Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2002, 05:56 PM   #61
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Help! I typed in Choice DM and got some kind of health food links. What should I look for it under?
I'm SO sorry, Entlover--my fault: as a medical transcriptionist, I've typed ChoiceDM before (it's a supplement as you, unfortunately, found out). Again SORRY!!!! Would you believe ChoiceRadio?

"The Moldau" is in the classical channel, though not among the new additions or top ten (at least this week), but I never have much luck playing things from Web sites -- I locate it via Windows Media Player (there's a free download at the above site): just enter "classical" in the search bar, scroll down to ChoiceRadio.com in the selections that come up, and click "play."
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 03:26 AM   #62
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I see the Moldau in a whole new light now... if you were suggesting it for LOTR music...

There's some really LOTR-esque music in the Babylon 5 movie "Thirdspace."
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:18 PM   #63
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Yes, I was indeed suggesting it for the LoTR.

Sigh...so many soundtracks, so little time.

I wonder if bmilder still has the music up -- I tried to go to the Geocities site mentioned in the first post here, but got the "this page doesn't exist" message. Of course, that was back in 1999. Clicking on the web site button in the Members listing just brought me to the Tolkien Trail page, and I wasn't sure how to proceed from there. Sure would like to hear them, if still available.

ADDENDUM, 12/15/2002: I originally came to Entmoot directly (from a Google search for Tollkien sites) rather than through the Tolkien Trail, which I just explored yesterday. Silly me! What a wonderful site this all has developed into in three years. Congratulations, Ben and all others involved.

Now, I'll just hie me over to Rivendell to listen to the music.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha

Last edited by The Lady of Ithilien : 12-15-2002 at 11:44 AM.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #64
Andrew Baggins
Sapling

Strider

Well this may sound weird but Alien Ant Farms last song on their album Anthology reminds me of LotR 'cause I was reading the books and browsing LotR sites while listening to the song and everytime I hear the song it reminds me of LotR. Weird but true...
Andrew Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:43 PM   #65
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome Andrew Baggins! and nice avatar. Looking at your signature, you might enjoy another thread called "LOTR rip-off" in the movie forum.

Anyway, there's a lot of groups out there that not only remind you of LOTR, but they actually write music about it! I suppose Blind Guardian has been mentioned already, and the Brobdingnagian Bards have a very Hobbitty LOTR theme.

The Bards at MP3.com.
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/113/...ian_bards.html

There's also Lothlorien dreamscape, who I don't like, but someone else might...

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/210/...reamscape.html
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #66
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider Great thread

Princess mononuke theme song by joe hisashi but especially The Legend of Ashitaka Theme by joe hisashi. The latter always reminded me of the first meeting of beren and luthien specifically and the lay of luthein on a whole. With it's floots and dramatic climax, reading that whole chapter in the sil it actually mentioned that Luthien was dancing to hidden floots. Very, very beautiful.

Actually, the whole princess mononuke soundtrack sounded like it should be the soundtrack of a silmarillion film.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 11-18-2006 at 10:47 PM.
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #67
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Wow this thread is old. I remember a similar thread in the Entertainment Forum about Blind Guardian. Another old thread from the days when I first joined. I doubt this band has escaped many people on this forum at this point but Blind Guardian is a power metal band that sings a a lot about Middle Earth. There are songs scattered across many of their CDs such as . . .

"The Bard's Song 1 - Into the Forest"
"The Bard's Song 2 - The Hobbit"
"Lord of the Rings"
"Gandalf the Magician"
"By the Gates of Moria"

They also have a concept album about the Silmarillion called "Nightfall in Middle Earth". This is the tracklist . .
War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Lammoth
Nightfall
The Minstrel
The Curse of Feanor
Captured
Blood Tears
Mirror Mirror
Face the Truth
Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)
Battle of Sudden Flame
Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)
The Dark Elf
Thorn
The Eldar
Nom the Wise
When Sorrow Sang
Out on the Water
The Steadfast
A Dark Passage
The Final Chapter (thus ends...)

There's another power metal band I like called Elvenking. While they don't usually make such direct references to Middle Earth like Blind Guardian does, they have an even folkier feel that usually reminds me of wood Elves. They use a lot of pipes and one singer's voice is kind of high piched (not girly high piched but just wierd enough).

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #68
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Sweet!

