Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think loves Tolkien the best?
(withdrawn) 0 0%
Finrod Felagund 2 6.45%
hectorberlioz 10 32.26%
Jonathan 7 22.58%
(withdrawn) 0 0%
Sister Golden Hair 9 29.03%
None of them, Tessar is the best 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #61
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Hmmm...it seems most of the candidates are too good to do a simple questionnaire?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #62
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Re: The Official Entmoot Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

Good Evening every one!

I have decided to start this debate with a few questions for the Candidates that are fairly simple to answer, and are really of the most basic necessity to be qualified for this job. In other words if you screw this up you're certainly not getting a vote from me.

How do you feel that Tolkien's ‘Lord of the Rings’ has effected your life?

If you could meet Mr. Tolkien in real life, what would you say and do?

How many of Tolkien’s books have you read? Please give the titles.

If some one were crossing the street with a book titled 'Bored of the Rings', what would be your reaction? Would you:
A: Smile and wave.
B: Smile, wave, and seethe inwardly.
C: Frown
D: Frown and seethe inwardly
E: Run across the street, and beat the hell out of them.
F: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with their book.
G: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with your Limited Edition version of Tolkien's 'The Silmarilion' for only $4.99 that you got at Walden Books and have read at least a few hundred times and always carry with you because you try to live your life based on the rules within it.
H: Other. If so, please explain what 'other' is.

Lets say you've just gotten home from work, and it's been a hard day. Your boss threw up all over your report, your dog was lying dead across the little 'welcome' rug when you got home, and your radio is broken and is playing rap music non-stop. The only release from your torture is the little 'Sting' replica hanging on your wall. What would you do?

And now, for our toughest question yet...

How do you feel about the new editions of Lord of the Rings coming out with sad little pictures from the movies plastered all over the cover?

Take your time answering these, if you please, because I have the Electoral Collages' full permission to pick every thing apart and then beat you to death with the bloody stump of it.

Thank you, and good luck!

-Tessar [/B]
for question no. 1: Tolkien's masterpiece I have known about my whole life. My father and all of my older siblings read LotR, and so when I came of age, the book was passed to me.
at first the reading was strange and new to me; but I grew used to it, and now LotR is my favorite work of Tolkien's, as well as of all time. there is no dispute anymore, The Lord of the Rings, it is agreed, is the greatest book of the 20th century.

for no.2: "Mr Tolkien, thank you for instilling a love for reading in me."

for no.3:I have read: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Roverandom, and Unfinished Tales.
not many of his, but enough to make him my favorite Author.

for no. 4: I think I would do either A or B.

for no. 5: I would use sting against (just to scare, I wouldnt kill...) the person who killed my dog, and who dared to to filth my house with the sound of rap music.

for no. 6: I feel that the new editons are something used (for PJ) to "unite" the movies and books. I dont like how the covers look at all, it mismatches badly with the original work. the Ballantine Versions are more preferable to me.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #63
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Well, I think a better question would be: how has Tolkien's writing effected your life? My answer is: enormously. And although it started with the Hobbit and LotRs, it has expanded to fantastic levels. When I read LotRs at 16, I was not a lover of reading. One of the best things to come from my experience with Tolkien's works was that change. It opened up so many doors. It allowed me to see that reading could be one of the greatest pleasures and one of the greatest instruments for learning. Not only did I read everything I could get my hands on after that, the difference in my grades in school was phenomenal, all this, thanks to Tolkien.

Quote:
I would shake his hand and thank him for providing me with such a beautiful world in which to escape to.

Quote:
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Lays of Beleriand
Morgoth's Ring
War of the Jewels

Various other parts of the Histories of Middle-earth series

Smith of Wooten Major
Farmer Giles of Ham

Quote:
If some one were crossing the street with a book titled 'Bored of the Rings', what would be your reaction? Would you:
G: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with your Limited Edition version of Tolkien's 'The Silmarilion' for only $4.99 that you got at Walden Books and have read at least a few hundred times and always carry with you because you try to live your life based on the rules within it.
Well, I guess I will go with other. I read Bored of the Rings and found it to be hilarious, so it would be hypocritical for me to beat the hell out of him. I would probably approach him and ask him if he read Tolkien's LotRs and what he thought of it. I would think that anyone that is reading Bored of the Rings is probably a dedicated Tolkien fan. There's nothing wrong with parodies and some light hearted humor.

Quote:
Lets say you've just gotten home from work, and it's been a hard day. Your boss threw up all over your report, your dog was lying dead across the little 'welcome' rug when you got home, and your radio is broken and is playing rap music non-stop. The only release from your torture is the little 'Sting' replica hanging on your wall. What would you do?
I would throw the dog and the radio in a hole. then I would take my Sting replica off the wall and lay it next to me while I picked up LotRs and escaped to Middle-earth where the boss couldn't find me.

Quote:
How do you feel about the new editions of Lord of the Rings coming out with sad little pictures from the movies plastered all over the cover?
That doesn't really bother me. As my mother use to say: "You can't judge a book by its cover" It's what is between the cover that matters, and as long as it's Tolkien's work, no cover of lousy artwork can make it a bad book. It changes nothing.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #64
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Not only LotR, but The Hobbit and The Silmarillion too, have strengthened the friendship between me and my other Tolkien-loving friends. It has been fantastic to be able to discuss Tolkien’s world with my friends, to argue with them about the Balrog’s wings and the two Glorfindels.
With the new LotR movies, our friendship has grown even stronger as we arrange movie nights to watch the extended versions of the films. I’m looking forward to our “super LotR day” when we will be watching the extended versions of all three films on the same day.

I would buy him a drink and thank him for the wonderful world he has created. If possible, I would like to sit down and chat with him about the various languages he has invented and discuss their grammar and vocabulary, and ask him about things like where the Orcs actually come from, if the ears of the Elves are pointy or not, and who Tom Bombadil really is. I want to get a picture of the real world of Tolkien and get rid of all the myths and flaws.

The Hobbit was my first book, which I read in school. After that I had gotten really interested in Tolkien and got myself a copy of The Silmarillion. Immediately after I had finished The Silmarillion,
I started reading LotR.
I also have a book which contains the LotR appendix and some other Tolkien things. This summer I will start reading the HoME series.

I haven’t read Bored of the Rings, but I would just smile. I don’t see anything wrong in making a parody of LotR. In fact, I think a parody could be very entertaining

If all my attempts to wipe off the boss’s vomit, revive the dog and fix the radio – I guess I’d burn my report, bury the dog and smash the radio with my Sting replica. But only after I have gotten tired of the rap music

I have seen worse covers. Anyway it is the inside which counts.

An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:16 PM   #65
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Whose hand is that you're shaking Jonathan.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #66
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Whose hand is that you're shaking Jonathan.
The hand of a mooter, of course .
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-13-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:05 PM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
The hand of a mooter, of course .
But do you want a president who has an ex-career as a swimsuit model?
Old 03-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #68
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
That is an advantage which none of the other candidates have
Old 03-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #69
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Sorry BoP, but you are not supposed to post in this thread.

Mooters, remember please that the thread is for the candidates, mods, admins, and tessar.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-14-2004, 12:17 AM   #70
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh right, with all the idle chit-chat between the presidential candidates I forgot. Since this thread is strictly for campaigning, I would argue that the last few posts have been redundant as well. *will shuddap now*
Old 03-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #71
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

The poll is open again
Old 03-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #72
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
The poll is open again
Great! If you think you know who to vote for, please state that in the poll

Old 03-17-2004, 01:09 PM   #73
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I thought we could add a little more fun and challenge to the election. God knows it needs it. I'm not sure when this poll closes, but I thought it would be fun to test the winners knowledge of Tolkien. This would also show if the winner deserved the win. We, or someone could write up a series of question from several of the books, LotRs, the Silarillion, Unfinished Tales, and let the winner answer them. we would of course have to trust them not to cheat by looking up the answers. Say a series of 10 questions. Since the majority of mooters are limited from posting here, I will post this idea in the 'open house' thread also.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #74
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Those of you who have posted answers, I'll get on top of picking them apart this evening unless something happens to stop me.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:37 AM   #75
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, I think a better question would be: how has Tolkien's writing effected your life? My answer is: enormously. And although it started with the Hobbit and LotRs, it has expanded to fantastic levels. When I read LotRs at 16, I was not a lover of reading. One of the best things to come from my experience with Tolkien's works was that change. It opened up so many doors. It allowed me to see that reading could be one of the greatest pleasures and one of the greatest instruments for learning. Not only did I read everything I could get my hands on after that, the difference in my grades in school was phenomenal, all this, thanks to Tolkien.

I would shake his hand and thank him for providing me with such a beautiful world in which to escape to.

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Lays of Beleriand
Morgoth's Ring
War of the Jewels

Various other parts of the Histories of Middle-earth series

Smith of Wooten Major
Farmer Giles of Ham

Well, I guess I will go with other. I read Bored of the Rings and found it to be hilarious, so it would be hypocritical for me to beat the hell out of him. I would probably approach him and ask him if he read Tolkien's LotRs and what he thought of it. I would think that anyone that is reading Bored of the Rings is probably a dedicated Tolkien fan. There's nothing wrong with parodies and some light hearted humor.

I would throw the dog and the radio in a hole. then I would take my Sting replica off the wall and lay it next to me while I picked up LotRs and escaped to Middle-earth where the boss couldn't find me.

That doesn't really bother me. As my mother use to say: "You can't judge a book by its cover" It's what is between the cover that matters, and as long as it's Tolkien's work, no cover of lousy artwork can make it a bad book. It changes nothing.

OH, so you think you know the better question? That wasn't the question I asked you, toots. This isn't a 'work with what you've got', this is a dictatorship. And anyways, you just answered my question while trying to make it look like you answered your own. This speaks of sneakiness. Which is an excellent trait for a president, but not if we all know about it!

I must admit that I'm VERY impressed by your reading list there, a well read, well rounded (mentally I mean, I'm not suggesting anything about you in person, you understand) fine lady...

Of course that all changes with the next answer regarding Board of the Rings. I don't think I even NEED to go into that. You read it? As they say, "Like, ewwwwww..."

What possessed you to do that?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:28 AM   #76
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Great! If you think you know who to vote for, please state that in the poll

see how Jonathan is smiling in all his pics? that's just one foretelling of his joy to rule entmoot with an Iron Cruel Fist

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #77
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
OH, so you think you know the better question? That wasn't the question I asked you, toots. This isn't a 'work with what you've got', this is a dictatorship. And anyways, you just answered my question while trying to make it look like you answered your own. This speaks of sneakiness. Which is an excellent trait for a president, but not if we all know about it!
What?

Quote:
I must admit that I'm VERY impressed by your reading list there, a well read, well rounded (mentally I mean, I'm not suggesting anything about you in person, you understand) fine lady...
Thanks, I think.

Quote:
Of course that all changes with the next answer regarding Board of the Rings. I don't think I even NEED to go into that. You read it? As they say, "Like, ewwwwww..."

What possessed you to do that?
It actually came from having a discussion with a neighbor of mine that waqs also a Tolkien fan, and he gave me Bored of the Rings to read. It was the funniest thing I ever read. You should check it out, and stop being such a wet blanket.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #78
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Re: Re: The Official Entmoot Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
for question no. 1: Tolkien's masterpiece I have known about my whole life. My father and all of my older siblings read LotR, and so when I came of age, the book was passed to me.
at first the reading was strange and new to me; but I grew used to it, and now LotR is my favorite work of Tolkien's, as well as of all time. there is no dispute anymore, The Lord of the Rings, it is agreed, is the greatest book of the 20th century.

for no.2: "Mr Tolkien, thank you for instilling a love for reading in me."

for no.3:I have read: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Roverandom, and Unfinished Tales.
not many of his, but enough to make him my favorite Author.

for no. 4: I think I would do either A or B.

for no. 5: I would use sting against (just to scare, I wouldnt kill...) the person who killed my dog, and who dared to to filth my house with the sound of rap music.

for no. 6: I feel that the new editons are something used (for PJ) to "unite" the movies and books. I dont like how the covers look at all, it mismatches badly with the original work. the Ballantine Versions are more preferable to me.

Over all I have to say that I'm struck by your lack of activity! You wouldn't do anything to the man with the book, Tolkien was passed down to you, and you don't seem to be making an effort to expand your Tolkien!

However when you do something it's with the intent of scaring! Fear tactics! You assume that some one is to blame for the dog and the radio! However, such emotions are understandable when we consider that you'd be under the influence of rap music.

Do you plan to expand your knowledge of Tolkien's works?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:11 AM   #79
hectorberlioz

Re: Re: Re: The Official Entmoot Presidential Debate

Quote:
Over all I have to say that I'm struck by your lack of activity! You wouldn't do anything to the man with the book, Tolkien was passed down to you, and you don't seem to be making an effort to expand your Tolkien!

However when you do something it's with the intent of scaring! Fear tactics! You assume that some one is to blame for the dog and the radio! However, such emotions are understandable when we consider that you'd be under the influence of rap music.

Do you plan to expand your knowledge of Tolkien's works?
you're not analyzing! you're assuming!
of course I plan to expand my Knowledge Of Tolkien.
And I wouldnt want to bother Mr. Tolkien if I happened to meet him. I know he's had it rough in dealing with LotR fanatics, and I wouldnt want him to think me just another craze who wants to meet someone famous, and as simply a fan, not as an intellectual bieng.
As fo my lack of activity in campaigning, I assure you I am not as active as I was when the race began, but I certainly am still actively campaigning.

now, I would like to toss these few questions at my fellow candidates...(many thanks to Lady Ravyn for helping me!)

1)how many days of each month
are there in the Shire calndar?

2)what is the name of the fourth chapter in LotR: book IV?

3)what is the name for a meeting for the ents?

4) How many days did Gimli, Aragorn,
and Legolas travel before they came to Tol Brandir?

5)who entered Fangorn first?

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-19-2004 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #80
Jonathan

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Official Entmoot Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
now, I would like to toss these few questions at my fellow candidates...(many thanks to Lady Ravyn for helping me!)
So, do you want me to answer these questions? Well why not? Can't see many other candidates here so I guess I'll go ahead and do it.

1)how many days of each month
are there in the Shire calndar?

There are 30 days of each month, with a few more days in between certain months, in order to make the year a whole 365 days instead of 360.
A funny thing is that every date has the same weekday year after year. A result of this is that there's never a Friday 1st,. The hobbits used to talk about Friday 1st as a day when strange things could happen, something that I found very interesting when I learnt it

2)what is the name of the fourth chapter in LotR: book IV?

Strange question, it doesn't really show how much you know about Tolkien or his world. It would be an unjust question in any Tolkien quiz IMO. They never had things that hard when I watched Tolkien Jeopardy on tv some time ago .
Anyway Book 4 must be the second part of TTT. So let's see... By then the hobbits should have tamed Gollum and gotten past the Dead Marches. So I guess the name of the chapter is The Black Gate is Closed. Either that or it might be the Herbs and Coneys chapter.

3)what is the name for a meeting for the ents?

Drats, I think I'll have to pass on that one

4) How many days did Gimli, Aragorn,
and Legolas travel before they came to Tol Brandir?

Again, a pretty unfair question. How many Tolkien lovers keep in mind the exact number of days that this and this travel or event lasted?
I can look it up though.

5)who entered Fangorn first?

Is that a trick question? . My guess is that Fangorn himself was first in Fangorn

Thanks for the questions. Is it SGH's and FF's time to answer them now? I'm sure they won't peak at my answers