Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2000, 03:00 PM   #61
Julianus

Re: Tolkien in the Classroom

Ave Anduin,
Thank you for the correction. You may have noticed I am somewhat prone to typos, myself. Thank goodness for the "edit" function.
My sincere wishes of congratulations and happiness to you in your marriage.
Gaudiamus igitur (Therefore, let us rejoice)
Julianus

Et ave tibi, Fat Middle,
In veritate fumum non facio. Legeo.*G*
(In truth I don't smoke. I read)
Puellae (et pueri) solum jocum habere desiderant,
(Girls (and boys) just want to have fun)
Julianus
Disclaimer: As I said I "play" with Latin. There are no guarantees on the correctness of my vocabulary or grammar. I like to think of it as "evolved" Latin*G*
Old 07-09-2000, 03:41 PM   #62
gatito

Ave Julianus,

Hey I haven't seen you in awhile, I am glad you are here what a nice surprise.

And as for your Latin well you taught me what I know of the language, Ave, Pax, and Et

Luv Always,
Gat
Old 07-09-2000, 08:14 PM   #63
Darth Tater

Latin, what a lovelly language, myabve I should brush up on my skills
amo
amas
amat
amamus
amatis
amant

Old 07-10-2000, 02:35 AM   #64
Julianus

Ave gatito,
It was a nice surprise for me to find you on this LOTR board. There have been some interesting responses to this topic. Thirty plus years ago in high school, I first heard of "The Hobbit." I think our English teacher even reccomended it, but it was a few years before I read it on my own, and then was fully hooked on it. Tolkien told his story so well.
I don't know if you are familiar with C.S.Lewis' "Space Trilogy," "Out of the Silent Planet," "Perelandra," and "That Hideous Strength," but he mentions Tolkien specifically in his introduction to "That Hideous Strength."
Quote:
Those who would like to learn further about Numinor and the True West must (alas!)await the publication of much that still exists only in the MSS. of my friend, Professor J. R. R. Tolkien.
These are not "dull" guys, and there work is certainly worth being taught in high school, IMHO.
How this work should be presented to students is another question. One would hate to turn someone off to these works, at the same time recognizing that not everyone is going to enjoy exploring this genre.
Good to talk with you, "little cat."
Pax tecum,
(Peace be with you)
Julianus
Old 07-10-2000, 02:39 AM   #65
Julianus

Ave(Hail) Darth Tater,
A right merry Sith Lord you seem to be, oh Spudly one.*G* Well done on your conjugation of the present indicative tense of the verb "to love." Amo, amare, avi, amatus; what more could one ask for?
Pax tecum,
Julianus
Old 07-10-2000, 07:45 PM   #66
Darth Tater

If only I could remember anything other then conjugating and declining
Old 07-16-2000, 02:57 PM   #67
Fat middle

just upping this thread in attention to anduin´s mental health. hope y´all understand we seldom coincide at ICQ: once in three months or so...

see on post of 7/8/00. it´s the nearest i could find.

thank you all. move along
Old 07-17-2000, 02:22 AM   #68
anduin

FM...yep, that's it! Thank you. Now do you see what I mean?

As the man said....move along, move along....
Old 07-17-2000, 03:41 PM   #69
IronParrot

???
Old 07-17-2000, 04:42 PM   #70
anduin

Hehe....it is a long, long story and not very interesting.
Old 07-17-2000, 07:01 PM   #71
captain Tarpols

hmmmmm, interesting thread......anduin, have you read the hobbit?
Old 07-18-2000, 03:12 AM   #72
Mresone

Back to the original post, The Hobbit was required reading at Augusta Elementary School, Augusta Ohio (population 150) when I was attending 7th grade. It wasn't an honors program or anything, I think my English teacher just liked Tolkien. Of course, by that time I had already read it at least twice
Old 07-18-2000, 12:14 PM   #73
Shanamir Duntak

You guys that studied Tolkien at school are lucky... I Had to study the classics like Zola, Voltaire, Hugo... (Don't forget my native L is french) I wish I had Tolkien to read... I was reading it anyway!
Old 07-19-2000, 04:40 AM   #74
trevkw

You poor, poor victim. Did they force you to read Les Mis cover to cover? I did that recently, and I nearly went insane. It should have been about 500 pages, max...it's more like 1400. I loved the story, and I'm a big fan of the musical...but I'd recommend the Reader's Digest version, if there is one.
Old 07-19-2000, 08:47 PM   #75
Wizard of the Secret Fire

I am from Sweden and I am quite suprised. I have actually found the Riddle game from 'the Hobbit' in some of my English and Swedish textbooks.

I found the Riddle game in one of my English textbooks and in one of the Swedish, both used somewhere between 7th and 9th grade. Then I found it again in the English textbook used at the first year of High School, together with 'About Hobbits' from the prologue of LotR.
Old 07-20-2000, 08:44 AM   #76
emilsson

What schoolbooks were that? I don´t recall any LOTR in the ones we have.

BTW, I checked your ICQ number and the info there. I live very near you, in Falun. I thought it was rather funny since, to my knowledge, I used to be the only regular member from Sweden here in a long time.
Old 07-20-2000, 10:19 AM   #77
Fat middle

wow, the nordic power is increasing at Entmoot
Old 07-23-2000, 01:50 PM   #78
Shanamir Duntak

Fortunately for me, we haven't read Les misérable cover to cover... just some parts of it (chosen by the teacher).
The worst year was the one we had to read local stuff. Here in Québec, earth has always been important since the beginning of the colony. So most of our grandfathers were farmers.
Then, most of the local writers here write in a style we call Romans du terroir .
I did not really enjoy that style...

Sorry Juntel, if I'm not mistaken, you're a teacher?

C'est dommage mais je n'aime pas vraiment le style québecois. Je trouve que trop souvent les auteurs pensent trop petits et restent confinés dans des sujets trop discutés. Mais encore, je n'ai pas lu beaucoup d'auteur québecois et je suis sûr qu'il y en a plusieurs qui méritent d'être découverts...

For the full translation... Ask it, I may d
Old 07-26-2000, 12:10 PM   #79
dunedain lady

I got to read The Hobbit in my 8th grade honors class, and I wish we got to read LOTR in 11th or 12th grade, but as far as I know, we won't. It was wonderful learning different ways of looking at the story, and it was great reading it out loud. At the end of the unit, we all had to write a story about a hobbit. THat's it, just a story about a hobbit. You really learned something about people's character. Some people's stories were really philosophical and deep, some were funny, and some were just plain weird, like one who's hobbit got eaten for thanksgiving dinner
Old 07-26-2000, 07:45 PM   #80
trevkw

Hey, SD...I actually understood your commentary on literature in Quebec! I guess high-school French was good for something...

:rollin: