Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2002, 12:20 PM   #61
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

To Liviaine about Thranduil

By the way Liviaine, Thranduil is the elf-king in the hobbit in which he dosn't exactly exemplify the best of elven traits but then I can see how the spiders, orcs and even dwarves would get on his nerves.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:23 PM   #62
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

My favourite Elven King is Thranduil.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #63
Maedhros
The Tall

As my favourite elven ruler, I would have to choose the first son of the first prince of the Ñoldor. Maedhros.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:42 PM   #64
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
As my favourite elven ruler, I would have to choose the first son of the first prince of the Ñoldor. Maedhros.
But Maedhros wasn't a king.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:44 PM   #65
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

A tie between Fingolfin and Fëanor.
Then Turgon, Finrod and Maedhros (although he never was a king)...
Old 01-12-2003, 09:48 PM   #66
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

Fingolfin i guess!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:35 AM   #67
Melkor's significant othe
Hobbit

Another vote for Fingolfin here! Come on......hand to hand challenge to Morgoth! No way you can beat that !
Melkor's significant othe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #68
BeardofPants
the Shrike

...For sheer insanity.

Mine's probably finrod, or perhaps feanor.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:45 PM   #69
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
...For sheer insanity.

Very strange BoP. From one extream to the other.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-13-2003, 04:07 PM   #70
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
...For sheer insanity.

I could have sworn it said 'for sheep insanity'....
Old 01-13-2003, 11:27 PM   #71
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Fingolfin. The duel with Melkor is one of my favorite passages from the Sil. And you have to admire his calmness when Feanor confronted him.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #72
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
But Maedhros wasn't a king.
If you go that way then, Fëanor wasn't a king either. The only king of the Ñoldor were: Finwë, Fingolfin, Fingon, Turgon and Gil-Galad.
It's funny because I would wager that the "Kingdom" of Maedhros in Beleriand was more powerful than that of say Thranduil in Mirkwood.
How do you define a king then?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:13 AM   #73
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
If you go that way then, Fëanor wasn't a king either. The only king of the Ñoldor were: Finwë, Fingolfin, Fingon, Turgon and Gil-Galad.
It's funny because I would wager that the "Kingdom" of Maedhros in Beleriand was more powerful than that of say Thranduil in Mirkwood.
How do you define a king then?
No, the only "High Kings" in Middle-earth were: Fingolfin, Fingon, Turgon, and Gilgalad. In Aman Finwe was king of the Noldor. When he was murdered, Feanor being the eldest son would have been king. This all took place during the revolt and exile of the Noldor. When the Noldor that crossed the ice, which were the bigger following especially after the Kinslaying, came to Middle-earth, Maedhros turned the High Kingship over to Fingolfin. Finrod was in the line of the High Kings, but did not live long enough for that to happen, but, he did create a stronghold by the advice of Ulmo and therefore, he was a king. Because Maedhroes relinquished his rights to the throne, there was no way he was to ever be High King of the Noldor.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-14-2003, 12:36 AM   #74
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Very strange BoP. From one extream to the other.
Who me?
Old 01-14-2003, 12:40 AM   #75
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Who me?
Never!

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-14-2003, 01:14 PM   #76
Maedhros
The Tall

Unfortunately for Fëanor, he never became a High King of the Ñoldor. It was in Hithlum when Maedhros waived his right for the Kingship that Fingolfin became the High King. Fëanor never actually became the High King of the Ñoldor. Finwë, held the title of Ñoldoran, King of the Ñoldor.
Quote:
Finrod was in the line of the High Kings, but did not live long enough for that to happen, but, he did create a stronghold by the advice of Ulmo and therefore, he was a king.
The line of the High Kings were those of the House of Fingolfin. Then it passed to Gil-Galad, which is from the House of Finarfin. Was he a High King because he created a stronghold by the advice of Ulmo? Did they call Fingon a High King when Fingolfin lived? No.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:29 PM   #77
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
The line of the High Kings were those of the House of Fingolfin. Then it passed to Gil-Galad, which is from the House of Finarfin. Was he a High King because he created a stronghold by the advice of Ulmo? Did they call Fingon a High King when Fingolfin lived? No.
I didn't say that he was a High King because he created a stronghold. I said he was a king, not High King. No, they didn't call Fingon High King while Fingolfin lived.

I am saying that because Maedhros turned the High Kingship over to Fingolfin, then he was exempt. Once the line of Fingolfin was over, the High Kingship went to the house of Finarfin. Had Finrod out lived Turgon, the High Kingship would have come to him. It was only the order of events that prevented it.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-14-2003, 06:36 PM   #78
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Unfortunately for Fëanor, he never became a High King of the Ñoldor. It was in Hithlum when Maedhros waived his right for the Kingship that Fingolfin became the High King. Fëanor never actually became the High King of the Ñoldor. Finwë, held the title of Ñoldoran, King of the Ñoldor.
I think he was a High-king of the Ñoldor. He wasn't elected, nor did most of the people follow him, but once his father died he automatically became King of the House of Finwë. Fingolfin claimed this right, but technically Fëanor was High-King, because he never gave his Kingship to Fingolfin, and Fingolfin was never elected instead of Fëanor (even though most of the Ñoldor followed Fingolfin).

And even if Fëanor's son gave away the Kingship, Fëanor had it when he was alive.

(I have little knowledge on how a monarchy works, it may very well prove that I'm wrong)
Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 PM   #79
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
And even if Fëanor's son gave away the Kingship, Fëanor had it when he was alive.
Heru Maitimo, waived his right to the Kingship of the Ñoldor not the kingship himself.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 01-18-2003, 06:26 AM   #80
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Fingolfin is my favourite of the elf kings. One of the best parts in the Silmarillion was when Fingolfin challenged Morgoth in single combat.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote