Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #681
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

ooc: this is great! Its makin me pee my pants

They got Toaster Strudel, Wonder Bread, I Can't Believe Its Not Butter, and questionly shaped sauseges, along with a case of Budwiser.They put it in a picic basket and went outside to eat. Pip told of his adventures and Beregond's jaw dropped.
"Whoa, man! You look like a little kid, but you've done stuff few of the old folks can brag about. I thought the Steward had you join us for the heck of it. Excuse me for being so stupid!"

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 08-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #682
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Pip got out his Pipe and blowing smoke rings looked out over the City of Minas tirith ... beregond downed a Bud and burped looking anew at the small hobbit in front of him, drinking beer and smoking in the sunlight.

"Aaagh" thought Beregond "as a prince of haflings, he must be...brave, noble and refined ..."

Pip belched loudly.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:11 AM   #683
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The sun was now climbing, and the mists in the vale below had been drawn up. The last of them were floating away, just overhead, as wisps of white cloud borne on the stiffening breeze from the East, that was now flapping and tugging the flags and white standards of the citadel. Away down in the valley-bottom, five leagues or so as the eye leaps, the Great River could now be seen grey and glittering, coming out of the north-west, and bending in a mighty sweep south and west again, till it was lost to view in a haze and shimmer, far beyond which lay the Sea fifty leagues away.

Pippin could see all the Pelennor laid out before him, dotted into the distance with residential neighbourhoods and low hegdes, garages and garden sheds, but nowhere could he see any kine or other beasts. Many highways and lesser roads crossed the green fields, and there was much coming and going: buses and cars driving towards the Great Gate, and other passing out. Now and again a neatly costumed man would drive up in his Mercedez X-3, and get out and hasten into the City. But most of the traffic went out along the main highway, and that turned south, and then bending swifter than the River skirted the hills and passed soon from sight. It was wide and asfalted, and along its eastern edge ran a broad biketrack , and beyond that a wall.

On the track dirtbikers drove to and fro, but all the street seemed to be choked with great SUV's going south. But soon Pippin saw that all was in fact well-ordered: the vehicles were moving in three lanes, one swifter, for the SUV's ; another slower, for lorries , and along the west rim of the road many smaller subcompacts buzzed passed the larger vehicles.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 08-11-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #684
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"That is the road to the vales of Tumladen and Lossarnach, and the mountain-towns, and then on to Lebennin," said Beregond. "There go the last of the lorries that bear away to refuge the aged the children, and the women that must go with them. They must all be gone from the Gate and the road clear for a league before noon: that was the order. It is a sad necessity." He sighed. "Few, maybe, of those now sundered will meet again. And there were always too few children in this city; but now there are none - save some young lads that will not depart, and may find some task to do: my own son is one of them."
Old 08-13-2005, 02:30 AM   #685
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

They fell silent for a while. Pippin gazed eastwards, somewhat scared, as if at any moment a flood of horrid orcs would come flowing over the fields.

"What is that over there?" he asked, pointing to the middle of the great curve of the River."Is that another city?"

"It was a city." said Beregond."now it's the ruin of Osgiliath, it used to be the Chief Office city of GAB, but then the Black Lawyers of the Unnamed One came with their workers, bearing black contracts of purchase, obviously with a conjural feel to them, because our architects were swept away, but we were able to defeat all the red tape that those black Lawyers put up during the early years of Denethor's company leadership, and now we have outsourced some minor functions there to keep up an appearance of doing business so the minions of Him won't have an easy time of it."

"The Black Lawyers?" said Pippin, his eyes widening in remembered fear.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:06 AM   #686
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Yes, they we're black." said Beregond."And I see that you know something of them, though you haven't spoken of them yet."

