Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2002, 10:03 PM   #61
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

i only read one but i'm not really into mysteries!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:01 PM   #62
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Talera
One extra thing, having a Daemon must be brilliant! B]
Okay, I have to ask. That's the first time I've seen anyone on the Moot use the word 'brilliant' like Elijah Wood uses it all the time.
Is this something that people in L.A. say, or people under 19, or what? Please explicate.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:21 PM   #63
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I say "brilliant." I'm 16, and I live in Seattle.
I also say "wicked" and I've been affected by reading British stuff, so I use some Brit slang as well as "American" slang. *shrug* Dunno...
But I agree, having a Daemon must indeed be brilliant! Mine's name is Katzin, and he's a fox.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 09:54 PM   #64
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Thank you for the explanation. It must be age. I live in Seattle too, but the only people under 17 that I know all speak Spanish. So they don't say brilliant. But I think it's a cool word (I say cool).

On topic - inspired by all you people, I'm going to read Philip Pullman.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:10 AM   #65
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I say brilliant. And I'm 18, and I also live in Seattle.
My daemon is a magpie. And it is brilliant, having a daemon!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:12 PM   #66
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
mine's would most definatly be a cat
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:00 AM   #67
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
hi Twirling String,
I hav read Northen Lights and half of subtle Knife.
i absolutely loved Northen Lights and could barely put it down .Subtle Knife is harder though and i've taken a break from it.what hav you read of philip pullmans
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #68
Belle
Enting

The Amber Spyglass was a really touching book. It was also quite scary, and Mrs Coulter and her monkey daemon and Lord Asriel fighting that angel thing was really kinda..disturbing. But it was a 'brilliant' (I say brilliant and I'm English and 18) trilogy.
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:10 AM   #69
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I read the first two and found them well written and entertaining. But I've decided not to read the third, after a long discussion with myself, because they're anti-God.
I'm very fond of God, and don't want to waste my time with propaganda against him.
Generally speaking I read anything going, and try to keep an open mind, but I also don't like wasting my time.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:26 AM   #70
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Anti-God?
Hmm....I don't know that he's trying to say that God is bad. The whole thing is a big mess anyway. Religion in the book, I mean--everyone and everything's all messy. Eh...I haven't read it in a while, I'll have to go see.

I hesitate to say--for people who haven't read the third one, CLOSE YOUR EYES!
What'd people think of the whole Will / Lyra thing? I thought it was a big much...and it seemed sort of contrived. I really liked it before the "desparate love" thing came into the picture.

(I say brilliant and I'm now 17 and still living in Seattle. )

Tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 04-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #71
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
What'd people think of the whole Will / Lyra thing? I thought it was a big much...and it seemed sort of contrived. I really liked it before the "desparate love" thing came into the picture.
I liked it because of how it was handled to cover the Adam/Eve thing, but it wasn't corny at all. Of course it was contrived, the whole plot was leading up to it!

My dæmon isn't settled. His name is Rakinson. Currently he is sitting on my monitor in the form of a robin looking very bored indeed. (Heheh.)

I was very much obsessed with them once upon a time.

My Golden Compess is signed by Phillip Pulman. I got to meet him and here him speak (at length) about his books.

Who here really liked the Gallevespians?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #72
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Who here really liked the Gallevespians?
I did, those guys were funny. In any case, I enjoyed this series a lot, it was very philosophical. Sometimes it would remind me of C.S. Lewis though with his bible-pushing but Pullman did it differently. He took a classic bible story and applied it to something else.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:47 AM   #73
Elf Girl
Lurker

O yeah, one more thing I wanted to say:

I didn't like the Sally Lockhart trilogy. Sure, it was interesting and exciting and all, but I saw it as cheap thriller garbage that you write to get money, whereas His Dark Materials is Pulman's true style.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #74
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Hmm....but the lead in was so subtle, and then bang! It was this all-important thing....oh, nevermind. Doesn't matter.
I also really liked the scientist--Mary Malone, I think her name was. She was v. nifty....

Heh....I have the first two signed by him, when he came to speak at my local bookstore...and I did a book project for school--making a cover for the book--and he signed that too. Wheee!

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 04-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #75
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

These are my all time favorite books!!!!!!

My favorite characters were Iorek Byrneson (spelling?) and Pantalaimon. But Iorek especially. The whole concept of an armored bear is great.

What was your favorite of the three? Mine was either the Golden Compass or the Amber Spyglass. They're all good, but those two stood out a little more than the Subtle Knife.

And I liked the whole Will/Lyra thing. The ending of the Amber Spyglass was so sad.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:07 PM   #76
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I thought that the Golden Compass was the weaker of the trilogy. I agree with whoever said that the love thing didn't work. I thought it was a bit sudden, and she was a bit too young for it to be that intense. My favourite book would have to be the Golden Compass.

Edit: How DO you pronounce "Lyra"?? It's bugging the crap out of me. Lee-ra? Li-ra? Lei-ra?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #77
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Haha. I pronounced it Lye-ra, but many of my friends pronounced it Lee-ra. So when they mentioned her name, I'm thinking... "Who's Leera?"

About the love thing, I did think it was a nice thing to add, but I do see why you think she's too young for it to be that intense. The main reason I liked it was because it added tragedy to the end.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:36 PM   #78
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I wasn't sure how to pronounce Lyra, but I always say Li-ra. Probably wrong though.
I thought Lyra and Will were too young (how old were they? 12-14?) I haven't read the stories for a while.
My favorite book is the first one (The Golden Compass, or the title of the book I read, Northern Lights).
I liked the Sally Lockhart books, as well as his others. He isn't scared to include adult themes in his books, like sex and murder.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #79
Elf Girl
Lurker

At the book signing, Phillip Pulman said Lye-ra.

Quote:
Originally posted by Agalayth
My favorite characters were Iorek Byrneson (spelling?) and Pantalaimon.
[nitpick] But Pan is part of Lyra, so isn't one of your favorite characters Lyra? [/nitpick]
Old 04-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #80
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Why? You don't have to like the whole package. I like my eyes, but I hate my butt. I like Pan, but I'm not too fond of Lyra.

Edit: Dammit. I knew I should have been pronouncing it that way! (But everytime I did, I'd either accidentally slip in Linda for some reason, or think of the Italian currency.....)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-08-2003 at 04:16 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote