lurker

Probably because the doctor told HIM...

... that it wasn't a heart attack. It was borderline, anyways... they changed the definition of "heart attack" a year ago or something.

Old 11-26-2000, 08:57 PM   #73
Gilthalion

Re: Florida

Just getting around to looking at this thread again...

In response to bmilder's post:

I think Gore is being the most honest and reasonable about all this.

:lol:

He wants hand recounts in some counties where there were irregularities. Hand recounts are permissible under Florida law, and today the Florida Supreme Court said that the hand recounts were ok.

There were no irregularities demonstrated.

None.

There are no claims of irregularities so much as alleged whereby hand recounts are permitted such as Act of God, tabulation error, or vote fraud. Confusion and negligence on the part of the voters doesn't count.

Furthermore, I again urge you city-folk to go back and study why we have a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC! There are separations of powers between the judiciary, the legislative, and executive branches that are vital to a free society. The Florida Supremes have taken over the executive, and legislative functions of that state's government without even the pretext of overruling the circuit court's decision. They just ignored it and ruled by fiat, changing the rules of the election after the fact.

This is why SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE! the US Supremes are going to have to put them in their place.

Gore went a step further: he said that, if it would make George W. Bush feel better, he would consent to recounting the entire state by hand...

Who orders this? Again, this is a position that has nothing to do with existing laws, but simply is making up new rules as you go. Neither Gore nor Bush have authority to do this. It is a hollow offer and Gore knew it.

Bush rejected it. What is he afraid of? He would end up being a phony president, losing the popular vote and only winning the Electoral College because of partistan state officials, confusing ballots, and other technicalities.

If Bush is afraid of anything here, it is the kind of villany which the Gore forces have engaged in at every step of this slimy process. 40% of the Florida vote comes from those Democrat punch card counties. Democrat Trial Lawyers have made a cottage industry out of overturning close elections with selective recounts of punch card precincts.

AND I'M ABOUT READY TO START CUSSING!!! The STATES elect the President. This is a Republic!!!!! Bush won more popular votes than Bill Clinton ever did. He will hardly be a "phoney president" for having won the majority of the states of this union.

As for partisan state officials, I wish everyone from Gore on down would grow up and realize that EVERY OFFICIAL INVOLVED IS PARTISAN!!!!

You want non-partisan, swim to Cuba or dig to China. The partisanship balances out and that's the best you can hope for.

The whole basis of Bush's lawsuit was that a hand recount in some counties was unconstitutional because it wasn't being done in other counties. This is incredibly hypocritical because he had the opportunity to request a hand recount in Republican counties if he wanted to. And now Gore is offering to let the whole state do a hand recount. How is Gore doing something wrong?

This is a superficial and incomplete understanding of the issues which Bush is representing before the SCOTUS and the 11th District courts. There is nothing at all hypocritical about the unchanging, unwavering position which he has taken all along. And again, Gore has no authority, nor does anyone else, to change the rules of the contest after the fact. PERIOD. This is a false offer.

when everyone thought Bush would win the popular vote and Gore would win the electoral vote, Bush cronies everywhere were quoted as saying how they would challenge the legitimacy of Gore's victory and would try to persuade the electors to switch their votes. But here we are in the opposite situation and Gore is being completely dignified, rational, and presidential about it. The thing is, Gore won the Electoral College too.

I may be wrong about this, but I NEVER ONCE SAW an attributed source in any publication that could definitively attribute this to ANY "Bush cronies." Smells like disinformation to me. And Gore took his sweet time denouncing the ONGOING attempt to intimidate Electors. He wanted to see if the public would stand for it first. This is a slim "what if" to try to justify the Goron's attempts to overturn this election.

However, we well know that Gore's team was ready to go election busting on Election Day and put their plan into motion before the votes were even counted.

Gore is not rational. He is rationalizing.

And Gore has not won the Electoral College by any measure whatsoever.

Accuracy is much more important than speed. The new president isn't sworn in until January, we have plenty of time.

There comes a point of diminishing returns. Especially when the "accuracy" depends on deciding whether or not an indentation in a piece of paper is a "vote."

If you go back through and attempt to glean votes out of the LEGALLY DISCARDED VOTES in 40% of Florida's electorate, you disenfranchise the other 60%. Not to mention nearly 100 million other Americans, too. There is NO justification for this selective, subjective, hand recount of machine ballots.

. If, by some technically, Dubya becomes the next president, I'm sure we'll see a Gore-Bush rematch in 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised. But don't be surprised either if Bush has to face a hard fight from McCain in the primaries...

For what it is worth,

Old 12-01-2000, 04:52 AM   #74
arynetrek

Re: so much for voting

Bush is being an idiot. Gore is being a bigger idiot.

someone remind me why i voted for anyone in this election...

Gil, post as many "ha! aryne was wrong!" threads as you want...

aryne *

Old 12-01-2000, 03:52 PM   #75
Gilthalion

Actually...

...I've got to agree with that last post!

Bush OUGHT to be reassuring the Market! Duh!