Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2003, 03:58 PM   #61
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

As a general rule of thumb, Iron Maiden is metal. I don't know if you've heard of them gimli70andwhatnot, but that's what metal sounds like. They don't sound like punk. And Ozzy, although good, is extremely far from the heaviest of his time. The 'heaviest metal' would be something like Norweigan black metal. (Yup, the first metal was in Norway. I don't remember Korn in Norway either)
Old 04-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #62
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

yea i know norwegian death metal is heavy so heavy metal has to be but it was iron maiden and ozzy who made metal what it was today. over here at least.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:55 PM   #63
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I was perusing all things T Rex on ebay, and came across the name of the bongo player I had the crush on.....Steve Peregrine Took.. Ackk!

Looks like they played a gig at the "Middle Earth" club in 1967!

Last edited by Lizra : 04-22-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:31 PM   #64
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Gimli, there are a lot of people who claim to be the forefather of metal. Some have attributed it to Led Zep as well. And Paul McCartney claims that Ticket To Ride also started the ball rolling - it was quite heavy for the time (but yeah, don't see it myself.)
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 AM   #65
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I'd say it was the earlier bands that we now associate more with "classic rock". The main one being Black Sabbath.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:21 AM   #66
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
yea i know norwegian death metal is heavy so heavy metal has to be but it was iron maiden and ozzy who made metal what it was today. over here at least.
Ah, now I see what you mean. I agree.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:38 AM   #67
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Go to floatermusic.com if your interested.
Everyone from oregon likes rock music, a lot of us like floater.
Ive never seen them live but all of they're albums are good.
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:03 AM   #68
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

My playlist has all R&B/Hip Hop. I also like Rock, though. (Love Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc)
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #69
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Gimli, there are a lot of people who claim to be the forefather of metal. Some have attributed it to Led Zep as well. And Paul McCartney claims that Ticket To Ride also started the ball rolling - it was quite heavy for the time (but yeah, don't see it myself.)
Paul McCartney? Thats a joke. But yes I think Zeppelin did more for the genesis of true heavy metal then any other band. They have been sited by all the classic metal bands anyway and what better source is there then that. They were the first to use the lead male vocal on the highest screaming alto range and actually have it be a masculine thing and not gay sounding. That became a halmark of early metal and later metal. In fact once at a concert in Florida Jimmy Paige said that he was doing a guitar solo in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and there were these long haired kids right at the base of the stage just banging their heads right up against the front of the stage with the beat. He was amazed. The very first head bangers.... Course Plant and Page themselves didnt think much of this part of their legacy. They thought that most metal from the late 70s and 80s was crap.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #70
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

yea led zep contributed alot to metal. dont really like him though, i only like stairway to heaven
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #71
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
yea led zep contributed alot to metal. dont really like him though, i only like stairway to heaven
to each their own. and to others the bone..... as they say....

Old 04-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #72
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Zeppelin is a they, not a him.

I personally believe Black Sabbath were the more influencial and the first true metal band, their sound is more characteristic of everything Metal is really (Guitar detuned, lyrics about negative social and political issues plus the occasional occult topic, several disorted blues riffs in one song with a solo inbetween, and so on)

You're spot on about the high-pitched singing, theres also the Mythological and fantasical lyrics, plus John Bonhams influence is rather evident. More pounding.

I hate that nu-metal crap, it's pop music, an insult to true metal.

Manowar fans! I thought I was the only one!
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #73
Anglorfin
Alasailon

MANOWAR, although extremely corny, I just can't help but love them.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 04-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #74
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Paul McCartney? Thats a joke. But yes I think Zeppelin did more for the genesis of true heavy metal then any other band. They have been sited by all the classic metal bands anyway and what better source is there then that. They were the first to use the lead male vocal on the highest screaming alto range and actually have it be a masculine thing and not gay sounding. That became a halmark of early metal and later metal. In fact once at a concert in Florida Jimmy Paige said that he was doing a guitar solo in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and there were these long haired kids right at the base of the stage just banging their heads right up against the front of the stage with the beat. He was amazed. The very first head bangers.... Course Plant and Page themselves didnt think much of this part of their legacy. They thought that most metal from the late 70s and 80s was crap.
Hmm, if I remember rightly, in Hammer of the Gods - A Led Zeppelin Biography, it states that Led Zep were indeed the first banned to be dubbed as playing Heavy Metal (in some American music publication) but Jimmy Page abhorred the idea, as far as he was concerned he was playing his own version of Rock/Heavy Blues.

So I guess officially (as in public use of the term) they were the first Heavy Metal band.........it's just that Led Zep didn't think they were

Quote:
I personally believe Black Sabbath were the more influencial and the first true metal band, their sound is more characteristic of everything Metal is really
Gotta agree with ya there CBG........the phrase may have existed previously.........but Black Sabbath certainly adopted it and made it their genre.....

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:29 PM   #75
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

i consider myself both punk and anti-music.

The White Stripes
The Sex Pistols
The Distllers

Along with a bit from...

The Seatbelts
Green Day

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:14 PM   #76
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Hmm, if I remember rightly, in Hammer of the Gods - A Led Zeppelin Biography, it states that Led Zep were indeed the first banned to be dubbed as playing Heavy Metal (in some American music publication) but Jimmy Page abhorred the idea, as far as he was concerned he was playing his own version of Rock/Heavy Blues.

So I guess officially (as in public use of the term) they were the first Heavy Metal band.........it's just that Led Zep didn't think they were

Gotta agree with ya there CBG........the phrase may have existed previously.........but Black Sabbath certainly adopted it and made it their genre.....
Yes I agree with all of this. Zep was a hard rock blues band basically. Thats what Page and Plant would tell you. They came out of the english blues revival of 60s and succeeded in creating their own distinctive mesh of blues and hard rock licks and heavy drum beats and epic complex writing and sound weaving that then went on to define movements like metal and hard rock. I mean without Zeppelin you never really wouldnt have had groups like Aerosmith, ACDC, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Metallica, Guns & Roses, and all the horrid crappy perfume metal bands of the 80s (much to Page's chagrin). Zeppelin paved the way for all that.

Yes Ozzy was the first to really be recognized as "heavy metal" but Zeppelin, as you said, brought the term out.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-25-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:45 AM   #77
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Did anyone see The White Stripes on Conan o'Brien last week?
I believe they preformed 5 new songs.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:48 AM   #78
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah I did, kinda weird cause I haven't seen Conan in a while. Actually before then I hadn't heard of White Stripes, but I didn't really like them at all anyway.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:11 AM   #79
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Did you see all 5 shows?
I saw the first 2, they wernt that good. He's really good with his guitar.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #80
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Ahhhhhhhh, Heavy Metal. Started by Black Sabbath, perfected by Iron Maiden . . .

Speaking of Iron Maiden, who else is going to see them in their US tour?