"I know of them." said Pippin, softly."But I will not speak more of them now, so near, so near." He broke off and lifted his eyes above the River, and it seemed to him that all he could see was a vast and threatening shadow. Perhaps it was mountains looming on the verge of sight, perhaps clouds, but further beyond that again a yet deeper gloom.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #687
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

" .... so near to elevenses ...." said Pippin and Beregond almost simultaneously, both grinned - the looming legal threat of the east played on both their minds and neither wanted to think just now of Black riders.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #688
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"So near the Industrial might of Mordor, you mean." said Beregond quietly."Yes, there is lies; we seldom name it, but we have ever lived in the shadow of a hostile take-over. Sometimes it seems fainter and more distant and sometimes nearer and darker. And therefore our fear and disquiet grow too. And the fell Lawyers, less than a year ago they came bearing red-taped folders ordering us off the premises. But then Boromir it was that drove them away with the help of union officials and Authenticated Architectural Bureau Security Personnel, from the western shore and and we still hold the near half of Osgiliath. For a little while. But we await a new legal onslaught there. Maybe the chielf legal onslaught of this conflict that is brewing."
Old 08-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #689
Acalewia

"When?" asked the little hobbit. " I saw the errend-riders on their dirt bikes last night. Everyone seems to be in a hurry. But now its slow again."
"Its just the deep breath before the plunge" Beregond said. "Just the deep breath."

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #690
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Why were those automatic digital beacons activated last night?" Pippin asked.

"It is over-late to send for aid when you are already besieged," answered Beregond. "But I do not know the counsel of the Chief Architect and his EOs. They have many ways of gathering news. And the CA Denethor is unlike other men: he sees far. Some say that as he sits alone in his high chamber in the Tower at night, and bends his thought this way and that, he can read somewhat of the future; and that he will at times search even the mind of the Enemy, wrestling with him. And so it is that he is old, worn before his time. But however that may be, my lord Faramir is abroad, beyond the River on some perilous errand, and he may have sent tidings."
Old 08-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #691
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"But if you would know what I think got the beacons activated, it was the news that came yestereve out of Lebennin. There is a great navy drawing near to the mouths of Anduin, manned by the corsairs of Umbar in the South. They have long ceased to fear the might of Gondor, and they have allied them with the Enemy, and now make a heavy stroke in his cause. For this attack will draw off much of the help that we looked to have from Lebennin and Belfalas, where folk are hardy and numerous. All the more do our thoughts go north to Rohan; and the more glad are we for these tidings of victory that you bring.
"And yet' - he paused and stood up, and looked round, north, east, and south - "the doings at Isengard should warn us that we are caught now in a great net and strategy. This is no longer a bickering at the fords, raiding from Ithilien and from Anórien, ambushing and pillaging. This is a great war long-planned, and we are but one piece in it, whatever pride may say. Things move in the far East beyond the Inland Sea, it is reported; and north in Mirkwood and beyond; and south in Harad. And now all realms shall be put to the test, to stand, or fall - under the Shadow."
Old 08-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #692
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Yet, Master Peregrin, we have this honour: ever we bear the brunt of the chief hatred of the Dark Lawyer, for that hatred comes down out of the depths of time and over the deeps of the Sea. Here will the law-suit fall hardest. And for that reason Mithrandir came hither in such haste. For if we fall, who shall stand? And, Master Peregrin, do you see any hope that we shall stand?"
Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #693
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Pippin did not answer. He looked at the great walls, and the towers and brave banners, and the sun in the high sky, and then at the gathering gloom in the East; and he thought of the long fingers of that Shadow: of the orcs in the woods and the mountains, the treason of Isengard, the birds of evil eye, and the Black Lawyers even in the lanes of the Shire - and of the winged terror, the Nazgûl. He shuddered, and hope seemed to wither. And even at that moment the sun for a second faltered and was obscured, as though a dark wing had passed across it. Almost beyond hearing he thought he caught, high and far up in the heavens, a cry: faint, but heart-quelling, cruel and cold. He blanched and cowered against the wall.
"What was that?" asked Beregond. "You also felt something?"
"Yes," muttered Pippin. "It is the sign of our fall, and the shadow of doom, a Fell Lawyer of the air."
"Yes, the shadow of doom," said Beregond. "I fear that Minas Tirith shall fall. Night comes. The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away."

For a time they sat together with bowed heads and did not speak. Then suddenly Pippin looked up and saw that the sun was still shining and the banners still streaming in the breeze. He shook himself. "It is passed," he said. "No, my heart will not yet despair. Gandalf fell and has returned and is with us. We may stand, if only on one leg, or at least be left still upon our knees."
"Rightly said!" cried Beregond, rising and striding to and fro. "Nay, though all things must come utterly to an end in time, Gondor shall not perish yet. Not though the walls be taken by a reckless foe that will build a hill of carrion before them. There are still other fastnesses, and secret ways of escape into the mountains. Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
"All the same, I wish it was over for good or ill." said Pippin. "I am no warrior at all and dislike any thought of battle; but waiting on the edge of one that I can't escape is worst of all. What a long day it seems already! I should be happier, if we were not obliged to stand and watch, making no move, striking nowhere first. No stroke would have been struck in Rohan, I think, but for Gandalf."
"Ah, there you lay your finger on the sore that many feel!" said Beregond. "But things may change when Faramir returns. He is bold, more bold than many deem; for in these days men are slow to believe that a captain can be wise and learned in the databases of lore and song, as he is, and yet a man of hardihood and swift judgement in the field. But such is Faramir. Less reckless and eager than Boromir, but not less resolute. Yet what indeed can he do? We cannot assault the mountains of - of yonder realm. Our reach is shortened, and we cannot strike till some foe comes within it. Then our hand must be heavy!" He smote his M-16 combat rifle.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #694
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Pippin looked at him: tall and proud and noble, as all the men that he had yet seen in that land; and with a glitter in his eye as he thought of the battle. "Alas! my own hand feels as light as a feather," he thought, but he said nothing. "A pawn did Gandalf say? Perhaps but on the wrong chessboard."

So they talked until the sun reached its height, and suddenly the digitally remastered noon-bells yet again rung, and there was a stir in the citadel; for all save the watchmen were going to their meal.
"Will you come with me?" said Beregond. "You may join my mess for this day. I do not know to what company you will be assigned; or the CA may hold you at his own command. But you will be welcome. And it will be well to meet as many men as you may, while there is yet time."
"I shall be glad to come," said Pippin. "I am lonely, to tell you the truth. I left my best friend behind in Rohan, and I have had no one to talk to or jest with. Perhaps I could really join your company? Are you the captain? If so, you could take me on, or speak for me?"
"Nay, nay," Beregond laughed, "I am no captain. Neither office nor rank nor lordship have I, being but a plain man of arms of the C Company of the Citadel. Yet, Master Peregrin, to be only a man of arms of the Guard of the Tower of Gondor is held worthy in the City, and such men have honour in the land."
"Then it is far beyond me," said Pippin. "Take me back to our room, and if Gandalf is not there, I will go where you like - as your guest."

Gandalf was not in the lodging and had sent no message; so Pippin went with Beregond and was made known to the men of the C Company. And it seemed that Beregond got as much honour from it as his guest, for Pippin was very welcome. There had already been much talk in the citadel about Mithrandir's companion and his long closeting with the Lord; and rumour declared that a Prince of the Halflings had come out of the North to offer allegiance to Gondor and five thousand rifles. And some said that when the Bikers came from Rohan each would bring behind him a halfling warrior, small maybe, but doughty.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 08-14-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #695
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Though Pippin had regretfully to destroy this hopeful tale, he could not be rid of his new rank, only fitting, men thought, to one befriended by Boromir and honoured by the CA Denethor; and they thanked him for coming among them, and hung on his words and stories of the outlands, and gave him as much food and ale as he could wish. Indeed his only trouble was to be "wary' according to the counsel of Gandalf, and not to let his tongue wag freely after the manner of a hobbit among friends.

At length Beregond rose. "Farewell for this time!" he said. "I have duty now till sundown, as have all the others here, I think. But if you are lonely, as you say, maybe you would like a merry guide about the City. My son would go with you gladly. A good lad, I may say. If that pleases you, go down to the lowest circle and ask for the McGondor establishment in the Rath Celerdain, the Electrician's Street. You will find him there with other lads that are remaining in the City. There may be things worth seeing down at the Great Gate ere the closing."

He went out, and soon after all the others followed. The day was still fine, though it was growing hazy, and it was hot for March, even so far southwards. Pippin felt sleepy, but the lodging seemed cheerless, and he decided to go down and explore the City. He took a few pints of oil to Shadowfax, but that was not needed because the bike had been well serviced. Then he walked on down many winding ways.

