Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #741
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It is astonishing how poorly-understood some of these basic statistics are. I would say we have pretty much no idea what proportion of people are homosexual, bisexual or whatever. Principally, because, as GW says, you have major issues around what you measure: behaviour, self-identification, etc.

IIRC, the oft-quoted 10% came from Kinsey's very early research and is probably an over-estimate because of very broad inclusion criteria. The 1% reported in this census data feels nearer to the actual truth.

I agree with T and GW, however, there is likely to be a significant amount of reporting bias. When I think about people that I know, for every two "out" gays I could probably name one "in", and that might range from one-time dabblers to full-on "cures".

Even 1% is quite a lot of punters though.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #742
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's always good to go to the source. The actual study is found here: Measuring Sexual Identity: An Evaluation Report
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #743
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I've always thought of bisexuality as the norm, where culture teaches us to become hetero, homo or remain bi. I think if you take any given time factor into account, a large percentage are asexual as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #744
inked
Elf Lord

Another scientific conundrum ...
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6B52OE20101206

Somehow, I'm thinking it's more likely the dead cattle thrown overboard rather than a Zionist plot, but, hey, if they find a shark with a laser finder on its head, I'd consider Dr. Evil.

What do you think?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #745
Pitchike12
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post

Somehow, I'm thinking it's more likely the dead cattle thrown overboard rather than a Zionist plot, but, hey, if they find a shark with a laser finder on its head, I'd consider Dr. Evil.

What do you think?
I think it's nice.
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. -Gandalf
Pitchike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #746
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:

What do you think?
I'm getting strong Jaws-vibes from the articles around this incident, with the officials nearly falling over themselves saying that all is well, no danger anymore, the shark is dead etc...

With a picture of a dead shark that may or may not be the actual culprit. Finding out what species of shark attacked (the picture was of a young great white) is not un-important in finding out why the attack happened.

Still, Zionist plot is rather neat as explanations go. Might use it next time I don't get to work on time. "Sorry boss, I haven't overslept, it was a Zionist ploy..."
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #747
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:

What do you think?
I love this part - "Water sports centres said business had dried up"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #748
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Still, Zionist plot is rather neat as explanations go.
At least they're covering all the possibilities.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #749
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
if they find a shark with a laser finder on its head, I'd consider Dr. Evil.

What do you think?
Ummm, I think you clearly never watched the very educational and informative show, "Sharktopus," which was... to quote the show's self-review... "Spectaculawesome," and, "Incredimazing." A shark with a laser is ridiculous, because why would you do that when you could just combine a shark with an octopus?

That is a crazy article though... I've never understood why anyone would be willing to swim in water that they know has a shark in it. Like Wakulla Springs, where my family had a reunion once.... there was a "dividing line," but honest to God there was a freaking river that people were swimming in that had alligators in it. I think it's probably just hungry sharks...
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #750
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I've swum in water that had a shark in it. Only a wee reef shark though. I would have taken it, even without my doc martens on.

This is what it would take to stop me from getting my snorkel on:

Yes that's bears with assault rifles riding on sharks riding on unicorns.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #751
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

O_o

Never mind science, that picture alone deserves its own discussion thread.

AWESOME.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #752
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
I've swum in water that had a shark in it. Only a wee reef shark though. I would have taken it, even without my doc martens on.

This is what it would take to stop me from getting my snorkel on:

Yes that's bears with assault rifles riding on sharks riding on unicorns.
The shark must be a virgin.

What about the bear? Is it a chain effect? Do you have to be a virgin to ride a virgin riding a unicorn?

O.o

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #753
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
That is a crazy article though... I've never understood why anyone would be willing to swim in water that they know has a shark in it. Like Wakulla Springs, where my family had a reunion once.... there was a "dividing line," but honest to God there was a freaking river that people were swimming in that had alligators in it. I think it's probably just hungry sharks...
Depending on the shark species, I'd happily swim with sharks even without barriers. Alligators, not so much.

Now bears with assault rifles riding on sharks riding on unicorns, that's a whole different game!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 AM   #754
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
The shark must be a virgin.

What about the bear? Is it a chain effect? Do you have to be a virgin to ride a virgin riding a unicorn?

O.o
Hmmm, not sure, must look it up in the Marquis de Sade's handbook. The bear looks like he might be firing blanks though. Does that count?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #755
inked
Elf Lord

AAaacchhh! The joys of "greenery"!
http://news.scotsman.com/news/39Gree...nch.6672024.jp

'Green' Scotland relying on French nuclear power
Published Date: 27 December 2010
By Jane Bradley
Environment correspondent
"SCOTLAND'S wind farms are unable to cope with the freezing weather conditions – grinding to a halt at a time when electricity demand is at a peak, forcing the country to rely on power generated by French nuclear plants. "

Apparently French nuclear power is ok. (aside from inked)

"Output from major wind farms fell to as low as 2.5 per cent of their potential generation capacity during the cold snap as power demand rose to close to the highest level yet recorded, new figures have revealed.

Meteorologists say extremely cold temperatures can occur only when there is little or no wind and icy pockets of air are trapped close to the ground, prompting accusations from anti- wind-farm campaigners that wind power cannot be relied on to meet Scotland's electricity needs in the depths of winter.

The data, charted on the Balancing Mechanism Reporting System website, which the National Grid uses to monitor UK power generation, also revealed that at times when wind energy was at its lowest, back-up power had to be piped in from France, where the majority of electricity is nuclear-generated.

The Scottish Government is opposed to nuclear power, insisting no nuclear plants will be built in Scotland once Hunterston B in Ayrshire and Torness in East Lothian are decommissioned, in 2016 and 2023 respectively."

(like oil rigs other than off America and "not in our backyard" energy sources)

Now, where's the science in all this, inked wonders.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #756
Earniel

Right, because nuclear power neverevernever had any drawbacks or hidden defects when the technology was being developed.

However, it pays to have back-up systems and no over-reliance on one energy source. But I'd say that was already obvious way before renewable energy became an issue.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #757
inked
Elf Lord

2010 in review in NATURE:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1012.../4681014a.html

"2010: The year in which …

A round-up of the top science news stories of the past 12 months.

Adam Mann"
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #758
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Saw this article about a simulated flight to Mars. Thought it was interesting:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...rbit?gt1=43001

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #759
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I have been pondering the problem of getting rid of carbon-dioxide by separating the Carbon and Oxygen atoms through exposing them to intense light ie laser. Now the greatest obstacle to this cd fission method would be the excessive amount of energy that would be required to start the process.

Now the normal process is that plants takes in carbon-dioxide and emits oxygen during the day and the other way around during the night.

The daily process is governed by sunlight as we all now.

The question on my mind now is this: Is it possible to intensify the emission of oxygen from plants by exposing them to more intense light?

Glad to hear your views.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #760
Earniel

I haven't read any studies about it, but my gut instinct would be that any possible oxygen gain from that process would be minimal and that for most plant species a prolonged exposure to intense light can be harmful.

One might also first have to study the different components of sunlight and their effect on plants. Sunlight is made up of different radiations, one can't mimick sunlight with the usual standard lamps.