Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #61
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
So is it literally no one sings of this person ever, or just no one sings of this person in relation to the Ring?

Like, did the Barrow-wight touch it, or did one of the Council of Elrond (like Boromir), or did Galadriel touch it? Gandalf, I don't think, ever touched it. Did Shelob touch it?
No one sings in relation to the ring. The inferred person could actually be one of those that have already been named. I just need the point in time when this "handling" occurred.

I wish I had my books handy. I'd like to check the narrative when Frodo was captured. The Barrow-wight might actually have handled it, although he is not the one I am thinking of.

If it does turn out to be inferred that the wight handled the ring, then honorable mention to Midge for guessing him.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 AM   #62
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
Dwarves?

Male and female (opposites) are indistinguishable to other races
yes! Sorry it took me so long to get back here (finals take away much of my mooting time)
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #63
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:
No one sings in relation to the ring. The inferred person could actually be one of those that have already been named. I just need the point in time when this "handling" occurred.
My guess was actually Deagol.

Deagol handled the ring. He found it in the River and died minutes later (at the hand of Smeagol). Deagol is relatively unknown and I have never heard a song about him.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #64
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
My guess was actually Deagol.

Deagol handled the ring. He found it in the River and died minutes later (at the hand of Smeagol). Deagol is relatively unknown and I have never heard a song about him.
While Deagol is relatively unknown, he is most definitely named. He is not who I am thinking of.

You guys are probably gonna wanna kill me for this one, but we can still have some fun with it. The unknown person handled the ring during Frodo's tenure of possession. Go with that, and if more clues are needed I will provide them.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #65
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Whoever put the ring on the chain after the Nazgul at the fords?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #66
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Whoever put the ring on the chain after the Nazgul at the fords?
Yes! That's the guy. Nice bit of deduction, Midge.

So, who do y'all think took the ring from the unconscious Frodo's pocket, and strung it through the chain?

I think it probably was Gandalf. I doubt Elrond would have touched it, and Gandalf had already played with it some at Bag End. Sam would have, but I don't think that the Wise would have wanted to chance the ring ensnaring anyone else by getting him to pick Frodo's pocket.

Last edited by Keith K : 05-14-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #67
Keith K
Elf Lord

Here's another one for y'all to guess...

A milestone am I, and I sit in the middle,
where three come together to create this riddle.

Good luck, riddlers!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #68
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post

Good luck, riddlers!
Is it one of the trolls in the Hobbit, possibly William? They are a milestone for the hobbits in LOTR, and there are three of them: William, Bert, and Tom.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #69
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I thought they were the three Mountains that were over Moria - one moment while I look up their names...

Elvish: Caradhras, Celebdil and Fanuidhol
Dwarves:Barazinbar, Zirakzigil and Bundushathur
Westron: Redhorn, Silvertine and Cloudyhead

I'm not sure how well this fits IF Gimli was listing them in order, because the milestone for the Nine Walkers was definitely Caradhras and it's first.

HOWEVER, Zirakzigil/Silvertine/Celebdil (the one that is listed in the middle of those) IS the mountain upon which Gandalf fought the Balrog. It was there that he threw down the Balrog and "strayed out of thought and time" - and also where he was "sent back" as the White to finish his task.

If he were not sent back, Middle-Earth probably would have fallen into the hands of Sauron. Definitely a milestone.

Maybe I should write an essay on "Why Gandalf is the Whole Reason Middle-Earth Survived the War of the Ring"... Because there are PLENTY of them.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #70
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Yes! That's the guy. Nice bit of deduction, Midge.

So, who do y'all think took the ring from the unconscious Frodo's pocket, and strung it through the chain?

I think it probably was Gandalf. I doubt Elrond would have touched it, and Gandalf had already played with it some at Bag End. Sam would have, but I don't think that the Wise would have wanted to chance the ring ensnaring anyone else by getting him to pick Frodo's pocket.
For some reason, I always pictured it being some kind of nurse-elf, who is so innocent and pure that the ring would only have been an ordinary object, sort of like it was with Tom Bombadil. Heavens, they had three days to get that ring on the chain. I bet they had some kind of gladiator stadium where the BRAVEST elves came out in a haz-mat type of suit, super-protective gloves and a gas mask and used tongs and sticks and flipping techniques to get it on the chain. They had to know how important it was. The person to get it on was the Champion of Rivendell for a year or something SWEET like that. Of course only Elves could compete. Men and Dwarves were too susceptible to the Ring's powers, and the Hobbits at Rivendell either had too much exposure or were being treated for trauma.

The uniforms probably looked like this:
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/te...azmat_suit.jpg, only with pretty leaf or star decorations.

edit: I tried to insert an image, but it says "[img] code is OFF", so I guess I can't. Oh, well, click on the link.

Last edited by Midge : 05-15-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #71
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Here's a little quick one:

I'm at the end of my range, the last horn blowing.
Okay. So - 'Range' doesn't refer to a Ranger, arrows, or mountains, 'horn' and 'blowing' isn't actually talking about a horn and even though educated Rohirrim would know the answer, it has nothing to do with Rohan.

Okay - Here are my vague, unexplainable guesses (I have two):

1. For some reason, I keep leaning toward Aragorn and the Passing of the Grey Company through Dunharrow, which goes through the Starkhorn mountain. Ghosts just seem to "blow" by default. Not sure about how that's the end of a range, unless it's something to do with how far the Dead were willing to go.

2. The other guess is having to do with the Hornblowers of the Shire. They manufactured pipe weed and there would certainly be a lot of "blowing" of smoke rings and such. However, I have an issue with the "end of my range" thing again.

This riddle is making me CRAZY!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #72
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Okay. So - 'Range' doesn't refer to a Ranger, arrows, or mountains, 'horn' and 'blowing' isn't actually talking about a horn and even though educated Rohirrim would know the answer, it has nothing to do with Rohan.

Okay - Here are my vague, unexplainable guesses (I have two):

1. For some reason, I keep leaning toward Aragorn and the Passing of the Grey Company through Dunharrow, which goes through the Starkhorn mountain. Ghosts just seem to "blow" by default. Not sure about how that's the end of a range, unless it's something to do with how far the Dead were willing to go.

2. The other guess is having to do with the Hornblowers of the Shire. They manufactured pipe weed and there would certainly be a lot of "blowing" of smoke rings and such. However, I have an issue with the "end of my range" thing again.

This riddle is making me CRAZY!
Oh! I just love #2. I could make a pretty good riddle out of that pun you just came up with.

This riddle was nearly solved when the guessing suddenly stopped. By that time the riddlers of Entmoot had figured out that the range thing and the horn thing did in fact refer to mountains.

At least I had thought that y'all had gotten that far. Wilhelm had translated "horn" as ras, but guessed the wrong mountain. So, are there any other "ranges" besides the White Mountain Range? Yep. There are indeed. Perhaps one of these has a mountain at one end called the "last horn"? The blowing part can be considered wind, but I mainly needed it for poetic purposes. (also, to put y'all in a bit of misdirection and drive Midge crazy).

Sorry if there was confusion that mountain 'ranges' were nixed as a possible solution.

So, anyone wanna tell me where in Middle Earth the solution to this riddle lies? Remember, I did say that educated Rohirrim would know the answer. That should narrow it down for ya!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #73
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Is it one of the trolls in the Hobbit, possibly William? They are a milestone for the hobbits in LOTR, and there are three of them: William, Bert, and Tom.
Nice guess, as these trolls are true stones! However, it is not these, or any other trolls.

Thanks for participating, EllethV! Please try again.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #74
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
I thought they were the three Mountains that were over Moria - one moment while I look up their names...

Elvish: Caradhras, Celebdil and Fanuidhol
Dwarves:Barazinbar, Zirakzigil and Bundushathur
Westron: Redhorn, Silvertine and Cloudyhead

I'm not sure how well this fits IF Gimli was listing them in order, because the milestone for the Nine Walkers was definitely Caradhras and it's first.

HOWEVER, Zirakzigil/Silvertine/Celebdil (the one that is listed in the middle of those) IS the mountain upon which Gandalf fought the Balrog. It was there that he threw down the Balrog and "strayed out of thought and time" - and also where he was "sent back" as the White to finish his task.

If he were not sent back, Middle-Earth probably would have fallen into the hands of Sauron. Definitely a milestone.

Maybe I should write an essay on "Why Gandalf is the Whole Reason Middle-Earth Survived the War of the Ring"... Because there are PLENTY of them.

That would be an interesting argument to have. If Gandalf was the whole reason, then he wouldn't have needed any help. And he had plenty!

In any event, the milestone in this riddle is not a mountain. I have driven you crazy enough with the mountain riddles... ...for now.

Thanks for guessing, and please try some more. Next!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #75
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
For some reason, I always pictured it being some kind of nurse-elf, who is so innocent and pure that the ring would only have been an ordinary object, sort of like it was with Tom Bombadil. Heavens, they had three days to get that ring on the chain. I bet they had some kind of gladiator stadium where the BRAVEST elves came out in a haz-mat type of suit, super-protective gloves and a gas mask and used tongs and sticks and flipping techniques to get it on the chain. They had to know how important it was. The person to get it on was the Champion of Rivendell for a year or something SWEET like that. Of course only Elves could compete. Men and Dwarves were too susceptible to the Ring's powers, and the Hobbits at Rivendell either had too much exposure or were being treated for trauma.

The uniforms probably looked like this:
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/te...azmat_suit.jpg, only with pretty leaf or star decorations.

edit: I tried to insert an image, but it says "[img] code is OFF", so I guess I can't. Oh, well, click on the link.
Now, that's funny! What a wonderful imagination you have. It will serve you well throughout your life, (so sayeth Keith K the Seer).

In my early reading, before I ever gave it much thought, I had sorta envisioned a similar thing with the "nurse elf". It was only later that I realized what a big deal the actual transfer from pocket to neck must have been.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #76
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:
This riddle was nearly solved when the guessing suddenly stopped. By that time the riddlers of Entmoot had figured out that the range thing and the horn thing did in fact refer to mountains.

At least I had thought that y'all had gotten that far. Wilhelm had translated "horn" as ras, but guessed the wrong mountain. So, are there any other "ranges" besides the White Mountain Range? Yep. There are indeed. Perhaps one of these has a mountain at one end called the "last horn"? The blowing part can be considered wind, but I mainly needed it for poetic purposes. (also, to put y'all in a bit of misdirection and drive Midge crazy).

Sorry if there was confusion that mountain 'ranges' were nixed as a possible solution.

So, anyone wanna tell me where in Middle Earth the solution to this riddle lies? Remember, I did say that educated Rohirrim would know the answer. That should narrow it down for ya!

Methedras - the translates to end horn (more or less). It is the southern most mountain in the Misty Mountain Range. Isengard is at the foot of it's southern side. This mountain is essentially a boundary to the Gap of Rohan. The Rohirrim will know it.

Assuming I now have the right Mountain... Could I have been any closer? Do I get an honourable mention for figuring out that range referred to mountains? Or for translating Horn to ras?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #77
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Good luck, riddlers!
The three-farthing stone. It is considered the center (middle) of the shire and represents the meeting point of the East, West and South Farthings.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #78
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Hey Riddlers,

Are there any active riddles (other than the 2 I attempted above)?

Thx.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #79
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'm at the end of my range, the last horn blowing
Hey Keith,

Great Riddle by the way! It drove me nuts, I have hated it and been totally consumed by it. I just hope it's solved.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #80
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Methedras - the translates to end horn (more or less). It is the southern most mountain in the Misty Mountain Range. Isengard is at the foot of it's southern side. This mountain is essentially a boundary to the Gap of Rohan. The Rohirrim will know it.

Assuming I now have the right Mountain... Could I have been any closer? Do I get an honourable mention for figuring out that range referred to mountains? Or for translating Horn to ras?
Bingo! Midge will be very relieved to know that Methedras is the solution to the riddle. It is at the end of the Misty Mountain Range, and its Elvish name is "last horn". Thank you for researching the answer, Wilhelm!

You get well deserved credit for solving the riddle, but it should be noted that it was Thurin who first made that essential link to the true nature of the clues in the riddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
I am quite confident that I know the answer now, due mostly to standing on the shoulders of giants (my fellow riddlers)!

Mt. Mindolluin upon which sits Minas Tirith. It is at the end of the White Mountain range which in Elvish is called Ered Nimrais which translates as Whitehorn Mountains.

Great riddle Keith!
You were getting closer with an earlier guess of Hornburg, but at that time I deem you to have been chasing after horns other than those of the mountain persuasion.

In any event, ALL participating riddlers receive credit, as this often becomes a group effort for many of our riddles. Even the wildest of guesses help narrow things down, bringing everyone else that much closer to the solution.