People stared much as he passed. To his face men were gravely courteous, saluting him after the manner of Gondor with bowed head and hands upon the breast; but behind him he heard many calls, as those out of doors cried to others within to come and see the Prince of the Halflings, the companion of Mithrandir. Many used some other tongue than the Common Speech, but it was not long before he learned at least what was meant by Ernil i Pheriannath and knew that his title had gone down before him into the City.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #696
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

He came at last by arched streets and many fair alleys and pavements to the lowest and widest circle, and there he was directed to the Electrician's Street, a broad way running towards the Great Gate. He found the McGondor in a large building of grey weathered stone with two wings running back from the street, and between them a narrow greensward, behind which was the many-windowed house, fronted along its whole width by a pillared porch and a flight of steps down on to the grass. Boys were playing among the pillars, the only children that Pippin had seen in Minas Tirith, and he stopped to look at them. Presently one of them caught sight of him, and with a shout he sprang across the grass and came into the street, followed by several others. There he stood in front of Pippin, looking him up and down.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #697
Acalewia

"Whats up?" said the lad."Where are you from? You are a stranger to the City"
"I was," said Pippin. "but they say I have become a man of Gondor."
"We are al men here. But how old are you and what is your name? I'm ten and I'm taller then you"

Old 08-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #698
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Which question shall I answer first?" said Pippin. "My father farms the lands round Whitwell near Tuckborough in the Shire. I am nearly twenty-nine, so I pass you there; though I am but four feet, and not likely to grow any more, save sideways."
"Twenty-nine!" said the lad and whistled. "Why, you are quite old! As old as my uncle Iorlas. Still," he added hopefully, "I wager I could stand you on your head or lay you on your back."
"Maybe you could, if I let you," said Pippin with a laugh. "And maybe I could do the same to you: we know some wrestling tricks in my little country. Where, let me tell you, I am considered uncommonly large and strong; and I have never allowed anyone to stand me on my head. So if it came to a trial and nothing else would serve, I might have to kill you. For when you are older, you will learn that folk are not always what they seem; and though you may have taken me for a soft stranger-lad and easy prey, let me warn you: I am not, I am a halfling, hard, bold, and wicked!" Pippin pulled such a grim face that the boy stepped back a pace, but at once he returned with clenched fists and the light of battle in his eye.
"No!" Pippin laughed. "Don't believe what strangers say of themselves either! I am not a fighter. But it would be politer in any case for the challenger to say who he is."

The boy drew himself up proudly. "I am Bergil son of Beregond of the Guards," he said.
"So I thought," said Pippin, "for you look like your father. I know him and he sent me to find you."
"Then why did you not say so at once?" said Bergil, and suddenly a look of dismay came over his face. "Do not tell me that he has changed his mind, and will send me away with the maidens! But no, the last wains have gone."
"His message is less bad than that, if not good." said Pippin. "He says that if you would prefer it to standing me on my head, you might show me round the City for a while and cheer my loneliness. I can tell you some tales of far countries in return."
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #699
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Bergil clapped his hands, and laughed with relief. "All is well," he cried. "Come then! We were soon going to the Gate to look on. We will go now."
"What is happening there?"
"The Captains of the Outlands are expected up the South Highway ere sundown. Come with us and you will see."

Bergil proved a good comrade, the best company Pippin had had since he parted from Merry, and soon they were laughing and talking gaily as they went about the streets, heedless of the many glances that men gave them. Before long they found themselves in a throng going towards the Great Gate. There Pippin went up much in the esteem of Bergil, for when he spoke his name and punched in the access code and the guard let him pass through; and what was more, he allowed him to take his companion with him.
"That is good!" said Bergil. "We boys are no longer allowed to pass the Gate without an elder. Now we shall see better."
Old 08-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #700
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Beyond the Gate there was a crowd of men along the verge of the road and of the great paved space into which all the ways to Minas Tirith ran. All eyes were turned southwards, and soon a murmur rose: "There is dust away there! They are coming!"

Pippin and Bergil edged their way forward to the front of the crowd, and waited. Car-horns sounded at some distance, and the noise of cheering rolled towards them like a gathering wind. Then there were shouts through loud-hailers, and all about them people were having a ball.
"Forlong! Forlong!" Pippin heard men calling. "What do they say?" he asked.
"Forlong has come," Bergil answered; "old Forlong the Fat, the Lord of Lossarnach. That is where my grandsire lives. Hurrah! Here he is. Good old Forlong!"

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 08-15-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Closed Thread