Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2002, 11:07 PM   #61
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

There are many cultures, but however race is not a biological classification, it is politically based.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:29 AM   #62
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Nibs Cotton

Why did you single out bropous?

What about my buddy wayfarer? Who posted:

Quote:
Incidentally, It is my firm belief that all 'negroid' people are inherently evil.
Quote:
Yep! And they don't have a sense of humour, either
Or my own

Even though afro here means one of African descent as opposed to hair style

But that is a hilarious image an elf with a big 1970’s super bush

I can see legolas with a mega-fro, bell bottoms and platform shoes
Running gently across the snow at Cadehoros (SP?)

What follows may be offensive to those who are, post-modernist, deconstructionist, super liberal, politically correct types or basically anyone who suffered from the post 60’s educational system and doesn’t know it

The history of the first age by afro-elf

See we was chillin’ in da mudda land when this giant valar ( Englishman/American imperialist) comes and says “we are gonna take you to the promised land”

But this evil valar melkor was the leader of a group of people called nazis and they had had captured many of our youths and made them orcs. Now orcs were like our own people but they were corrupted and called themselves niggas instead of the avari word Negro. Basically they were loud and rude and gave all the rest of us a really bad name

Anyway because of melkor the german nazi valar, we did trust this orome dude And we send 3 of our homeys to check it out. They came back and said cool. Except for elwe who was now called thingol. Thingol did trust the valar who he called “whitey” but he did manage to throw down some afro-elf love on one of their woman: melian who he brought back to the motherland. She was down with us and thingol and her made the funkiest land in middle earth. Doraith. We just chilled. Playing smooth jazz, cards and basket ball.

our orc cousins though busied themselves with gangster rap and drive bys and learning black speech (aka) ebonics

now the sell out noldar come back messin’ up our stuff. They’ve been corrupted by whitey and are full greed and venegence over some jewelry

thingol said let whitey’s lackey’s make their own war an the nazis

but whitey’s disease affected us all. Thingol had a fine mulatto daughter who wanted to marry an edain (aka latino, short lived but fast breeding)
we were like at least he aint no sell noldar. Besides he’ll be dead in a few years and we’ll live forever

but NO, he had to go ask for a silmaril. So what happens? He gets killed by dwarves( the forefathers of jews and arabs, they WERE one group at one time) they have long beards will go to war over slights, sequester their women so none can see them and like gold and have a rep for being greedy and stubborn)

then the valar and all their sell out lackey’s wage war in the motherland and mess it up so bad that they destroy it. (talk about exploiting a people)
so after the first age we kinda all went back east to closer to the original home to get back to our roots with our moriquendi( dark-elf) leaders to lorien and greenwood the great.

Hey even galadriel fell for some of the afro-elf love. Celeborn is moriquendi and when they say dark speakers dey jus be jealous of dee afro elf love talk we be don put on some of dere finest women

Speaking of my homey why is everyone down on my man celeborn
He got the finest white woman on the planet, she was tutored my melian i guess she learned well, then some runt dwarf comes to his kingdom and makes a pass at his wife and you expect him to chill?

Come on the dwarves killed his uncle and sacked his home
Then greedy bastards awaken a balrog that leads to the death of amroth another
Kinsman and great lord

peace out

I'm a minority and I didn't take offense to any of the above. I thought that they were funny

What I find interesting is that you did not comment on my NON humorous bash were I said

Quote:
It's really a Nazi Muslim regime here.
I'm curious to your thoughts on these.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 12:40 PM   #63
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Nibs, simply enough, maintain a sense of humor in things.

It was meant as a joke, a tangential reference to the stupidity of ANY version of prejudice. I could have used "Tamils" or "Gurkhas" or even "Ubangis" and still have had the same meaning. Afro-elf has a point: Why go after such an innocent joke by me when there have been several MUCH more potentially offensive comments by others? I get their humor, but if you get so bent out of shape by a backhand joke about Eskimoes, then why didn't you come down on their jokes before? Hmmmm? Selective outrage, mayhaps?

But as far as "political correctness," that is far more a common tool in the hands of those who celebrate and perpetuate the differences between people, not of the "idealists" who tend to view humankind as one race, with only minor differences between people. Seeing people as equals sorta removes the knee-jerk obeisance to the "politics of victimhood." Capiche?

As for Tolkien being an "unknowing racist," JRR was plenty aware of the spectre of racism in his homeland, South Africa. When Christopher was stationed there in WWII, JRR wrote this:

"As for what you say or hint of 'local' conditions: I knew of them. I don't think they have much changed (even for the worse). I used to hear them discussed by my mother; and ever since have taken a special interest in that part of the world. The treatment of colour always horrifies anyone going out from Britain, & not only in South Africa. Unfort[unately], not many retain that generous sentiment for long..." Letters, page 73.

So, Nibs, Tolkien was painfully aware of the blight of "racism" [more correctly, "culturism"] in South Africa, and other places, for that matter. To say he was unaware of racism just because he was brought up in the "Northern Realms" seems to preclude the ability of any individual to be aware of conditions in other areas for people different from said individual. Tolkien was in no way unaware of "racism."
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 03:23 PM   #64
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I just wanted to put in (in response to comments made on the first and second pages of this topic) that the Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion is not part of any mythology for England. That was The Book of Lost Tales.