For some inexplicable reason, Howard Shore's music reminds me of LOTR. I can't figure out why, though...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #69
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Led Zeppelin and Blind Guardian, of course, but has anyone ever heard of Ladies Godiva? Beautiful Irish and Scandanavian music. It simply captures the spirit of the regions, where so much of Tokien's work has it's beginnings.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #70
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
Gandalf

Music that reminds me of LOTR...hmmm... There is a band that plays at the Rennfare in Texas (the big one) that is exellent. Trying to remember its name...Mukenizi? no. umm.. still thinking...... One minute. I'll go look. Anyway, they are really good. Their name is E Muzeki and I have all three of their cd's. One of their CD's is called Sindh. They remind me of Tolkein because of their celtic but mostly Gypsy style. They are really good though.
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #71
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I suggest reading LotR while listening to Carl Nielsen's Third Symphony.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #72
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Sorry to bump an old post but! As I said in another post...

One of my favorite descriptive parts of LOTR is the Withywindle valley. There is a Pink Floyd song called "Grantchester Meadows" that I always think of while reading this part. Here are some lyrics...

"In the lazy water meadow...I lay me down.
All around me, golden sunflakes...settle on the ground.

and later...

See the splashing of the kingfisher flashing through the water.
And a river of green, is sliding, unseen, beneath the trees.
Laughing, as it passes, through the endless summer
Making for the sea."

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #73
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I enjoy Celtic harp music, and a lot of it reminds me of LOTR. Some of us here were in a great joint-writing/RPG thing, and I got a new album from one of my favorite Celtic harpists, and four of the pieces just hit me as "theme songs" for four of the characters. I still think of those characters when I hear those pieces.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #74
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Shostakovich, Symphony No. 5, 4th Movement = Ride of the Rohirrim.

This rendition by Leonard Bernstein is available on Youtube. You can imagine the initial cavalry assault, the attack by the Witch-king, the death of the Witch-king and the fall of Eowyn, the death of Theoden and the bewilderment of Merry, the renewed assault of Eomer, the hopeless situation of the Riders and the arrival of the Black Ships with Aragorn at their head.

Shostakovich wrote Symphony No. 5 in 1945 in abject terror that Stalin would hate it and have him executed. It is almost as if the same Spirit that moved Tolkien moved Shostakovich as well: they could almost be telling the same tale.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #75
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

'Karelia Suite', performed by The Nice & the London Philharmonic Orchestra fits perfectly with the Ride of the Rohirrim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiJsatHFzo
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #76
Zilbanne
Enting

How about something that sounds elvish?

The Play Of Daniel, written in France in the 13th century I think, is a favorite of mine. Particularly this recording and interpretation of such an old manuscript

Ludus Danielis (The Play of Daniel)

The Harp Consort (Performer)

Andrew King (conductor)

Here is a link to it at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Ludus-Danielis...2636446&sr=1-4

I put this music on and pretend I'm at Rivendell.
To me the singing sounds very elvish.
My nephew says that is because there are lots of tenors in the chorus and that tenors sound elvish.

Unfortunately amazon removed the sound samples that used to be with the above link. I sorry to recommend something you cannot actually hear.

Okay great! This link below has an article about the music and a least a short sample of the singing with ancient violins so you can get the idea of its elvish sound.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/..._feature.shtml

Last edited by Zilbanne : 09-28-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Zilbanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #77
Zilbanne
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer View Post
Sorry to bump an old post but! As I said in another post...

One of my favorite descriptive parts of LOTR is the Withywindle valley. There is a Pink Floyd song called "Grantchester Meadows" that I always think of while reading this part. Here are some lyrics...

"In the lazy water meadow...I lay me down.
All around me, golden sunflakes...settle on the ground.

and later...

See the splashing of the kingfisher flashing through the water.
And a river of green, is sliding, unseen, beneath the trees.
Laughing, as it passes, through the endless summer
Making for the sea."
Yes I think this song captures the withywindle valley exactly! It has such a sunlight yet slow moving water feel to it.
Zilbanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #78
Scrooge
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharku View Post
If you wanted medieval-style music, there are some German bands like In Extremo or Tanzwut. Folkloristic bands which have a ME feeling could be Hagalaz Runedance, Garmarna or Dargaard.
I so rarely find someone else who likes Tanzwut and In Extremo!

The release of the movies must have caused some inspiration, as following them, Tanzwut released an album titled "Schattenreiter" ("Shadowrider"), E Nomine made a song "Die Schwarzen Reiter" ("The Black Riders"), and Oomph! made "Mein Schatz" ("My Precious"). The lyrics of thse last two, especially, make it quite clear what the inspiration was.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote